Study Bachelor of Science (Hons) Actuarial Studies Degree Course at the Best University in Malaysia
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
Actuarial science is the discipline that applies mathematical and statistical methods to assess risk in the insurance and finance
industries. It includes a number of interrelating subjects, including probability, mathematics, statistics, finance, economics, and computer programming. Historically, actuarial science used deterministic models in the construction of tables and premiums.
Actuarial Science is gaining popularity in Malaysia for students who are good in Maths to pursue. This pathway leads to an excellent career with high salary should one complete all the professional papers to become a professional actuaries in Malaysia.
Actuaries build and use mathematical models based on statistical data to calculate the appropriate amount of premiums to charge policyholders. This will require projections of how events will unfold in the future. In calculating the right amount of premiums, the actuary will need to project how large potential claims will be and when they will occur.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.
Such projections are incorporated into the models to calculate the premium required. At the same time, judgement, business acumen and experience are required to understand and logically interpret the results of the model before finally coming up with a solution to the problem. Actuarial science is a combination of science and art!
Calculation of premiums is only one of the many contributions of actuaries to insurance companies. In addition to pricing decisions, actuaries are involved in designing insurance products, formulating investment strategies, determining reserves to be set up to meet future claims and recommending distribution of profits to shareholders after taking into account the insurance company’s future obligation to policyholders.
Actuaries also estimate the amount of future claims by analysing past data or experience to assign probabilities to events such
as death, sickness, disability, loss of property or even loss of business profits. Actuaries provide solutions to today’s insurance and financial problems that properly take into account the financial impact of future events. With the actuaries’ expert knowledge in financial matters, they are often key advisors to the Board of Directors.
There are only a few universities in Malaysia offering the degree in Actuarial Science. It is important for students not only to obtain the best actuarial science education but to get the necessary communication skills in English to succeed. As you will work in multinational companies, banks, financial institutions, insurance, etc., you will need to have a strong command of the English language to succeed in your job.
One university that students can consider is Asia Pacific University, famous for IT courses and excellent for accounting and business as well. With an international environment and exposure to students from over 90 countries, students can improve their communication skills and build a global network.
Students need to choose the best university or college in Malaysia to study Actuarial Science so that they can gain the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in the competitive world of actuaries. Graduates from Asia Pacific University will receive a dual award, one from APU and the other from Staffordshire University, UK
Am I suited to Study Actuarial Science?
Not all people are suited to study actuarial science as it is a very challenging course and requires a long time to become a professional actuaries. Students after SPM or UEC with As in Maths and Add Maths can consider a career in actuary.
Actuarial Science is a very comprehensive course in the way that it covers Mathematics, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Business Models, Computer Programming and Risk Management. As such, a high aptitude in Mathematics is highly required.
Degree students will also learn Calculus, Statistics, Probability, and Financial Mathematics. With this fundamental Mathematical knowledge graduates will be able to solve complex actuarial problems.
Being an actuary also requires you to master several computer programming languages such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Visual Basic, Microsoft Visual FoxPro, and most importantly, Prophet – an actuarial software designed to crunch a large database. If you do not enjoy learning programming languages or writing codes, actuarial science would not be the career for you.
Actuaries are professionals who like to solve complex problems. There are many factors impacting an actuarial solution that even one assumption is inaccurate, it would affect the whole solution and result.
Consequently, actuaries employ the actuarial control cycle – a problem-solving approach that applies equally well to the most broad and the focused actuarial problems. It is a model of actuarial practice in a wide range of fields and provides common
grounding for all candidates.
Through the control cycle, all actuarial work is categorized into three main functions:
- Define the problem
- Design the solution
- Monitor the results
Because of their ability to analyse and solve complex problems, actuaries command a very high salary. In fact, it is one of the highest paid professions.
The Best UK Dual Award Bachelor of Science (Hons) Actuarial Science degree course at Asia Pacific University (APU)
After Foundation, students will enter the Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Actuarial Studies at APU. Uniquely at APU, graduates will receive dual degrees, one from APU and the other from Staffordshire University, UK.
Since its inception in the early 1900s, Staffordshire University has evolved into one of the country’s most dynamic, progressive and forward-thinking learning institutions.
