Top Animation Degree at Award-Winning Multimedia University (MMU) in Malaysia
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. WhatsApp 01111408838 for Best Advise
Founded as BM (Hons) (Film & Animation) in 1997, this programme focuses on the art & design of Animation, Visual Effects & Film Language. The programme initially started in Melaka under the Faculty of Media Arts & Sciences, later moved to Cyberjaya under the new Faculty of Creative Multimedia, in the year 1999. The Programme was created to be the catalyst for the Animation industry in Malaysia.
Students after SPM or O-Levels in Malaysia wanting to study at a top ranked university locally and globally for Animation can enter the MQA Accredited Foundation in Creative Multimedia course at affordable Multimedia University (MMU) in Cyberjaya. Upon completion of the recognised Foundation in Creative Multimedia, students will continue on to the Bachelor of Multimedia (Hons.) (Animation) degree programme in Malaysia at the Award-Winning Faculty of Creative Multimedia at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Outstanding Bachelor of Multimedia (Hons.) (Animation) Course in Malaysia at Top Ranked Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
The three-year Animation programme at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya is formerly known as the Film & Animation programme. This course was designed and developed by local professionals and specialists from the industry in Malaysia as well as from various backgrounds. The programme is designed to enhance the student’s knowledge and skills through an intensive series of courses covering a wide spectrum of digital visual media.
It fosters skills in developing creative abilities for a career in 3D content creation industries. The programme, through various student participations, has won awards locally and internationally at animation festivals throughout the world. With a strong and well-established alumni body, the programme also has a well-recognised local and international presence.
Multimedia University (MMU) is ranked 179th in Asia according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University rankings for 2018. Having won hundreds of awards, Multimedia University (MMU) offers the best Creative Media courses such as Multimedia, Animation, Visual Effects, Media Arts, Virtual Reality & Interface Design in Malaysia. Therefore, it is undeniably the best university in Malaysia for students to study the Foundation in Creative Multimedia that’s also affordable. Students may apply for PTPN Loan for the Foundation in Creative Multimedia as well as the degree programmes. Furthermore, 97% of Multimedia University (MMU) students are employed within six months of graduation.
Modeler, Texturing Artist, Animator, Storyboard Artist, Rigging Artist, Technical Director, Creative Director, Designer, Screenwriter, Concept Artist, Compositor, Art Director, Lighting Artist, Render Artist, 3D Artist, 2D Artist, Editor
PROGRAMME EDUCATION OBJECTIVES
- To develop independent, innovative content designers, with the ability to identify problems and provide solutions for the creative industries.
- To produce technically competent content designers with strong fundamental understanding and ability to adapt to any creative production workflow.
- To cultivate enterprising graduates with the ability to create competitive Intellectual Property to stimulate the growth of creative industry.
- Ability to acquire and apply animation theories and practices
- Acquisition of technical competence in specialised areas of animation design
Adhere to social, cultural, global and ethical responsibilities in the animation domain
- Integrate professionalism and commitment while working on a class project
- Able to communicate effectively through presentations and teamwork
- Able to solve problems innovatively through research and experimentation
- Recognizing the importance of lifelong sustainability and efficiency in design and development of animation content
- Able to be an enterprising animation content designer
Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits may join the Foundation in Creative Media for 1 year before continuing on to the degree.
Alternatively, students with at least 3 credits may opt for the following diploma programmes before continuing on to the degree programme with credit exemptions.
- Diploma in 3D Modelling & Animation (Cyberjaya)
- Diploma in Digital Motion Graphic (Cyberjaya)
- Diploma in Creative Audio (Cyberjaya)
- Diploma in Creative Multimedia (Cyberjaya)
Why Study Animation & Visual Effects at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
The Animation & Visual Effects (AFX) program was formerly known as the Film & Animationprogram. The program was established in 1997 as one of the 3 main courses under the Faculty of Media Arts and Sciences, Universiti Telekom before the faculty was re-branded as Faculty of Creative Multimedia (FCM) in 2001, after the university established itself as Multimedia University (MMU) in 1999.
This course was designed and developed by local professionals and specialists from various backgrounds, and further developed through research and experience with the collaboration and support from the professionals in the industry. The Animation & Visual Effects program offers flexibility in fostering skills to develop creative abilities and a career in relevant 3D industries. Weaving film language, understanding of animation and visual effects techniques, while at the same time advocating creative thinking and emphasizing design values, is a major focus here.
