Best in Malaysia for BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design at First City University College
First City UC is acknowledged to be one of the best universities for design in Malaysia having been the first to offer the undergraduate degree majoring in Graphic Design, Interior Architecture & Design and Furniture & Product Design.
The 3-year BA (Hons) Furniture & Product Design programme at First City University College aims to produce designers who are able to meet the changing and evolving needs of the design profession in the 21st century. The course is designed to provide students with a professional and creative approach to all aspects of furniture and product design.
Students after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels with 5 credits may go for the 1-year Foundation in Art & Design and then continue into the 3.5-year BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design degree at First City University College. Alternatively, with 3 credits in SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels, students may enter into the Diploma in Interior Design for 2.5 years and then enter into Year 2 of the Furniture & Product Design Degree.
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Find Out the Course Details for the BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design Degree in Malaysia at Award-Winning First City University College
The 3-year BA (Hons) Furniture & Product Design programme at First City University College aims to produce designers who are able to meet the changing and evolving needs of the design profession in the 21st century.
The course is designed to provide students with a professional and creative approach to all aspects of furniture and product design.
Teaching and learning is primarily studio-based with a number of supporting lectures, seminars and tutorials. Intakes are in January and August of each year.
Graduates of BA (Hons) Furniture & Product Design at First City University College will be able to:
- Exhibit creativity and show a personal aesthetic sensitivity through his/ her design
- Apply self-management techniques, independent study and explore within the context of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity
- Demonstrate the ability for critical engagement and formulate independent judgements through exploration of design.
First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer in Malaysia. The college provides ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, 3D printer, Mac Lab, woodwork workshop, print studios, workshops, photo labs, recording studio, and a range of other equipment to help students in their design projects.
This programme provides knowledge and practical skills for students seeking a career as professional furniture and product designers. Students will gain in-depth knowledge of materials and their properties, be adept in industry-related software and cultivate design and conceptual thinking skills. They will participate in furniture and product exhibitions and work on collaborative projects with the industry.
Students will undergo internships with various furniture & product design companies and manufacturers.
The Programme objectives are to:
- Produce innovative and practical professional designers equipped with critical and analytical skills.
- Provide students with necessary technical skills and develop their social awareness in the furniture & product design industry.
- Provide students with necessary soft skills for personal development as well as a range of transferable skills to support their career development.
- Produce graduates with entrepreneurial and professional skills.
- Prepare students for postgraduate study and lifelong learning.
YEAR 1 Subjects for the BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design at First City University College
- Design Studio 1
- Design Communication 1
- Material and Technology 1
- Critical Studies 1
- Communication Writing Skills
- Design Studio 2
- Design Communication 2
- Material and Technology 2
- Critical Studies 2
- Communication Presentation Skills
YEAR 2 Subjects for the BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design at First City University College
- Design Studio 3
- Computer Aided Design 1
- Critical Studies 3
- Professional Practice
- Elective Subjects (select one)
- Visual Merchandising
- Sustainable Design
- Design Studio 4
- Computer Aided Design 2
- Critical Studies 4
- Design and Portfolio
- Industrial Placement
- Elective Subjects (select one)
- Principles of Economic
- Consumer Behavior
YEAR 3 Subjects for the BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design at First City University College
- Design Studio 5
- Project Management
- Research Methodology and Proposal
- Design Studio 6
- Design and Exhibition
- Elective Subjects (select one)
- Creative Entrepreneurship
- Design Competition and Special Project
- Industrial Placement
- Furniture Designer-Makers
- Product Designers
- Industrial Designers
- Production Developers
- Business Managers
- Computer-Aided Designers in Interior Design
- Design Practices and Manufacturing Organisations
About First City University College
First City University College (FCUC) is a private higher education institution established in 1990 by the First Nationwide Group, First City University College has a purpose-designed, fully equipped campus with sports and recreational facilities, and located on a 13-acre site within Bandar Utama.owner and developer of the 1000 acres fully integrated township/commercial district of Bandar Utama. It was formerly known as KBU International College until it was upgraded to University College status in 2015.