A modern, fast-paced, vocationally-led University with 100 year’s experience of pioneering higher education within the creative, technological and scientific industries. Students can opt to transfer to Staffordshire University for the final 2 years or final year of studies for a UK experience.
The actuarial science degree programme at Asia Pacific University (APU) is specifically designed to provide:
- The necessary knowledge and skills to provide advice to institutions like insurance or reinsurance companies, pensions funds and financial and investment institutions. The skills acquired by actuaries are not confined to the financial sector but are also transferable to any organisation that has to deal with risk and make financial sense of the future.
- Opportunities to adapt to Insurance-related industries by providing them with assignments to mimic the actual decision making process and broad-based information pertaining to the industries.
- Opportunities to develop their skills to solve a problem and model a solution using specialized statistical and actuarial methods.
What do Actuaries work as in Malaysia?
The main roles of actuaries in insurance companies are to calculate the premium for the insurance products, and determine whether the insurance company is financially solvent. In contrast, the roles of actuaries in the finance industry are in the field of risk management and assets liabilities management. They help in assessing all possible risks and manage them before the problems surface.
Actuaries are often required to work overtime in some aggressive companies, especially when they are to meet deadlines. As such, life of an actuary can be thrilling or stressful, depending on how you perceive it.
There are two main areas in the Actuarial Department of an insurance company, which are the:
- Pricing Team
- Valuation Team
However, there has been an emerging Assets and Liabilities Management Team in some insurance companies recently. But we
will only focus on the Pricing and Valuation Teams for this moment.
The Pricing team’s tasks are more challenging and exciting because the demand of an insurance product can change because of the forces of the market. So the pricing projects are always different and novel. The pricing actuaries price the products and negotiate with the marketing department to see if the price is acceptable by the market.
To give you a better idea, the price of the product is the insurance premium that your parents pay. The pricing actuarial executives and marketing executives then go along to modify the assumptions made (e.g. assumption on mortality rate) to adjust the price until the both parties are satisfied with the price proposed.
The process can be a little bit long, but if you are the kind of person who likes to take on new challenges each day, we are sure you will have fun in it!
On the other hand, the Valuation Team’s tasks are more tedious because they are doing the monitoring work. They monitor the results of the insurance products which are already in the market to evaluate their performances and justify the assumptions made. If they notice any poor performance products, they will look into the assumptions and devise better ones.
This monitoring process is continual because actuarial solutions are shaped by the ongoing external forces of the market, such as government policies, foreign trade policies, the business environment and the global economy. In addition, the Valuation Team needs to prepare a monthly report to the government regulator.
In a nutshell, actuaries are problem solvers, in tune with what is happening in business through their interpretation of statistical data and knowledge of social and economic systems. They combine good business sense with safeguarding the public’s financial interests, upholding the highest professional standards.
Actuaries play an important role in the Malaysian society. The unique skills of actuaries are behind many high-level strategic decisions made by large companies and governments, and can have a positive impact on legislation, businesses and individuals.
Actuaries are excellent risk managers. They work in the specialist areas of insurance, pensions, benefits, healthcare, investments and banking, or for any large organization where risk management plays an important role, or for a consultancy advising on all sorts of different projects.
Therefore, actuaries play very important roles in the insurance and finance industries in Malaysia. They include life insurance companies, general insurance companies, and reinsurance companies.
- A life insurance company is an insurance company that sells life and annuity insurance products that pay a designatedbeneficiary a sum of money upon the occurrence of the insured individual’s or individuals’ death or other event, such as terminal illness or critical illness.
- A general insurance company is an insurance company that sells general insurance or non-life insurance policies, including automobile and homeowners’ policies. The policies provide payments depending on the loss from a particular financial event. General insurance typically comprises any insurance that is not determined to be life insurance.
- A reinsurance company is a company that insures insurance companies’ insurance policies to minimize the insurers’ risk by transferring it to the reinsurer.
What you will study in the Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Actuarial Studies at Asia Pacific University (APU)
APU’s Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Actuarial Studies is a 3 years degree programme of full-time study. This programme is designed not only to provide students with knowledge and skills to enter the actuarial profession but also prepare them for the professional examinations that will lead them to a qualified actuary.
During their undergraduate studies, students can attempt the examinations conducted by professional bodies such as Society of Actuaries (SOA) or Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) and upon graduation, they can embark on careers as an actuarial assistant.
