A comparison of two of the top private universities for ICT or computing in Malaysia
For more information contact 01111408838
A comparison of two of the top universities for computer science, ICT or computing degree courses in Malaysia, Asia Pacific University (APU) and Multimedia University (MMU). Many students are sometimes confused on how to choose the right university that would fit them.
When choosing the best university for IT or computing studies, students must choose one that is up-to-date, has experienced lecturers, computer facilities equipped with the necessary software, and possess an English-speaking environment to help develop their communication skills for future job success. Furthermore, one of the most important criteria in choosing a good university to study in Malaysia is to look at their track record of achievements, awards and rankings. These are evidence showing the university’s commitment to quality and the high standards of their lecturers and education. I have included in this article the list of awards & rankings for Asia Pacific University (APU) and Multimedia University (MMU) throughout the years for you to compare.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counselor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Comparing the Awards Won by Asia Pacific University (APU) with Multimedia University (MMU)
Students should look at the syllabus of the IT degree subjects as well to see if it fits their needs and career goals. Do not choose a university that has cheap fees but does not provide solid education in IT as you will regret this when you begin your work life. Without the necessary knowledge and skills in IT, you will not be able to pass the interview or even get promotions because you do not know how to do the work or solve the problems. Therefore, choose wisely.
Choosing a university is important as it will help to shape your mind, character and help you to develop the necessary skills for a successful career. Therefore, not all private universities are the same. You should not choose a university because it is the cheapest, easiest and nearest. It should be based on which university that best fits your needs.
Every university and course in Malaysia is different and each student wants different things to fit their education and career goals. The best university is one that fits your career goals, your personality and can push you to a higher level of success.
Looking at the number of awards that the university and its students have won in competitions related to the course can be a guide in helping you to make the right choice. They are evidence that the university and its students have achieved a level of capability and possess high standards of teaching.
The information below is taken mostly from the universities’ websites and the opinions expressed are my own only, you will need to decide which is best for you.
List of Asia Pacific University (APU) Malaysia Ranking and Awards
Asia Pacific University (APU) is Rated No.1 in Asia and Malaysia for Multicultural Learning Experience.
(*Student Barometer Wave 2014, ‘Studying with people from other cultures’)
Asia Pacfic University (APU) achieved a Tier 5 ranking or Excellent in the SETARA 2019, SETARA 2017, SETARA 2013 and SETARA 2011. The top university rank achieved by Asia Pacific University (APU) affirms their commitment and position as one of the best universities in Malaysia.
According to the latest Annual Graduate Tracer Study by Ministry of Education Malaysia, 100% of APU graduates were employed by graduation in 2018. Students interested to register at APU may go to this link. Scholarships are available to deserving students. Affordable hostel accommodation is provided for outstation students.
Asia Pacific University (APU) is An Award-Winning Malaysian Private University
The Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation (APU) stands tall among Malaysia’s premier Institutions of Higher Learning – this is a University where a unique fusion of technology, innovation and creativity works effectively towards preparing graduates for significant roles in business and society globally.
In 2004, APU’s associate institution, APIIT, was the only Malaysian education institution to have won multiple awards in both National and International Asia Pacific ICT Awards. It was also the only Malaysian finalist in the Asian Innovation Awards and the winner of the Malaysian IT Product of the Year.
Asia Pacific University’s achievements in winning a host of prestigious awards at national and regional levels over the years bear testimony to their commitment to excellence in higher education and training, as well as innovative research and development and comercialisation.
- UCTI has now been upgraded to university status hence the name change to Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation (APU)
- UCTI (through APIIT) is Malaysia’s first Institution to achieve Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) Company Status
- The only Institution to have won the prestigious MSC Asia Pacific ICT Awards every year since the inception of the awards in 1999.
- UCTI’s academic programmes are all approved by the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia and the qualifications are accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
- Asia Pacific University College of Technology and Innovation (UCTI) was established when Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology (APIIT) was officially awarded University College status by the Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, in 2004.
The new University College is now called UCTI for short. Recently in July 2012, they have received university status and therefore is now known as the Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation (APU)
List of Awards & Achievements for Asia Pacific University (APU) Malaysia
Over the years, APIIT Education Group has secured more than 200 awards at local, regional and international level. These awards serve as acknowledgements of the achievement of APIIT and our students, reaffirming our standing as being among the leading technology Institutions in Malaysia.
The APIIT Education Group received the prestigious Prime Minister’s Industry Excellence Award from the Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dato’ Seri Mohd Najib Tun Razak. Only one organization was selected to receive the Prime Minister’s Industry Excellence Award from among nearly 30 other award recipients in 8 different categories. APIIT Education Group was also awarded Export Excellence Award (Services).
The Industry Excellence Awards, organized by the Ministry of International Trade & Industry (MITI), recognizes and rewards organizations for organizational excellence including competitiveness, innovativeness, market presence and export performance. Winning the Prime Minister’s Industry Excellence Award is a significant milestone and an honour for APU as a leader in higher education. The award truly reflects our commitment and focus on quality, innovation, graduate employability and internationalization.
As a testimony of that Asia Pacific University (APU) is the best university for computing, computer science and ICT in Malaysia, they and their students have won the following awards:
Local & International Awards and Recognition for Asia Pacific University (APU)
Among the Top 10 Private Universities in Malaysia
APU is ranked among the Top 10 Private Universities in the latest QS Asia University Rankings 2021. APU is Ranked No.1 for International Students, No.1 for Inbound Exchange, and is amongst the Top 50 Universities for International Faculty. APU ranks among the Top 350 Universities in the QS Asia University Rankings 2021.
Under the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) 2017 Ratings, APU was awarded 5-Stars in 4 categories of the QS Stars Ratings – Teaching, Employability, Facilities and Inclusiveness. The QS Stars rating is an international rating system that measures achievements and qualities of universities worldwide.
