9 tips on how to choose the best course to study after SPM, O-Levels, UEC, STPM, or A-Levels
How to choose the Best Course to Study after the SPM, O-Levels, UEC, STPM or A-Levels in Malaysia
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
After having counseled thousands of students since working in the education line in 2000, I have come up with 9 tips that will help students after SPM , O-Levels, UEC, STPM or A-Levels to help you choose the right course to study in Malaysia or Singapore that would best fit you.
I have students telling me that they have taken personality tests but were not accurate. We must remember that these tests are not 100% accurate and needs to be used together with a counselor. Furthermore, the tests are designed by westerners who choose their courses based on interests while as Malaysians, we not only have to choose based on interests but have to take into account which course can give us a career that is stable and can make money.
Most great things begin with a plan. Your future career and studies should be no different. A plan will give you something to work towards. It’ll also help you make the most of the opportunities that come your way. It can be confusing to choose the right course after SPM. You should carefully think about what are the options available to you, look at your results, interests and budget. If you are not sure what to study, do ask a trained counselor and always make decisions based on evidence and facts. The decisions that you make now, can change your life forever.
For more information on how to choose the best course to study in private universities please contact 01111408838
Best Tips on Choosing the Right Course & Career in Malaysia
1 What’s the results in your Secondary School?
- What you got for your actual SPM or UEC can be used as a guide. This is a good measure of whether you are actually capable of doing well in the course or not.
- Be realistic. I have had student who did not do well in Maths but want to study accounting or IT, or passed Add Maths and Physics but would like to study engineering. Your results are a measurement on whether you can succeed in the course or not.
- If you did not meet the entry requirements for a particular course means you should consider other courses that would fit you better.
- If your results show that you are strong in Modern Maths, you can consider Accounting, Finance, Banking or IT.
- Scoring high for Add Maths and Physics would make engineering courses like Mechanical, Mechatronic, Civil, Electrical, Electronic, or Telecommunications good choices to consider
- Strong in Chemistry and Add Maths would make Food Science and Nutrition, Chemical Engineering and Petroleum Engineering your top picks.
- Being a numbers person would mean that you can consider IT, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Actuarial Science, Accounting and Finance.
- An outgoing personality with good results in Sejarah, Moral and English would make Mass Communication, Public Relations, Advertising, Teaching, English & Communication, TESOL, Early Childhood Education and Marketing as your choices.
- We have to look at the subjects and compare with your personality, interests and hobbies as well to see whether it fits you.
2. What are the Courses that you are Interested in? Make a List
- List the fields of study that interest you, and come up with a list of courses you would consider studying based on these interests.
- Add the topics that you were most interested in during school as well as jobs.
- Make a list of your hobbies.
- List down your favorite subjects at school
- A list of your extra-curricular activities can provide ideas of what type of person you are.
4. Do a thorough Research on the Course that you are Interested in
- The internet, newspapers, television and people around you are the best sources of information.
- Check online about the courses you are interested in and find out about the career prospects and the other info.
- Find facts and evidence to support the career and job prospects.
- Starting salaries and how much you can earn eventually.
- Go to education fairs and Open Days to see the campuses and collect the brochures.
4. Ask the right people about what to study at top universities in Malaysia
- Speak to professionals in your field of interest and find out what it is like working in that job.
- People who have completed university courses can give you an insight from a student’s perspective – they can tell you the pros and cons.
- Listen to people who are experienced in the industry or know what they are talking about. Not just simply listen to Aunties or Friends who don’t know what they are talking about.
- Talk to your school counselor or an experienced career guidance counselor. This is important as you would not ask a Doctor on how to repair your car so you must ask the right person to help you.
- Ask your parents and friends what type of personality you are and what could fit you however note that some parents may not be objective and want you to choose the course they want for you.
5. Cost of studying a diploma or degree in Malaysia
- Talk to your parents and find out what is their budget. There is no point going around asking about studies overseas and then find out that you can only afford to study in Malaysia.
- You need to know the budget for your studies in order to choose the right university that fits you. There is no point to choose a university and then find out that you cannot afford the fees
- Affordability is another aspect you need to consider while deciding on your course, as well as the additional costs that occur, such as text books, field trips etc.
- Financial aid available are basically scholarships and the PTPN Loan.
6. Career opportunities in Malaysia for the Course that You are Interested in
- Look at the career prospects of the course before selecting one. Consider various factors such as income, job security, stress, responsibility and other benefits while researching a profession.
- Look at statistics, evidence and facts. Not just listen to your auntie say that she thinks a particular career is excellent or a university counselor say that the course is good based on their experience.
7. Look at the subjects offered in the Course at the University that you are Interested in
- Read through the course outline of the course(s) you want to apply for. See if the subjects interests you.
