Admission Requirements for Foundation in Business (Actuarial) and BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- Details for the Entry Requirements for BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia for students after Pre-University and Foundation
- Details of the Entry Requirements for Foundation in Business (Actuarial Science) at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels
Students after SPM & IGCSE/O-Levels wanting the fastest pathway to become a professional actuary in Malaysia can go for the Foundation in Business and Design at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia for 1 year first before entering into the Actuarial Science degree.
The best actuarial science degree programme in Malaysia is at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia. Entry requirements into this top rated programme is high and not everyone can easily enter. Students with Pre-University qualifications such as UEC, A-Levels, SAM, AUSMAT, MUFY, CPU or STPM need to achieve excellent results to enter into the BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science degree at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
You might be interested to read:
- Pathway to Become an Actuary in Malaysia through the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) Curriculum 2019
- How to Become a Professional Actuary in Malaysia through the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA)
- Actuarial Science in Malaysia – Job, Salary, Education Pathway & Professional Papers
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Listing of the Entry Requirements for the Actuarial Science Foundation and Degree at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Entry requirements for the Foundation in Business (Actuarial Science) at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- Minimum 5 credits (C’s), in SPM or O-Levels, including English and Mathematics or other relevant subjects – or equivalent global qualifications.
- Actuarial Science route requires minimum 5 credits (C’s), in SPM or O-Levels, including English, Mathematics and Additional Mathematics – or other equivalent global qualifications.
- IB MYP: 3 subjects with Grade 6 (English and Maths) and 2 subjects with Grade 5 (For Actuarial Science route, requires a Grade 5 for a subject equivalent to Add Maths)
- Conditional offers will be made to students with forecast results. Advance standing may be available for those with appropriate pre-university qualifications. Final results need to be submitted before programme commencement.
English language requirements
- If English is not your first language, then evidence of proficiency equivalent to IELTS 5.5 is required.
- If you do not have IELTS 5.5, we offer a Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSEP) prior to commencing your studies.
Admission Requirements for the Best BSc Actuarial Science Degree Programme at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Entry requirements for the Actuarial Science BSc (Hons) at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia is
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Science: ABBC – A in Mathematics, B in Physics, B in Chemistry, C in Academic English/Study Skills
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Business: ABBC – A in Mathematics, B in Accountancy and Finance, B in Business Management, C in Academic English/Study Skills
- A-Level/STPM: ABB including A in Mathematics
UEC: 6A including A1 in Mathematics and Advanced Mathematics
- WACE/SACE: ATAR 90
- SMA 3 (Indonesia): 8
- IB Diploma: 28 points
- Diploma with high level of attainment in mathematics recognised by the Malaysian Government
- Any other relevant qualification with high level of attainment in mathematics recognised by the Malaysian Government
English language requirements
- If English is not your first language, then evidence of proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5 is required.
- If you do not have IELTS 6.5, we offer a Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSEP) prior to commencing your studies.
Students interested in registering at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, please go to this link. Affordable hostel accommodation is provided at safe and conducive condominiums in Cyberjaya with free bus shuttle to and from Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
Scholarships are available at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia to deserving Malaysian students who have achieved high results in their SPM or O-Levels examinations.
Study the Actuarial Science Degree Programme at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia which is the Fastest Pathway to becoming a Professional Actuary in Malaysia
The UK Actuarial Profession has a structure of 26 professional examinations. To become a qualified Actuary (Fellow), you must pass 15 of these professional exams plus relevant work experience. The Actuarial Science degree program at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia will give you 8 paper exemptions from the Core Technical Subjects which are CT1 to CT8.
This means that Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Actuarial Science graduates need to take 7 more of the professional examinations plus relevant work experience to become a qualified Actuary (Fellow) in Malaysia.
This will be the fastest pathway to become an Actuary in Malaysia.
What will You Study the Actuarial Science Degree at the Top Ranked Heriot-Watt University Malaysia?
Actuaries manage risk and uncertainty and evaluate the likely impact of future events. Heriot-Watt’s Actuarial Science programme is world-famous for its excellence. It contains all the courses that are essential for ensuring a flying start to a career as an actuary whilst at the same time fostering highly transferable mathematical skills.
If you excel at mathematics, enjoy problem solving and are looking for a degree that will prepare you for a rewarding career – both intellectually and financially – Actuarial Science could be the programme for you.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Bachelor’s degree mirrors the highly successful BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science degree offered in the UK, which is accredited by the UK Actuarial Profession. Students who obtain a first class or good upper second class (2:1) Honours degree automatically obtain exemptions from the CT1-8 subjects for which they have studied relevant material in their degree. In addition, exemptions are still available on an individual subject basis
It is expected that the Actuarial Science programme in Malaysia will also offer exemptions from all Core Technical subjects, CT1 to CT8, for students performing sufficiently well. This can significantly reduce the time taken to qualify as a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.
What is the Programme Structure for Actuarial Science Degree at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia?
First Year Subjects for Actuarial Science Degree at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- Probability and Statistics A
- Probability and Statistics B
- Linear Algebra
- Actuarial and Financial Mathematics A
- Actuarial and Financial Mathematics B
- Multivariable Calculus and Real Analysis A
- Multivariable Calculus and Real Analysis B
Optional and elective courses available for Year 1 include:
- Finance and Financial Reporting
- Operations Management
Second Year Subjects for Actuarial Science Degree at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- Life Insurance Mathematics A
- Life Insurance Mathematics B
- Stochastic Processes
- Survival Models
- Derivative Markets and Discrete-time Finance
- Statistical Models A
- Statistical Models B
- Portfolio Theory & Asset Models
Third Year Subjects for Actuarial Science Degree at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Students typically take Introductory Economics, Continuous-time Finance, Risk Theory, and Time Series Analysis and can choose from a range of options such as Statistics for Social Science, Bayesian Inference and Computational Methods, Statistical Machine Learning and Optimisation.
Accreditation of Actuarial Science Degree at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
In accordance with the normal practice of Heriot-Watt University’s professionally orientated programmes are designed to meet the educational requirements for membership of relevant professional institutions.
In addition to recognition within Malaysia, they seek accreditation by the relevant UK or international professional bodies in accordance with their standard procedures.
Employment prospects are good, with excellent financial rewards. Our students readily find work as trainee actuaries and graduates are also well-equipped for more general careers like accountancy, banking, stockbroking or teaching. What’s more, actuarial skills are appreciated anywhere in the world.