Best University in Penang for Swiss Culinary Arts Diploma at KDU Penang University College
Top Culinary School in Malaysia for IMI Diploma in Professional Chef Training at KDU Penang University College
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
KDU Penang University College School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts (SHTCA) is one of the pioneers in the northern region in providing top hospitality and culinary arts education. The top culinary arts school in Penang has produced industry-ready graduates with 90% graduate employability rate for the past 24 years, with a solid programme that is both practical and academically sound. As the premier hospitality, tourism and culinary arts training provider in the northern region, KDU Penang’s School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts produces top quality industry ready students.
Through a partnership with IMI University Centre in Lucerne, Switzerland in 1997, KDU Penang became the first private college to offer students a dual-award programme for a Swiss diploma in hospitality and culinary arts. This provides students with the opportunity to obtain prestigious Swiss qualifications without having to go abroad making KDU the best university college for culinary arts and hospitality in Penang.
At KDU Penang University College, the true potential of its students is unleashed through practical simulations, outcome-based learning and experimental learning initiatives. In addition to academics, campus life here is constantly abuzz with exciting activities throughout the year. From organising community services to Penang heritage tours to the annual Power Chef Competition, students enrich their learning experiences with a myriad of out-of-classroom events.
KDU Penang University College have won numerous awards internationally and nationally thus proving that they are the best in Malaysia for the culinary arts programme. They have produced top chefs for the past 30 years with a solid programme that is both practical and academically sound. Graduates will also receive an internationally recognised certificate from IMI Switzerland.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.
The best Culinary Arts School in the Northern Region is KDU Penang University College
KDU’s School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts (SHTCA) was established in 1991, as the pioneer in the northern region, as well as the first renowned hospitality, tourism and culinary arts school in Penang, providing quality education and knowledge to future hoteliers and chefs. Since the partnership of SHTCA with IMI International Management Institute Switzerland (the birth place of hospitality education) in 1997, KDU has quickly become the first private university college to offer students the opportunity to obtain a prestigious Swiss diploma and degree qualification. With numerous events and activities throughout the year (such as community service, Penang heritage tours, competitions, hotel familiarisation for new students, hospitality week, international days), students’ campus life is enlivened and their learning experience enriched
It’s time to unleash your hidden talents in the hospitality, tourism and culinary arts industry!
SWISS HOSPITALITY PROGRAMME – SWISS EUROPEAN PROGRAMME SYLLABUS
As the pioneer in hospitality education since 1893, the Swiss reputation for hospitality excellence is respected and trusted globally. Experience a renowned European syllabus which incorporates the very best of Swiss hospitality.
AWARD WINNING LECTURERS – TAUGHT BY AWARD WINNING CHEFS AND HOSPITALITY GURUS!
Lecturers and chefs are experts from the hotel, tourism and culinary fields. Students are taught by Master Chefs, Celebrity Chefs, F&B specialists and Tourism Researchers. Academic staff is highly qualified and passionate in grooming the next generation of chefs and hoteliers.
INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIPS – INTERNATIONAL 5-STAR INDUSTRY TRAINING
Students can choose from our wide network of top 5-star establishments locally as well as internationally, including pathways from internship to management traineeship in global hotel groups. The international exposure gained from a worldwide internship placement gives our graduates an edge in experience and a wider global perspective.
OUTSTANDING ALUMNI – AWARD WINNING STUDENTS
As our graduates are made into chef de cuisine, executive sous chefs, general managers, entrepreneurs, award winning chefs and baristas as well as hospitality educators, they have been sought after by employers since 1993. Three of our graduates Ng Yee Thien, Khor Ying Jia and Tan Zhi Hong were awarded ‘Most Promising Young Chef of the Year’ in 2012, 2013 and 2014 respectively. The school recently won Best Culinary Establishment 2015 in the Vietnam Culinary Challenge 2015.
INDUSTRY READY – HANDS-ON PROGRAMME SYLLABUS
Our students are prepared for the industry through a unique work-based training syllabus with the Malaysia Centre for Tourism and Hospitality Education (MyCenTHE) diploma programme, where a combination of work and study modes are incorporated into the curriculum. This method allows students to make an easier transition from college to the workplace.
5-STAR FACILITIES – 5-STAR KITCHENS, RESTAURANT, AL-FRESCO CAFÉ AND HOSPITALITY TRAINING SUITE
The school furnishes students with RM 6 Million worth of learning facilities in equivalence to professional commercial kitchens, F&B outlets and hotels in the industry. This ensures that they are familiar with industry standard tools, and are equipped with practical knowledge and skills to remain competitive and marketable in the future.