APU awarded 5-Star Rating for Online Learning by QS
Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU) has been awarded 5-Star Rating for Online Learning in the latest QS Stars Rating System.
The rating – the highest possible rating in the category – demonstrates APU’s continued focus in providing interactive, student-centred, and flexible digital learning using innovative technologies that enable its students to learn anytime and anywhere.
APU students are able to continue learning seamlessly through its cloud-based digital platforms that leverages on a variety of tools, media, formats and content to make learning meaningful and stimulating for its students.
In parallel, APU’s Digital Learning Hub (DLH) supports our academic staff by assisting them to create impactful and high-quality digital content to suit various teaching and learning environments, along with inspiring them to use creative teaching and learning techniques.
The QS Rating System is a leading, international ranking system of universities that is awarded by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) that ranks universities around the world.
APU is a premier private university in Malaysia with an international profile of students that takes pride in offering a wide suite of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes that are authentic, industry-recognised and meet the needs of the labour market.
APU – Rated No. 1 in Asia and Malaysia for MULTICULTURAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE
(*Student Barometer Wave 2017, ‘Studying with people from other cultures’)
With an international student community of more than 12,000 students from more than 130 countries studying in its Malaysian campus, APU offers a truly cosmopolitan learning environment which prepares students well for the global challenges which lie ahead.
APU offers a wide range of degrees with Technology as a common core. It is APU’s aim to nurture and encourage innovation through our programmes, with the intention of producing individuals who will learn, adapt and think differently in new and better ways.
Soaring Upwards – APU awarded 5-STAR Excellent Rating at SETARA 2019
APU was announced as among the Highest Rated Emerging Universities in Malaysia, being rated 5-STAR (EXCELLENT Rating) under the latest SETARA Ratings by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE). APU has maintained this Excellent Rating consecutively in the SETARA 2011, 2013, 2017 as well as in the latest ratings announced on 18th Dec 2020. The SETARA ratings system measures the performance of teaching and learning in universities in Malaysia.
5-STARS for APU at QS Stars Rating 2017
Asia Pacific University (APU) received international recognition by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) in 2017 with APU being awarded 5-Star in four categories of the QS Stars Rating – Teaching, Employability, Facilities and Inclusiveness. The QS Stars rating measures achievements of universities worldwide.
QS Stars is a international rating system which allows students to better understand an institution’s qualities, looking at everything from the employability of graduates, to sports facilities and community engagement.
APU is a “Premier Digital Tech University” – MDEC
APU was awarded the Premier Digital Tech University status by the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC). APU is recognised for its commitment in offering top-notch digital technology courses and ensuring our highly-skilled graduates continue to flourish and fill future digital job demands locally and globally. Premier Digital Tech University status was awarded by the Minister of Higher Education Malaysia. Premier Digital Tech Universities and Preferred Digital Tech Polytechnics (PDTIs) are Malaysia’s leading digital tech-focused tertiary institutions. The PDTIs have a proven track record in producing high quality graduates for digital tech-based high value jobs, via cutting-edge research and education policies, strong industry linkages, and career development and placement services.
Originally established as the Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology (APIIT) in 1993 and Asia Pacific University College of Technology & Innovation (UCTI) in 2004, APU’s sound approach to nurturing school leavers into qualified professionals has resulted in our graduates being highly sought after by employers.
Born out of a collaboration between MDEC, the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia and industry leaders, the PDTIs deliver end-to-end solutions to ensure that future graduates are propelled into becoming dynamic members of an innovation-driven and knowledge-powered Malaysia.
“100% Employed by Graduation” – Graduate Tracer Study
According to the latest Annual Graduate Tracer Study by Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia, 100% of APU graduates were employed by Graduation. This is not just a number, but a significant symbol of APU’s success and pride in nurturing professionals for global careers. To date, over 50,000 alumni have embarked onto their careers worldwide.
THE MERITS, AWARDS AND RECOGNITION, LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL RECEIVED BY APU
Over the years APU has won the following awards due to its trend of delivering on the best to its stakeholders.
