Top Culinary School in Penang Opens Bar 91
Well recognised for its six-star hospitality and chef training programmes, KDU Penang’s School of Hospitality, Tourism
and Culinary Arts is the first in the state to have an in-house non-alcoholic bar as a training facility.
Named Bar 91, it is modelled after an avant garde French cafe. It is built adjoined to the main production kitchen area as an experiential training facility for its apprentice chef students who independently run a food service operation as part of their studies.
“The bar serves reasonably priced breakfast and lunch meals, and is one of the training grounds for its chef students to experience running a casual food service operation,” said Cindy Loh, KDU College Culinary Arts school’s head of department.
“Students and their lecturers are responsible for much of the menu which covers international cuisine. Students have every opportunity to exhibit their skills and knowledge in menu planning and development, creative food preparation, managing costs and revenue as well as operations management. They use standard operating procedures and marketing techniques to promote their culinary product lines.”
Loh initiated the idea of the bar after having identified the students’ need for another permanent project module training facility, apart from its famous Bon Appetit fine dining training restaurant on campus.
Besides increasing its winner’s medals through various international culinary and hospitality competitions, the school has refurbished its industry-standard training suite together with Holiday Inn Resort, Penang. It will also introduce a new demo kitchen in 2014 for master classes and workshops.
KDU College Penang is an International Award-Winning Culinary School in Malaysia
Testament to its successful teaching pedagogy, KDU College’s SHTCA students are repeat award-winners at
culinary competitions locally and aboard.
6th Vietnam Culinary Challenge 2015
KDU College Penang’s Culinary Arts team won 21 awards including the coveted Best Culinary Establishment Award 2015.
Battle of the Halal Chefs 2015
- A team of approximately 50 KDU students from the IMI Diploma in Professional Chef Training programme proved their mettle, competing against amateur and professional chefs from different parts of the world. In total, the KDU team took home 1 Gold medal, 7 Silver medals, 12 Bronze medals and 7 Diplomas.
Battle of the Chefs 2014
- 35 student chefs from KDU Penang did their best at the 15th Battle of the Chefs (BOTC) on the 22-25 October 2014 at Penang SPICE by winning 58 prizes in 14 categories including team and individual categories. There were a total of 1 gold, 2 silver, 30 bronze and 25 diplomas obtained.
Bali Salon Culinaire 2014
KDU’s School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts (SHTCA) as lecturers and students bagged 23 prizes at the recent Bali
Salon Culinaire 2014 organised in conjunction with Food, Hotel and Tourism Bali 2014.
More significantly, the team’s triumph with 2 Gold Medals, 2 Silver Medals, 3 Bronze Medals and 16 Diplomas at this international challenge is once again a testament of SHTCA for producing students with outstanding culinary skills, creativity and presentation skills.
KDU College Penang culinary students and staff competed with participants from Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam and Indonesia.
MLA Young Chef Scholarship Challenge 2014
- KDU Team Daniel Foo Yong Yau and Teh Kah Hin also won the 2nd Runner-up award with RM1,500 for both cooking and presentation categories during the MLA Young Chef Scholarship Challenge 2014 in KL, making us top 3 out of 6 finalists!
Philippines Culinary Cup 2014
- On 6 to 9 August 2014, 24 chef students from KDU Penang under the supervision of Chef Muhamad Faizal competed in Philippines Culinary Cup and the team was honoured 2 silver and 7 bronze medals.
1st Halal Battle of the Chef 2014
- At the 1st Halal Battle of the Chefs Competition organised by the Chefs Association of Malaysia (Penang Chapter) at Setia SPICE in Penang, KDU Penang’s Chef and students won a total of 1 Gold, 8 Silver, 3 Bronze and 2 Diplomas.
Most Promising Young Chef Award 2014 – Tan Zhi Hong
- The Most Promising Young Chef Award winner, Chef Tan Zhi Hong receiving his certificate from YB Danny Law during the 26th Penang Chef’s Annual Dinner 2013 on January 14 2014
Tourism Universiade Student Travel Exchange Project (STEP) 2013 – South Korea
Students from KDU Penang’s School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts emerged victorious, at international competitions held in Busan, Korea and Pattaya, Thailand in 2013. In late July, six KDU College Penang – IMI Swiss Hospitality students were selected to represent not only KDU Penang but the
city of Georgetown, Penang at the Tourism Universiade Student Travel Exchange Project (STEP) 2013 held at Tongmyong University of Busan City, South Korea.