IMMERSION IN SWITZERLAND – STUDY IN IMI, LUCERNE FOR 10 DAYS!
Get a total experience with an all-inclusive study trip to the IMI campus, located in scenic Lucerne, Switzerland. Lucerne is the fourth top tourist destination in Switzerland and was voted top 12 in the world by TripAdvisor. This trip provides an insight into the world of Swiss hospitality and tourism, with visits to world famous attractions, Swiss chocolate factories and artisan shops.
Best Culinary Arts Facilities in Penang
Today, KDU Penang University College houses 5-star training facilities such as
- KDU-Holiday Inn Hospitality Training Suite (hotel suite mock up room & front office mock up area)
- ‘Bon Appétit’ fine dining restaurant
- Bar 91
- Six Professional 5-star commercial kitchens including our newly launched Carême (Patisserie)
- Escoffier (Butchery) demo kitchens which is also the only training kitchen in the northern region specializing in art of Butchery.
Culinary students at KDU University College Penang are led by a dedicated professional team of lecturers and chefs who are passionate about quality and excellence. The team creates enriching and unique learning experiences for the students and this can be testified by the hundreds of chef students who have won many awards in the culinary competitions locally and internationally.
With many hands-on experiences and exposure gained throughout their studies with KDU Penang, its graduates have been sought after by employers, with them being made chef de cuisine, executive sous chefs, general managers, entrepreneurs, award winning chefs and baristas as well as hospitality educators.
Programme Structure for the IMI Diploma in Professional Chef Training at KDU Penang University College
Year 1 Subjects for the Culinary Arts Diploma at KDU College Penang
- Nutrition & Food Hygiene
- Fundamentals of Menu Planning
- Introduction to Hospitality Studies
- Patisserie I
- Business Language & Culture I: English
- Business Language & Culture II: Introductory French
- Garde Manger
- Food Production I
- Food & Beverage Cost Control
- Patisserie II
- Personal Development Planning I
- Kitchen Management & Supervision
Year 2 Subjects for the Culinary Arts Diploma at KDU Penang University College
- Introduction to Marketing
- Kitchen Maintenance & Design
- Culinary Arts & Design I
- Personal Development Planning II
- Food Production II
- Project Module
- Culinary Arts & Design II
Year 3 Subjects for the Culinary Arts Diploma at KDU Penang University College
- Industrial Placement
Upon completion of the IMI Diploma in Professional Chef Training at KDU Penang University College, graduates can find top jobs in the culinary industry or continue on to degree studies at KDU University College at their new campus in Glenmarie in Shah Alam, Selangor.
KDU University College Penang is an International Award-Winning Culinary School in Malaysia
Testament to its successful teaching pedagogy, KDU College’s SHTCA students are repeat award-winners at
culinary competitions locally and aboard.
6th Vietnam Culinary Challenge 2015
KDU College Penang’s Culinary Arts team won 21 awards including the coveted Best Culinary Establishment Award 2015.
Battle of the Halal Chefs 2015
- A team of approximately 50 KDU students from the IMI Diploma in Professional Chef Training programme proved their mettle, competing against amateur and professional chefs from different parts of the world. In total, the KDU team took home 1 Gold medal, 7 Silver medals, 12 Bronze medals and 7 Diplomas.
Battle of the Chefs 2014
- 35 student chefs from KDU Penang did their best at the 15th Battle of the Chefs (BOTC) on the 22-25 October 2014 at Penang SPICE by winning 58 prizes in 14 categories including team and individual categories. There were a total of 1 gold, 2 silver, 30 bronze and 25 diplomas obtained.
Bali Salon Culinaire 2014
KDU’s School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts (SHTCA) as lecturers and students bagged 23 prizes at the recent Bali
Salon Culinaire 2014 organised in conjunction with Food, Hotel and Tourism Bali 2014.
More significantly, the team’s triumph with 2 Gold Medals, 2 Silver Medals, 3 Bronze Medals and 16 Diplomas at this international challenge is once again a testament of SHTCA for producing students with outstanding culinary skills, creativity and presentation skills.
KDU College Penang culinary students and staff competed with participants from Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam and Indonesia.
MLA Young Chef Scholarship Challenge 2014
- KDU Team Daniel Foo Yong Yau and Teh Kah Hin also won the 2nd Runner-up award with RM1,500 for both cooking and presentation categories during the MLA Young Chef Scholarship Challenge 2014 in KL, making us top 3 out of 6 finalists!
Philippines Culinary Cup 2014
- On 6 to 9 August 2014, 24 chef students from KDU Penang under the supervision of Chef Muhamad Faizal competed in Philippines Culinary Cup and the team was honoured 2 silver and 7 bronze medals.
