Study at the Best University College in Malaysia for Diploma in Interior Design Course at First City University College
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
There are several top colleges in Malaysia offering the Diploma in Interior Design. But choosing the right one for you can be a difficult decision. If you read this guide from start to finish, you will get the necessary information to help you choose the best university or college in Malaysia that is affordable and reliable. Interior design is a profession that combines creativity, technical knowledge, and business skills.
First City University College is acknowledged to be the best for the diploma in interior design course in Malaysia having won many prestigious awards in interior design and interior architecture. Upon completion of the diploma in interior design, students can continue on to Year 2 of the Top Ranked UK Dual Award Interior Architecture or Furniture & Product Design degree, also offered at First City University College.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Outstanding Diploma in Interior Design at First City University CollegeI met EduSpiral a few years ago after completing my Diploma at LKW. I wanted to continue my degree at a better university & EduSpiral showed the number of awards won by First City UC for interior design which convinced me.
Jun Hao at his graduation showcase, Interior Design at First City University College
First City University College’s Diploma in Interior Design emphasizes on design process that incorporates a variety of disciplines ranging from psychology, sociology, history, management to business practices.
The programme provides better understanding of a building’s structure and its mechanics while creating exposure to the use of various computer applications and software. It also develops problem –solving and transferable skills in the design professions. Intakes for the Diploma are in January, April and May of each year and the duration is 2 1/3 Years.
The Diploma in Interior Design programme emphasises on the marriage between conceptual thinking and practical design skills. This programme provides students with a better understanding of a building’s structure and its mechanics. It provides opportunities to use various computer applications and software in design work. It also helps students in developing their problem-solving and other transferable skills.
Incorporating a variety of disciplines ranging from psychology, sociology, history, management and business practices, First City University College’s Diploma in Interior Design programme create students that are industry relevant and future game-changers.
On successful completion of the programme, graduates will be expected to be able to:
- Apply theoretical knowledge and practical skills for interior design practices
- Communicate design concepts effectively by using visual and verbal skills
- Execute and produce creative design solutions that reflect appropriate application of interior elements, materials, details and finishes for a specific purpose
- Work in a team and demonstrate multi-tasking skills
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of interior design elements such as building studies, material application and furniture design
- Have obtained knowledge of project management, contract documentation, financial implications, ethical responsibilities, environmental and ergonomics issues that relate to interior design
Year 1 Subjects for the Diploma in Interior Design
- Interior Design 1
- Architectural Graphics 1
- Design History 1
- English for Academic Writing
- Elective Subjects (select one)
- Creative Studies
- Life Drawing
- Interior Design 2
- Architectural Graphics 2
- Design History 2
- Computer Aided Design: 2D
- Elective Subjects (select one)
- English for Academic Purpose
- Colour Studies
- Building Material Studies
- Elective Subjects (select one)
- Photography & Digital Imaging
- Temporary Structure Design
- Introduction to Visual Culture
Year 2 Subjects for the Diploma in Interior Design
- Interior Design 3
- Building Studies 1
- Furniture Design 1
- Design Communication
- Computer Aided Design: 3D
- Interior Design 4
- Building Studies 2
- Furniture Design 2
- Professional Practice
- Elective Subjects (select one)
- Industry Placement
- Industry Placement – Simulation
Year 3 Subjects for the Diploma in Interior Design
- Interior Design 5
- Design Thesis Report
- Project Management
- Tender and Contract Documentation
Entry Requirements to Join the Design Courses at First City University College
Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits in the relevant subjects may enter the Foundation in Design course before continuing on to Year 1 of any of the Design degree programmes.
Alternatively, students may enter the Diploma in Graphic Design and then enter into Year 2 of the Graphic Design degree programme.
Students with the necessary 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels can apply for the PTPN Loan for their Diploma. There is also noPTPN loan for Foundation studies. PTPN Loan is also available for the degree course.
First City University College offers value for money and the Diploma is probably the most affordable and the students have access to excellent facilities. In addition, you will be getting a UK degree at an affordable price.
