What do Chemical Engineers do in Malaysia?
Study at the Best Private Universities with Chemical Engineering Degree Courses Accredited by Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
Students after SPM or O-Levels who are sure of choosing engineering for their degree studies may go for the Foundation in Engineering. If you are still not sure whether you want engineering or other science courses, you may choose the Foundation in Science programme at premier private universities in Malaysia. Students after the external Pre-University Programme such as A-Levels, UEC, STPM, SAM, CPU, MUFY or AUSMAT may enter directly into the Chemical Engineering Degree programme with relevant results.
Chemical engineering is about designing the product and the process for manufacturing foods, fuels and materials from their raw state into a new form. Chemical engineers create the systems and equipment used in industrial chemical processing. Chemical engineers in Malaysia are responsible for producing processed foods as well as engineering petrol, developing different plastics, dyes, paints and papers. Chemical Engineering usually operates on an industrial scale. A chemical engineer makes things happen efficiently on a massive, industrial manufacturing scale. And skills in chemistry, physics and mathematics, and even economics are what makes a chemical engineer so valuable.
Engineering may not be the easiest course to study, but it continues to be in demand in Malaysia and globally. You’re also more likely to find employment quickly and work your way up the career ladder with an engineering degree from a top private university in Malaysia. The key benefits of studying engineering are both financial and prospect based. Financially, the starting salaries are among the best across all industry sectors. The demand for well-qualified, skilled graduates outstrips supply, and companies are struggling to find recruits for vacancies locally and globally. Therefore, graduates have the opportunity to work overseas.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.
Study at the Best Private Universities in Malaysia for Chemical Engineering
There are not many universities that offer the Chemical Engineering degree in Malaysia and for those who offer, most are still new and do not have the accreditation from the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM). Students should choose the best university to study so that they can gain the necessary skills to succeed in the competitive work environment.
In order to succeed as a Chemical Engineer in Malaysia, students should choose the best private universities in Malaysia to study Chemical Engineering so that you can gain the necessary knowledge and skills. Students after SPM or UEC, should visit the universities’ campuses to look at the facilities and talk to the lecturers to gauge their experience.
The chemical engineering degrees at the top private universities in Malaysia should be accredited by MQA and also the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM). Other than the academic quality of the universities, students must seriously consider the student environment. Research has shown that employers have rejected 56% of job interviewees because of the lack of skill in the English language.
Graduates with a strong command of the English language have also been found to earn 25% higher salaries and have faster promotions in their jobs. Therefore, in order to succeed, students should choose a private university with an English-speaking student environment to enhance their career competitiveness. You may save a few thousand by going to a cheaper university with a non-English speaking environment, but remember, you will be getting 25% lower salary and slower promotion for the next 50 years of your work life.
Best Private Universities in Malaysia for Chemical Engineering Degree Courses
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- Curtin University Sarawak
- Monash University
- Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)
- UCSI University
Accreditation of the Engineering Degrees by Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)
Undergraduate degrees from top private universities in Malaysia typically take four years to complete and give you a broad understanding of the subject field, as well as developing your theoretical and practical techniques which could be transferred to almost any industry. UK engineering bachelor degrees are 3 years in duration and the 4th year is the M.Eng. or Master in Engineering.
The engineering degree programmes from Curtin University Sarawak, Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, Asia Pacific University, Taylor’s University, UCSI University, and KDU University College Utropolis Glenmarie are four years in duration and are accredited or pending accreditation by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM). The engineering degrees are four years in duration because of the requirement by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) in order for graduates to become professional engineers.
UK Engineering undergraduate degrees are offered as BEng or MEng, with the latter taking four years of
full-time study. A BEng takes three years to complete and graduates are still able to find work without any problems. However, in order to become a professional engineer in Malaysia, a four-year engineering degree is required, therefore, graduates with a UK BEng degree will need to take a top-up and obtain the MEng.
For example, students can obtain a BEng from the engineering degrees at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia and continue on for another year to obtain the MEng. Therefore, will be allowed for registration with BEM.
In Australia, the Bachelor of Engineering (BE) is a four-year undergraduate course. All of Curtin University Sarawak’s engineering degree courses are four-years in duration and are accredited by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM). The Institution of Engineers in Australia accredits degree courses and graduates of accredited courses are eligible for membership of the Institution. Even if you decide to work in an industry other than engineering, the skills and knowledge acquired within an engineering degree will be easily transferable.
Chemical Engineering at Top Ranked Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Heriot-Watt University’s Ranking in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014 is in the Top 10 in the UK for Chemical Engineering, and Top in Scotland for Chemical Engineering.