In APU, students will also receive credits for all the 3 Validated by Educational Experience (VEE) papers from SOA as long as they receive a minimum mark of 70% in the APU equivalent papers.
While working, they continue to sit and pass the remaining professional exams, eventually becoming qualified actuaries in their chosen specialisation in various areas such as Corporate Finance and Enterprise Risk management, Individual Life and Annuities, Group and health Insurance, Retirement Benefits, Quantitative Finance and Investment, and General Insurance.
Our graduates will also acquire the essential leadership qualities, work in teams, communication skills, problem solving abilities, critical thinking, as well as entrepreneurial and managerial skills that will enable them to face the challenging and exciting world today.
Actuaries usually work primarily for the insurance industry. They are also highly sought after by other sectors such as private corporations, banks, financial institutions and investment firms, brokerages and even government department such as Bank Negara also requires actuaries in risk management and financial consulting services.
Year 1 Subjects for the BSc (Hons) in Actuarial Studies at Asia Pacific University
The first year programme comprises modules from the areas of finance, economics and mathematics. The objective of the first year is to equip students with the basic tools of mathematical, financial, accounting and economic analysis which will be required for the modules to follow at Level 2
Statistical Investigation module forms the basis for later statistics options. Linear Algebra, Calculus, Discrete Mathematics, Probability Models and Statistical Inference are introductory level courses designed to prepare students for using mathematics & statistics in other contexts.
Economics will provide students with a better understanding of the Business Environment. Financial Accounting skills and the core principles underlying financial theory will be introduced in this level which will be enhanced in the higher level.
Business & Communication Skills will further equip students with the communication skills required to cope with academic demands of degree level study in all disciplines.
- Business and Communication Skills
- Business Economics
- Discrete Mathematics
- Financial Accounting
- Introduction to Visual Programming
- Linear Algebra
- Probability Models
- Statistical Inference
- Statistical Investigation
- Three (3) MQA modules applicable only to Malaysian students
- Bahasa Melayu (Malay Language)
- Pengajian Malaysia (Malaysian Studies)
- Pendidikan Moral (Moral Studies); or Pendidikan Islam (Islamic Studies)
Year 2 Subjects for the BSc (Hons) in Actuarial Studies at Asia Pacific University
This level looks at applications of mathematics and statistics in the Financial & insurance sectors.
The modules offered will cover techniques for the analysis of results from experiments and surveys where students will be doing modules like Regression Analysis, Time Series & Forecasting, Life Contingencies as well as Linear Programming.
Modules such as Financial Mathematics, Financial Planning & Control, Financial Statement Analysis and Financial management will allow students to explore finance in greater depths, both at the planning and management aspect.
The Financial Economics module will introduce students to the necessary skills to
construct asset liability models and to value financial derivatives whereas Life Contingencies module will provide students with a grounding in the mathematical techniques which can be used to model and value cashflows dependent on death, survival, or other uncertain risks.
Ethics & Corporate Governance will also be taught in this level to provide students with relevant knowledge, skills and professional judgment in which companies are directed and controlled. Students may opt to undergo an optional period of practical training of about 3 months after the second level of study, which would enable students to experience the culture and ethos of a working environment and formal employment.
Students will benefit from seeing how the skills and knowledge acquired are applied in a practical setting.
- Calculus II
- Ethics and Corporate Governance
- Financial Economics
- Financial Management
- Financial Mathematics
- Financial Planning and Control
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Life Contingencies
- Linear Programming
- Regression Analysis
- Research Methods
- Time Series and Forecasting
Year 3 Subjects for the BSc (Hons) in Actuarial Studies at Asia Pacific University
Corporate Finance, Risk Theory, Financial Derivatives, Macroeconomics Policy & Financial Markets, and Portfolio Management modules will further enhance the knowledge of an individual to plan, manage, and analyze the financial and monetary aspects and performance of business enterprises, banking institutions or other organisations.
Insurance Practice and Survival Analysis modules introduce students to a wide range of concepts and terminologies in insurance providing students with basic skills of calculating various insurance related items. Introduction to Stochastic Process will introduce students to a range of stochastic process which are used as modeling tools in diverse fields of applications.
Students will also carry out an individually researched project and their own investigations into areas related to investment, finance, commerce or insurance.