There is ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, print studios, workshops, photo labs, and a range of other equipment to facilitate students in their projects. First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer.
Sports and recreational amenities will include indoor basketball court, futsal court and also, dance and drama studio. The new hostel will be able to accommodate over 900 students.
Students at First City University College will, therefore, receive a holistic education. The main objective of FCUC is to provide higher education opportunities to young Malaysians and foreign nationals in a wide range of academic and professional fields such as Engineering, Computing/ICT/Software Engineering, Hospitality, Tourism, Business andArt & Design. Quality education is the hallmark of FCUC with the intended outcome of producing highly employable graduates in a knowledge-based economy.
In line with First City University College’s mission of providing Quality Education and achieving a high level of employability of its graduates, the University College collaborates with established universities in the United Kingdom to offer 3+0 degree programmes, as well as professional bodies and established examination bodies.
Quality education at First City University College is further underpinned by the university college’s compliance with the requirements of the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and the constant monitoring carried out by the College’s very own Quality Assurance Department and FCUC’s foreign university partners.
Education Pathway to Join the Design Courses at First City University College
Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits in the relevant subjects may enter the Foundation in Design course before continuing on to Year 1 of any of the Design degree programmes.
Alternatively, students may enter the Diploma in Graphic Design and then enter into Year 2 of the Graphic Design degree programme.
Students with the necessary 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels can apply for the PTPTN Loan for their Diploma. There is also noPTPN loan for Foundation studies. PTPN Loan is also available for the degree course.
First City University College offers value for money and the Diploma is probably the most affordable and the students have access to excellent facilities.
- STPM – Minimum 2Cs and, a Credit in Bahasa Melayu, a Pass in English and Arts (Pendidikan Seni) in SPM or Pass Portfolio Interview for those who did not take Arts in SPM
- UEC – Minimum 5Bs
- GCE A-LEVEL – Minimum 2Cs
- FOUNDATION/MATRICULATION – Pass with minimum CGPA 2.0
- DIPLOMA – Pass with minimum CGPA 2.0 in Diploma in Interior Design/Art and Design/Design/Multimedia Design/Interior and Architecture Design and a pass in English in SPM or its equivalent
- Other equivalent qualifications which are recognized by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
Pass Interview and Drawing Test
Pass Malaysian University English Test (MUET) Band 1
First City University College is a Top Award-Winning Design University College in Malaysia
As evidence that First City UC is the best university college for interior design in Malaysia, the university and their students have won numerous awards for Interior Design as well as Graphic Design. Winning the awards is proof that First City UC is producing top graduates in interior design.
- 15th Annual International Design Awards 2020, Los Angeles, USA
- Frankie Ong – BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design – Silver Award
- International Furniture Design Innovation (IFDI) 2020
- Reven Oh Gein Heir – BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design – Gold Award
- Beh Wei Herng – BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design – Gold Award
- International Design Awards 2019 (IDA)
- Teh Wei Jie – BA (Hons) Interior Architecture degree won the GOLD AWARD for the Interior Design Student Category
- 24th Malaysian International Furniture Fair (MIFF) Furniture Design Competition 2018 – Champion
- Asia Young Designer Award 2017 – Best Green Innovation And Honorary Mention
- Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID) Reka Awards 2017
- MIJF Jewellery Design Awards 2017 Ring Catergory – Top 5 Finalist
- 16th International CONVR 2016 Best PhD Student Paper Award Dr. Siti Norzaini Bt Zainal Abidin
- ASPaC 2017 Merit Award – Charmaine Wong and Sharon Chai of BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- ASIA PACIFIC INTERIOR DESIGNER AWARD 2016 Silver Winner
- IAI DESIGN AWARD Design Star Award 2015
- National Outstanding Educator Award 2015 (Design Education – College Level) Ms Chua Huwi Huwi
- Nippon Paint Young Designer Awards 2014:
- Gold Winner for Interior Design is Lim Yong An
- Lim Yong An also won the “Best Green Innovation Award”.