|WORLD ENGINEERING, SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY CONGRESS (ESTCON2020)
|THE 4TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MULTI-DISCIPLINARY RESEARCH STUDIES AND EDUCATION (ICMDRSE) 2021
|SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS (SDG) FILMFEST
|INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY CARNIVAL ON E-LEARNING (IUCEL) VIRTUAL COMPETITION
|HILTI GLOBAL IT COMPETITION
|ASIA PACIFIC ICT AWARDS (APICTA) MALAYSIA (MULTIMEDIA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION)
|CYBERSECURITY EXCELLENCE AWARDS
|F-SECURE INTERVARSITY CYBERSECURITY CHALLENGE
|4th DIMENSION INTERNATIONAL FIRM FESTIVAL INDONESIA
|SOCIETY OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERS (SPE) INTERNATIONAL
|UIJIR ACADEMIC RESEARCH FOUNDATION INDIA
|GLOBAL CLIMATE HACK COMPETITION
|DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION YOUTH CONFERENCE (DYIC) COVID-19 BUSINESS STARTUP CHALLENGE
|AIM DATA SCIENCE FACULTY EXCELLENCE AWARD
|INTERNATIONAL INNOVATION ARSVOT MALAYSIA (IAM)
|PENANG INTERNATIONAL INVENTION, INNOVATION AND DESIGN (PIID)
|MIFF FURNITURE DESIGN COMPETITION
|CISCO PACKET TRACER NATIONAL CHALLENGE
|IMECHE BEST ACADEMIC LIAISON OFFICER AWARD
|MALAYSIAN ACTUARIAL STUDENTS ASSOCIATION (MASA) HACKATHON
|INTERNATIONAL ICT INNOVATIVE SERVICES AWARDS
|JAMES DYSON AWARD MALAYSIA
|AWS BUILD ON, MALAYSIA
|ATOS GLOBAL IT CHALLENGE
|MALAYSIA RESEARCH ASSESSMENT (MYRA®) RATINGS 2020
|MALAYSIA TECHNOLOGY EXPO (MTE)
|ACCA POWER OF ETHICS COMPETITION
|REGIONAL CYBER CHALLENGE (RCC)
|BURSA MALAYSIA NATIONAL INVESTMENT DEBATE CHALLENGE
|TERADATA UNIVERSE DATA ANALYTICS CHALLENGE
|KPMG CYBER SECURITY CHALLENGE
|GEMILANG BUS DESIGN COMPETITION
|INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY CARNIVAL ON E-LEARNIG (IUCEL)
|NATIONAL MATHEMATICS COMPETITION
|INTERNATIONAL ENERGY INNOVATION COMPETITION (EIC) SINGAPORE
|FUSIONEX DATA CHALLENGE
|“PWN TILL DAWN” HACKATHON BY WIZLYNX GROUP
|WORLDSKILLS MALAYSIA (CLOUD COMPUTING) LEAGUE
|INTERNATIONAL INNOVATION, CREATIVITY AND TECHNOLOGY EXHIBITION (i2CreaTE)
|INTERNATIONAL INVENTION, INNOVATION & TECHNOLOGY EXHIBITION (ITEX)
|3 DAYS OF CODE
|OPEN GOV ASIA RECOGNITION FOR EXCELLENCE
|INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERS MALAYSIA (IEM) AWARD
|CYBER HEROES COMPETITION
|ERNST & YOUNG (EY) ASIA-PACIFIC CYBER HACKATHON CHALLENGE
|CIMB 3D CONQUEST
|PROTON DRB-HICOM CREATIVE CAR CHALLENGE
|SINCHEW BUSINESS EXCELLENCE AWARD
|SINCHEW EDUCATION AWARD
|PRIDE INNOVATION AND TRANSFORMATION CHALLENGE
|PERTANDINGAN NYANYIAN LAGU MELAYU ANTARABANGSA (PALMA)
|NASA SPACE APPS CHALLENGE (KUALA LUMPUR)
|RED RIBBON MEDIA AWARDS
|WORLD ASIAN BUSINESS CASE COMPETITION
|INTERNATIONAL INVENTION & INNOVATIVE COMPETITION (INIIC)
|CREST-INTEL INDUSTRY-UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE
|SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC’S ‘GO GREEN IN THE CITY’ COMPETITION – MALAYSIA
|I DARE YOU CHALLENGE
|UNIMAKER CENTRAL REGION COMPETITION
|NXDEFENDER CYBER SECURITY COMPETITION
|MALAYSIAN FINANCIAL PLANNER AWARD
|UNIKL BUSINESS SCHOOL MANAGEMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP CONFERENCE
|ASIAN DOMINATOR CRICKET CUP
|DISRUPT-IT CHALLENGE (DIC)
|SAS NATIONAL FINTECH CHALLENGE
|ASEAN VIRTUAL BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITION
|HACKING, DEFENCE AND FORENSICS COMPETITION
|APPRENTICE INNOVATION & RESEARCH EXHIBITION (AIREX)
|HACK@10 CYBERSECURITY COMPETITION
|“HACK FOR GOOD” CHALLENGE
|INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF INNOVATION ON GREEN TECHNOLOGY (I-FINOG)
|ASEAN DATA SCIENCE EXPLORERS
|SUKAN INSTITUTI PENDIDIKAN TINGGI (SUKIPT)
|INNOVATE MALAYSIA FINALS
|INVENTION & INNOVATION COMPETITION FOR PRIVATE INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING (PERINTIS)
|PRIDE INNOVATION & TRANSFORMATION CHALLENGE
|INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH AND INNOVATION SYMPOSIUM AND EXPOSITION
|CREST INDUSTRY DATA ANALYTICAL CHALLENGE
|THE GREAT LAB SUMMER WORKSHOP
|ABB INTERVASITY INNOVATION CHALLENGE
|SEDEX (SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING DESIGN EXHIBITION CUM COMPETITION)
|YOUNG INTERNATIONAL INNOVATION EXHIBITION (YIIX)
|HEP-IPTS DEBATE COMPETITION
|INTERNATIONAL INTELLECTUAL EXPOSITION (IIEX)
|ASIAN YOUTH INNOVATION AWARDS & EXPO
|DUTCH WORLD’S UNIVERSITY DEBATING CHAMPIONSHIP
|INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION FOR INFORMATION PROCESSING (IFIP) INTERNATIONAL YOUNG IT AWARDS
|BIG APP CHALLENGE
|DIGITAL GAMES COMPETITION
|THE GREAT ROYAL GENDER DEBATE
|MALAYSIAN CRICKET ASSOCIATION INDOOR CRICKET CHAMPIONSHIP
|GREENTECH YOUTH INNOVATION CHALLENGE
|MAPCU-APU ROAD RELAY CHAMPIONSHIP 2016
|MAPCU-APU TAEKWONDO CHAMPIONSHIP 2016
|ENTERPRISE RESOURCE MANAGEMENT CHALLENGE
|JOM HACK: SMART CITIES WITH LORA
|HILTI INTERNATIONAL INDUSTRIAL MOBILE APPLICATION COMPETITION
|INNOVATIVE PRACTICES IN EDUCATION & INDUSTRY EXHIBITION (I-PEINX)
|ANGELHACK GLOBAL HACKATHON (MALAYSIA)
|MATERIALS LECTURE COMPETITION (MLC)
|INDONESIA CAPITAL MARKET STUDENT STUDIES (ICMSS) INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
|E-GENTING PROGRAMMING COMPETITION (R&D DIVISION, EGENTING)
|E-GENTING BUG HUNT
|INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON INFORMATION, SYSTEM AND CONVERGENCE APPLICATIONS (ICISCA)
|BANK NEGARA MALAYSIA MUSEUM ART GALLERY “DOODLE COMPETITION”
|MASISWA NETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
|UNMC TAEKWONDO OPEN INVITATION CHAMPIONSHIP
|1WORLD CULTURE FESTIVAL
|CIMA GLOBAL BUSINESS CHALLENGE MALAYSIA
|PATHFINDER ROBOT COMPETITION
|MALAYSIAN/MILO OPEN KARATE CHAMPIONSHIP
|UTP-HAX NATIONAL HACKING COMPETITION
|CME GLOBAL TRADING CHALLENGE
|MAKEWEEKEND ROBOTICS CHALLENGE 2013
|MALAYSIA CYBERSECURITY AWARDS (CYBERSECURITY MALAYSIA)
|THE BRANDLAUREATE –SMES BEST BRANDS AWARDS
|INTERNATIONAL ASIA PACIFIC ICT AWARDS (APICTA)
|MICROSOFT IMAGINE CUP (MICROSOFT INC.)