The Complete University Guide 2015 ranks Heriot-Watt University 33rd in the UK and 4th in Scotland. Heriot-Watt University is 22nd in the world, based on the ‘international outlook’ indicator from THE World University Rankings. The university is placed in the top 4%, based on approximation of at least 10,000 universities in the world.
In accordance with Heriot-Watt University Malaysia’s normal practice, their professionally orientated programmes are designed to meet the educational requirements for membership of relevant professional institutions. In addition to accreditation within Malaysia, the university seeks accreditation by the relevant UK or international professional bodies in accordance with their standard procedures. BEng graduates from Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, with work experience and additional matching sections (higher
level academic study), are eligible for accreditation by the Institution of Chemical Engineers in the UK.
The Chemical Engineering BEng (Hons) at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia programme has been approved by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and the Ministry of Education (MOE).
For registration by Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) a four-year undergraduate MEng programme is required. In addition, relevant work experience is required for accreditation by the Institution of Chemical Engineers in the UK.
Study Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical Engineering) Degree Course at the Top Ranked Curtin University Sarawak
The Department of Chemical Engineering at Curtin University Sarawak Campus brings together staff and students with multicultural and international environment.
It is the place for undergraduate and postgraduate studies, where the students would find an exciting environment with excellent and outstanding teaching and research facilities while enjoying a fee structure which is extremely reasonable by international standards.
Curtin University Sarawak’s vision is to bridge chemical engineering and sciences into industrial practice. The Department of Chemical Engineering has been expanding significantly and continues to undergo great changes to ensure that the latest research development is integrated into teaching and learning activities.
A number of competitive research grants from Government and Industries have been secured by Curtin University Sarawak staff. Research collaborations have been established not only with local industries and academic institutions but also internationally.
The Chemical Engineering degree course at Curtin University Sarawak is fully accredited by Board of Engineers Malaysia, Engineers Australia and IChemE
Curtin University Sarawak Rankings & Reputation
- 2014 – Curtin University Sarawak is rated Tie5 or Excellent in the SETARA 2013 ranking of universities in Malaysia by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA)
- 2013 – Curtin Sarawak achieves ISO 9001: 2008 certification, delivered by certifying agency SIRIM QAS Sdn. Bhd. It
brings Curtin Sarawak in line with Curtin University’s campuses in Perth and Singapore, which have also achieved ISO 9001:2008 certification.
- 2013 – Higher degree by research (HDR) student Lue Ik Hong becomes Curtin Sarawak’s second recipient of MyBrain15 scholarship for postgraduate study.
- 2013 – Curtin Sarawak achieves a Tier 5 or “Excellent” rating for Engineering in the new Discipline-Based Rating System (D-Setara) introduced by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) to rate the quality of teaching and learning of undergraduates in Malaysian higher learning institutions.
- 2013 – Dr. Ujjal Kumar Ghosh, senior lecturer in the Department of Chemical Engineering, is honoured with a Chemcon Distinguished Speaker (CDS) Award by the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (IIChE). The CDS Award is awarded to individuals who have made significant contributions to the field of chemical engineering either in academia or in industry.
- 2013 – Dr. Amandeep S. Sidhu of the Curtin Sarawak Research Institute co-organises the 1st International Symposium on
Biomedical Data Infrastructure (BDI 2013) in Kuala Lumpur with Dr. Sarinder K. Dhillon from University of Malaya. The symposium discusses the next generation of information integration approaches that are needed to ensure increasing infrastructure agility required for high-throughput biomedical research.
- 2013 – Associate Professor Dr. Michael K. Danquah of the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering is appointed member of the Board of Trustees of Open Access Publishing London (OAPL).
- 2013 – Two academics from Curtin Sarawak, Associate Professor Dr. Michael K. Danquah and Dr. Mesfin G. Woldetensay from the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, School of Engineering and Science, were shortlisted by The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) Malaysia for the IChemE Awards 2013. They were nominated for the Innovator of the Year and the Petrochemical Processing awards, respectively.
- 2012 – Curtin University Sarawak is rated Tie5 or Excellent in the SETARA 2011 ranking of universities in Malaysia by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA)
Outstanding Chemical Engineering Degree Programme Accredited by Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) at Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus
The Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) Chemical Engineering programme at Taylor’s University is designed to equip students with a sound understanding of fundamental theories and concepts in chemical engineering, primarily the knowledge to transform raw materials into useful products efficiently and safely, with minimal environmental impact.
Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits including the relevant subjects may enter the Taylor’s University Foundation in Engineering for 1 year before continuing on to the chemical engineering degree. Pre-University graduates such as UEC, STPM, A-Levels, SAM, CPU, AUSMAT and others may enter directly into the 4-year Chemical Engineering degree providing they meet the minimum entry requirements. The Chemical Engineering degree at Taylor’s University is accredited by MQA and the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM). Taylor’s University is a top ranked private university in Malaysia and is an excellent choice for students who desire an education that is premier.
During the Chemical Engineering degree programme at Taylor’s University, students will acquire knowledge in integration of engineering principles and applications with chemistry and other sciences.
Students will be instilled with technical proficiency and industry knowledge, as well as the ability to apply theories into practical and feasible innovations, in a multidisciplinary environment.
4-Year Chemical Engineering programme at Taylor’s University
Focus on Core Expertise
- In-depth knowledge of optimising and controlling chemical engineering process systems using appropriate mathematical and simulation tools through modules such as Engineering Mathematics, Chemical Process Modelling and Chemical Process Control.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of designing a process plant through modules such as Process Integration & Unit Operations, Engineering Economics, Safety Process Plant Design and Chemical Engineering Group Project.
- Opportunity to acquire knowledge in oil and gas sectors as well as renewable energy, via elective modules such as Gas Processing & Liquefaction, Fundamentals of Petroleum Engineering and
- Renewable & Alternative Energies.
- Exposure to electrical and electronic engineering modules for a better understanding of the design and application of electrical and electronic circuitry in systems.
- Cultivate business-minded engineers through exposure to business management modules such as Business Skills for Engineers, Managing Projects for Success and Engineering Economics.
Engineered for the Real World
- Ability to develop and improve solutions catered to consumers’ needs through various engineering design modules.
Ability to apply the CDIOTM Framework to engineering processes and systems, taking into consideration functionality, safety, cost effectiveness and sustainability.
Dynamic Internship Programme for the Chemical Engineering Degree Programme at Taylors’ University
- 12-week industrial training to develop practical and relevant skills for future employment.
Affordable Top Quality Chemical Engineering Course Accredited by Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) at UCSI University
The Chemical Engineering programme focuses on core technical operations in the chemical sector such as material handling, fluid flows, material and energy balances, mass and heat transfers, thermodynamics, chemical reaction designs, separation processes, environmental engineering and petroleum refining processes, to name a few.
Apart from being solidly grounded in technical applications, the students are also furnished with management skills during the course of their study, in line with current demands of the industry.
In this programme, students are also required to undergo industrial training under UCSI University’s Co-operative Placement (Co-op) Programme at the end of their 2nd and 3rd academic years.
The objective of the Co-op programme is to provide an avenue for students to gain exposure to professional practices in an actual working environment in addition to developing the necessary soft skills pertinent to their individual development.
Student learning is also enhanced by industry visits, talks by prominent guest speakers from professional bodies, laboratory works as well as plant design projects, among other hands-on activities.
Top Private University in Malaysia
UCSI University is ranked SETARA Tier 5 (Excellent) Rating 2013 by MQA making it one of the best private universities in Malaysia. Since its founding in 1986, UCSI is home to more than 10,000 students from over 80 countries worldwide.
Students have access to top notch academic and sports facilities at UCSI University. It is also strategically located near banks, restaurants, eateries, housing areas, and the Bandar Tasik Selatan LRT & Train station.
Accreditation of UCSI’s Engineering Programmes
All of UCSI University’s engineering degree programmes comply with the latest requirements for accreditation by the Malaysian Engineering Accreditation Council, which fulfils the international requirements drafted in the Washington Accord.
What do chemical engineers learn at top private universities in Malaysia?
When you are studying chemical engineering you’ll focus on ways to put chemicals to work and improve outcomes. You’ll learn skills in things like:
- Engineering and technology
- Production and processing
- Computers and electronics
- Machines and mechanics
- Materials Science
- Mass Transfer
- Heat Transfer
- Chemical Process
- Plant Safety
- Plant Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics
Chemical Engineers can work in many fields in Malaysia
A chemical engineer could use skills in science and maths to work in many different industries and doing many different things. :
- Bioprocesses – Working in pharmaceuticals and the food and drink industries.
- Chemical processes – Involving the fertiliser industry, including pesticides and herbicides, caustic soda, glass and specialty chemicals.
- Combustion – Large industrial furnaces such as those for steel manufacture or for power generation from coal or gas, or the recovery of valuable energy from waste.
