Find Out More about the BA (Hons) Graphic Design Course, Intakes and Entry Requirements at First City UC, Malaysia
The Graphic Design undergraduate programme at First City University College covers core modules ranging from practical, theoretical work and continuous assessment. Students will be able to demonstrate responsibility for managing their learning by evaluating their own progress and making autonomous decisions. They will also be able to communicate verbal and visual ideas effectively and professionally.
Furthermore, the degree programme develops students’ distinctive personal visual styles through exciting and challenging practical and theoretical projects. Students will be equipped with essential professional, creative, intellectual, and technical skills.
First City University College is acknowledged to be one of the best universities for design in Malaysia having been the first to offer the undergraduate degree majoring in Graphic Design, Interior Architecture & Design and Furniture & Product Design.
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
BA (Hons) Graphic Design Degree at First City University College
The Graphic Design programme at First City University College covers core modules ranging from practical, theoretical work and continuous assessment.
Students will be able to demonstrate responsibility for managing their learning by evaluating their own progress and making autonomous decisions. They will also be able to communicate verbal and visual ideas effectively and professionally.
First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer in Malaysia. The college provides ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, 3D printer, Mac Lab, woodwork workshop, print studios, workshops, photo labs, recording studio, and a range of other equipment to help students in their design projects.
What will you study in the Graphic Design Degree Programme?
This programme develops students’ distinctive personal visual styles through exciting and challenging practical and theoretical projects. Students will be equipped with essential professional, creative, intellectual, and technical skills.
Students will conduct research and analysis of information, to form independent judgements through reflection, evaluation and presentation. They will also be exposed to professional design practices and guided to contextualise design within global, social and cultural frameworks. Students also engage with industry partners for collaborative projects, attend talks and participate in both local and overseas competitions.
Students will undergo internships with various advertising, social media marketing, packaging, publication and exhibition companies.
The Programme objectives are to:
- Equip students with the essential professional, creative, intellectual and technical skills
- Strenghten students’ skills in research and analysis of information, formation of sound and independent judgements through reflection, evaluation and presentation of well-reasoned arguments
- Equip students with distinctive personal visual skills and personal vision; encouraged through exciting and challenging practical and theoretical projects
- Prepare students to make their mark in the graphic design industry with full awareness of the roles and responsibilities of professional design practices
- Engage students in life-long learning
PROFESSIONAL BODY RECOGNITION
First City UC will pay for the student membership subscription to the Graphic Design Association Malaysia (wREGA). Student have the opportunity to keep abreast with developments in the industry.
When are the Intakes for the Degree and What is the Duration?
Intakes for the degree programme are in June and September of each year. Students should contact the university for the exact dates.
The duration for the degree programme is 3 years and 6 months including the internship.
Year 1 Subjects for the Graphic Design Degree
- Design Principles and Practices
- Digital Imaging
- Fundamental of Typography
- Communication Writing Skills
- Conceptual Drawing
- Consumer Behaviour
- Packaging Design
- Web Design
- Communication Presentation Skills
- Creative Thinking
- Creative Entrepreneurship
Year 2 Subjects for the Graphic Design Degree
- Advertising and Branding
- Digital Publication
- Interactive and Information Design
- Mobile Apps Design
- Visual Culture
- Visual Merchandising
- Principles of Economics
- Illustration and Image Making
- Exploring Animation
- Motion Graphic
- Professional Practice
Year 3 Subjects for the Graphic Design Degree
- Design Seminar
- Final Major Project 1
- Integrated Print Design
- Self-Initiated Research
- Final Major Project 2
- Integrated New Media Design
- Industrial Training
- Design Consultancy
- Publishing & Print
- New Media & Motion Graphics
- Social Media Management
- Visual Merchandising
- Branding and Identity
- Packaging Design
What is the Education Pathway to the Graphic Design Degree after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels?
Students after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels with at least 5 credits in the relevant subjects may enter the Foundation in Design course before continuing on to Year 1 of any of the Design degree programmes.
Alternatively, students may enter the Diploma in Graphic Design and then enter into Year 2 of the Graphic Design degree programme.
Students with the necessary 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels can apply for the PTPTN Loan for their Diploma. There is also no PTPTN loan for Foundation studies. PTPN Loan is also available for the degree course.
First City University College offers value for money for their courses and students have access to excellent facilities.
Entry Requirements to Join the Design Courses at First City University College
- STPM – Minimum 2Cs and a minimum score Band 3 in Malaysian University English Test (MUET) or equivalent.
- UEC – Minimum 5Bs and a minimum score Band 3 in Malaysian University English Test (MUET) or equivalent.
- GCE A-LEVEL – Minimum 2Cs and a minimum score Band 3 in Malaysian University English Test (MUET) or equivalent.
- FOUNDATION/MATRICULATION – Pass with minimum CGPA 2.0 or its equivalent
- DIPLOMA – Pass with minimum CGPA 2.0 or its equivalent with a minimum score Band 3 in Malaysian University English Test (MUET) or equivalent.
- Other equivalent qualifications which are recognized by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency
Pass Portfolio interview
Can We Apply for the PTPTN Loan for the Design Courses at First City UC?
Courses that are accredited by the MQA can only be eligible for the PTPTN Loan. Therefore, students may apply for the PTPTN Loan for the Diploma & Degree programmes at First City UC.
First City UC will have a special department and staff to help you to make all the necessary arrangements for the loan so you do not need to worry about it. They will brief you about it during Orientation.