|MALAYSIAN GREENTECH AWARDS 2012 (MINISTRY OF ENERGY, GREEN TECHNOLOGY & WATER)
|MSC-IHL BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITION (INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING BUSINESS PLAN COMPETITION BY MULTIMEDIA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION)
|NAPEI AWARDS (NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PRIVATE EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS, MALAYSIA)
|1MALAYSIA INNOVATION TOURNAMENT (1MIT) 2010
|HACK IN THE BOX (HITB) INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION 2010
|MALAYSIA FROST & SULLIVAN TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION AWARD 2010
(WON BY APU GRADUATES)
|WORLD UNIVERSITY DEBATES CHAMPIONSHIP 2010
|STANFORD UNIVERSITY’S GLOBAL INNOVATION TOURNAMENT 2009 (Won by APU Student)
|MSC MALAYSIA CREATIVE INDUSTRY AWARDS 2009
(GAMES CATEGORY – STUDENT)
|ITEX 2009 AWARDS – WON BY APU GRADUATES
(INTERNATIONAL INVENTION, INNOVATION & TECHNOLOGY EXHIBITION)
|MINISTRY OF HIGHER EDUCATION MALAYSIA AWARDS
|BUSINESS EXCELLENCE AWARD 2006
(MALAYSIA CANADA BUSINESS COUNCIL)
|PIKOM – COMPUTIMES ICT AWARDS 2004
(Association of Computer Industry in Malaysia)
|ASIAN INNOVATION AWARDS
(Far Eastern Economic Review, Singapore)
|PRIME MINISTER’S GOLDEN HANDS AWARD
(Ministry of Works Malaysia)
|HSBC YOUNG IT ENTREPRENEUR AWARDS
(HONG KONG BANK)
|MINISTRY OF EDUCATION EXCELLENCE AWARDS
(Ministry of Education, Malaysia)
|ASIA STUDENT .NET AWARDS (Microsoft Inc.)
|DARE TO BE DIGITAL PROGRAMMING COMPETITION
(British Council / University of Abertay, Dundee)
|FORUM NOKIA MOBILE CHALLENGE JAVA COMPETITION (Nokia Inc.)
|ENTERPRISE 50 AWARDS
(Accenture & SMI Devt Corp)
Major Awards & Achievements for Multimedia University (MMU) in Malaysia and Globally
- MMU Makes Its Debut in THE Impact Rankings 2021
Multimedia University (MMU) made its debut in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2021, where the varsity is ranked at 601-800 worldwide. The impact rankings measure global universities’ success in delivering the 17 United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
- MMU is Ranked 351- 400 in the THE Young University Rankings 2021
MMU continues to be ranked in the 351 – 400 band, the same one we occupied when we were first included in the Times Higher Education (THE) Young University Rankings 2021.
- MMU Remains Strong in THE Asia University Rankings 2021 (Top 10 in Malaysia)
Multimedia University (MMU) remains strong in the Times Higher Education (THE) Asia Rankings for the year 2021. The university is ranked at 401+ among universities across Asia. The rankings also listed MMU as Top 10 among all universities in Malaysia.
- MMU Continues Its Excellence Standing in the 401-500 World Rank in THE World University Rankings 2021 (Emerging Economies)
MMU continues to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with other higher-education giants of the world. MMU maintains its ranking with significant improvements in citations, international outlook, and teaching.
- MMU Standing Among TOP 7 Private Universities in Malaysia in the QS World University Rankings 2021
MMU remains strong when the varsity is being counted as one of the Top 7 among Private Universities in Malaysia in the QS World University Ranking (WUR) 2021. Furthermore, we are very proud that the WUR has placed us in the Top 2 in Computer Science, and in the Top 3 in Electrical & Electronics amongst Malaysian private varsities.
- Top 5 – Malaysian Private University in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
MMU enters the rankings as the 34th best university in the ASEAN region and is listed among the top few universities in Malaysia. This is the first time that MMU has qualified to enter the THE rankings.
- Top 200 in QS Asia University Ranking 2020
QS World University Rankings is an annual publication of university rankings by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS). Multimedia University falls within the Top 200 QS Asia University Ranking 2020 due to our holistic education and excellent academic reputation.