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Derivatives
- Insurance Practice
- Introduction to Stochastic Process
- Investigation in Actuarial Studies
- Macroeconomics Policy and Financial Markets
- Pension Planning
- Portfolio Management
- Project in Actuarial Studies
- Risk Theory
- Survival Analysis
The UK Dual Degree Programmes at Asia Pacific University
The Dual Degree Programmes are offered through a unique collaborative partnership between APU and Staffordshire University, United Kingdom, through which Staffordshire accredits undergraduate programmesthat are designed and delivered by APU. On completion of the programme, students will be awarded two undergraduate degree Certificates and Transcripts: one from APU and one from Staffordshire.
The APU-Staffordshire Dual Degree Programmes are offered under an approved collaboration in accordance with the Code of Practice for the Assurance of Academic Quality and Standards in Higher Education as published by the United Kingdom Quality Assurance Agency’s (QAA).
APU’s academicprogrammes are all approved by the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia and the qualifications are accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
The Computer Science degree programme at Asia Pacific University is specifically designed to provide:
- Technical knowledge, skills and background in the design and organization of computer systems.
- The ability to critically evaluate design paradigms, languages, algorithms, and techniques used to develop complex software systems.
- The ability to evaluate and respond to opportunities for developing and exploiting new technologies.
Why Staffordshire University
Staffordshire University is truly committed to building a worldwide dynamic learning community. The University’s learning
community is global and students represent over 75 nations worldwide.
Since 1914, Staffordshire University has offered vocationally inspired education relevant for the age. Back then their focus was on mining and ceramics. Now the university is delivering everything from Computer Games Design to Forensic Science.
As well as being involved in many international collaborative research projects, Staffordshire University is committed to delivering high quality education through its many international partnerships.
Staffordshire University has over 17,000 students that make up a dynamic and vibrant community at their campuses in the United Kingdom.
Staffordshire University has a long and proud history of providing high quality, progressive and inclusive higher education for people from across Staffordshire, the region, the UK and the rest of the world.
Staffordshire University has a reputation for producing graduates with the knowledge, skills and ability to make their mark in the world.
Some facts about Staffordshire University are:
Staffordshire University’s strong focus on employability was underlined in the UK Sunday Times newspaper’s 2010 University
League Tables, in which it was recognized as a leading UK university for achieving graduate employment.
One of the first universities in the world to offer computing degrees back in the 1960s, Staffordshire maintains a strong reputation for excellence and innovation in teaching technology based subjects.
The University’s Computing, Computer Games Design, Network Security, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic and Automotive Engineering awards are all highly respected by employers globally.
Staffordshire’s Accounting and Finance, Business Studies, Economics, Management and Marketing degrees have all been designed to provide a truly international perspective. This is a real benefit for students wishing to pursue a career in Business or Commerce.
The University’s learning community is truly global. At any one time, in excess of 17,000 students from over 75 countries are studying in Great Britain, by distance learning, or on Staffordshire University quality-accredited courses internationally.
APU Programmes are subjected to extensively External Quality Assurance processes by Staffordshire University, who also
award the Undergraduate Degrees. This ensures that our programmes are benchmarked against international standards.
In addition, APU’s solid relationship with Staffordshire University is among the strongest and most successful foreign collaborations in Malaysia, and is particularly notable in their strong shared mission of producing highly employable graduates.
Staffordshire University Rankings
Guardian University Guide 2016
- Staffordshire University is ranked 83 Overall by the Guardian’s University Guide 2016
- Staffordshire University is ranked 69th by the Guardian University Guide 2016: league table for computer science and information systems
- Staffordshire University is ranked 47 by the Guardian University Guide 2016: league table for accounting & finance
Complete University Guide University 2016
- Staffordshire University’s Ranking in the Complete University Guide University Subject Tables 2016 for accounting & finance is 79
- Staffordshire University’s Ranking in the Complete University Guide University Subject Tables 2016 for computer science is 83
- Staffordshire University UK is ranked 39th by the Guardian’s University Guide 2016: league table for film production & photography
- Staffordshire University’s Ranking in the Complete University Guide University Subject Tables 2016 for Art & Design is 62
An Excellent Future with Staffordshire University UK
- The 2014 National Student Survey (NSS) show computing awards at Staffordshire University exceeding the national sector average for the computer subject area.
