How Much do Software Engineers and Programmers Earn in Malaysia?
Salary is one of the important factors for students when choosing the right course to study. After all, the aim of studying is to get a job and the aim of a job is to attain salary that can sustain your future lifestyle and take care of your family. Therefore, in helping students to make this very important decision, EduSpiral Consultant Services has compiled the salary for software engineers and programmers in Malaysia from various reputable human resource recruitment firms for you to have an idea of the future salary.
The Fourth Industrial Revolution (Industry 4.0), digitalization, innovation, automation and other technological advancement would impact all industries in Malaysia. The Industry 4.0 will change the kinds of jobs needed across all market sectors in the future. Having said this, a career as a software engineer or programmer will enable you to have a job with high demand & salary. Therefore, graduates must possess the right skills to value-add, innovate, communicate and interact in a technology-driven job landscape.
Software developers usually have a bachelor’s degree in software engineering or computer science. The need for new applications on mobile devices and tablets will help increase the demand for application software developers. Software and applications developers work in many different fields, with growth expected in the medical insurance, consumer electronics, and cybersecurity fields. In addition, software Developers are sought after by IT consultancy and banking employers. In high demand are PHP, C++, C#, JAVA/J2EE, ASP.Net, SharePoint and Mobile Application (Android / iOS / Mobile Web) Developers.
You might also be interested to read these:
- Top 50 Jobs with High Future Demand in Malaysia
- 30 Jobs with Future High Demand & Salaries in Malaysia – Find Out so you can choose the Best Course to Study Now!
- Study Courses that has High Job Demand in Malaysia
- Top 20 Courses to Study in Malaysia that has High Job Demand & Stable Salary
- Top 10 Best Courses to Study in Malaysia
- What is the Best Course to study after SPM or O-Levels in Malaysia?
- Malaysia’s 28 Top Jobs in Demand in Future with High Salaries
- Top 10 Degree Courses in Malaysia with Highest Starting Salaries
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
High Demand for Qualified & Trained Software Engineers & Programmers in Malaysia
The information technology (IT) industry is expected to face a shortage of between 7,000 and 15,000 professionals, as Malaysia rides the wave of the growing digital economy. The industry is currently in need of specialised workers in various IT fields. By 2025, the IT industry will require one million specialised working professionals as the industry is experiencing a rampant growth.
Software development companies in Malaysia are steadily increasing their portfolios, but there is a shortage of skilled software development candidates for the growing number of jobs, says recruiting experts Hays in Malaysia.
Candidates with high-quality agile software development skills are in particularly high demand.
“Software development companies’ portfolios now include web design, web application development, mobile application development, desktop application development, software maintenance and much more,” says Chris Mead, Regional Director of Hays in Malaysia and Singapore.
“There are many software companies in Malaysia that offer a fully-fledged and multi-faceted portfolio of agile software development service offerings, from Facebook app development to visually appealing and highly interactive apps for iOS and Android.
“Their agile software development portfolio often consists of technologies such as PHP, Java, .NET, Android, iOS & Windows Phone, XHTML, JQuery and HTML.
What is Software Engineering or Programming?
Computer software engineers, or software developers, design and develop software applications or computer systems in Malaysia. They develop computer applications for clients as well as the major systems that make a computer run.
Software Engineering is developing, designing and maintaining software systems that are reliable and efficiently carries out the tasks smoothly. The software system is created in collaboration with the needs and requirements of the clients. The software designed must be user friendly for the staff or customers to use.
Software Engineering is an integration of computer science, computer programming, mathematics and engineering practice. Software engineers apply the principles of computer science and mathematical analysis to the design, development, testing, and evaluation of the software and systems that make computers work
Software Engineering is the field of studying, devising and building a practical solution to a problem. The objective of a software engineer is to understand a problem within a computer and create software that eases the problem. This could include either manipulating existing software or creating a new one from scratch. Software is required to make computer function. This job is mostly a team effort. Engineers group together with programmers in order to build a software that works with the system at hand.
How to Have a Successful Career in Software Engineering in Malaysia?
Graduate employability has also become a concern for Malaysia. Employers recognise the concerns on graduate’s skills gap, such as the lack of industrial training experience and communication skills. Hence, just choosing the right course doesn’t necessarily ensure a successful future.
