Course Information, Entry Requirements, Intake Dates and Fees for the Diploma in Graphic Design at First City University College
Creative students with a flair for design can enter directly into the Diploma in Graphic design before pursuing the degree. The diploma is focused on equipping students with the necessary design skills as well as provide highly practical learning experiences to enhance their technical abilities. Established in 1990, First City UC has more than 30 years of experience in teaching students. Their full time qualified and industry experienced lecturers will provide personal attention to guide students from novices to become professional designers that will impact the industry.
Students after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels may enter the Diploma in Graphic Design course at First City University College for 2 years and 4 months. Upon completion you can then enter into Year 2 of the Graphic Design degree and obtain a BA (Hons) Graphic Design degree at First City University College.
First City University College is acknowledged to be one of the best universities for design in Malaysia having been the first to offer the undergraduate degree majoring in Graphic Design, Interior Architecture & Design and Furniture & Product Design.
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Diploma in Graphic Design at First City University College
This programme prepares students for a career in the design industry. Students will be trained in conceptual thinking, practical skill sets and apply up-to-date software technologies under the supervision of highly qualified lecturers.
Students will undergo internships with various advertising, social media marketing, packaging, publication and exhibition companies.
The Diploma in Graphic Design programme at First City University College has intakes in January, April and May of each year and its duration is 2 1/3 Years.
First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer in Malaysia.
The university college provides ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, 3D printer, Mac Lab, woodwork workshop, print studios, workshops, photo labs, recording studio, and a range of other equipment to help students in their design projects.
Programme/Course aims and objectives:
- Equip students with fundamental professional, creative, technical and vocational skills in order to work successfully within the profession of graphic design and related areas of employment.
- Introduce students to research and analysis of information, with the ability to make moderate judgement and evaluation of ideas.
- Encourage students to develop personal visual skills and personal vision through exciting and challenging practical projects during the course of the programme.
- Encourage students to take their place in the world as an individual, and to take responsibility for the work of others in terms of establishing and monitoring systems to ensure the effective production of work.
On successful completion of the programme, graduates will be expected to be able to:
- Apply theoretical knowledge and practical skills for graphic design practices
- Communicate design concepts effectively by using visual and verbal skills
- Execute and produce creative design solutions that reflect appropriate application of graphic elements, materials, details and finishes for a specific purpose
- Work in a team and demonstrate multi-tasking skills
- Have obtained knowledge of project management, contract documentation, financial implications, ethical responsibilities, environmental and ergonomics issues that relate to graphic design practices
YEAR 1 Subjects for the Diploma in Graphic Design
- Color Studies
- Design Principles
- Introduction to Art History
- English for Academic Writing
- Digital Imaging
- Visual Culture
- Creative Studies
- Graphic Design History
- Introduction to Advertising Design
YEAR 2 Subjects for the Diploma in Graphic Design
- Publication Design
- Narrative Drawing
- 2D Animation
- Professional Practice
- English for Professional Communication
- Digital Publication
- Packaging Design
- Motion Graphics
- 3D Animation
- Corporate Identity Design
- Industry Placement
- Industry Placement Simulation
YEAR 3 Subjects for the Diploma in Graphic Design
- Design Showcase
- Brand Communication
- Design Major
- Environmental Graphic Design
Entry Requirements to Join the Design Courses at First City University College
Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits in the relevant subjects may enter the Foundation in Design course before continuing on to Year 1 of any of the Design degree programmes.
Alternatively, students may enter the Diploma in Graphic Design and then enter into Year 2 of the Graphic Design degree programme.
Students with the necessary 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels can apply for the PTPTN Loan for their Diploma. There is also no PTPTN loan for Foundation studies. PTPTN Loan is also available for the degree course.
First City University College offers value for money and the Diploma is probably the most affordable and the students have access to excellent facilities.
- Graphic Designer
- Creative Director
- 2D/3D Animator
- Multimedia Specialist
- Production Designer
First City University College is a Top Award-Winning Design University College in Malaysia
As evidence that First City UC is the best university college for design in Malaysia, the university and their students have won numerous awards for Interior Design as well as Graphic Design.