- Awarded Silver Award under the Education & Learning Category at Putra Brand Awards 2019
The awards, also known as the People’s Choice Awards, recognises brand building as an integral business investment and is measured by consumer preference. The Putra Brand Awards is organised by the Association of Accredited Advertising Agents Malaysia (4As). It is the only brand awards in Malaysia endorsed by Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation (MATRADE) and supported by the Branding Association of Malaysia (BAM), the Malaysian Advertisers Association (MAA), and the Media Specialists Association (MSA)
- Premier Digital Tech Institution Status 2019
The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) and the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) awarded eight universities and five polytechnics with the Premier Digital Tech University and Preferred Digital Tech Polytechnic status respectively. MMU stood among seven other universities in awarding the status, together with Universiti Malaya, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Universiti Teknologi Mara, Tunku Abdul Rahman University College, Sunway University, Taylor’s University and Asia Pacific University. MMU further fortified its position as the Premier Digital Tech Institution when the university is continuously recognised as one of the senior institutes in Premier Digital Tech which was accorded by the Ministry of Higher Education and Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC)
- Top 3 – Most Entrepreneurial Private University MOHE Entrepreneurial Award (MEA) 2016 The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) introduced MOHE Entrepreneurial Awards (MEA) to act as a catalyst for the creation of a conducive entrepreneurial ecosystem and holistic entrepreneurship development in Malaysian Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in 2012. The award was adapted from the Times Higher Education “Entrepreneurial University Award of the Year’”, sponsored by the National Centre for Entrepreneurship in Education, United Kingdom.
- Top 200 in QS Asia University Ranking 2018
QS World University Rankings is an annual publication of university rankings by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS). Multimedia University falls within the Top 200 QS Asia University Ranking 2018 due to our holistic education and excellent academic reputation.
- Self-Accreditation Status Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) 2017
The Malaysian Qualifications Agency or the MQA is a statutory body in Malaysia set up under the Malaysian Qualifications Act 2007 to accredit academic programs provided by educational institutions providing post secondary or higher education and facilitate the accreditation and articulation of qualifications.
- Malaysian Firms Most Preferred IT Graduates Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific 2017
Multimedia University is committed in serving Malaysian industries and become the most preferred source of skilled knowledge workers in the field of information technology (IT), computer science and digital technologies. Produced by Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific, the report evaluated talent availability and suitability in Malaysia covering both local and foreign graduates for the country’s digital economy sector.
- 97% employability within 6 months of graduation – Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) Tracer Study & MOE Kemaskini Status Pekerjaan 2015
MMU produces industry-ready graduates who enjoy high employability among the most sought after in the industry. The 2015 surveys conducted by MMU and the Higher Education Ministry of Malaysian showed 97% of its graduates secured employment within six months of completing studies – one of the highest employment rate for a private Malaysian university. MMU nurtures entrepreneurial skills among students to ensure that they become employers if they choose in the future.
- Premier Digital Tech University Status 2017
The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) and the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) awarded eight universities and five polytechnics with the Premier Digital Tech University and Preferred Digital Tech Polytechnic status respectively. MMU is one of seven other universities in Malaysia awarded the status
- Top 200 QS World University Ranking for Electrical & Electronic Engineering, 2015-2017
- Top 300 QS World University Ranking for Computer Science & Information Systems, 2017
- Service Section, Management System Certification Department SIRIM QAS International Sdn. Bhd. Awarded with MS ISO 9001:2015
Awards and Achievements for Multimedia University (MMU) Malaysia
- Multimedia University (MMU) is ranked 179th in Asia according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University rankings for 2018.
- 2017 QS World University Rankings by Subject again listed MMU as the No. 1 private university in Malaysia for “Electrical & Electronics Engineering” and “Computer Science & Information Systems”
- 2017 – Multimedia University (MMU) was awarded the Premier Digital Tech University status by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), in recognition of its achievements and dedication in offering top-notch digital technology courses, and in doing so ensuring the continued supply of highly-skilled graduates needed by the digital economy locally and globally.
- 2017 – Multimedia University (MMU), together with seven other higher learning institutions have been awarded the self-accreditation status by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
- 3 MMU Teams Attain Project Happiness 2021 Grant
- Faculty of Engineering & Technology Team Wins 1st Consolation Prize in the Crown Prince CIPTA Award 2021
- MMU Team Wins Gold Award at MTE 2021: The 2nd Covid-19 International Innovation Awards
- MMU Academic Bags Outstanding Professor of the Year Award in World Education Leaders Summit & Awards 2021
- MMU Academics Clinch Rising Star Award at ASM ArtScience Prize
- MMU Alumnus Receives International Recognition for his work on Solar Energy
- MMU Lecturer and Students Win Yung Investigator Award 2021
- MMU Lecturers Bag Gold Award at Penang International Invention, Innovation & Design Competition (IID 2021)
- MMU Receives Special Award for National Energy Award (NEA) 2020
- MMU Student Bags Gold Award at EduInovation 2020