1st Halal Battle of the Chef 2014
- At the 1st Halal Battle of the Chefs Competition organised by the Chefs Association of Malaysia (Penang Chapter) at Setia SPICE in Penang, KDU Penang’s Chef and students won a total of 1 Gold, 8 Silver, 3 Bronze and 2 Diplomas.
Most Promising Young Chef Award 2014 – Tan Zhi Hong
- The Most Promising Young Chef Award winner, Chef Tan Zhi Hong receiving his certificate from YB Danny Law during the 26th Penang Chef’s Annual Dinner 2013 on January 14 2014
Tourism Universiade Student Travel Exchange Project (STEP) 2013 – South Korea
Students from KDU Penang’s School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts emerged victorious, at international competitions held in Busan, Korea and Pattaya, Thailand in 2013. In late July, six KDU College Penang – IMI Swiss Hospitality students were selected to represent not only KDU Penang but the
city of Georgetown, Penang at the Tourism Universiade Student Travel Exchange Project (STEP) 2013 held at Tongmyong University of Busan City, South Korea.
The team comprising Pon Jo Yi and Wong Yuen Yan emerged Champions in the Tourism Product Planning Category. Their entry “The Invincible Youth Adventures – 4 Days, 3 Nights Penang Tourism Package” that touted Penang’s rich cultural heritage, focusing on the distinct Hakka Village, indigenous British-colonized heritage sites and mouth-watering Penang street food, clearly won the panel of judges over.
Another team comprising Tan Hui Min Sutton and Ng Zhi Yi took home the Best Metropolitan Award in the same category with their “Penang – The Cosmopolitan Heart of the Northern Region Malaysia” proposal that highlighted Penang’s vast array of heritage and modern architecture buildings.
International Youth Chefs Challenge 2013
- International Youth Chefs Challenge 2013 held in Seoul, Korea, from 6-9 November 2013. Vince Tan Zhi Hong, Chef Chuah Lay Yen (Team Manager), Khor Ying Jia, Nicholas Joon Yong Le, Sean Lim Boon Ghee.
Battle of the Chefs 2013
- Battle of the Chef (1 gold, 5 silvers, 9 bronze, 11 diplomas and 1 certificate)
12-14 June 2013 @ Straits Quay
Pattaya Culinary Cup 2013 – Thailand
- KDU Penang’s culinary team comprising Celebrity Chef and Senior Lecturer, Chef Darren Tan and F&B Instructor, Chef
Chuah Lay Yen, along with Sean Lim – KDU Penang’s alumnus and two other members of the Chefs Association of Penang did the college and Penang proud by emerging silver medalists in the seafood category at the Pattaya Culinary Cup 2013, held in Pattaya, Thailand
Most Promising Young Chef of the Year 2012
- Khor Ying Jia, Professional Chef Training student recognized as Penang’s Most Promising Young Chef by the Penang Chapter of the Chef Association of Malaysia.
PATTAYA CITY GOURMET SEAFOOD CHALLENGE 2012
- Representing Chef Association of Malaysia Penang Chapter, KDU’s is Chef Darren Tan Yeok Ping – Team Leader, Chef Chuah Lay Yen and Chef Khor Ying Jia compete with 15 teams to clinch Silver Medal over 3 days competition.
ASTRO VAANAVIL’S “BABA’S & U” SHOW
- KDU Penang’s Chef Lecturer Aravinthan was selected to be Guest Chef in Baba’s & U cooking show in Astro Vaanavil. KDU Chef Students are taught by the experts.
MPPP COOKING IN THE PARK 2012
- Professional 3 Course Western Set
Tan Wen Yee & Ong Ling Ming
- 1st Runner Up:
Tchey Soon Wei & Na Haw Feng
- 2nd Runner Up:
Lee Choon Kheng & Lim Zi Zi
- Aprentice 3 Course Western Set
Tan Shi Kee & Pon Jo Yi
- 1st Runner Up:
Goh Taw Siang & Choy Chern Pang
THE MALAYSIA BOOK OF RECORDS
Power Chef Challenge & The Malaysia Book of Records :
Longest Chocolate Cream Bun Line.