- 24th Malaysian International Furniture Fair (MIFF) Furniture Design Competition 2018 – Champion
- Asia Young Designer Award 2017 – Best Green Innovation And Honorary Mention
- Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID) Reka Awards 2017
- MIJF Jewellery Design Awards 2017 Ring Catergory – Top 5 Finalist
- 16th International CONVR 2016 Best PhD Student Paper Award Dr. Siti Norzaini Bt Zainal Abidin
- ASPaC 2017 Merit Award – Charmaine Wong and Sharon Chai of BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- ASIA PACIFIC INTERIOR DESIGNER AWARD 2016 Silver Winner
- IAI DESIGN AWARD Design Star Award 2015
- National Outstanding Educator Award 2015 (Design Education – College Level) Ms Chua Huwi Huwi
- Nippon Paint Young Designer Awards 2014:
- Gold Winner for Interior Design is Lim Yong An
- Lim Yong An also won the “Best Green Innovation Award”.
- Ernest Loh Yin-Sen won Silver
- Soo Mei Lian won “Best Colour Choice”
- Yii Sii Lin won an Honorary Mention
- Best College for Interior Design also went to KBU International College
- Best Lecturer for Interior Design went to KBU’s Chua Huwi Huwi.
- RSA Genovasi Malaysian Awards 2014
- Social Entrepreneurship Category Winners – Mandy Choong Mun Yee, Lee Man Kit, Kim Eunkyung, Goh Pei Hua and Yong Lee Chee
- Digital Age Category Winner – Daniel Chua Yong Ho
- MIFF 2014 Awards– MIFF 2014 Young Designers Category
- Father’s Day – VIVA Drawing Competition 2014
- Conqueror Happy Design Contest 2013/14
- MIJF Jewellery Design Competition 2014 Award
- Lee Hui Ying, clinched second prize for the MIFF Furniture Design Competition 2014
- Nippon Paint Young Designer 2012 competition, KBU staff and students made a sweep of the awards with:
- Regional Winner – Lim Meng Yeu – Platinum/Malaysia beating Gold winners from Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore & China
- Gold/Malaysia – Lim Meng Yeu
- Silver/Malaysia – Chu Sze Yong
- Honorary Mention/Malaysia – Ee Wil Ken and Lee Xuan Xuan
- Best College/University – KBU International College
- Best Lecturer – Chua Huwi Huwi
- Wil Ken bagging a notable award, 2012 Emerging Designer of the Year – Student category of the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers’ (MIID) Malaysian Interior Design Awards (MIDA) 2012
- Lim Meng Yeu, 23, a graduate from KBU International College emerged as the Gold winner of the Student category of MIID’s MIDA Awards 2012
- Lee Jian Ru received the Silver Prize winner of the Student category of 2013 MIID’s MIDA Awards and Foh Vui Siang won the Best Green Innovation Award and also received Honorary Mention
- Philips Lightover Challenge 2013 Winners – Julius Lok Juin Chern and Chiang Siew Leng
- Gan Su Yi and Cheok Yi Chi won 2nd and 3rd prize respectively in the 2013 Bristol Student Design Competition organised by the leading and highly regarded furniture manufacturers in providing office furniture and seating- in collaboration with Majlis Rekabentuk Malaysia (MRM)
- Third place in the 2012 Veloster Rev it Up Inter-College Challenge by Hyundai
- Thirteen of KBU’s graduands have bagged the First Class Honours degree awards in the field of Graphic Design, Interior Architecture and Design and Software Engineering, in which the degree programmes are conducted in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK. Chu Sze Yong (Interior Architecture & Design) graduate was presented the Student of the Year Award.
- Lee Jin Yin and Lydia Low, Year 2 Graphic Design students, collaborated with IM Magazine to produce their magazine cover for the July 2012 issue.
- Katherine Goh, Year 2 Graphic Design student, won the Consolation Prize under the New Media Category for the Peri-fy Your Art Competition 2012
- Bernadette Quah Paik Choo was named the winner of the Ideation Award 2011 by Malaysia International Furniture Fair (MIFF)
- Phum Boon Eng from KBU International College beat 91 other participants to win the MIECO Designer’s Choice Awards (MDCA) 2009 Student’s Category. The MDCA 2009, was jointly organized by MIECO Sdn Bhd and MIFF Sdn Bhd in conjunction with the Malaysian International Furniture Fair 2009 (MIFF 2009)
What are the Interior Design Facilities at First City UC?
First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer in Malaysia. The university provides ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, 3D printer, Mac Lab, woodwork workshop, print studios, workshops, photo labs, recording studio, and a range of other equipment to help students in their design projects.