Top 10 UK Undergraduate Degree in Furniture & Product Design in Malaysia
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
First City University College started in 1993 to conduct of art & design programmes in Malaysia in partnership with the top ranked design university, Nottingham Trent University, UK.
First City University College became the first and only centre in South East Asia to conduct the Nottingham Trent University’s Undergraduate Honours degree courses.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.
Nottingham Trent University, UK partnered with the award-winning First City University College to conduct of art & design programmes in Malaysia.
First City University College is the first and only centre in South East Asia to offer Nottingham Trent University’s Honours degree courses majoring in Graphic Design, Furniture & Product Design and Interior Architecture & Design.
Nottingham Trent University’s School of Art & Design has a long history in art & design education that dates back to 1843. Today, it is one of the major providers of art & design education at tertiary level in the UK.
Design students in Malaysia can now obtain a UK Top 10 ranked undergraduate degree at First City University College. In the Guardian University guide 2016: University league table for Design & Crafts ranks Nottingham Trent University at 10th Place. This allows for First City University College students to obtain one of the best design degrees in Malaysia.
First City University College is acknowledged to be one of the best colleges for design in Malaysia having been the first to offer the degree in Graphic Design and Furniture & Product Design.First City University College is an award-winning design college having won many awards as a testament of their strength in design.
Other than the 3+0 UK Honours Degree programmes in art & design,First City University College also conducts its own Diploma in Interactive Design and Diploma in Interior Design.
Ranking of First City University College ‘s Design Partner University, Nottingham Trent University, UK
Students pursuing the 3+0 UK undergraduate degree majoring in Graphic Design, Furniture & Product Design and Interior
Architecture & Design will receive the degree award from the top ranked Nottingham Trent University, UK.
- In the 2016 League Table Ranking by the Complete University Guide, Nottingham Trent University is ranked at 53
- In the 2016 League Table Ranking by the Complete University Guide for Art & Design Nottingham Trent is ranked 25
- The Guardian University guide 2016: University league table ranks Nottingham Trent University at 42.
- The Guardian University guide 2016: University league table for Design & Crafts ranks Nottingham Trent University at 10th
- Nottingham Trent University has risen nine places in this year’s Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide. The overall position of 52nd means the University is also ranked among the top ten modern universities in the UK.
Award-winning Design Students at First City University College
First City University College design students have won many awards such as:
- Lee Jian Ru received the Silver Prize winner of the Student category of 2013 MIID’s MIDA Awards and Foh Vui Siang won the Best Green Innovation Award and also received Honorary Mention
- Gan Su Yi and Cheok Yi Chi won 2nd and 3rd prize respectively in the 2013 Bristol Student Design Competition organised by the leading and highly regarded furniture manufacturers in providing office furniture and seating- in collaboration with Majlis Rekabentuk Malaysia (MRM)
- Lee Hui Ying, clinched second prize for the MIFF Furniture Design Competition 2014
- Wil Ken bagging a notable award, 2012 Emerging Designer of the Year – Student category of the MalaysianInstitute of Interior Designers’ (MIID) Malaysian Interior Design Awards (MIDA) 2012
- Lim Meng Yeu, 23, a graduate from KBU International College emerged as the Gold winner of the Student category of MIID’s MIDA Awards 2012 while Chu Sze Yong obtained Silver, and Honorary Mentions for Eu Wil Ken and Lee Xuan Xuan
- Julius Lok Juin Chern and Chiang Siew Leng as the winners of the inaugural Philips Lightover Challenge 2012
- Third place in the 2012 Veloster Rev it Up Inter-College Challenge by Hyundai
- Thirteen of KBU’s graduands have bagged the First Class Honours degree awards in the field of Graphic Design, Interior Architecture and Design and Software Engineering, in which the degree programmes are conducted in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK. Chu Sze Yong (Interior Architecture & Design) graduate was presented the Student of the Year Award.
- Bernadette Quah Paik Choo was named the winner of the Ideation Award 2011 by Malaysia International Furniture Fair (MIFF)
- Quah Paik Choo Bernadette & Lim Meng Yeu, received Honorary Mentions in the Student category of MIID’s MIDA Awards
- Quah Paik Choo Bernadette emerged as the Silver winner of the Student category of MIID’s MIDA Awards 2010
- Phum Boon Eng from KBU International College beat 91 other participants to win the MIECO Designer’s Choice Awards (MDCA) 2009 Student’s Category. The MDCA 2009, was jointly organized by MIECO Sdn Bhd and MIFF Sdn Bhd in conjunction with the Malaysian International Furniture Fair 2009 (MIFF 2009)
Entry Requirements to Join the Design Courses at First City University College
The diploma is 2.5 years and after that, you can enter into Year 2 of the Nottingham Trent degree
programme. You will not be able to take the PTPN Loan for the Certificate, Diploma or Degree.