- MMU Student Emerges Champion at ESU International Public Speaking Competition
- MMU Team Emerges Champion of Dota2 in University eLeague 2021
- MMU Team Emerges Runner Up for Prototype Vehicle Design Award in Shell Eco-Marathon 2021
- MMU Team Wins Bizmaker Competition 2021
- MMU VR Students’ Project among Top 4 Best Student Game at SEA Games Awards 2020
- Faculty of Law Students Bag First Runner-Up at RWC-NAMCO Sports Arbitration Mooting Competition 2021
- Faculty of Business Student Wins “Pertandingan Menulis Rencana Akhbar 2021”
- Faculty of Business Students Bags Second Runner-Up Most Agile Team Award in the ICAEW China & South East Asia Business Challenge 2020
- MMU Lecturer Bags Second Place for “Make New Normal a Culture” Campaign
- MMU Lecturer Bags 3 Awards at 2020 International Postgraduate Symposium in Tourism & Hospitality
- MMU Professor Bags CIMA Research Excellence Award
- MMU Ranked as Top 3 in Education for Most Attractive Graduate Employers to Work for in 2021
- MMU Research Team Bags the Semi-Grand Prize at the 5th International Invention Innovation Competition in Canada (iCAN 2020)
- MMU Student Represents Malaysia at 2020 FISU World University Championship
- MMU Student Wins 3rd Prize in MyTiger Values Art Competition 2020
- MMU Students Bag First Prize at IDE-A Competition
- MMU Students Bag Gold Award and the Best Young Inventor Award at ISEBA 2020
- MMU Students Receive Bronze Medals at Anugerah Remaja Perdana (ARP)
- MMU Team Wins the 15th LAWASIA International Moot Competition (National Rounds)
- 2 MMU Researchers Receive Top Research Scientist Malaysia 2020 Awards
- MMU Awarded Superbrands Status in 2019
- MMU is Ranked in the Top 5 Malaysian Private Universities in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- MMU Wins Silver Award under the Education & Learning Category at the Putra Brands Awards 2019
- MMU Lecturer Receives “Bharat Nirman Awards in Education Training” in India
- MMU Researcher Receives World Invention Special Award in Korea
- MMU Students Win 2nd & 3rd Runner Up at Fusionex Data Challenge 2019
- MMU Lecturer Shortlisted as Finalist at National Outstanding Educator Award 2019
- Nursyafiqah Azlan from Faculty of Creative Multimedia secures finalist place in Student Focus final of 2017 Sony World Photography Awards
- Foundation in Engineering & Technology Senior Lecturer from MMU Melaka, Dr. Ervina Efzan Mhd Noor won Second Place for Green Innovation Category at the Melaka Green Award 2017 through her innovation in Banana Stem Glass Project.
- 2017- MMU Melaka Campus secured the Second Place for Green Practice Category Award in the Melaka Green Award 2017.
- Multimedia University (MMU) emerged as the Most Entrepreneurial Private University for 2017 and Top 8 Most Entrepreneurial University in Malaysia in the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) Entrepreneurial Award 2017 (MEA 2017)
- Most Entrepreneurial Private University in MOHE Entrepreneurial Award (MEA) 2016
- Yasmin Ahmad Ariffin, from the Faculty of Management, Multimedia University (MMU) was the (Ernst & Young) EY Young Tax Professional of the Year 2016 Malaysia. Yasmin represented Malaysia at the EY Young Tax Professional of the Year international finals.
- 2017 – MMU Faculty of Engineering earns four (4) accolades from the global professional association, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- 2016 – MMU Prosecution Team, composed of four Faculty of Law students emerged as the Champion of the International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Moot Competition Malaysia
- MMU to Represent Malaysia at Asia Pacific Round of IHL Moot Competition 2017 in Hong Kong
- 2016 – Ir. Prof. Dr. Sim Kok Swee from Faculty of Engineering and Technology (FET) with his team members, Desmond Kho Teck Kiang, EE Chung Sheng, Victor Teh, Nicholas Koh, Ting Fung Fung and Lim Zheng You had won the Kristal Awards Q2/2016 Telekom Malaysia (TM), for Group Category
- 2016 – Multimedia University (MMU) students won three awards in the Degree Category of the Institute of Higher Learning-Multimedia Super Corridor (IHL-MSC) Malaysia Start-up Challenge 2016
- 2016, two of Faculty of Business (FOB) lecturers, Nurshamimah Samsuddin and Maliza Mohd Nor won a Gold Medal in the Invention, Innovation & Design Exposition 2016 (IIDEX 2016) at Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM) Lendu, Melaka for their research on Autism Kids: Survivor Quiet Book.
- 2016 – Three of Faculty of Computing and Informatics (FCI) students won the First Runner Up at the inaugural CIMB Data Science Challenge 2016 held at Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC), Cyberjaya. The students, Khor Huai Qian, Hii Yong Lian and Lee Zhen Yong who named their team as MoCHA, won cash prize RM8,000
- 2016 – MMU professor from Faculty of Engineering, Prof. Dr. Ong Duu Sheng was invited to speak at Policy Forum on ‘Higher education quality and employability: How can Internal Quality Assurance (IQA) contribute?’ at Xiamen, Fujian, China.
- 2016 – Faculty of Cinematic Art (FCA) student, Thevanesan Kuna Cegeram won the first runner up in Astro’s Vaannavil Short Film Contest 2016
- 2016 – MMU professor, Prof. Dr. Murali Raman, the Dean of Faculty of Management (FOM) received the National Award for Outstanding Educator (Management of Information Technology) in the Education Cooperation of Private Universities in Malaysia (EDUCOOP)
- 2016 – Faculty of Cinematic Art (FCA), Chan Teik Quan through his short film entitled ‘Spotlight’, won the Best International Film in Take 21 Film Festival 2016 (formerly known as Toronto Short Film Festival – TSFF) organised at Toronto, Canada. The film, starring Adam Zainal and Sahira Jeff‑ry, the FCA students, was screened at the Bloor Hot Docs Theatre, Toronto Canada. The festival has received hundreds of submissions from almost every continent on the globe.
- 2016 – MMU lecturer from the Faculty of Engineering and Technology (FET ), Dr. Ervina Efzan Mhd Noor, has won a gold medal at The 8th EUROPEAN Exhibition of Creativity and Innovation (EUROINVENT 2016 ), in Lasi, Romania
- 2016 – Multimedia University (MMU) has bagged a total of 12 medals, consisting a big sweep of 9 Golds and 3 Silvers in the 27th International Invention & Innovation Exhibition (ITEX) 2016 on 13 May 2016. ITEX is one of the largest invention exhibitions in the world and is a showcase of the region’s best inventions from Asia and Europe.
