Four Malaysian Universities Sweep Top Positions at Huawei ICT Competition in China
Four universities from Malaysia brought glory to the nation as they emerged the top winners in the global final of the sixth Huawei Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Competition Global Final 2021-2022 recently.
The universities – Multimedia University (MMU), Universiti Malaya (UM), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), and Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS) emerged champions after competing with over 2,000 colleges and universities from more than 85 countries.
Themed “Connection, Glory, Future”, the event involved the global participation of countries from the Middle East, Europe, Latin America and Asia and Malaysia has been actively participating in the Huawei ICT Competition since its inception in the country.
Hosted by the Huawei ICT Academy, the competition this year was held from June 17 to June 25 in Shenzhen, China and attracted more than 150,000 students.
“With this competition, we aim to cultivate talents to drive the digital transformation agenda and to build a sound digital talent ecosystem. While this promotes friendly rivalry, the Huawei ICT Competition is no ordinary competition. It also steers career pathways for the participants,” said Huawei Malaysia’s chief executive officer Michael Yuan adding that the company will continue to improve and nurture digital skills and technological literacy of the young talents of Malaysia.
Before securing their spot in the finals, the four universities have first clinched the first-place position in the sixth Huawei Asia Pacific (APAC) ICT Competition 2021-2022 after going head-to-head with 14 other universities in the Asia Pacific region.
Multimedia University (MMU) received the Grand Prize in the Cloud Track with Universiti Malaya (UM) winning first place in the same category. In addition to that, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) emerged first in the Network Track.
Yuan applauded the victory of the Malaysian teams in the competition.
“I believe the determination and dedication for innovation shown by the young generation of Malaysia will help accelerate the nation’s digital transformation agenda. They are the backbone of Malaysia’s future and have proven their abilities through the sixth Huawei ICT Competition Global Final 2021-2022,” he said.
The global final competition tested students in three categories – Practice, Innovation, and Industry including areas of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data, and cloud computing.
The evaluation was structured towards resolving real-life problems, proposing solutions with social and business values, and designing models with comprehensive functions.
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Award-Winning Multimedia University (MMU) Beat 132 teams from 43 countries to win Grand Prize in Cloud Track
Selwyn Darryl Kessler, Loo Wei Xiong, and Wong Ee Thiing from the Faculty of Computing and Informatics (FCI) and Faculty of Information Science and Technology (FIST) won the Grand prize together with three teams from the other countries under the category of Cloud Track.
The result was released in a live broadcast on 25th June 2022, which was participated by Prof. Ir. Dr. Hairul Azhar Abdul Rashid, Vice President of Research, Industrial Collaboration and Engagement (VP RICE) together with Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr. Junaidi Abdullah, the Dean of FCI and Dr. Ng Kok Why, the team mentor. Prof. Hairul delivered a short speech during the session.
The team competed on the world stage virtually via Shenzhen, China on 18th June 2022. A total of 132 teams from 43 countries and regions participated on the world stage. Under the Cloud Track, the participants took 8 hours non-stop to answer a few difficult lab questions involving four areas: Cloud, Storage, Big Data, and Artificial Intelligence during the competition. The competition served as an avenue for students to compete and exchange ideas, boost their ICT knowledge, and foster their capabilities in innovating through new technologies and platforms.
About Multimedia University (MMU)
Multimedia University (MMU), a tertiary education institution set up through Universiti Telekom Sdn Bhd (UTSB), a wholly owned subsidiary of TM, fulfils the noblest of corporate social responsibilities – taking up the challenge of educating the next generation the nation’s leaders and knowledge workers. As the first private university in Malaysia, MMU developed the pioneer model for the successful establishment of private universities in the nation, paving the way for the growth of the private tertiary education sector.
As the university at the heart of the MSC, MMU also serves as a catalyst for the development of the high tech ICT industry of the nation, parallel to the Silicon Valley-Stanford model in the United States.
Multimedia University offers various courses at its 3 campuses located throughout Malaysia. The campuses are supported by excellent facilities, qualified & experienced lecturers and its tuition fees are affordable as well.
As part of TM’s initiative to further develop the ICT industry in the nation as a whole, MMU serves to fulfil the nation’s human resource needs as it grows into a knowledge economy. The establishment of MMU as a research university also serves to benefit the nation’s ICT industry to be a creator and not just a consumer of technology. Through the establishment of a local private university, the nation can train its required human resources within its borders, a sound strategy from the economic management perspective.
MMU’s continued growth and sustainability is a clear indication of TM’s strong commitment towards the development of the field of education and research in the nation.
The quality of MMU lecturing is one of the highest among Malaysian universities. All academic staff in MMU use the multimedia mode of instruction. Course materials of all subjects are stored online and are accessible via the intranet at any time and place in the world. We look forward to meet the nation’s demand for excellence in education through multimedia technology. The approach combines classroom instruction, computer-based interactive multimedia learning mode as well as open interaction among academic staffs, students as well as the industry communities. We hope to create a learned community that collects, preserves and disseminates state-of-the-art knowledge in multimedia-related areas.