- Ernest Loh Yin-Sen won Silver
- Soo Mei Lian won “Best Colour Choice”
- Yii Sii Lin won an Honorary Mention
- Best College for Interior Design also went to KBU International College
- Best Lecturer for Interior Design went to KBU’s Chua Huwi Huwi.
- RSA Genovasi Malaysian Awards 2014
- Social Entrepreneurship Category Winners – Mandy Choong Mun Yee, Lee Man Kit, Kim Eunkyung, Goh Pei Hua and Yong Lee Chee
- Digital Age Category Winner – Daniel Chua Yong Ho
- MIFF 2014 Awards– MIFF 2014 Young Designers Category
- Father’s Day – VIVA Drawing Competition 2014
- Conqueror Happy Design Contest 2013/14
- MIJF Jewellery Design Competition 2014 Award
- Lee Hui Ying, clinched second prize for the MIFF Furniture Design Competition 2014
- Nippon Paint Young Designer 2012 competition, KBU staff and students made a sweep of the awards with:
- Regional Winner – Lim Meng Yeu – Platinum/Malaysia beating Gold winners from Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore & China
- Gold/Malaysia – Lim Meng Yeu
- Silver/Malaysia – Chu Sze Yong
- Honorary Mention/Malaysia – Ee Wil Ken and Lee Xuan Xuan
- Best College/University – KBU International College
- Best Lecturer – Chua Huwi Huwi
- Wil Ken bagging a notable award, 2012 Emerging Designer of the Year – Student category of the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers’ (MIID) Malaysian Interior Design Awards (MIDA) 2012
- Lim Meng Yeu, 23, a graduate from KBU International College emerged as the Gold winner of the Student category of MIID’s MIDA Awards 2012
- Lee Jian Ru received the Silver Prize winner of the Student category of 2013 MIID’s MIDA Awards and Foh Vui Siang won the Best Green Innovation Award and also received Honorary Mention
- Philips Lightover Challenge 2013 Winners – Julius Lok Juin Chern and Chiang Siew Leng
- Gan Su Yi and Cheok Yi Chi won 2nd and 3rd prize respectively in the 2013 Bristol Student Design Competition organised by the leading and highly regarded furniture manufacturers in providing office furniture and seating- in collaboration with Majlis Rekabentuk Malaysia (MRM)
- Third place in the 2012 Veloster Rev it Up Inter-College Challenge by Hyundai
- Thirteen of KBU’s graduands have bagged the First Class Honours degree awards in the field of Graphic Design, Interior Architecture and Design and Software Engineering, in which the degree programmes are conducted in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK. Chu Sze Yong (Interior Architecture & Design) graduate was presented the Student of the Year Award.
- Lee Jin Yin and Lydia Low, Year 2 Graphic Design students, collaborated with IM Magazine to produce their magazine cover for the July 2012 issue.
- Katherine Goh, Year 2 Graphic Design student, won the Consolation Prize under the New Media Category for the Peri-fy Your Art Competition 2012
- Bernadette Quah Paik Choo was named the winner of the Ideation Award 2011 by Malaysia International Furniture Fair (MIFF)
- Phum Boon Eng from KBU International College beat 91 other participants to win the MIECO Designer’s Choice Awards (MDCA) 2009 Student’s Category. The MDCA 2009, was jointly organized by MIECO Sdn Bhd and MIFF Sdn Bhd in conjunction with the Malaysian International Furniture Fair 2009 (MIFF 2009)
What are the Interior Design Facilities at First City UC?
First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer in Malaysia. The university provides ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, 3D printer, Mac Lab, woodwork workshop, print studios, workshops, photo labs, recording studio, and a range of other equipment to help students in their design projects.