Please note that generally, you have to pay the First Semester Fees first and then apply for the loan, which would take 2-3 months to process. The loan should be given out in time for the second semester but if it doesn’t happen in time, you have to prepare the fees for the Second Semester.
First City University College is a Top Award-Winning Design University College in Malaysia
As evidence that First City UC is the best university college for design in Malaysia, the university and their students have won numerous awards for Interior Design as well as Graphic Design.
- 15th Annual International Design Awards 2020, Los Angeles, USA
- Frankie Ong – BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design – Silver Award
- International Furniture Design Innovation (IFDI) 2020
- Reven Oh Gein Heir – BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design – Gold Award
- Beh Wei Herng – BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design – Gold Award
- International Design Awards 2019 (IDA)
- Teh Wei Jie – BA (Hons) Interior Architecture degree won the GOLD AWARD for the Interior Design Student Category
- 24th Malaysian International Furniture Fair (MIFF) Furniture Design Competition 2018 – Champion
- Asia Young Designer Award 2017 – Best Green Innovation And Honorary Mention
- Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID) Reka Awards 2017
- MIJF Jewellery Design Awards 2017 Ring Catergory – Top 5 Finalist
- 16th International CONVR 2016 Best PhD Student Paper Award Dr. Siti Norzaini Bt Zainal Abidin
- ASPaC 2017 Merit Award – Charmaine Wong and Sharon Chai of BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- ASIA PACIFIC INTERIOR DESIGNER AWARD 2016 Silver Winner
- IAI DESIGN AWARD Design Star Award 2015
- National Outstanding Educator Award 2015 (Design Education – College Level) Ms Chua Huwi Huwi
- Nippon Paint Young Designer Awards 2014:
- Gold Winner for Interior Design is Lim Yong An
- Lim Yong An also won the “Best Green Innovation Award”.
- Ernest Loh Yin-Sen won Silver
- Soo Mei Lian won “Best Colour Choice”
- Yii Sii Lin won an Honorary Mention
- Best College for Interior Design also went to KBU International College
- Best Lecturer for Interior Design went to KBU’s Chua Huwi Huwi.
- RSA Genovasi Malaysian Awards 2014
- Social Entrepreneurship Category Winners – Mandy Choong Mun Yee, Lee Man Kit, Kim Eunkyung, Goh Pei Hua and Yong Lee Chee
- Digital Age Category Winner – Daniel Chua Yong Ho
- MIFF 2014 Awards– MIFF 2014 Young Designers Category
- Father’s Day – VIVA Drawing Competition 2014
- Conqueror Happy Design Contest 2013/14
- MIJF Jewellery Design Competition 2014 Award
- Lee Hui Ying, clinched second prize for the MIFF Furniture Design Competition 2014
- Nippon Paint Young Designer 2012 competition, KBU staff and students made a sweep of the awards with:
- Regional Winner – Lim Meng Yeu – Platinum/Malaysia beating Gold winners from Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore & China
- Gold/Malaysia – Lim Meng Yeu
- Silver/Malaysia – Chu Sze Yong
- Honorary Mention/Malaysia – Ee Wil Ken and Lee Xuan Xuan
- Best College/University – KBU International College
- Best Lecturer – Chua Huwi Huwi
- Wil Ken bagging a notable award, 2012 Emerging Designer of the Year – Student category of the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers’ (MIID) Malaysian Interior Design Awards (MIDA) 2012
- Lim Meng Yeu, 23, a graduate from KBU International College emerged as the Gold winner of the Student category of MIID’s MIDA Awards 2012
- Lee Jian Ru received the Silver Prize winner of the Student category of 2013 MIID’s MIDA Awards and Foh Vui Siang won the Best Green Innovation Award and also received Honorary Mention
- Philips Lightover Challenge 2013 Winners – Julius Lok Juin Chern and Chiang Siew Leng
- Gan Su Yi and Cheok Yi Chi won 2nd and 3rd prize respectively in the 2013 Bristol Student Design Competition organised by the leading and highly regarded furniture manufacturers in providing office furniture and seating- in collaboration with Majlis Rekabentuk Malaysia (MRM)
- Third place in the 2012 Veloster Rev it Up Inter-College Challenge by Hyundai
- Thirteen of KBU’s graduands have bagged the First Class Honours degree awards in the field of Graphic Design, Interior Architecture and Design and Software Engineering, in which the degree programmes are conducted in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK. Chu Sze Yong (Interior Architecture & Design) graduate was presented the Student of the Year Award.
- Lee Jin Yin and Lydia Low, Year 2 Graphic Design students, collaborated with IM Magazine to produce their magazine cover for the July 2012 issue.
- Katherine Goh, Year 2 Graphic Design student, won the Consolation Prize under the New Media Category for the Peri-fy Your Art Competition 2012
- Bernadette Quah Paik Choo was named the winner of the Ideation Award 2011 by Malaysia International Furniture Fair (MIFF)
- Phum Boon Eng from KBU International College beat 91 other participants to win the MIECO Designer’s Choice Awards (MDCA) 2009 Student’s Category. The MDCA 2009, was jointly organized by MIECO Sdn Bhd and MIFF Sdn Bhd in conjunction with the Malaysian International Furniture Fair 2009 (MIFF 2009)
What are the Design Facilities at First City UC?
First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer in Malaysia. The university provides ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, 3D printer, Mac Lab, woodwork workshop, print studios, workshops, photo labs, recording studio, and a range of other equipment to help students in their design projects.