The program is designed to enhance the student’s knowledge and skills through an intensive series of courses covering a wide spectrum of digital visual media including: drawing, 2D animation fundamentals, 3D modeling, texturing, rendering and animation; visual effects shooting and compositing; digital film and video effects, and many more.Students create a series of projects throughout the program in addition to a final project, specially developed to demonstrate their knowledge and abilities to potential employers.
The program offers students flexibility in developing their creative abilities and career potentials. The academic program encompasses everything needed in order to prepare the students for a career in 3D content creation. Students graduating from the Animation & Visual Effects program will be able to offer professional level skills as 3D animators, compositing artists, 3D modelers, 3D graphics artists, and contribute to other vast areas of the industry. The program, through various student participations, has won awards locally and internationally at animation festivals throughout the world. With a strong and well established alumni body, the program also has a well-recognized local and international presence.
A UNIVERSITY THAT IS AN INDUSTRY TRENDSETTER
- MMU offers programmes which are tailored to the industry’s needs.
- Nearly 50% of MMU’s programmes are developed for fast growing industries.
- MMU produces graduates who are setting new standards in Malaysia’s industries. Among our successful alumni are Mohd Nizam Abd Razak (the creator of BoBoiBoy, who has boosted the animation industry in Malaysia), Muhammad Usamah Zaid Yasin (Founder & Executive Director of Wau Animation that produces Ejen Ali), Tan Aik Keong (Director of Agmo Studio, a multi-award winning mobile app development company), Ko Chuan Zhen (CEO and co-founder of Plus Solar Systems, a multi-award winning clean energy company in Malaysia) and many more.
Entry Requirements for the Animation & Visual Effects Degree at Multimedia University (MMU)
- Pass Foundation/Matriculation studies in related field from a recognised institution;* OR
* Candidates from non-related field may be admitted subject to a rigorous internal assessment process.
- Pass STPM or its equivalent with a minimum of Grade C (GPA 2.00) in any two (2) subjects; OR
- Pass A-Level with a minimum of Grade D in any two (2) subjects; OR
- Pass UEC with a minimum of Grade B in at least five (5) subjects inclusive of English; OR
- Recognised Creative Multimedia Diploma or its equivalent with a minimum CGPA of 2.50*
*Candidates with CGPA below 2.50 but above 2.00 may be admitted subject to a rigorous internal assessment process.
Year 1 Animation Degree Subjects at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
- Animation Design 1
- 3D Modelling for Animation
- Visual Storytelling
- Film Studies
- Media Culture
- Animation Design 2
- Basic Compositing
- 3D Surfacing
- Sound Design 1
- Media Aesthetics
Year 2 Animation Degree Subjects at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
- Animation Design 3
- Acting for Animation
- Animation & Setup
- Effects Simulation
- Animation Design 4
- Advanced Character Animation
- Look Development
- Media Anthropology
- Semiotic Studies
- Internship Training
Year 3 Animation Degree Subjects at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
- Animation Design Project 1
- Animation Entrepreneurship
- Design Research
- Animation Design Project 2
- Media Law
- Sound Design 2
- Corporate Identity
- Diagram Design
- Motion Capture
- Project Management
- Hubungan Etnik (Local)/Pengajian Malaysia 3 (International)
- Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia (Local)/Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2 (International)
- Introduction to Multicultural Studies in Malaysia
- Workplace Communication
- Bahasa Kebangsaan A (Local)
- Foreign Languages (Local and International)
Creative & Multimedia Arts at MMU
If you have your passion set on a career in creative multimedia and cinematic arts, MMU is the university for you. MMU offers award-winning, practical and industry-ready degrees that will allow you to make a real and lasting impact in the creative field.
MMU seeks to empower their students with expertise and knowledge, and the university is committed to an active and dynamic learning environment that will enhance your depth and perception as well as employability. Both MMU’s Faculties of Creative Multimedia and Cinematic Arts incorporate constantly updated syllabi originating from reputable institutions across the world as well as their own R&D experts to properly reflect new knowledge and discoveries.