The team comprising Pon Jo Yi and Wong Yuen Yan emerged Champions in the Tourism Product Planning Category. Their entry “The Invincible Youth Adventures – 4 Days, 3 Nights Penang Tourism Package” that touted Penang’s rich cultural heritage, focusing on the distinct Hakka Village, indigenous British-colonized heritage sites and mouth-watering Penang street food, clearly won the panel of judges over.
Another team comprising Tan Hui Min Sutton and Ng Zhi Yi took home the Best Metropolitan Award in the same category with their “Penang – The Cosmopolitan Heart of the Northern Region Malaysia” proposal that highlighted Penang’s vast array of heritage and modern architecture buildings.
International Youth Chefs Challenge 2013
- International Youth Chefs Challenge 2013 held in Seoul, Korea, from 6-9 November 2013. Vince Tan Zhi Hong, Chef Chuah Lay Yen (Team Manager), Khor Ying Jia, Nicholas Joon Yong Le, Sean Lim Boon Ghee.
Battle of the Chefs 2013
- Battle of the Chef (1 gold, 5 silvers, 9 bronze, 11 diplomas and 1 certificate)
12-14 June 2013 @ Straits Quay
Pattaya Culinary Cup 2013 – Thailand
- KDU Penang’s culinary team comprising Celebrity Chef and Senior Lecturer, Chef Darren Tan and F&B Instructor, Chef
Chuah Lay Yen, along with Sean Lim – KDU Penang’s alumnus and two other members of the Chefs Association of Penang did the college and Penang proud by emerging silver medalists in the seafood category at the Pattaya Culinary Cup 2013, held in Pattaya, Thailand
Most Promising Young Chef of the Year 2012
- Khor Ying Jia, Professional Chef Training student recognized as Penang’s Most Promising Young Chef by the Penang Chapter of the Chef Association of Malaysia.
PATTAYA CITY GOURMET SEAFOOD CHALLENGE 2012
- Representing Chef Association of Malaysia Penang Chapter, KDU’s is Chef Darren Tan Yeok Ping – Team Leader, Chef Chuah Lay Yen and Chef Khor Ying Jia compete with 15 teams to clinch Silver Medal over 3 days competition.
ASTRO VAANAVIL’S “BABA’S & U” SHOW
- KDU Penang’s Chef Lecturer Aravinthan was selected to be Guest Chef in Baba’s & U cooking show in Astro Vaanavil. KDU Chef Students are taught by the experts.
MPPP COOKING IN THE PARK 2012
- Professional 3 Course Western Set
Tan Wen Yee & Ong Ling Ming
- 1st Runner Up:
Tchey Soon Wei & Na Haw Feng
- 2nd Runner Up:
Lee Choon Kheng & Lim Zi Zi
- Aprentice 3 Course Western Set
Tan Shi Kee & Pon Jo Yi
- 1st Runner Up:
Goh Taw Siang & Choy Chern Pang
THE MALAYSIA BOOK OF RECORDS
Power Chef Challenge & The Malaysia Book of Records :
Longest Chocolate Cream Bun Line.