You will need at least 3 credits in SPM to join the Diploma. After that, you can enter into Year 2 of the Nottingham Trent University, UK degree for another 2 years.
First City University College offers value for money and the Diploma is probably the most affordable and the students have access to excellent facilities. In addition, you will be getting a UK degree at an affordable price.
The Diploma programmes available are:
You can also go into the Foundation in Design after your SPM with 5 credits. After the Foundation, you can choose from the following degrees awarded by Nottingham Trent University, UK:
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design
- BA (Hons) Furniture & Product Design
- BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design (3+0) at First City University College
The Best BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design (3+0) at KBU International College
This is a 3 year course that aims to produce designers able to meet the changing and evolving needs of the design profession in the 21st Century. The course is designed to provide you with a professional and creative approach to all
aspects of furniture and product design. Teaching and learning is primarily studio based with a number of supporting lectures, seminars and tutorials.
There is also access to workshops for model making and computer suites for the development of computer-aided design (CAD) skills.
You will typically undertake a combination of projects with associated tutorials, as well as written and presentation based assignments. All of this work contributes to the development of your subject knowledge and understanding.
Programme Structure for the UK 3+0 BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design Degree awarded by Nottingham Trent University at First City University College
Year 1 Subjects for the Furniture and Product Design Degree at First City University College
- Design Practice : Furniture & Product Design 1
- Design Studies 1
The Year 1 modules are designed to train the students on techniques such as computer aided design (CAD), hand drawing
skills, modeling, verbal, electronic and written presentations. The modules will develop students’ awareness of material properties and production processes whilst enhancing their understanding on manufacturing’s relationship with design.
Year 2 Subjects for the Furniture and Product Design Degree at First City University College
- Design Practice : Furniture & Product Design
- Design Studies 2
At the end of Year 2, students will be able to develop and utilize skills to produce sketches, renderings, models, test rigs, prototypes, simulations and virtual solutions which are directed towards the industry. It will also prepare students to present their ideas while taking into consideration business imperatives.
Year 3 Subjects for the Furniture and Product Design Degree at First City University College
- Design Practice : Furniture & Product Design Project 3
- Critical Theory
The modules will encourage students to maximize their potential by creating a portfolio of their work. It will promote the application of students’ skills, knowledge and understanding of design methodologies in creative realization of products.
- All Malaysian and International students are required to take 5 MPU compulsory subjects.
Furniture designer-makers, product designers, industrial designers, production developers, marketers, business managers, computer-aided designers in interior design, architectural, design practices and manufacturing organisations.
Nottingham Trent University, UK
The School of Design was established in 1993 and has an exclusive agreement with Nottingham Trent University, UK, to
conduct of art & design programmes in Malaysia. KBU International College is the first and only centre in South East Asia to conduct the University’s Honours degree courses in Graphic Design and Interior Architecture & Design.
Nottingham Trent University’s School of Art & Design has a long history in art & design education that dates back to 1843. Today, it is one of the major providers of art & design education at tertiary level in the United Kingdom.
Excellent Design Facilities at First City University College
First City University College is the best value for money where their facilities are excellent with a football field, basketball courts, multi-purpose hall, computer labs, multimedia lab, Mac lab, photography studio, recording studio, White Canvass Gallery,print studio, foundation studio, drawing studio, CAD lab, woodwork lab, 3-D printer, interior design lab, etc.
There is ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, print studios, workshops, photo labs, and a range of other equipment to facilitate students in their projects. KBU International College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer.
First City University College does not advertise a lot because their fees are low and the aim of the college is to provide quality education at an affordable price to Malaysians.
Studying art & design at First City University College
- Nottingham Trent School of Art & Design at NTU has a history of more than 160 years in conducting Art & Design
- KBU is the first and only college in South East Asia to conduct NTU’s Honours degree programmes in Graphic Design and Interior Architecture & Design.
- Franchised degree programmes, in which 100% of the partner university’s syllabus is adopted.
- The degree certificate awarded is identical to that awarded by our partner university in UK.
- Students can complete the entire degree programme in KBU or opt to transfer to the partner university in UK if they have completed Year 1 or Year 2 successfully.