- Have a look at the subjects you must undertake and the types of learning, assignments and examination tasks involved.
8. Quality of the Private University in Malaysia
- Compare course outlines and academic facilities between universities to make sure you make the right choice for your educational needs and preferences.
- If possible, visit the university and their Open Days to get a feeling of what the campus is like.
- If you choose a university with extremely low fees, then don’t be surprised at the low quality of education there. If you pay for a Kancil, you will get Kancil power. However, it doesn’t mean that you should pay so much until you are just paying for the lake only. Pay what is value for money.
- Choose a university that promotes the use of the English language.Research by Star newspaper has shown that professionals with good command of the English language has a 25% higher salary and chances of promotion. Some graduates wonder why they can’t find a job because they cannot communicate in simple English when they chose a university that has lower fees but with a Mandarin-speaking environment.
- An overseas education is not better but it will help expose you to a different culture and expand your thinking abilities.Although rankings are a guide but in Malaysia, some universities are ranked high but are low in terms of quality.
- The SETARA 2013 & 2011 Ranking system by MQA can be used as a guide in choosing the best universities in Malaysia to study at
9. Choose the Best Course to Study in Malaysia that fits you
- Choosing a course or career is not a science, it is a process in finding out who you are and what you are good at. Some people find out faster while others take more time.
- A personality or career test is not magic or science that will show you what your future is. They are just a guide.
- You can always work in other fields after you graduate as long as it is not a technical field. Engineers and Doctors have switched to Finance or Marketing careers.
Best Degree Programs in Malaysia
- There are a lot of graduates with diplomas & degrees. In order to be competitive in the job market, you should get at least a degree.
- Starting salaries for Degree holders in Malaysia range from RM2,800 onwards depending on which course you graduate from.
- Generally, most degrees take up 3 years of studies. Engineering takes 4 years because they need BEM accreditation. Medicine and Dentistry takes 5 years while Pharmacy takes 4 years.
- You can apply for the PTPN Loan for the Degree course.
- The starting salary is slightly higher than a diploma holder but if you are good, the promotions come faster.
- You will learn more and develop more critical thinking skills.
- Your career upward mobility is faster.
- There are many degree courses that you can choose to study in Malaysia. If you plan to work in Malaysia, then you should choose degree courses that would be in demand in Malaysia and has a high salary so that you can support your family.
Some of the Best Pre-University & Degree Programmes to Study in Malaysia
Best Pre-University Programmes in Malaysia
- Foundation in Engineering
- Foundation in Arts
- Foundation in Science
- Foundation in Business
- Foundation (General)
- Foundation in Design
- Pre-University Programmes
Top Engineering and Built Environment Courses in Malaysia
- Mechatronic engineering
- Civil engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering or Aeronautical Engineering
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
- Materials engineering
- Applied Geology
- Quantity Survey
Outstanding Computing and Information Technology Courses in Malaysia
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
- Information Technology with Database Administration
- Software Engineering
- Computer science or computer engineering
- Information systems security
- Mobile Computing
- Games Development
- Intelligent Systems
- Computer System Engineering
- Business Information Systems
- Business Computing with E-Commerce
First Rate Applied and Health Sciences in Malaysia
- Food science
- Nutrition with Wellness
- Biomedical Science
- Aquatic Science
The Best Business & Accounting Courses in Malaysia
- Accounting & Finance
- Accounting & Finance with Internal Audit
- Accounting & Finance with Forensic Accounting
- Accounting & Finance with Taxation
- Management & Marketing
- Actuarial Science
- Business Administration
- Business Management
- Business Administration
- Banking & Finance
- Finance & Investment
- Finance & Investment
- FOREX & Investment
- Investment & Risk Management
- International Business
- International Business Management
- Entrepreneurship & Marketing
- Finance & Marketing
- Public Relations & Marketing
- Human Resource Management
- Logistics Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Media Marketing
- Advertising & Brand Management
- Branding & Advertising
Excellent Social Science Courses in Malaysia
- Mass Communication
- Marketing Communications
- Film Studies
- Media Studies
- Public Relations
- Entertainment Arts
- Social Media Marketing
Top Design Courses in Malaysia
- Multimedia Design
- Interactive Design
- 3D Animation
- Fashion design with marketing
- Textile & Fashion Design
- Product design
- Transport Design
- CGI & Digital Effects
- Visual Effects
- Entrepreneurial design
- Interior Design
- Interior Architecture
- Graphic Design
- Fashion Design
First Rate Hospitality and Culinary Arts Courses in Malaysia
Education and Music Courses in Malaysia
Choose EduSpiral Consultant Services to Help you to Apply to Top Private Universities in Malaysia
Choosing a course that you are passionate about without job demand and you may end up being jobless.
