Find Out the Course Details for the Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) at Taylor’s University Malaysia
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
The premier 3-year Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree programme at Taylor’s University offers a comprehensive education and training in biotechnology focusing on three core areas, namely agriculture, healthcare and industrial. Biotechnology degree students at Taylor’s University may specialise in one of six areas, namely Drug Discovery & Development, Chemistry, Microbiology, Human Nutrition, Entrepreneurship or Communication.
Taylor’s University is one of the best universities in Malaysia for you to study the biotechnology degree programme. Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits including the relevant subjects may enter Taylor’s Foundation in Science for 1 year before continuing on to the Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree programme at Taylor’s University. Intakes for the Degree programme are in March & August.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Outstanding Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree at Taylor’s University in Malaysia
The Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree programme at Taylor’s University is designed to give students a comprehensive education and training in biotechnology focusing on three core areas, namely agriculture, healthcare and industrial.
Students of Taylor’s biotechnology degree programme will be exposed to scientific principles and knowledge, bioinformation technologies, laboratory techniques in research and development, business and entrepreneurship skills, as well as legal, intellectual, social and ethical issues.
Though this Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree programme, Taylor’s University graduates will be capable of applying their scientific knowledge and skills to develop novel products and services for the benefit of society and prepare them for future careers as Biochemists, Biomedical Engineers, Crime Lab Technicians as well as other careers in the field of biotechnology.
- Opportunity for students to explore their passion through specialisation in one of six areas, namely Drug Discovery & Development, Chemistry, Microbiology, Human Nutrition, Entrepreneurship or Communication.
Strong Background in Research and Development
- Gain valuable real-world experience by undertaking research projects on topics such as infectious diseases, drug discovery, plant engineering and bioremediation.
- Guidance from experts who are specialists in their respective research clusters.
- Develop skilled graduates who can contribute actively to R&D efforts in the biotechnology industry.
Dynamic Internship Programme
- 6-month industrial attachment to develop practical and relevant skills for future employment.
Taylor’s School of Biosciences
Taylor’s School of Biosciences aims to provide a stimulating and supportive learning environment for our students through extended learning experiences locally and abroad, and ensure our students have access to top-notch teaching and research facilities to learn, teach and conduct groundbreaking research in biosciences.
With our strategic links with industry members and professional bodies, we also foster strong platforms for research commercialisation, industrial attachment opportunities as well as sharing of best practices, ensuring that our programmes remain up-to-date and relevant to the latest needs of the industry.
GET LEARNING EXPERIENCES LOCALLY AND ABROAD
Learning experiences at the School of Biosciences extends beyond the classroom. Frequent field visits to study-related sites and companies, outreach and community service, participation in conferences and other activities outside the classroom expands the knowledge of students on a practical level.
The school establishes synergistic alliances with experts from the field who are able to impart and share knowledge that is current, and play a role in shaping the thought process of our students. These collaborations with industry mentors and leaders are key in ensuring that our programmes remain relevant and our students graduate with knowledge and capabilities that are expected of them to excel in their chosen paths.
WIDE RANGE OF MODERN FACILITIES
- Protemics & Genomics Facility
- This facility allows students to learn the biological processes at the molecular level such as translation and transcription that affects cells.
- Tissue Culture & Bio-Imaging Facility
- This facility houses the biohazard laminar flow, incubator for the maintenance of human cell lines and advanced microscopy equipment for imaging of cell morphology.
- Sensory Laboratory
- Sensory Laboratory is furnished with a preparation area, cooking facilities and an evaluation area with 5 individual booths equipped with web-based sensory and consumer research software.
- Taylor’s Foundation in Science (FIS)
Pass with min. CGPA 2.00
- Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM)
Min. CGPA 2.00 for 3 subjects
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC)
Pass with min. 5Bs
*All information is subject to change. The above entry requirements serve as a guideline. Readers are responsible to verify the information by contacting the university’s Admissions Department.
Programme Structure for the Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree programme at Taylor’s University
Year 1 Subjects for the Biotechnology degree
- Principles of Life Sciences
- Organic Chemistry
- Introduction to Biostatistics
- MPU (U1) – Module 1*
- MPU (U1) – Module 2*
- MPU (U2)*
- Principles of Biochemistry
- Physical & Inorganic Chemistry
- Introduction to Microbiology
- Eukaryotic Cell Biology
- Biodiversity & Conservation
Year 2 Subjects for the Biotechnology degree
- Microbial Genetics & Physiology
- Food Biotechnology
- Plant Physiology
- Human Molecular Genetics
- Infectious Diseases
- Genes & Tissue Culture Technology
- Agricultural Biotechnology
- MPU (U4)*
Year 3 Subjects for the Biotechnology degree
- Applied & Industrial Microbiology
- Bioprocess Technology
- Research & Laboratory Management
- Research Project I
- Research Project II
- MPU (U3)*
- Industrial Attachment
Specialisation in Drug Discovery & Development
- Principles of Drug Discovery & Development
- Natural Product
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Formulation & Product Development
- Analytical Chemistry
- Design & Management of Clinical Research
Specialisation in Chemistry
- Thermodynamics & Electrochemistry
- Natural Product
- Food Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry & Technology
- Analytical Chemistry
- Industrial Chemistry
Specialisation in Microbiology
- Food Microbiology
- Pathogenesis of Microorganisms
- Epidemiology & Public Health
Specialisation in Human Nutrition
- Introduction to Food Science & Nutrition
- Introduction to Human Nutrition
- Nutrition in Health & Diseases
- Nutraceuticals & Functional Food
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Herbal Food
Specialisation in Entrepreneurship
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Accounting
- Principles of Marketing
- Introduction to Finance
- Introduction to International Business
- Entrepreneurship & Small Business
Specialisation in Communication
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Communication Theories
- Intercultural Communication
- Public Relations Principles
- Visual Communication
- Media Writing
* The Ministry of Education (MOE) requires all students to take Mata Pelajaran Umum (MPU) (i.e. General Studies) which is categorised under U1, U2, U3 and U4 within the duration of their studies. U1 modules are prescribed by MOE whereas U2, U3 and U4 modules are from a list of University Core Modules (UCM) prescribed as per the Programme Guide.
Career Options for Biotechnology Graduates from Taylor’s University
- Agriculture Biotechnologist
- Analytical Scientist
- Laboratory Technologist
- Marketing (Life Sciences)
- Quality Officer (Biomanufacturing)
- Research Scientist (Life sciences)
- Science Writer