- The 2014 National results from the Destination of Leavers in Higher Education also show Staffordshire University computing awards exceeding the national average for computing graduate employability/further study, six months after graduation.
- Staffordshire has forged partnerships with industry-leading companies such as Sony, Cisco, Microsoft, Vodafone, Jaguar Land Rover and Epic Games in support of teaching and learning as well as in preparing students for their careers.
- The collaboration between Staffordshire University and US based Epic Games led to the launch of the University’s Epic Games Centre, which offers students the opportunity to put theory into practice and develop a deeper understanding of the commercial complexities of the gaming development process.
- Staffordshire University graduates have been well accepted by industry. Many graduates have gone on to work with internationally recognised organisations such as the BBC, Microsoft, Bentley Motors and NASA. Others have gone on to form their own successful businesses whilst some graduates have worked on Oscar winning films, written books and even won an Olympic gold medal.
About Asia Pacific University (APU)
The Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation (APU) is acknowledged to be one of Malaysia’s premier University of higher learning for technology.
Since its inception in 1993 as the Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology (APIIT), the University has produced more than 16,000 highly skilled technology professionals in Malaysia and the Asia Pacific region, and has earned a reputation for excellence in education and research and development.
APIIT & APU had continuously wins awards for excellence in education, research and development and for the achievements of their students.
With an international student community of more than 10,000 students from more than 105 countries studying in its Malaysian campus, APU offers a truly cosmopolitan learning environment which prepares students well for the global challenges which lie ahead.
APU offers a wide range of degrees with Technology as a common core. It is APU’s aim to nurture and encourage innovation through our programmes, with the intention of producing individuals who will learn, adapt and think differently in new and better ways.
An impressive 95% of APU’s graduates obtain jobs before graduation. Students interested to register at APU may go to this link.Scholarships are available to deserving students. Affordable hostel accommodation is provided for outstation students.
Asia Pacific University is An Award-Winning University
The Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation (APU) stands tall among Malaysia’s premier Institutions of Higher
Learning – this is a University where a unique fusion of technology, innovation and creativity works effectively towards preparing graduates for significant roles in business and society globally.
In 2004, APU’s associate institution, APIIT, was the only Malaysian education institution to have won multiple awards in both National and International Asia Pacific ICT Awards. It was also the only Malaysian finalist in the Asian Innovation Awards and the winner of the Malaysian IT Product of the Year.
Originally established as the Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology (APIIT) in 1993, APU has more than 9000 students from 90 countries studying in its Malaysian campus.
This gives you an opportunity to build an international network while studying as well as gain invaluable cultural insights and communication skills. More than 95% of APU graduates are employed by graduation.
As a testimony of thatAsia Pacific University (APU) is the best university for computing, computer science and ICT in Malaysia, they and their students have won the following awards:
UTP – HAX National Hacking Competition 2014
- 2014 – 1st Runner Up
- 2014 – 4th Place
Big App Challenge 1.0
- 2014 – 1st Runner Up
International Invention, Innovation & Technology Exhibition (ITEX)
- 2014 – 1 Gold Award for the Invention, Innovation and Technology category
- 2014 – 1 Bronze Award for the Invention, Innovation and Technology category
- 2013 – 2 Silver Medals for the Invention, Innovation and Technology category
- 2013 – 2 Gold medals for the innovator category
Makeweekend Robotics Challenge 2013
- 2013 – Winner of Water Drone Competition
- 2013 – Winner of Awesomeness Challenge
Asia Pacific ICT Awards (APICTA) Malaysia (Multimedia Development Corporation)
- 2013 – Top Award for ‘Best of Tertiary Student Project’
- 2012 – Top Award for ‘Best of Tertiary Student Project’
- 2011 – Winner of ‘Special Jury Award’ by the Prime Minister
- 2011 – Top Award for ‘Best of Tertiary Student Project’
- 2011 – 2 Merit Awards for ‘Best of Tertiary Student Project’
- 2010 – Top Award for ‘Best of Tertiary Student Project’
- 2008 – Top Award for ‘Best of e-Inclusion & e-Community’
- 2005 – Top Award for ‘Best of Applications & Infrastructure Tools’
- 2004 – Top Award for ‘Best of Education & Training’
- 2004 – Top Award for ‘Best of Applications & Infrastructure Tools’
- 2004 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Research & Development’
- 2003 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Research & Development’
- 2002 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Smart Learning Applications’
- 2001 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Smart Learning Applications’
- 2000 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Smart Learning Applications’
- 2000 – Top Award for ‘Best of Student Projects’
- 1999 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Student Projects’
International Asia Pacific ICT Awards (APICTA)
- 2012 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Tertiary Student Project’
- 2011 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Tertiary Student Project’
- 2010 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Tertiary Student Project’
- 2004 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Education & Training’
- 2004 – Merit Award for ‘Best of Applications & Infrastructure Tools’
NAPEI Awards (National Association of Private Education Institutions, Malaysia)
- 2011 – Award for Educational Excellence
- 2007 – Award for Educational Excellence
- 2004 – Award for Educational Excellence
Microsoft Imagine Cup (Microsoft Inc.)