Career Opportunities for Diploma in Interior Design Graduates in Malaysia
- Interior Design Companies
- Architectural Firms
- Theatre and Stage Design Studios
- Production Design Companies
- Furniture Design Companies
- Lighting Design Houses
First City University College is a Top Award-Winning Design University College in Malaysia
- 24th Malaysian International Furniture Fair (MIFF) Furniture Design Competition 2018 – Champion
- Asia Young Designer Award 2017 – Best Green Innovation And Honorary Mention
- Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID) Reka Awards 2017
- MIJF Jewellery Design Awards 2017 Ring Catergory – Top 5 Finalist
- 16th International CONVR 2016 Best PhD Student Paper Award Dr. Siti Norzaini Bt Zainal Abidin
- ASPaC 2017 Merit Award – Charmaine Wong and Sharon Chai of BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- ASIA PACIFIC INTERIOR DESIGNER AWARD 2016 Silver Winner
- IAI DESIGN AWARD Design Star Award 2015
- National Outstanding Educator Award 2015 (Design Education – College Level) Ms Chua Huwi Huwi
- Nippon Paint Young Designer Awards 2014:
- Gold Winner for Interior Design is Lim Yong An
- Lim Yong An also won the “Best Green Innovation Award”.
- Ernest Loh Yin-Sen won Silver
- Soo Mei Lian won “Best Colour Choice”
- Yii Sii Lin won an Honorary Mention
- Best College for Interior Design also went to KBU International College
- Best Lecturer for Interior Design went to KBU’s Chua Huwi Huwi.
- RSA Genovasi Malaysian Awards 2014
- Social Entrepreneurship Category Winners – Mandy Choong Mun Yee, Lee Man Kit, Kim Eunkyung, Goh Pei Hua and Yong Lee Chee
- Digital Age Category Winner – Daniel Chua Yong Ho
- MIFF 2014 Awards– MIFF 2014 Young Designers Category
- Father’s Day – VIVA Drawing Competition 2014
- Conqueror Happy Design Contest 2013/14
- MIJF Jewellery Design Competition 2014 Award
- Lee Hui Ying, clinched second prize for the MIFF Furniture Design Competition 2014
- Nippon Paint Young Designer 2012 competition, KBU staff and students made a sweep of the awards with:
- Regional Winner – Lim Meng Yeu – Platinum/Malaysia beating Gold winners from Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore & China
- Gold/Malaysia – Lim Meng Yeu
- Silver/Malaysia – Chu Sze Yong
- Honorary Mention/Malaysia – Ee Wil Ken and Lee Xuan Xuan
- Best College/University – KBU International College
- Best Lecturer – Chua Huwi Huwi
- Wil Ken bagging a notable award, 2012 Emerging Designer of the Year – Student category of the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers’ (MIID) Malaysian Interior Design Awards (MIDA) 2012
- Lim Meng Yeu, 23, a graduate from KBU International College emerged as the Gold winner of the Student category of MIID’s MIDA Awards 2012
- Lee Jian Ru received the Silver Prize winner of the Student category of 2013 MIID’s MIDA Awards and Foh Vui Siang won the Best Green Innovation Award and also received Honorary Mention
- Philips Lightover Challenge 2013 Winners – Julius Lok Juin Chern and Chiang Siew Leng
- Gan Su Yi and Cheok Yi Chi won 2nd and 3rd prize respectively in the 2013 Bristol Student Design Competition organised by the leading and highly regarded furniture manufacturers in providing office furniture and seating- in collaboration with Majlis Rekabentuk Malaysia (MRM)
- Third place in the 2012 Veloster Rev it Up Inter-College Challenge by Hyundai
- Thirteen of KBU’s graduands have bagged the First Class Honours degree awards in the field of Graphic Design, Interior Architecture and Design and Software Engineering, in which the degree programmes are conducted in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK. Chu Sze Yong (Interior Architecture & Design) graduate was presented the Student of the Year Award.
- Lee Jin Yin and Lydia Low, Year 2 Graphic Design students, collaborated with IM Magazine to produce their magazine cover for the July 2012 issue.
- Katherine Goh, Year 2 Graphic Design student, won the Consolation Prize under the New Media Category for the Peri-fy Your Art Competition 2012
- Bernadette Quah Paik Choo was named the winner of the Ideation Award 2011 by Malaysia International Furniture Fair (MIFF)
- Phum Boon Eng from KBU International College beat 91 other participants to win the MIECO Designer’s Choice Awards (MDCA) 2009 Student’s Category. The MDCA 2009, was jointly organized by MIECO Sdn Bhd and MIFF Sdn Bhd in conjunction with the Malaysian International Furniture Fair 2009 (MIFF 2009)