Study at the Best University College in Malaysia for Interior Architecture & Design Course at First City University College
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
Students after SPM or O-Levels with 5 credits may go for the 1-year Foundation in Art & Design and then continue into the 3.5-year BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design degree at First City University College. Alternatively, with 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels, students may enter into the Diploma in Interior Design for 2.5 years and then enter into Year 2 of the Interior Architecture & Design degree.
First City University College is acknowledged to be one of the best universities for design in Malaysia having been the first to offer the undergraduate degree majoring in Graphic Design, Interior Architecture & Design and Furniture & Product Design.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Top BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design Degree in Malaysia at First City University College
The 3½ year programme- BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design at First City University College is renowned for developing creative and knowledgeable graduates; armed with skills and ability to embark on careers as professional interior architects.
First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer in Malaysia.
The college provides ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, 3D printer, Mac Lab, woodwork workshop, print studios, workshops, photo labs, recording studio, and a range of other equipment to help students in their design projects.
First City University College graduates of the BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design will be able to:
- Understand the role of design and the designer within a professional context.
- Have a theoretical and critical perspective of design within its cultural, social,
political and economic context.
- Are able to align the design and development of interior spaces with the architectural
context and building envelope.
- Understand structural, technical and material considerations at an appropriate level.
- Design interior spaces in a rational, sensitive and articulate manner that contributes
to the creation of a physical framework for a fair, equitable and sustainable society.
YEAR 1 Subjects for the BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design at First City University College
- IAD Design Studio 1
- Design Communication
- Technical Studies 1
- Interior Architecture in Context 1
The Year 1 modules are designed to familiarise students with the principles of design relating to architecture and interiors. The students will be introduced to design function and principles in the development of a vocabulary for the interpretation of form and space. The modules will also encourage the development and application of fundamental design skills.
YEAR 2 Subjects for the BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design at First City University College
- IAD Design Studio 2
- Professional Studies
- Technical Studies 2
- Interior Architecture in Context 2
The Year 2 modules promote creative design exploration through inspiring projects set in increasingly complex contexts whilst encouraging further development and refinement of the skills learned in the first year of study. Design exercises concentrate on the overall understanding, organisation and realisation of schemes, developing into projects dedicated to the handling of materials and detailing.
YEAR 3 Subjects for the BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design at First City University College
- IAD Design Studio 3
- Technical Studies 3
- Research Project
The final year is student-centred. It encourages the students to undertake a synthesised research and a design project defined by students and agreed by tutors at the start of the academic year. Within this context, students will be able to develop their own design briefs and strategies to which they respond creatively through an integrated design proposal.
Working in conjunction with the work placement office, students will be assisted in identifying appropriate work placement opportunities which are then secured through a process of application and competitive interview.
MPU Compulsory Subjects
- All Malaysian and International students are required to take 4 MPU compulsory
First City University College is a Top Award-Winning Design University College in Malaysia
- Nippon Paint Young Designer Awards 2014:
- Gold Winner for Interior Design is Lim Yong An
- Lim Yong An also won the “Best Green Innovation Award”.
- Ernest Loh Yin-Sen won Silver
- Soo Mei Lian won “Best Colour Choice”
- Yii Sii Lin won an Honorary Mention
- Best College for Interior Design also went to KBU International College
- Best Lecturer for Interior Design went to KBU’s Chua Huwi Huwi.