- 2012 – Winner of Microsoft Imagine Cup (Malaysia)
- 2012 – Top Award for ‘MDeC Special Innovation’
- 2011 – Winner of Microsoft Imagine Cup (Malaysia)
- 2011 – 1st Runner-up of Microsoft Imagine Cup (Malaysia)
- 2011 – 2nd Runner-up of Microsoft Imagine Cup (Malaysia)
- 2011 – Top Award for ‘MDeC Special Innovation’
- 2011 – Top Award for ‘Presentation Superstars’
- 2010 – Winner of Microsoft Imagine Cup (Malaysia)
- 2010 – Top 6 finalists at World Championship in Poland
- 2010 – Top Award for ‘Best Presentation Team’
- 2010 – Top Award for ‘Best Implementation of Multipoint’
- 2004 – 3rd Prize Award for ‘System Government Elections Software’
Malaysia Cybersecurity Awards (Cybersecurity Malaysia)
- 2013 – Award for ‘Information Security Training Provider of the Year’
- 2012 – Award for ‘Information Security Training Provider of the Year’
- 2009 – Award for ‘Information Security Training Provider of the Year’
Industry Excellence Awards by Ministry of International Trade & Industry
- 2011 – Winner of Prime Minister’s Industry Excellence Award
- 2011 – Winner of ‘Special Jury Award’ by the Prime Minister
Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia Awards
- 2008 – Top Award for ‘Best Website Design’
Ministry of Education Excellence Awards (Ministry of Education, Malaysia)
- 2003 – Award of Excellence in Research & Development
- 2003 – Award of Excellence for Development of Overseas Centers
Prime Minister’s Golden Hands Award (Ministry of Works, Malaysia)
- 2004 – Top Award in Network and PC Maintenance category
PIKOM – Computimes ICT Awards (Association of Computer Industry in Malaysia)
- 2005 – Product of the Year Award for ‘URL Checker’
- 2004 – Product of the Year Award for ‘Screenshield Suite’
DEBATE COMPETITION 2011 (Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia)
- 2011 – Champion of HEP- IPTS Debate Competition 2011
Deloitte Inter-University Tax Competition 2011
- 2011 – Merit Award
Game Design Challenge 2011 (GameCareerGuide.com)
- 2011 – Best Entry ‘Game Design Challenge: One Button Challenge’
- 2011 – Best Entry ‘Game Design Challenge: Think Of the Children’
BOSCH Power Tools Asia Cordless Race 2011
- 2011 – Consolation Prize
ITEX 2009 Awards – Won by APU Graduates (International Invention, Innovation & Technology Exhibition)
- 2009 – Gold Award for ‘Best Invention – SmartSurface’
- 2009 – Special Award for Corporate Invention
Stanford University’s Global Innovation Tournament 2009
- 2009 – Winner for Global Innovation Tournament Global Challenge
1Malaysia Innovation Tournament (1MIT) 2010
- 2010 – Winner for ‘Best Animated Award’
- 2010 – Winner for ‘Most Scariest Video Award’
Hack In The Box (HITB) International Competition 2010
- 2010 – 2nd Prize for ‘Weapon of Mass Destruction’
Malaysia Frost & Sullivan Technology Innovation Award 2010 (Won by APU Graduates)
- 2010 – Award for ‘Emerging Human Computer Interface Technologies’
World University Debates Championship 2010
- 2010 – Runner-up in the Grand Final
MSC Malaysia Creative Industry Awards 2009 (Games Category – Student)
- 2009 – Award for ‘Best Game Design’
- 2009 – Award for ‘Best Technical’
Asian Innovation Awards (Far Eastern Economic Review, Singapore)
2004 – Only Malaysian Finalist
- 2006 – First Prize for DKSH-CSSC Media Challenge 2006
Enterprise 50 Award (Accenture & SMI Development Corp)
1998, 1999, 2000 – 3rd position in 2000 among top 50 Malaysian organisations
e-Genting Programming Competition (R&D Division, e-Genting)
- 2006 – First Prize for ‘Software Program Design and Development’
- 2004 – First Prize for ‘Software Program Design and Development’
- 2003 – First Prize for ‘Software Program Design and Development’
- 2002 – Merit Award for ‘Software Program Design and Development’
HSBC Young IT Entrepreneur Awards (Hong Kong Bank)