- Environmental – Waste and water treatment, environmental regulations and recycling. Recovering and reusing valuable materials instead of dumping them.
- Minerals – Major minerals industries such as alumina/aluminium, steel, copper, lead and gold.
- Petrochemicals – Converting oil and gas into plastics, synthetic rubber and other things.
- Petroleum – Producing oil, gas and LPG from onshore and offshore fields.
- Process control – Instrumentation and control systems which make a manufacturing process run smoothly, safely and efficiently.
- Project delivery – Converting the design of a process plant into an efficient, safe operating plant
What do chemical engineers work as in Malaysia?
A chemical engineer focuses on the processes involved with transforming raw materials into usable, viable products.
Chemical engineers apply their skills in science, maths, environmental management and economics to make production processes more efficient. Industries that use chemical engineers to create their products require the design process to be safe, sustainable, and as cost effective as possible.They aim to get the best results at the least cost and with the lowest impact on the environment possible. And that’s what it’s all about for a chemical engineer.
As a chemical engineer in Malaysia, you could find yourself working on the following activities:
- Design and development of chemical processes and equipment
- Optimisation and control of industrial operations
- Plant operation and management
- Fundamental and applied research from the molecular level to full industrial scale
- Environmental management, monitoring and pollution control
Chemical engineers in Malaysia may perform the following kinds of tasks:
- Seek new and more efficient processes and materials, or improve or find new uses for existing materials.
- Design methods and equipment to control and contain the processes that transform basic materials into useful products.
- Ensure the safe, efficient and environmentally friendly operation of equipment and test products at various stages of production to check the quality.
- Make plans and specifications for new production plants, taking into account available technology, the cost and size of equipment and storage space, market needs, transport methods and disposal of surplus substances.
- Review current methods of production for cost efficiency, environmental friendliness, maximum output and product quality.
- Identify faults in the day-to-day operation of process plants (such as oil refining, steel making, water treatment) and take corrective action.
- Prepare reports, feasibility studies and cost analyses of processes.
- Provide product process information to sales and marketing personnel or customers.
- Direct and coordinate the work of maintenance and construction tradespeople or process plant operators.
- Find ways to minimise energy use, minimise waste production, including finding ways to turn wastes into valuable materials that can be re-used.
What is the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)?
The Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) registers graduates and professional engineers under the Registration of Engineers Act 1967 (Revised 2002). The requirement for registration as a graduate engineer is a degree in engineering recognised by the Board. Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) is the only body certifying Professional Engineers in Malaysia.
This regulatory body for engineering practices in Malaysia was set-up by the Malaysian government under the Registration of Engineers Act (1967) to administer and to enforce the Engineering Act and its provisions to protect public interest.
Only Graduate Engineers and Professional Engineers registered with the Board of Engineers, Malaysia (BEM) are entitled to practice engineering in Malaysia. All engineering practitioner MUST register with BEM within 6-months of practice.
A professional engineer (Ir or PEng) is a person who is licensed to practice to practice engineering in Malaysia after meeting all requirements of the (e.g. pass PI Examination).
The Education Pathway to be a Professional Engineer in Malaysia after completing a 4-Year Engineering Degree that’s Accredited by the Board of Engineers Malaysia
The recognized academic qualification for registration as a Graduate Engineer with BEM includes the as a Graduate Graduate
Engineer Engineer with the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) includes includes the following:
- An engineering degree accredited/recognized by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) available in an approved list maintained by BEM
- A pass in Part I & part II of the Engineering Council Examination of United Kingdom or Part I & Part II of the IEM/BEM Graduate Examination in any particular branch for qualifications that is not branch for qualifications qualifications that is not accredited/recognized by BEM/IEM.
- An engineer who has just graduated with a recognised qualification must register with the Board of Engineers Malaysia. He/she can then start to obtain the necessary training and experience, normally four years, before he/she can attempt to sit for the Professional Interview, an exam to qualify Graduate Members of IEM to be transferred to Corporate Members. Corporate Members of Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM) can then apply to upgrade their status to P.Eng. with the Board of Engineers Malaysia.
After graduation, an engineer needs to register with Board of Engineers Malaysia to be a graduate engineer. After a few years of practical experience (supervised by a professional engineer), the graduate engineer can apply to sit for Professional Interview (with IEM). If he/she passes the Interview, he/she can apply to Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) to be a Professional Engineer that entitles him/her to use the title Ir.
- Engineers Act 1967 requires every engineer to be registered with the Board of Engineers, Malaysia (BEM).
- Graduates from recognised degree programmes shall be registered as Graduate Engineer to work as an engineer.