- RSA Genovasi Malaysian Awards 2014
- Social Entrepreneurship Category Winners – Mandy Choong Mun Yee, Lee Man Kit, Kim Eunkyung, Goh Pei Hua and Yong Lee Chee
- Digital Age Category Winner – Daniel Chua Yong Ho
- MIFF 2014 Awards– MIFF 2014 Young Designers Category
- Father’s Day – VIVA Drawing Competition 2014
- Conqueror Happy Design Contest 2013/14
- MIJF Jewellery Design Competition 2014 Award
- Lee Hui Ying, clinched second prize for the MIFF Furniture Design Competition 2014
- Nippon Paint Young Designer 2012 competition, KBU staff and students made a sweep of the awards with:
- Regional Winner – Lim Meng Yeu – Platinum/Malaysia beating Gold winners from Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore & China
- Gold/Malaysia – Lim Meng Yeu
- Silver/Malaysia – Chu Sze Yong
- Honorary Mention/Malaysia – Ee Wil Ken and Lee Xuan Xuan
- Best College/University – KBU International College
- Best Lecturer – Chua Huwi Huwi
- Wil Ken bagging a notable award, 2012 Emerging Designer of the Year – Student category of the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers’ (MIID) Malaysian Interior Design Awards (MIDA) 2012
- Lim Meng Yeu, 23, a graduate from KBU International College emerged as the Gold winner of the Student category of MIID’s MIDA Awards 2012
- Lee Jian Ru received the Silver Prize winner of the Student category of 2013 MIID’s MIDA Awards and Foh Vui Siang won the Best Green Innovation Award and also received Honorary Mention
- Philips Lightover Challenge 2013 Winners – Julius Lok Juin Chern and Chiang Siew Leng
- Gan Su Yi and Cheok Yi Chi won 2nd and 3rd prize respectively in the 2013 Bristol Student Design Competition organised by the leading and highly regarded furniture manufacturers in providing office furniture and seating- in collaboration with Majlis Rekabentuk Malaysia (MRM)
- Third place in the 2012 Veloster Rev it Up Inter-College Challenge by Hyundai
- Thirteen of KBU’s graduands have bagged the First Class Honours degree awards in the field of Graphic Design, Interior Architecture and Design and Software Engineering, in which the degree programmes are conducted in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK. Chu Sze Yong (Interior Architecture & Design) graduate was presented the Student of the Year Award.
- Lee Jin Yin and Lydia Low, Year 2 Graphic Design students, collaborated with IM Magazine to produce their magazine cover for the July 2012 issue.
- Katherine Goh, Year 2 Graphic Design student, won the Consolation Prize under the New Media Category for the Peri-fy Your Art Competition 2012
- Bernadette Quah Paik Choo was named the winner of the Ideation Award 2011 by Malaysia International Furniture Fair (MIFF)
- Phum Boon Eng from KBU International College beat 91 other participants to win the MIECO Designer’s Choice Awards (MDCA) 2009 Student’s Category. The MDCA 2009, was jointly organized by MIECO Sdn Bhd and MIFF Sdn Bhd in conjunction with the Malaysian International Furniture Fair 2009 (MIFF 2009)
Entry Requirements to Join the Design Courses at First City University College
The diploma is 2.5 years and after that, you can enter into Year 2 of the Interior Architecture & Design degree
programme. You will not be able to take the PTPN Loan for the Certificate, Diploma or Degree.
You will need at least 3 credits in SPM to join the Diploma. After that, you can enter into Year 2 of the interior architecture & design degree for another 2 years.
First City University College offers value for money and the Diploma is probably the most affordable and the students have access to excellent facilities. In addition, you will be getting a UK degree at an affordable price.
The BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design at First City University College is a modular programme and assessment is based on coursework involving a wide range of individual and group projects, presentation, 2D and 3D image generation and modeling, essays, seminars, and a written dissertation.
Various activities that include field trips and site visits, as well as a series of guest lectures by prominent members of design profession, are also organized.
Career Opportunities for the Interior Architecture & Design Graduate in Malaysia
Interior design companies, architecture firms, furniture manufacturer, lighting design consultant, exhibition design consultant, exhibition designer and set designers and retail designers
About First City University College
First City University College (FCUC) is a private higher education institution established in 1990 by the First Nationwide Group, First City University College has a purpose-designed, fully equipped campus with sports and recreational facilities, and located on a 13-acre site within Bandar Utama.owner and developer of the 1000 acres fully integrated township/commercial district of Bandar Utama. It was formerly known as KBU International College until it was upgraded to University College status in 2015.
There is ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, print studios, workshops, photo labs, and a range of other equipment to facilitate students in their projects. First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer.
Sports and recreational amenities will include indoor basketball court, futsal court and also, dance and drama studio. The new hostel will be able to accommodate over 900 students.
Students at First City University College will, therefore, receive a holistic education. The main objective of FCUC is to provide higher education opportunities to young Malaysians and foreign nationals in a wide range of academic and professional fields such as Engineering, Computing/ICT/Software Engineering, Hospitality, Tourism, Business andArt & Design. Quality education is the hallmark of FCUC with the intended outcome of producing highly employable graduates in a knowledge-based economy.
In line with First City University College’s mission of providing Quality Education and achieving a high level of employability of its graduates, the University College collaborates with established universities in the United Kingdom to offer 3+0 degree programmes, as well as professional bodies and established examination bodies.
Quality education at First City University College is further underpinned by the university college’s compliance with the requirements of the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and the constant monitoring carried out by the College’s very own Quality Assurance Department and FCUC’s foreign university partners.