- 2004 – Gold Award for ‘Universal Wireless Charging’ solution
- 2004 – Judges Award for ‘Security Transmitter & Detector’ device
- 2002 – Silver Award for ‘Business Edutainment Access Medium’
MSC-IHL Business Plan Competition (Institutions of Higher Learning Business Plan Competition by Multimedia Development Corporation)
2012 – Merit prize for Business Idea Category
- 2005 – Grand prize for Business Idea Category
- 2005 – Merit prize for Business Plan Category
Asia Student .NET Awards (Microsoft Inc.)
- 2003 – 3rd Prize Award for ‘Automobile Manufacture Service’ software application
- 2003 – 5th Prize Award for ‘i-Mall’ software application
Forum Nokia Mobile Challenge Java Competition (Nokia Inc.)
- 2002 – Top 3 winners worldwide for a Java-based e-mail client application for Nokia devices using J2ME (Java 2 Micro Edition)
Dare to be Digital Programming Competition (British Council / University of Abertay, Dundee)
- 2003 – 1st Prize Award for a Multiplayer Online Game
- 2003 – 3rd Prize Award for a Role Playing Strategy Game
Business Excellence Award 2006 (Malaysia Canada Business Council)
- 2006 – Bronze award for Industry Excellence for Education
Asia Pacific University is a top University in Malaysia
Asia Pacific University’s achievements in winning a host of prestigious awards at national and regional levels over the years bear testimony
to their commitment to excellence in higher education and training, as well as innovative research and development and comercialisation.
- UCTI has now been upgraded to university status hence the name change to Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation (APU)
- UCTI (through APIIT) is Malaysia’s first Institution to achieve Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) Company Status
- The only Institution to have won the prestigious MSC Asia Pacific ICT Awards every year since the inception of the awards in 1999.
- UCTI’s academic programmes are all approved by the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia and the qualifications are accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
- Asia Pacific University College of Technology and Innovation (UCTI) was established when Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology (APIIT) was officially awarded University College status by the Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, in 2004.
The new University College is now called UCTI for short. Recently in July 2012, they have received university status and therefore is now known as the Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation (APU)
Research & Development Achievements for Asia Pacific University (APU)
• Winner of “ICT Product of the Year 2005” at PIKOM Computimes ICT Awards 2005
• Winner of “Best of Application and Infrastructure Tools” at MSC-APICTA Awards 2005
The Screenshield Suite
- Winner of “Best of Application and Infrastructure Tools” at MSC-APICTA Awards 2008
- Winner of “ICT Product of the Year 2004” at PIKOM Computimes ICT Awards 2004
- Merit Award Winner of “Best of Application and Infrastructure Tools” at APICTA Awards 2004, Hong Kong
- Winner of “Best of Application and Infrastructure Tools” at MSC-APICTA Awards 2004
- Finalist at Far East Economic Review Asian Innovation Awards 2004 – Improving Quality of Life
- FileShield – Best of R&D, Merit Award at MSC-APICTA 2003
• Merit Award Winner of ‘Best Education and Training’ at APICTA Awards 2004, Hong Kong
• Winner of “Best of Education and Training” at MSC-APICTA Awards 2004
• Merit Winner of “Best of R&D” at MSC-APICTA Awards 2004
Technologically Advanced Facilities at Asia Pacific University
APU’s library is a gateway to a comprehensive collection of books, journals, periodicals, student projects and other related publications to support learning and research for all students and staff.