Look for statistics and research to support whether there is a job demand for your future career in Malaysia or Singapore. Here at EduSpiral Consultant Services, we do our research on the job demand for the careers in Malaysia, Salary Reports, and universities so that we can advise our students based on facts and evidence. Our in-depth knowledge about the courses, careers and private universities in Malaysia combined with my working in experience in the private universities itself are tools that would help you to choose the right university.
Now why would you want to talk to EduSpiral Consultant Services when you can contact the private universities directly? Well, EduSpiral Consultant Services staff have more than 20 years experience in counseling students. Having worked in the private education industry, we have in-depth knowledge of each private university and college in what they are good at. This sets us apart from other agents or representatives who are staffed with young and inexperienced counselors.
Furthermore, we have worked with our partner universities and colleges for many years while the
counselors at the private universities or agents’ offices change every few years therefore they would not have the in-depth knowledge of the courses and the university that they are working at.
EduSpiral Consultant Services has helped hundreds of students to choose the right course and university in Malaysia and Singapore since 2009. With our first-hand knowledge of the universities in Malaysia and access to staff at the universities we represent, we can provide in-depth, personalized advise that no brochure or website can.
There are many factors to consider in choosing a university other than the ad in the newspaper. You have to look at the fees, financial aid, location, student culture, teaching quality, accreditation, recognition, ranking, campus size, facilities, university partnerships and more. With our vast knowledge and experience of the private higher education industry in Malaysia, we are able to help students to navigate through all the information and narrow down their choices to the best courses and universities that fit them.
We are able to offer unbiased information on the many colleges & universities in Malaysia or Singapore if you are unable to visit their campuses. We will share our first hand knowledge and email you pictures of the facilities, fees, forms and other important information. We will also assist in arranging accommodation and campus tours to the universities.
Take Time and Effort to Choose the Right Private University in Malaysia to Study at
Choosing a university is important as it will help to shape your mind, character and help you to develop the necessary skills for a successful career. Therefore, not all private universities are the same. You should not choose a university because it is the cheapest, easiest and nearest. It should be based on which university that best fits your needs.
Many students in Malaysia also make the common mistake in choosing a university because their friends are going there. I even had one student tell me that his choice of university depends on where his girlfriend is going! This is one of the most important decisions that may change your life forever hence it should not be taken lightly.
Talk to a Knowledgeable & Experienced Education Consultant to Help you to Choose the Best Private University or College in Malaysia
Choosing a the right university to study after SPM or O-Levels in Malaysia takes time, it is a process in finding out which university in best for you. You need to talk to the right counselors who are knowledgeable and experienced.
A knowledgeable counselor would be able to provide detailed information about the course, facts & evidence to support the job prospects for the course and in-depth information about which university would be suit you. While an experienced counselor would be able to analyse your results, understand your personality & skills to figure out which course and career suits you.
A knowledgeable education consultant means that he or she would know the entry requirements, course details, in-depth knowledge of the hundreds of courses out there, career prospects, job demand, professional recognition requirements, accreditation, best universities for the course, and other information that would help a confused student to make the right choice.
While an experienced education consultant would have had counseled hundreds of students analysing their
personalities and skilfully guiding them to the right course and university.
At EduSpiral Consultant Services, I have worked in the private higher education industry in Malaysia for more than 15 years advising students with facts and evidence on how to choose the right course after SPM. You should carefully think about what are the options available to you. To choose the best course that fits you, students may fill up our EduSpiral Career Assessment form for evaluation.
The EduSpiral Career Assessment form is a simple form designed by us that gathers information from students after SPM, O-Levels, UEC, STPM or A-Levels in order to assess their aptitude helping us to determine the most suitable course and career progression. After knowing which course, we can then determine which private university in best for that course.
EduSpiral Consultant Services- Your Personal Online Education Advisor
on courses and universities in Malaysia.
EduSpiral Consultant Services represents the best colleges and universities in Malaysia offering a wide range of choices for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get.
These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable. EduSpiral provides in-depth information and counseling on their courses so that students are able to make the right choice.
If you are still not sure what to study, please contact us and we will send you a free EduSpiral Career Assessment Form.
Please contact us for more details.
- WhatsApp: +601111408838
- Wechat/Line: EduSpiral88
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/eduspiral
- Foursquare: www.foursquare.com/eduspiral
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/eduspiral
- Follow EduSpiral: www.twitter.com/eduspiral88
- Be my friend: www.facebook.com/eduspiralsik
- Like EduSpiral: www.facebook.com/eduspiralcs
- Message me: email@example.com
- Website: www.eduspiral.com
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.