- Practical training of more than 3 years is required for application to sit for Professional Interview (PI).
- A PI candidate will be required to show that he can apply theory in engineering projects, and has acquired the skills of investigation, planning, and design.
- Upon passing the PI, the candidate can then apply to BEM for registration as a Professional Engineer.
Why become a professional engineer in Malaysia?
- If you ever want or need to become a consulting, engineer, you must be licensed as an Ir or P.Eng.
- Only a Ir/P.Eng. can sign and seal engineering documents that are engineering documents that are submitted to a public authority or for public and private clients.
- Many companies encourage licensure and some even pay a bonus for becoming a P.Eng.
- In education, more universities are requiring a Ir/P.Eng. license to lecture in the engineering faculty or for holding certain positions.
- In some industries such as utilities, and government positions, a P.Eng. is required for specified jobs or positions.
- With the engineering profession now operating in an international environment, licensing may be required to work in or for other countries. You will be prepared in the event your career moves in this direction (e.g. APEC Engineers, EMF Int. Engineer Register, Washington Accord)
What is the the Washington Accord?
The Washington Accord is a multinational agreement signed in 1989, which recognises the substantial
equivalency of engineering degree programmes accredited by the responsible bodies in each of the signatory countries such as the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM).
Washington Accord is an agreement among the engineering quality assurance organisations of several nations that recognises the substantial equivalency of programs accredited by those organisations.
The agreement paves the way for mutual recognition of accredited programmes, establishing the notion that graduates have met the academic requirements for entry to the practice of engineering in any signatory country.
Signatories have full rights of participation in the Accord; qualifications accredited or recognised by other signatories are recognised by each signatory as being substantially equivalent to accredited or recognised qualifications within its own jurisdiction.
Admission to the Accord is more importantly an endorsement that the engineering education system of the member nation has demonstrated a strong, longterm commitment to quality assurance in producing engineers ready for industry practice in the international scene.
As a Washington Accord signatory, Malaysia’s degrees that have been accredited by Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC)
will be accepted by other Washington Accord signatories.
This means that students who study in universities with engineering degrees that are accredited by MQA and Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) may find work in other countries that have signed the Washington Accord.
Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) uses as a guide the list for Professional/Chartered Engineer by the accreditation organisations of the country where the degree is issued.
Candidates are advised to check with the relevant Engineering Accreditation bodies’ web site for the list recognised degrees of professional chartered level.
However, Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) reserves the right to review the list at any time without notice.
Accredited Professional Engineers in Malaysia can work globally because of the Washington Accord
In 2007, Malaysia became a member of The Washington Accord, which recognises experienced professional engineers
represented by responsible bodies. The Washington Accord is a small group of signatories that have agreed to mutually recognise accredited engineering programmes.
Members of The Washington Accord are Hong Kong, South Africa, Japan, Singapore, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, UK, Ireland, Taipei, Korea, Malaysia and Turkey.
The Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM), The Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM) and Association of Consulting Engineers Malaysia (ACEM) develop and use the EMF Register as a secure benchmark that allows a professional engineer to be recognised or exempted from licensing or registration in other countries (other than that in which they first gained recognition).
Eligibility for admission to EMF International Register of Professional Engineers Register is limited only to engineers who have completed an accredited or recognised engineering programme, registered with the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) and is a corporate member of the IEM who is capable of independent practice.
To qualify for admission to EMF International Register of Professional Engineers Register, a candidate must be:
- A Professional Engineer registered with the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) and/or a Corporate Member with the Institution of Engineers Malaysia;
- Seven years experience after graduation in a recognised engineering discipline;
- Two years experience in responsible charge of significant work (may be obtained within the seven years experience)
- Maintained their continuing professional development at a satisfactory level.
EduSpiral Consultant Services- Your Personal Online Education Advisor
EduSpiral Consultant Services represents the best colleges and universities in Malaysia offering a wide range of choices for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get.
These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable. EduSpiral provides in-depth information and counseling on their courses so that students are able to make the right choice.
If you are still not sure what to study, please contact us and we will send you a free EduSpiral Career Assessment Form.
Please contact us for more details.
- WhatsApp: +601111408838
- Wechat/Line: EduSpiral88
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/eduspiral
- Foursquare: www.foursquare.com/eduspiral
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/eduspiral
- Follow EduSpiral: www.twitter.com/eduspiral88
- Be my friend: www.facebook.com/eduspiralsik
- Like EduSpiral: www.facebook.com/eduspiralcs
- Message me: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.eduspiral.com
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.