- The BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design and BA (Hons) Graphic Design have been granted full MQA accreditation.
- Learning is both conceptual-based and skill-based, giving graduates an edge in employability.
- Excellent facilities and teaching and learning resources to equip graduates with the skill sets required by industry.
Design Students Taught by qualified and experienced lecturers at First City University College
Dr. Debbie Gan Siew Siew, Deputy Head, School of Art & Design, currently manages and teaches the undergraduate graphic
design programme at First City University College. Her experience in higher education spans over 6 years, teaching at BA and MA level in the UK and Malaysia.
She received her MA with Distinction in Graphic Design and subsequently her PhD at the Nottingham Trent University, exploring the role graphic design in the national branding of emergent nations through a variety of design research methods.
She has been invited to speak at various talks and design events, and has participated in several national and international design conferences. Debbie is also a design practitioner, providing consultations on design projects on a regular basis.
She is currently writing a book, co-authored with Dr. Anthony Crabbe. Debbie
hopes that the combination of design,
teaching, and research practices, as well as her national and international influences will enable her to develop and share a greater understanding of the world in which we live.
Debbie Gan Siew Siew, the first and only winner of the 2005 Keith Short Scholarship awarded by the Nottingham Trent University (NTU), UK., is now at the university to pursue herMA in Graphic Design.
The Keith Short Scholarship Award offers full scholarship to students and is open to students ofNTU overseas collaborative partners, including Malaysia.Debbie who is the former student of KBU International College (KBU) graduated with a BA (Hons) in Graphic Design (an NTU franchised programme conducted at the School of Design, KBU).
About First City University College
First City University College (FCUC) is a private higher education institution established in 1990 by the First Nationwide Group, First City University College has a purpose-designed, fully equipped campus with sports and recreational facilities, and located on a 13-acre site within Bandar Utama.owner and developer of the 1000 acres fully integrated township/commercial district of Bandar Utama. It was formerly known as KBU International College until it was upgraded to University College status in 2015.
There is ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, print studios, workshops, photo labs, and a range of other equipment to facilitate students in their projects. First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer.
Sports and recreational amenities will include indoor basketball court, futsal court and also, dance and drama studio. The new hostel will be able to accommodate over 900 students.
Students at First City University College will, therefore, receive a holistic education. The main objective of FCUC is to provide higher education opportunities to young Malaysians and foreign nationals in a wide range of academic and professional fields such as Engineering, Computing/ICT/Software Engineering, Hospitality, Tourism, Business andArt & Design. Quality education is the hallmark of FCUC with the intended outcome of producing highly employable graduates in a knowledge-based economy.
In line with First City University College’s mission of providing Quality Education and achieving a high level of employability of its graduates, the University College collaborates with established universities in the United Kingdom to offer 3+0 degree programmes, as well as professional bodies and established examination bodies.
Quality education at First City University College is further underpinned by the university college’s compliance with the requirements of the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and the constant monitoring carried out by the College’s very own Quality Assurance Department and FCUC’s foreign university partners.
From EduSpiral’s experience, FCUC offers very affordable certificate, diploma, degree and postgraduate programmes that are supported by excellent facilities. Their fees are inexpensive compared even to some shoplot colleges! Students are definitely getting more than their worth at First City UC.
First City University College provides a safe off-campus accommodation which is just across the road. Deserving students can apply for the scholarships as well. Students interested to register online at First City University College can click on this link.
EduSpiral Consultant Services – Your Online Education Advisor
EduSpiral Consultant Services is a full-service educational counseling & planning firm that guides students from across Malaysia to help them choose the right course and university. Highly experienced professional staff will talk to you and get to know you before giving advise on which course that will best fit you and your budget.
Established in 2009, EduSpiral is an appointed representative for top reputable private colleges & universities in Malaysia & Singapore.
EduSpiral Consultant Services represents the best colleges and universities in Malaysia offering a wide range of choices for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get.
These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable. EduSpiral provides in-depth information and counseling on their courses so that students are able to make the right choice.
If you are still not sure what to study, please contact us and we will send you a free EduSpiral Career Assessment Form.
Please contact us for more details.
- Whatsapp: +601111408838
- Wechat/Line: EduSpiral88
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/eduspiral
- Foursquare: www.foursquare.com/eduspiral
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/eduspiral
- Follow EduSpiral: www.twitter.com/eduspiral
- Be my friend: www.facebook.com/eduspiral1
- Like EduSpiral: www.facebook.com/eduspiralcs
- Message me: email@example.com
- Website: www.eduspiral.com