Half of MMU full-time academic staff are international lecturers, along with guest lecturers from Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Singapore who will be able to impart real-life experience to your learning. As part of MSC Malaysia, they utilise cutting-edge innovative technologies to keep you up-to-theminute with current and future industry needs
Why Study Creative Multimedia & Cinematic Arts at MMU
- The first university structured towards the digital creative content industry
- The only SEA university to collaborate with USC (University of Southern California) to conduct a Cinematic Arts Degree
- The only private university in Malaysia to offer a major in Virtual Reality
- Award-winning local and international lecturers and mentors with more than100 international awards
- Excellent industry exposure for students with industry experts as panel assessors for student projects
- Cutting-edge technology programmes (HTC Vive, Surface Studio, Nuke and Kinect)
- MMU’s student films have been exhibited in prominent film festivals in Malaysia and internationally
- An industry pioneer that allows students to explore new frontiers in design technology
- Active participation in industry workshops, competitions and more than 10 major industry showcases a year have resulted in numerous student awards
- Experience final year abroad via articulation programme
Faculty of Creative Multimedia at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya Campus
Located within Cyberjaya and built on an 80-hectare plot of land with all the advantages of high technology, MMU Cyberjaya is equipped with various intelligent features such as multimedia learning facilities, intelligent building systems, a digital library, and an integrated campus management system.
Commencing operations in June 1999, MMU (Cyberjaya Campus) conducts a spectrum of information technology and multimedia-based programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Sprawled over 808,440 square metres and housing 28 academic and support buildings, the Cyberjaya campus is home to the Faculty of Creative Multimedia. It is MMU’s second campus and hosts about 6,600 students inclusive of 1,085 international students.
The Best Reasons to Study Creative Multimedia & Cinematic Arts at Multimedia University (MMU)
Being part of the Multimedia Super Corridor (now known as MSC Malaysia), the Faculty of Creative Multimedia (FCM) at Multimedia University (MMU) was part of the initial initiative to be a pioneer in developing creative talents who are techno-savvy and innovative. FCM is the first faculty that was structured to target our degrees towards the digital creative content industry.
MMU alumni has changed the landscape of our Creative Industry in Malaysia through producing strong and memorable digital content for various fields and purpose. They are truly pioneers!
Great Learning Environment
Multimedia University (MMU) FCM students are exposed to active and dynamic learning environments. The majority of classes are hands-on project based, some of which are 100% coursework. Being in the creative industry, having a good portfolio is as important as having a great CGPA. Therefore, MMU encourage their students to do projects that can provide evidence of their skill and knowledge in design and technology.
Multimedia University (MMU) students are exposed to in-depth industrial know-how and processes that allow them to immerse themselves into the real-world of digital creative content creation. MMU lecturers are highly experience practitioners who have their own industry and community reputation. MMU work closely with the Malaysian Creative Industries and companies that will be looking for top quality graduates at the end of their programmes.
High Employability Rate for Multimedia University (MMU) Graduates
From the Tracer studies conducted by MOHE in 2015, MMU’s Faculty of Creative Multimedia graduates have managed to garner over 90% employability rate (after 6 months upon graduation). Multimedia University is proud to be constantly able to reach this high employability rate.
*MOHE 2015 Tracer studies
Industry Leaders in Creative Multimedia in Malaysia
Many of Multimedia University (MMU) alumni have managed to become innovators and industrial leaders on their own. Well-known companies in the Creative Industries like Animonsta, Giggle Garage, Media Hustler, Manggis Production, Glue Studios, MotioFixo, The Incitement, Candidsyndrome International, Chain FX, DA Huang Pictures, Mira Digital and others, are founded and co-founded by MMU graduates. Multimedia University’s programmes not only instils the students with the creative knowledge and skills to become content creators but entrepreneurs and industry leaders.
Well Balanced Education Structure
At Faculty of Creative Multimedia, MMU boasts a well-balanced learning structure that provides strong hands-on experience as well as good understanding of the fundamentals of the field and industry. The team of lecturers work closely with students to develop confidence and know-how in the respective industries. Multimedia University is committed to ignite your passion in creating digital content!