In addition, you can access online digital libraries from leading providers such as Proquest, Emerald, ACM and Current Law Journals. The library also houses areas for individual and group study, computer facilities and a photocopying facility.
All students have access to state-of-the-art computer facilities that include the latest PCs and workstations with Internet connection, operating systems, software suites and commercial programming software in multiple IT labs built for project work, multimedia production, software and internet programming. Furthermore, all around the campus you will have access to wireless Internet so you can learn anywhere, anytime.
Learning and understanding of the various Engineering principles at different levels is supported by hands-on laboratory work. This is undertaken in fully-equipped laboratories for Analogue and Digital electronics, Communications Engineering, Electrical Power, Controls and Automation, as well as Materials and Testing laboratories and the Mechanical workshop.
As well as this, in order to enable students to learn and understand the latest high-tech engineering techniques, software such as Matlab, Multisim (Simulation) and Autodesk Inventor (Engineering Design) have been installed in the Engineering software and Microprocessor laboratory. Students can make use of all these facilities to do their course work and projects.
Strategic Location of Asia Pacific University’s campus in Kuala Lumpur
The university is strategically located in Technology Park Malaysia, Bukit Jalil. It is near condos and the Bukit Jalil LRT station. A free shuttle bus is provided for students to the LRT station and their accommodation.
APU will be moving to a new campus at the end of 2015 which is also located at Technology Park Malaysia.
Technology Park Malaysia at Bukit Jalil is the ideal location for this new and contemporary Campus due to its strong positioning as Malaysia’s primary hub for leading-edge and high-tech developments in a wide variety of areas such as Information and Communication Technology, Biotechnology, Microelectronics, Engineering and Broadcasting.
TPM is also located in one of the most rapidly developing areas in Kuala Lumpur, and is well served and accessible through major highways, LRT and other forms of public transportation.
The central atrium space of APU’s new campus forms the hub to the building with large communal spaces, multipurpose hall and various other facilities like the large library, computer & engineering labs, lounges and syndicate rooms.
Students will enjoy a lifestyle experience through the sports and recreation facilities such as swimming pool, fitness center as well as basement car parks on campus, among many other exciting facilities.
Financial Aid at Asia Pacific University (APU)
A wide range of affordable hostel accommodation is provided. Free bus shuttles are provided to and from APU and the hostel as well as the Bukit Jalil LRT station.
Scholarships at APIIT range from 30% to 100% depending on the students’ results in SPM, STPM, UEC, O-Levels, or the A-Levels. Sports Scholarships are also available for State and National Players.
Special scholarships are available for students from East Malaysia – Sabah and Sarawak, to assist them to achieve their educational goals.
“Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU) works closely with EduSpiral Consultant Services in assisting a smooth transfer into our programmes for students from all over Malaysia.
Students who have joined APIIT through EduSpiral are very happy with their services and have found their online advise insightful and valuable. EduSpiral also provides guided tours to our campus and provides students with an in-depth view of the careers in IT, Business, Accounting, Banking and Finance and Engineering enabling them to make sound decisions.”
Muhammad Anis Ur Rehman
Manager, Student Services
EduSpiral Consultant Services- Your Personal Online Education Advisor
Established since 2009, EduSpiral Consultant Services helps provide information and counselling on courses and universities in Malaysia. EduSpiral Consultant Services also represents Northampton University, UK, MDIS Singapore and Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
EduSpiral Consultant Services represents the best colleges and universities in Malaysia offering a wide range of choices for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get.
These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable. EduSpiral provides in-depth information and counseling on their courses so that students are able to make the right choice.
If you are still not sure what to study, please contact us and we will send you a free EduSpiral Career Assessment Form.
Please contact us for more details.
- Whatsapp: +601111408838
- Wechat/Line: EduSpiral88
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/eduspiral
- Foursquare: www.foursquare.com/eduspiral
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/eduspiral
- Follow EduSpiral: www.twitter.com/eduspiral
- Be my friend: www.facebook.com/eduspiral1
- Like EduSpiral: www.facebook.com/eduspiralcs
- Message me: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.eduspiral.com