Top University in Malaysia for Bachelor of Science (Hons) Culinology® Course at Taylor’s University
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
The top rated 3-year Bachelor Of Science (Hons) (Culinology®) programme at Taylor’s University equips students with knowledge and skills in food product development, grooming them to be a part of the ready-made and processed foods industry. In collaboration with the Halal Industry Development Corporation Malaysia (HDC), students are also given the opportunity to learn about Halal food industry.
Seeking to break the boundaries between culinary arts and food science, Taylor’s University developed the first culinology degree outside the United States. In collaboration with the Research Chefs Association of America (RCA), the programme requires graduates to have a grasp on both culinary practices and food science principles. The Bachelor Of Science (Hons) (Culinology®) programme at Taylor’s University will mould students to become holistic food development specialists who are in high demand in today’s society.
Taylor’s University is one of the best universities in Malaysia for you to study the Culinology programme. Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits including the relevant subjects may enter Taylor’s University Foundation in Science for 1 year before continuing on to the Bachelor Of Science (Hons) (Culinology®)
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
The Best Bachelor of Science (Hons) Culinology® Programme at Taylor’s University in Malaysia
The Bachelor Of Science (Hons) (Culinology®) programme at Taylor’s University equips students with knowledge and skills in food product development, grooming them to be a part of the ready-made and processed foods industry. In collaboration with the Halal Industry Development Corporation Malaysia (HDC), students are also given the opportunity to learn about Halal food industry.
The culinology curriculum at Taylor’s University focuses on four core areas: culinary arts, food science, food technology, and research and development. Culinology® students are equipped with the latest technology and training in culinary and food science, allowing them to work on innovative and creative approaches in food product development.
Professionally Recognised Bachelor Of Science (Hons) (Culinology®) programme at Taylor’s University
- Accreditation by the Research Chefs Association (RCA), USA entitles graduates to membership benefits and access to a professional network.
Comprehensive Course Structure
- Hands-on programme that covers kitchen practical, laboratory practical and R&D.
Equipped to develop ideas and concepts to fit existing and new markets; elaborate on recipes and protocols encompassing mass production concerns; and the ability to measure, monitor and control food quality and product acceptance.
Opportunity to learn about Halal food via elective modules such as Halal Food Product Development, which have been developed in collaboration with the Halal Industry Development Corporation Malaysia (HDC).
Strong Emphasis on R&D
- Explore the generation of new ideas, preparation of various prototypes, evaluation of customer acceptance and elaboration of a final formulation (recipe).
The opportunity to fully design a food product from its inception to marketing of the product.
Opportunity to attend a Culinology® conference in USA as part of the R&D Professional Development Project offered as a Year 3 elective subject.
- 12-week internship in Year 2, to develop supervisory skills in the various areas of a centralised or mass production kitchen (planning production, quality control and hygiene standard and elaboration of new menu).
15-week internship in Year 3, to participate in the research and development aspect (market study conceptualisation of new product, testing of recipes in production line).
World-Class Facilities at Taylor’s University
In preparing students for the increasingly challenging and complex hospitality, tourism and culinary industry, the School has put in place world-class facilities designed and built to stimulate the actual working environment of leading establishments.
- 84-room hotel (Ruemz Hotel)
- 3 Front Office Reception Rooms
- Hotel Suites
- Wine Laboratory
- 9 Restaurants (including 3 fine dining restaurants, 3 specialised training restaurants, 1 Asian restaurant, 1 lifestyle restaurant and 1 multiservice restaurant)
- 14 Culinary Suites (encompassing 9 kitchens, 1 garde manger kitchen, 1 artist kitchen, 1 chocolate room and 1 artist kitchen)
- Manifestation Culinary Bar Theatre
- Tourism Practical Rooms
- Events Projects Room
- CRiT (Centre for Research and Innovation in Tourism, Hospitality and Food Studies)
- Chemistry Lab and Food Science Lab
Programme Structure for the Bachelor of Science (Hons) Culinology® Programme at Taylor’s University
YEAR 1 Subjects for the Bachelor Of Science (Hons) (Culinology®) programme at Taylor’s University
- Cell Biology
- Basic Chemistry
- Hygiene & Sanitation
- Culinary Practice I
- Introduction to Food Science & Nutrition
- Organic Chemistry
- Culinary Practice II
- Business of Food Product Development
- Patisserie & Baking I
- Elective I
- MPU (U1) – Module 1*
YEAR 2 Subjects for the Bachelor Of Science (Hons) (Culinology®) programme at Taylor’s University
- Principles of Biochemistry
- Food Microbiology
- Asian Cuisine
- Patisserie & Baking II
- MPU (U1) – Module 2*
- MPU (U2)*
- Food Chemistry
- Introduction to Human Nutrition
- Advanced Cuisine
- Research Methodology
- Experimental Food Products & Practices
- Internship I
- March intake is after Semester 4
- August intake is after Semester 3
YEAR 3 Subjects for the Bachelor Of Science (Hons) (Culinology®) programme at Taylor’s University
- Food Product Development I
- Sensorial Analysis
- Food Processing
- Psycho-Sociology of Food & Eating Habits
- MPU (U3)*
- MPU (U4)*
- Food Product Development II
- Food Preservation
- Food Safety & Quality Management
- Manufacturing & Packaging
- Elective II
- Internship II
* The Ministry of Education (MOE) requires all students to take Mata Pelajaran Umum (MPU) (i.e. General Studies) which is categorised under U1, U2, U3 and U4 within the duration of their studies. U1 modules are prescribed by MOE whereas U2, U3 and U4 modules are from a list of University Core Modules (UCM) prescribed as per the Programme Guide.
- Introduction to Halal Food Product Development
- Principles of Marketing
- Introduction to Accounting
- Introduction to Management
- Halal Food Product Development
- Food Supply Chain Management
- Introduction to Management
- R&D Professional Development Project
Career Options for Culinology Graduates from Taylor’s University
- Chef Consultant
- Corporate Executive Chef
- Culinary Research Technologist
- Food Quality Manager
- Formulation Chef
- Hygiene Consultant
- Product Assurance/Development Manager
- Research & Development Chef
- Research & Development Manager
- Sensorial Analysis Manager
- Test Kitchen Chef