- 2015 – Prof. Dr. Wong Hin Yong of Faculty of Engineering was pronounced as the Honoree of the Ten Outstanding Young Malaysian (TOYM) Award 2015
- 2015 – The latest mobile apps, Qtix which was invented by MMU students has been listed in the top ten of Asian Tech Startups Website
- 2015 – Prof. Dr. Ho Chin Kuan of FCI was honored with the prestigious award from the 6th Asia’s Education Excellence Awards for Outstanding Contribution to Education at Singapore.
- 2015 – MMU Faculty of Creative Multimedia students, Abdullah Amirulamin Hamid won the first prize while Gabriel Zoe Chew won its consolation prize in the Photography Category at Vision Petron; National Student Art Competition 2015 organised by Petron Malaysia.
- 2015 – Multimedia University (MMU) has officially emerged as one of the seven universities selected to embark into the newest initiatives of training CtoCinternship pilot program by Google Malaysia called Google Ignite.
- 2015 – Six students from Faculty of Management MMU Cyberjaya emerged as second runner up in the first Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) Regional Business Challenge at Connexion@Nexus Bangsar Kuala Lumpur. The team comprising of Beh Chun Chuan, Dursharlmini Sivam, Rita Ling Yann Bing, Seow Qianru, Andrew Wong Theng Fong and Chan Jun Wing stood up among 23 other teams from four ASEAN countries.
- 2015 – Students from Faculty of Management team won the Tomei Group for “Innovative Youth, Future Business Leader 2.0″competition
- 2015 – MMU RoboForce teams have won 2nd and 3rd places in Tunnel Escape Robot category in the Robot Games competition
- MMU successfully walked away with 1 Gold and 11 Silver Award during the 26th International Invention & Innovation Exhibition (ITEX) 2015
- 2015 MSC APICTA – Merit Award
- 2015 – Students Tan Ji Sheng from MMU Cyberjaya and Lee Song from MMU Melaka were crowned as first and second runner up champion of Universal Window App Category in The Windows 10 Gam Jam Hackathon. It was organised by Microsoft Student Partners Malaysia (MSP Malaysia) and Microsoft Malaysia
- Tan Yong Lin from Faculty of Creative Multimedia was announced as one of the category winners in the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards, the world’s biggest photography competition.
MMU has strengthened its position in the global engineering sector when one of its researcher, Professor Ir. Dr. Sim Kok Swee was appointed as a Fellow of The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), effectively commencing on 8 April 2015
- 2015 – MMU team, consisting of members, Vivian Chua, Eva Low and Nurain Lokman from the Faculty of Management, powered to be the championship of the second Deloitte Malaysia Risk Intelligence Challenge Trophy(RICT).
- MMU Engineering was listed Top 200 of the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings by Subject 2015 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- 2015 – MMU Researchers won 1 Gold & 11 Silver in International Innovation and Technology Exhibition (ITEX) 2015
- 2014 – Prof. Dr. Hairul Azhar from Faculty of Engineering was named as one of the Top Research Scientist Malaysia (TRSM) by the Academy of Science Malaysia (ASM)
- 2014 – MMU researcher gained the title of Top Research Scientist Malaysia (TRSM) 2014. Ir. Professor Dr. Sim Kok Swee received the higher recognition from Academic Science Malaysia as Top Research Scientists Malaysia (TRSM)
- 2014 – Dr. Shaista from Faculty of Management research paper, “Comparative study of the performance of Islamic and conventional banks: The case of Malaysia” has been selected by the Emerald Insight journal’s Editorial Team as the Outstanding Paper of 2013
- 2014 – MMU Team Won the 1st prize in the Big App Challenge 1.0
- 2014 – MMU Team Won the 1st prize in the Mobile Data Hackathon
- 2014 – MMU RoboForce team headed by Mr. Lim Chee Siong and Mr. Lee Chee Cheong has won the 1st runner-up in the Robo-Soccer competition
- MMU swept away a total of 16 awards out of 24 awards contested at the “Filem Festival Pelajar ke-11 2014 (FFP11)”.
- MMU Faculty of Engineering Team Bagged the 1st and 2nd spot at Innovate Malaysia 2014
2014 – Mr Joseph Emerson Raja, a lecturer from the Faculty of Engineering and Technology has won the silver medal award for his poster in the Innovative Practices in Higher Education Expo 2014 (I-PHEX 2014)
- 2014 – MMU Student, Hon Siong Chong, was selected to be part of the Google Student Ambassador Program
- MMU lecturer, Dr. Tan Wooi Nee from the Faculty of Engineering was awarded the Best Paper Award at the 2014 International Conference on Digital Image Processing (ICDIP 2014), that was held in Athens, Greece.
- MMU Students & Alumni Won in AngelHack 2014
- Dr. Deepak Kumar from the Faculty of Engineering was awarded the “Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Samman – 2014” Award in New Delhi, for his outstanding research and book publication, which gained the recognition in India.
- A student of Faculty of Engineering & Technology, Ms. Losini a/p Amarasan has won the Material Lecture Competition 2014 (MLC 2014)
- MMU won 6 gold and 6 silver awards for the 12 products showcased in the 25th International Invention, Innovation and Technology Exhibition (ITEX) 2014.
- MMU has gained the recognition as One of Asia’s Best Private Education Institutes by World Consulting & Research Corporation (WCRC) 2014.