PENANG CHEF’S CHALLENGE 2012
- Team Black Box
4th Placing – Ong Kar Chong, Teoh Swee Loon, Ng Joo Heng, Thi Yi Chong
- Apprentice Main Course – Fish/Seafood
Diploma : Michael Loh Yet Mao
Bronze : Chuah Keat Yong
- Apprentice Main Course – Poultry
Gold : Tong Yuan Shen
- Apprentice 3 Course Western Set
Bronze : Victor Ooi Xie Lun
FOOD & HOTEL MALAYSIA 2011
- Meat – Main Course Chef Aravinthan Shanmugam –Bronze
- Fish – Main Course Chef Chua Lay Yen – Diploma
- Plate Dish Chef Yuzrem Ezri – Silver
- Buffet Platter – Display Chef Yuzrem Ezri – Bronze
- Chocolate – Display Chef Syamsul Idham Musa – Diploma
- Apprentice – Salmon Main Course Tan Shi Ying – Silver
- Team – Remy & Linguine Tan Shi Ying & Roslilawati –Diploma
- Apprentice – 4-Course Set Menu Choo Jie Lai – Bronze
- Fish – Main Course Puvaneswaran – Diploma
BATTLE OF THE CHEF 2011
- Ethnic Ketupat and Rendang
Silver – Chef Syamsul Idham Musa
- Main Course: Fish/Seafood
Bronze – Chef Aravinthan Shanmugam, Dallon Cheah Phee Woi
- Idaho Potato Cooking Competition
Bronze & Special Prize – Chef Aravinthan Shanmugam
- Plate Dish – Display
Bronze – Chef Yuzrem, Tang Khee Jin
- Buffet Platter – Display
Diploma – Chef Yuzrem
- Modern Asian Cuisine Restaurant
Bronze – Chef Syamsul Idham Musa, Chef Syed Shahrizan, Ms. Cindy Loh , Roslilawati, Ong Chong Guan
- Main Course: Poultry/Meat
Bronze – Dallon Cheah Phee Woi
- Main Course: Fish/Seafood – Apprentice
Silver – Sim Kang Ping, Agnessia T., Tan Kai Jing, Tan Shi Ying
- Main Course: Poultry/Meat – Apprentice
Diploma – Ch’ng Chee How, Adrian Goh
- Main Course Western Set – Apprentice
Bronze – Sim Kang Ping, Teh Min San, Tang Wei Kun
- Amuse Bouche
Diploma – Foong Hoe Jun
- Nestle Gourmet Ice Cream
3rd Placing – Loh Ghee Ching
- Brown Rice Cooking Competition
Bronze – Reiner Lim Li Ern
- Individual Fruit and Vegetable Carving
Diploma – Sean Khaw Chee How
Bronze – Tong Beng Soon
- Modern Western Hot Cooking – Apprentice
Bronze – Friedrich Chern Choon Han, Revathy a/p Palakastin, Teh MiaoHong
‘Most Promising Young Chef of the Year’ in 2011
- Ng Yee Thien
Career Options For Culinary Graduates in Malaysia
- Hospitality and Food Service: Hotels, resorts, restaurants and catering establishments
- Consultancy: Management consultancy, technical consultancy, project management, product development, destination development
- Education and Training: Hotel, Culinary and tourism training institutions
- Entrepreneurship: Managing your own hotel and restaurant business
- Food Industry: Food producers and distributors
- Health: Catering for hospitals, clinics, health resorts, spas and retirement homes
- Research & Development: Research Chefs (Culinology) working with food scientists.
EduSpiral Consultant Services- Your Personal Online Education Advisor
EduSpiral Consultant Services represents the best colleges and universities in Malaysia offering a wide range of choices for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get.
These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable. EduSpiral provides in-depth information and counseling on their courses so that students are able to make the right choice.
If you are still not sure what to study, please contact us and we will send you a free EduSpiral Career Assessment Form.
Please contact us for more details.
- WhatsApp: +601111408838
- Wechat/Line: EduSpiral88
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/eduspiral
- Foursquare: www.foursquare.com/eduspiral
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/eduspiral
- Follow EduSpiral: www.twitter.com/eduspiral88
- Be my friend: www.facebook.com/eduspiralsik
- Like EduSpiral: www.facebook.com/eduspiralcs
- Message me: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.eduspiral.com
Posted on June 8, 2017, in Best College in Malaysia, Best University, Career Choices, Choosing the right course, Choosing the right university, Culinary Arts, Penang Colleges, Study in Malaysia, Top Universities and tagged best college in Penang for Culinary Arts Diploma, best Culinary Arts Diploma in Penang, Best University in Penang for Culinary Arts Diploma, IMI Diploma in Professional Chef Training at KDU Penang University College, Swiss Culinary Arts Diploma at KDU Penang University College, top college in Penang for Culinary Arts Diploma, top Culinary Arts Diploma in Penang, top culinary school in malaysia, top university in Penang for Culinary Arts Diploma. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.