An Entrepreneurial University with Industry-Ready Programmes
- A Well-rounded Education
Be empowered with the fundamentals of your field of study that also incorporate entrepreneurial skills and expertise which are revlevant to your respective industries and job markets.
- Industry in Campus
Be connected and gain benefit from our state-of-the-art labs established by our industry collaboration with ZTE, Microsoft, Intel and many more.
- Ready for Industry
Be enthused with Start-up Schemes from the Entrepreneur Development Centre (EDC) to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship ventures
Financial Assistance at Multimedia University (MMU)
- Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi Nasional (PTPTN) is the Malaysian government body offering national educational loan for Malaysian students enrolling for Foundation, Diploma and Degree programmes. Amount of the loan is subject to PTPTN’s approval . PTPN Loan is available for Foundation programmes at Multimedia University (MMU).
- Skim Prihatin Pendidikan 1Malaysia (SPP1M) or 1Malaysia Education Caring Scheme is additional financial assistance to deserving students to pursue quality degree qualifications in identified disciplines and courses. This additional financial assistance will act as a top-up fund to their existing fun or scholarship.
- Scholarships are available to deserving students.
Conducive Learning Environment at Multimedia University (MMU)
Learning goes beyond books. At MMU, you will have all these various facilities and settings that will make learning fun, comfortable, and memorable.
- Convenient accommodation. A calm and safe base for you to re-energise yourself every day, both on-campus and within walking distance off-campus.
- Intelligent labs. High-tech labs to boost the teaching and learning process. These are the Innov8 Lab, SiRi Learning Lab, SMART Lab, and an e-Moot Court.
- Digital Libraries. Well-stocked libraries with print and digital resources to cover your reading needs and habit.
- Cutting edge mind-set. Surround yourself with like-minded individuals who are seeking for ways to best prepare themselves for a dynamic and challenging future.
- Extensive infrastructure. Computers galore, campus-wide Wi-Fi, 24-hour security, ample parking, food and drink outlets, and many others.
- Location. Cyberjaya – An intelligent city housing many high-tech firms that could one day become your workplace. Melaka – A city bustling with life and activities that is a wealth of experience to your life.
- Healthy lifestyle. Multiple sports tracks and fields, indoor sports centres, various courts and pitches, in addition to numerous clubs and societies. Olympic-sized swimming pool A swimming pool fit for champions right in the heart of Cyberjaya.
- Vibrant Campus Life. Multimedia University (MMU) keeps their beautiful campus exciting with engaging events and going-ons all year round. With over 100 clubs and societies, you can choose to practise martial arts, go dragon boating or attend an anime screening after class is over. Besides engaging with the University’s international community, student exchange programmes are also available to enhance learning experience.
Major Awards & Achievements for Multimedia University (MMU) in Malaysia and Globally
- MMU Makes Its Debut in THE Impact Rankings 2021
Multimedia University (MMU) made its debut in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2021, where the varsity is ranked at 601-800 worldwide. The impact rankings measure global universities’ success in delivering the 17 United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
- MMU is Ranked 351- 400 in the THE Young University Rankings 2021
MMU continues to be ranked in the 351 – 400 band, the same one we occupied when we were first included in the Times Higher Education (THE) Young University Rankings 2021.
- MMU Remains Strong in THE Asia University Rankings 2021 (Top 10 in Malaysia)
Multimedia University (MMU) remains strong in the Times Higher Education (THE) Asia Rankings for the year 2021. The university is ranked at 401+ among universities across Asia. The rankings also listed MMU as Top 10 among all universities in Malaysia.
- MMU Continues Its Excellence Standing in the 401-500 World Rank in THE World University Rankings 2021 (Emerging Economies)
MMU continues to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with other higher-education giants of the world. MMU maintains its ranking with significant improvements in citations, international outlook, and teaching.
- MMU Standing Among TOP 7 Private Universities in Malaysia in the QS World University Rankings 2021
MMU remains strong when the varsity is being counted as one of the Top 7 among Private Universities in Malaysia in the QS World University Ranking (WUR) 2021. Furthermore, we are very proud that the WUR has placed us in the Top 2 in Computer Science, and in the Top 3 in Electrical & Electronics amongst Malaysian private varsities.
- Top 5 – Malaysian Private University in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
MMU enters the rankings as the 34th best university in the ASEAN region and is listed among the top few universities in Malaysia. This is the first time that MMU has qualified to enter the THE rankings.
- Top 200 in QS Asia University Ranking 2020
QS World University Rankings is an annual publication of university rankings by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS). Multimedia University falls within the Top 200 QS Asia University Ranking 2020 due to our holistic education and excellent academic reputation.