Awards & Recognition At Faculty of Creative Multimedia MMU Cyberjaya
Over the years, Faculty of Creative Multimedia MMU staff and students have constantly won numerous awards in animation, film, media arts, advertising, product design, virtual reality, photography, design, education, knowledge management and others. This is the testament of our commitment and quality of work.
Be part of a globally ranked university that is listed in the QS World University Rankings and continues to strive with solid breakthrough to be at the 170th spot in QS Asia University Rankings 2020.
- Study alongside more than 1,000 international students from 62 countries.
- Experience the best and latest technologies from our collaborations with major ICT players such as ZTE, Huawei, Nokia, Intel, Microsoft, Cisco and Motorola.
- Get exposure to some of the best practices from the world’s best universities such as MIT, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, Harvard, USC and Tokyo University.
- Ranked at 170th in QS Asia University Rankings 2020
- Top 5 Malaysian Private University in Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2020
- Awarded Self-Accreditation Status, 2017 Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA)
- More than 90% Employability within 6 months of graduation – Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) Tracer Study & MOE Kemaskini Status Pekerjaan 2015]
- MMU’s IT graduates are the most preferred by Malaysian firms – Frost & Sullivan Asia Pacific (MDEC’s Malaysian Digital Talent Study 2017 Final Findings)
- Premier Digital Tech University Status, 2019 Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) and Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC)
Facilities for Creative Multimedia Students at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
The I-SPACE serves as a dynamic and energized hub for FCM’s creative and technology talents. The space bring together faculty academics, researchers (research assistants, research officers, postgraduate research students) and industry specialists to explore, experiment, develop, validate and translate new ideas into multimedia technologies, products and services.
Currently occupied by the Centre of Islamic Digital Application and Content, I-SPACE encourage R&D collaboration that focuses on applying new media technologies from the creative multimedia research community to problems in industry and commerce. Our R&D partners include ITHMAR, from the Imam Muhammad Ibnu Saud Islamic University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Islamic Arts Museum, Kuala Lumpur and Telekom Malaysia.
By providing a vibrant and supportive environment for R&D, with tools and technologies seamlessly integrate physical and virtual spaces, I-SPACE has promoted, nurtured and supported a creative, and innovative community of researchers in the faculty.
Electronic Theatre is a cinematic hall equipped with audio and video facilities for screening and lecture purposes. The E-Theatre boasts full HD 3D stereoscopy viewing capabilities and is furnished with comfortable tiered seating rivalling cinemas. The theatre is able to accommodate up to 300 students comfortably, and is frequently used for showcases, screenings and lectures.
Faculty of Creative Multimedia MMU Cyberjaya Labs & Studios
Our labs and studios are fun and exciting spaces where students are pushed to meet the challenges of the future. Students are encouraged to experiment with an array of electronic hardware and software devices to hone their own creativity.
A conducive workplace for students to enhance their creative thinking skills and carry out design projects and assignments.
PCs equipped here have the capability to develop high-resolution computer graphic images, thus installed with professional graphic and image editing software tools like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Macromedia Freehand and Macromedia Fireworks. The PCs are also linked to the internet and intranet.
Media Arts Living Lab
Media Arts Living Laboratory (MALL) is an infrastructure, research concept, experimental and experience gallery. MALL function as a meeting place of researchers on multidisciplinary field (media, art, technology, interaction design etc) and also a studio space for media arts students and staff in exploration of new media technology and experiential learning.
Set and Background Studio
A physical studio with blue screen and motion capture facilities for a virtual studio set-up.
This is where students create complex 3D objects using high-end computers and tools such as 3D Studio Max, AutoCAD, Maya and Softimage.
These labs contain specialised facilities comprising of hardware and software intended for high-end 3D animation purposes.
Rapid Prototyping Labs
The Rapid Prototyping Labs consist of Computer Aided Design (CAD) facilities to produce prototype designs and mock-ups for interface design concepts.
Post production video labs also available in the faculty for high-end non-linear editing.
These labs are used for creating and editing digital sound and are equipped with Workstations with leading audio software tools.
Virtual Reality Lab
Digital Imaging Lab
E- Gallery at the Faculty of Creative Multimedia, MMU Cyberjaya
The faculty’s Gallery is an elegant exhibition space which is home to distinguished artwork and installations by students, alumni and staff. The Gallery is frequently used for event launches and its content is constantly changing due to the various showcases and exhibitions.