- MMU is listed in the Top 200 QS World University Rankings by Subject in Computer Science & Information System 2014
- 2013 – MMU Won 3 Gold & 4 Silver in International Invention, Innovation and Technology Exhibition (ITEX) 2013
- PECIPTA 2013 – MMU won BEST OF THE BEST AWARD, 3 Gold, 4 Silver & 7 Bronze
- i-Hack 2013 – Champion, Student Security Project Competition
- In 2012, MMU was awarded the Export Excellence Award (Services) Category II from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI).
- According to the QS Asian University Rankings 2012, Multimedia University is the sole Malaysian private university to be ranked among the top 200 in Asia.
- 2012 E-Genting Programming Competition – MMU Students won 2nd Place & Merit
- In 2012, MMU was awarded the Export Excellence Award (Services) Category II from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI).
- MSC Malaysia-IHL Business Plan Competition 2011/2012 – Second Runner Up and Merit Prize
- 2011 Brand Excellence Award (Services Professional) from the Industry Excellence Award (IEA).
- 2011 – Cisco Malaysia Networking Skill Competition – MMU Students won the 1st, 3rd, 4th & 7th Place Winner
- 2010 Award
Winners: Wong Jun Hao and Lim Chong Hooi under the supervision of Mr. Lim Boon Kian & Mr. Liew Kia WaiDate awarded: Tuesday, 1st June 2010Award: 2nd Price of Mechanical Engineering Category. Autodesk Malaysia Design Competition 2009. Students Wong Jun Hao and Lim Chong Hooi under the supervision of Mr. Lim Boon Kian & Mr. Liew Kia Wai won the 2nd Prize of Mechanical Engineering Category at Autodesk Malaysia Design Competition 2009.
Winners: IET Student Chapter of MMU Melaka CampusDate awarded: Saturday, 31st July 2010Award: IET Best Student Chapter Award & IET Leadership Award. IET Malaysia Network Annual Dinner held at Sunway Pyramid Convention Centre, Selangor, Malaysia. This annual award is awarded to the most active student chapter of that particular one-year period. Student chapters were judged not only by the number of successfully organized events, but also how well they interact with each other and also Younger Members Section (YMS).
Winners: Anushya Ramasegar / Engr. Liew Kia WaiDate awarded: Tuesday, 21st September 2010Award: Best Oral Presenter Award. iDECON 2010. The Best Presenter Award. International Conference on Design & Concurrent Engineering 2010. Ms. Anushya Ramsegar under the supervision of Engr. Liew Kia Wai awarded the Best Oral Presenter Award at iDECON 2010.2009 Awards
Winner: FET Robocon TeamDate awarded: Sunday, 10th May 2009Award: Champion. Malaysia Robocon 2009. The FET Roboforce1 team emerged as the champion in the Malaysia Robocon 2009 Competition. Team members:Yong Yik Seng (Manager), Teoh Kok Poh (Leader), Members – Heng Seng Kuang, Ngiow Shin Tat and Lim Yu Wei.
Winner: FET Robocon TeamDate awarded: Sunday, 10th May 2009Award: The Best Technology Award. Malaysia Robocon 2009. The FET Roboforce 2 team won the Best Technology Award. Team members for Roboforce 2:Thum Chia Chieh (Manager), Lui Zhen Wei (Leader), Members – Liow Kok Hong, Chu Shi Xiang and Ong Soon Mi
Winner: MMU Robocon TeamDate awarded: Saturday, 22nd August 2009Award: Toyota Award. Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) ROBOCON 2009. Multimedia University represented Malaysia in the international level of Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) ROBOCON 2009 robot building competition on 22 August 2009. MMU were presented the Toyota Award, sponsored by Toyota Motor Corporation.
Date awarded: Sunday, 17th May 2009Award: Gold Medal Award. 20th International Invention, Innovation and Technology Exhibition (ITEX 09). Project headed by Dr. Ir. Sim Kok Swee, won a Gold medal for their project “Automated Spoligotype Recognition for Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Strain Typing” under the category of Biotechnology, Health and Fitness. Team members are Tan Tiong Lang, Ong Chia Sui, and Lai Min Ann.2008 Awards
Winner: FET ROBOCON TEAMDate awarded: Sunday, 31st August 2008Award: BEST MANUAL MACHINE AWARD. Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) ROBOCON 2008 – International Level. FET Robocon team which comprised of 4 lecturers and 20 students has participated in the international level of Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) ROBOCON 2008 robot building contest on 31 August 2008 and the team has managed to win Best Manual Machine Award.
Winner: FETDate awarded: Sunday, 11th May 2008Award: Gold Medal. ITEX 2008. Project Title : Canny Optimisation Technique for Creative Image Colourisation Team members: Dr. Sim Kok Swee, Ting Huong Yong, Lilian Chang, Lai Min Ann 19th International Invention, Innovation & Technology Exhibition ITEX 2008 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Winner: FET: Cheaw Wen Guey and Heng Seng KuangDate awarded: Saturday, 6th September 2008Award: 2nd Place and The Fastest Maze Solving Award. ROBOGAMEZ 2008. Students from FET, Cheaw Wen Guey and Heng Seng Kuang participated in ROBOGAMEZ 2008 organized by Uniten. After competing with participants from UNITEN, UTM and UPM, they won the 2nd place and The Fastest Maze Solving award in the open category.2007 Awards
Winner: CITSDate awarded: Wednesday, 17th January 2007Award: CISCO Networks Innovation Awards 2007. Best Converged Campus Network Award. CISCO Networks Innovation Awards 2007
Winner: FETDate awarded: Monday, 5th March 2007Award: 2nd Prize – Altera InNoCom 2006. Altera InNoCom 2006. Project Title: Network Embedded Remote-Controlled Robot Supervisor: Dr. SIm KS Memebrs: Lam Jun Wei, Danny Ng Wee Kiat and Wong Chee Siang
- Industry Excellence Award 2004 – Export Excellence Award in Education.