PENANG CHEF’S CHALLENGE 2012
- Team Black Box
4th Placing – Ong Kar Chong, Teoh Swee Loon, Ng Joo Heng, Thi Yi Chong
- Apprentice Main Course – Fish/Seafood
Diploma : Michael Loh Yet Mao
Bronze : Chuah Keat Yong
- Apprentice Main Course – Poultry
Gold : Tong Yuan Shen
- Apprentice 3 Course Western Set
Bronze : Victor Ooi Xie Lun
FOOD & HOTEL MALAYSIA 2011
- Meat – Main Course Chef Aravinthan Shanmugam –Bronze
- Fish – Main Course Chef Chua Lay Yen – Diploma
- Plate Dish Chef Yuzrem Ezri – Silver
- Buffet Platter – Display Chef Yuzrem Ezri – Bronze
- Chocolate – Display Chef Syamsul Idham Musa – Diploma
- Apprentice – Salmon Main Course Tan Shi Ying – Silver
- Team – Remy & Linguine Tan Shi Ying & Roslilawati –Diploma
- Apprentice – 4-Course Set Menu Choo Jie Lai – Bronze
- Fish – Main Course Puvaneswaran – Diploma
BATTLE OF THE CHEF 2011
- Ethnic Ketupat and Rendang
Silver – Chef Syamsul Idham Musa
- Main Course: Fish/Seafood
Bronze – Chef Aravinthan Shanmugam, Dallon Cheah Phee Woi
- Idaho Potato Cooking Competition
Bronze & Special Prize – Chef Aravinthan Shanmugam
- Plate Dish – Display
Bronze – Chef Yuzrem, Tang Khee Jin
- Buffet Platter – Display
Diploma – Chef Yuzrem
- Modern Asian Cuisine Restaurant
Bronze – Chef Syamsul Idham Musa, Chef Syed Shahrizan, Ms. Cindy Loh , Roslilawati, Ong Chong Guan
- Main Course: Poultry/Meat
Bronze – Dallon Cheah Phee Woi
- Main Course: Fish/Seafood – Apprentice
Silver – Sim Kang Ping, Agnessia T., Tan Kai Jing, Tan Shi Ying
- Main Course: Poultry/Meat – Apprentice
Diploma – Ch’ng Chee How, Adrian Goh
- Main Course Western Set – Apprentice
Bronze – Sim Kang Ping, Teh Min San, Tang Wei Kun
- Amuse Bouche
Diploma – Foong Hoe Jun
- Nestle Gourmet Ice Cream
3rd Placing – Loh Ghee Ching
- Brown Rice Cooking Competition
Bronze – Reiner Lim Li Ern
- Individual Fruit and Vegetable Carving
Diploma – Sean Khaw Chee How
Bronze – Tong Beng Soon
- Modern Western Hot Cooking – Apprentice
Bronze – Friedrich Chern Choon Han, Revathy a/p Palakastin, Teh MiaoHong
‘Most Promising Young Chef of the Year’ in 2011
- Ng Yee Thien
Career Options For Culinary Graduates in Malaysia
- Hospitality and Food Service: Hotels, resorts, restaurants and catering establishments
- Consultancy: Management consultancy, technical consultancy, project management, product development, destination development
- Education and Training: Hotel, Culinary and tourism training institutions
- Entrepreneurship: Managing your own hotel and restaurant business
- Food Industry: Food producers and distributors
- Health: Catering for hospitals, clinics, health resorts, spas and retirement homes
- Research & Development: Research Chefs (Culinology) working with food scientists.
Study at KDU College Penang
KDU College Penang (KDU Penang) began its chapter when it opened its door to its first batch of students in 1991. All
its programmes are accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
KDU Penang was twice awarded an all-round 5-star College status by Ministry of Education (MOE) in theMalaysian Quality Evaluation System for Private Colleges (MyQuest) Audit.
The College boasts of state-of-the-art facilities which include industry-standard 5 star kitchens, a Recording Studio, Art Gallery and Design Studios, VLSI engineering labs, Games and Multimedia Computing Design Labs, Business Boardrooms and Lounge, Mock Hotel Suites and many more.
All this helps ensure that every KDU student is well prepared to be gainfully employed upon graduation – an indisputable fact that has strengthened the institution’s impressive graduate employment ratio record. 95% employment rate within the first 6 months upon graduation.
KDU College Penang offers scholarships to deserving students. Affordable hostel accommodation with free bus shuttle to and from campus are offered as well. To study at the best college for culinary arts in Penang, students can click on this link for registration.
EduSpiral Consultant Services- Your Personal Online Education Advisor
Established since 2009, EduSpiral Consultant Services helps provide information and counselling on courses and universities in Malaysia. EduSpiral Consultant Services also represents Northampton University, UK, MDIS Singapore and Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
EduSpiral Consultant Services represents the best colleges and universities in Malaysia offering a wide range of choices for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get.
These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable. EduSpiral provides in-depth information and counseling on their courses so that students are able to make the right choice.
If you are still not sure what to study, please contact us and we will send you a free EduSpiral Career Assessment Form.
Please contact us for more details.
- Whatsapp: +601111408838
- Wechat/Line: EduSpiral88
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/eduspiral
- Foursquare: www.foursquare.com/eduspiral
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/eduspiral
- Follow EduSpiral: www.twitter.com/eduspiral
- Be my friend: www.facebook.com/eduspiral1
- Like EduSpiral: www.facebook.com/eduspiralcs
- Message me: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.eduspiral.com
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.