- Awarded Silver Award under the Education & Learning Category at Putra Brand Awards 2019
The awards, also known as the People’s Choice Awards, recognises brand building as an integral business investment and is measured by consumer preference. The Putra Brand Awards is organised by the Association of Accredited Advertising Agents Malaysia (4As). It is the only brand awards in Malaysia endorsed by Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation (MATRADE) and supported by the Branding Association of Malaysia (BAM), the Malaysian Advertisers Association (MAA), and the Media Specialists Association (MSA)
- Premier Digital Tech Institution Status 2019
The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) and the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) awarded eight universities and five polytechnics with the Premier Digital Tech University and Preferred Digital Tech Polytechnic status respectively. MMU stood among seven other universities in awarding the status, together with Universiti Malaya, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Universiti Teknologi Mara, Tunku Abdul Rahman University College, Sunway University, Taylor’s University and Asia Pacific University. MMU further fortified its position as the Premier Digital Tech Institution when the university is continuously recognised as one of the senior institutes in Premier Digital Tech which was accorded by the Ministry of Higher Education and Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC)
- Top 3 – Most Entrepreneurial Private University MOHE Entrepreneurial Award (MEA) 2016 The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) introduced MOHE Entrepreneurial Awards (MEA) to act as a catalyst for the creation of a conducive entrepreneurial ecosystem and holistic entrepreneurship development in Malaysian Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in 2012. The award was adapted from the Times Higher Education “Entrepreneurial University Award of the Year’”, sponsored by the National Centre for Entrepreneurship in Education, United Kingdom.
- Top 200 in QS Asia University Ranking 2018
QS World University Rankings is an annual publication of university rankings by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS). Multimedia University falls within the Top 200 QS Asia University Ranking 2018 due to our holistic education and excellent academic reputation.
- Self-Accreditation Status Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) 2017
The Malaysian Qualifications Agency or the MQA is a statutory body in Malaysia set up under the Malaysian Qualifications Act 2007 to accredit academic programs provided by educational institutions providing post secondary or higher education and facilitate the accreditation and articulation of qualifications.
- Malaysian Firms Most Preferred IT Graduates Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific 2017
Multimedia University is committed in serving Malaysian industries and become the most preferred source of skilled knowledge workers in the field of information technology (IT), computer science and digital technologies. Produced by Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific, the report evaluated talent availability and suitability in Malaysia covering both local and foreign graduates for the country’s digital economy sector.
- 97% employability within 6 months of graduation – Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) Tracer Study & MOE Kemaskini Status Pekerjaan 2015
MMU produces industry-ready graduates who enjoy high employability among the most sought after in the industry. The 2015 surveys conducted by MMU and the Higher Education Ministry of Malaysian showed 97% of its graduates secured employment within six months of completing studies – one of the highest employment rate for a private Malaysian university. MMU nurtures entrepreneurial skills among students to ensure that they become employers if they choose in the future.
- Premier Digital Tech University Status 2017
The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) and the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) awarded eight universities and five polytechnics with the Premier Digital Tech University and Preferred Digital Tech Polytechnic status respectively. MMU is one of seven other universities in Malaysia awarded the status
- Top 200 QS World University Ranking for Electrical & Electronic Engineering, 2015-2017
- Top 300 QS World University Ranking for Computer Science & Information Systems, 2017
- Service Section, Management System Certification Department SIRIM QAS International Sdn. Bhd. Awarded with MS ISO 9001:2015
Students Benefit from Multimedia University (MMU) Industry Collaboration
MMU has long made a way of life of welcoming with open arms any institution and organization keen to collaborate with us. Whether they’re from academia, the government, or industry, MMU is always eager to explore new ways of entering mutually-beneficial arrangements, especially when it involves innovating new methods, services and/or knowledge.
By being involved in innovation on so many fronts, MMU hopes to benefit its ultimate stakeholders and its students. Being innovators lead MMU academics into becoming better lecturers, not just at their respective subjects, but in teaching the students on how to become innovators themselves. We have found that students who innovate not only master their subjects better, but also mature faster and tend to better acquire invaluable soft skills.
This is how MMU has come to collaborate with some of the biggest names of the global industry, a veritable who’s who of the world, including ZTE, Nokia, Dell, Intel, Microsoft, Cisco and Motorola. Our work with them ensure that our students will become a new generation of innovators, regardless of how challenging the industry becomes.
Excellent Facilities & Resources
Comprehending the needs of community within the surrounding area. The facilities available vary from basic equipments (chairs, tables, sofa set, etc) to halls and rooms (Dewan Tun Canselor, Multipurpose Hall, Mini Stadium, Exam Hall, Main Hall, Lecture Hall, Theatre Hall, Classroom, Tutorial Room, Labs and Meeting Room).