Students need to choose the best university that will prepare and equip you with technological know-how as well as the soft skills to enter the job market and move up. EduSpiral has helped thousands of students in choosing their course and university through personalised counseling supported by facts & evidence. WhatsApp 01111408838 to find out how we can help you.
Salary Reports for Software Engineers & Programmers in Malaysia
The ever-increasing cost of living in Malaysia is making it challenging for fresh graduates and working professionals to support their lifestyle. In light of that, it would be important for students to plan ahead what career that you want to enter into so that you can choose a course that has future job demand and high salary in Malaysia.
Knowing that future salary of the course you are going to choose will be able to take care of your personal and future family’s needs is valuable. You don’t want to have chosen a course that will have very low salary and have to struggle to survive. The Covid-19 pandemic have wiped out many jobs and left many people jobless. This would have given you an idea of how many people had to struggle to take care of their families. Do you want to be one of them?
Below are the salary reports for software engineers and programmers in Malaysia for 2020 to give you an idea of how much you can earn if you choose to study software engineering.
Robert Walters Salary Survey 2020 Malaysia
Robert Walters Salary Survey 2020 Malaysia – Kuala Lumpur (Salaries are yearly in ‘000 RM)
- Solution Architect 180 – 336k
- Development Manager 156 – 312k
- Software Developer 96 – 216k
- Application Support 78 – 144k
- UI/UX Designer 96 – 192k
- Test Manager 156 – 198k
- Quality Assurance Engineer 84 – 144k
Michael Page Salary Benchmark 2020 Malaysia
- Michael Page Salary Benchmark 2020 reports that a Software Engineer in the Technology & Telecommunications Sector earns from RM80,000 to RM180,000 a year. A Chief Technology Officer (CTO) can earn from RM245,000 to RM450,000.
Randstad 2020 Market Outlook & Salary Snapshot
- Randstad 2020 Market Outlook & Salary Snapshot reports that a Software Developer with 3 – 5 years experience earns between 6,000 – 12,000 a month.
2020 Hays Salary Guide Malaysia
2020 Hays Salary Guide Malaysia -Information Technology – DEVELOPMENT (Salaries are yearly in ‘000 RM)
- ANALYST PROGRAMMER
- MS.Net/J2EE 60 – 108
- VB6/ASP/SQL/Delphi/C++ 60 – 85
- Oracle Forms/Reports 60 – 85
- SENIOR ANALYST PROGRAMMER
- MS.Net/J2EE 90 – 240
- VB6/ASP/SQL/Delphi/C++ 90 – 120
- Oracle Forms/Reports 70 – 100
- DATA SPECIALISTS
- Data Architect 120 – 240
- Database Administrator 120 – 180
- Data Modeller 144 – 216
- Data Warehouse Consultant 120 – 216
- Data Analyst 96 – 144
- MANAGEMENT ROLES
- Development Team Leader 120 – 198
- Development Manager 180 – 264
- SOFTWARE TESTING
- Test Analyst 75 – 90
- Senior Test Analyst 108 – 156
- QA Manager 180 – 240
- QA Director 264 – 330
Kelly Services 2019/2020 Salary Guide
According to Kelly Services 2019/2020 Salary Guide, the monthly salaries (RM) for Information Technology (IT) are:
- Chief Information Officer 12-18 years experience will range from 30,000 60,000
- Program Director 12-18 years experience will range from 25,000 to 40,000
- Project Director 12-18 years experience will range from 18,000 to 30,000
- Software Development Manager 8-12 years experience will range from 15,000 to 25,000
- Lead Software Developer 5-8 years experience will range from 10,000 to 17,000
- Business Consultant 5-7 years experience will range from 7,000 to 11,000
- Software Sales Manager 4-6 years experience will range from 7,500 to 11,000
- Software Engineer 2-3 years experience will range from 4,500 7,000
- Systems Programmer 2 years experience will range from 4,500 to 7,000
- Analyst Programmer 2 years experience will range from 4,500 to 6,000
- Java Developer 1-3 years experience will range from 4,500 to 7,000
- Programmer 1-2 years experience will range from 4,500 to 8,000