Find Out the Course Details for the Diploma in Textile and Fashion Design at the Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- Course Details for the Diploma in Textile and Fashion Design at Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- MIA Diploma in Textile and Fashion Design course information for students after SPM or IGCSE O-Levels
Students after SPM or IGCSE O-Levels with at least 3 credits and interested to pursue the Diploma in Textile and Fashion Design can consider the Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA). With more than 50 years of providing design and music courses, students will find that this award-winning college has the necessary experience and facilities to enhance your design skills to secure a job for the future.
Malaysian Institute of Art is vital from its role as a pioneer art and design institute to being a renowned, trusted and reliable arts education provider. Since its founding, MIA has continuously championed quality and affordable art, design and music education. We believe that arts education should not be seen as elite or just for a select few.
It is our aim to have as many students as possible to be able to think creatively and have novel ways of addressing issues and nurture problem-solving skills. This is achieved through our holistic education and highly qualified group of educators.
Our track record in producing relevant and capable workforce for the creative industry is proven with the numerous alumni making a name for themselves. We welcome all youths who have interest in art, design or music education as we build pathways for them to realize their creative dream career.
Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA) is a community of lively young artists in the making. At MIA, students will find themselves experiencing and exploring new creative forms, expressions of various kind of arts and skills that will contribute to their future careers. To enhance the live and learn experience, we provide an ideal hands-on learning environment, classrooms and facilities for our students as well as living facilities close to campus. With the growing numbers of amenities around the campus such as a shopping mall and an upcoming convention center, MIA is located in an area where students can truly live and learn to the fullest.
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Study the Diploma in Textile and Fashion Design at Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
The Textile and Fashion Design course caters to the needs of students interested in becoming a professional textile or fashion designer. This course consists of two major modules, namely Textile Design and Fashion Design.
Textile Design provides training in conceptual development, creative interpretation and technical production as well as knowledge relevance which is crucial to the textile design industry. An industrial attachment and a practical workshop will further provide valuable practical experience for the students. Fashion Design equips the students with fashion and textile knowledge, marketing and practical skills. Design concepts and technical skills are inter-dependent and mutually enhancing in the training approaches. The program is structured to cover all aspects of fashion design from basic to advanced drafting, draping, construction and designing. Studio projects include functional to experimental clothing designs.
- Art & Design Fundamentals
- 3D Studies
- Painting 1
- Drawing 1
- History of Art 1
- Malaysian Studies 2 or Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 1
- Fashion Design 1
- Textile Design 1
- Fashion Illustration 1
- Garment Construction 1
- Printing Workshop 1
- History of Fashion
- Digital Imaging & Text 1
- Writing Skills or Bahasa Kebangsaan A
- Communication Ethics
- Fashion Design 2
- Textile Design 2
- Fashion Illustration 2
- Garment Construction 2
- Printing Workshop 2
- Textile Technology
- Community Project
- Textile Design 3
- Printing Workshop 3
- Fashion Design 3
- Garment Construction 3
- Professional Practice
- Communication Ethics
- Textile Design 4
- Draping 1
- Batik Art 1
- Fashion Merchandising
- Industrial Training
- Fashion Design 5
- Textile Design 5
- Draping 2
- Batik Art 2
- Stage Costume Designer
- Textile Designer
- Fashion Display Artist
- Textile Quality Controller
- Fashion Coordinator
- Fashion Management Assistant
Intakes for the Diploma in Textile and Fashion Design is on January, April and August of each year. Please contact 01111408838 for the exact dates.
Why Study at Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
Find out why you should make MIA your choice of higher learning in arts and music:
- 50 YEARS OF ART EXCELLENCE
We have been offering excellent and innovative art educations to students and have been producing creative professionals for over 50 years.
- OVER 15 COMPETITIONS & AWARDS PER YEAR
Our students have actively represented MIA in various arts and music events as well as creative competitions every year.
- COMPREHENSIVE FACILITIES & SERVICES
We offer Scholarship and Financial Aid for students, Art & Design Library, Computer Lab and various Workshops.
- OUR VERY OWN ART GALLERY
We have designed a platform to showcase our students’ unique works.
- EXCELLENT GRADUATES
MIA has produced notable graduates who have contributed to many of our country’s creative industries.
- HOUSING & SAFE ENVIRONMENT
We offer housing services for our students, close to the campus with a safe environment.
- CONNECTING YOU WITH THE WORLD
We forge partnerships with overseas universities and various industries to provide opportunities to the students.
About Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
Founded in 1967 as a non-profit making organization, the Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA) has trained thousands of professional artists, designers and musicians for the creative industries in this country. Today, the institute provides a range of Diploma courses in the field of art, design and music with comprehensive and well designed course contents.
The emphasis is placed on the mastery of creative skills, in-depth inquires, conceptual development, critical thinking and IT knowledge. The Institute makes every effort to integrate IT knowledge and multi-ethnic cultural values into its training programs to enhance the scope of learning and creative quality of the students.
Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA) endeavours to provide affordable and quality education in the creative arts by providing a conducive environment for the students to develop their creative potentials and strive for artistic excellence. Its aim is to train creative, innovative, confident and self-reliant professional artists, designers and musicians to meet the needs of national development.
The Institute is committed to cater for the needs of human resources by providing well trained graduates who will contribute towards the advancement of the creative industry.
The objective of the course is to prepare students wishing to pursue professional careers in the graphic communication industry. Its aim is to train creative graphic designers who are capable of meeting the client’s demands by providing the appropriate design solutions in their work place.
All students will learn manual skills and exploration of conventional and contemporary media in communication design.
The course incorporates areas such as advertising, corporate identity, typography, illustration, computer graphics and photography into communication design.
The students will be trained to learn the skills of advanced computer software applications and equipped with IT-based knowledge. But above all, the emphasis is placed on the quality of inventiveness and critical thinking.
Art & Design Research Centre at Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
The main objective of the centre is to encourage the teaching staff to engage in Arts and Design research projects for the purpose of enhancing the quality of teaching and learning.
Research on art and design, especially those related to local culture, traditional art forms and design will be encouraged. Comparative studies on various forms of arts and design will also be emphasized.
Staff members may register with the centre for undertaking of research projects. Publication of research outcomes may [subject to approval] be funded by the Institute.
The main function of the centre is to facilitate, manage and coordinate.
Faculty members’ research programme Information and resources for teaching and research
- Art & Design exhibitions
- Publications of the Institute
- Acquisition of artworks for the Institute
- Art collection of the institute
- Image bank / archive
Computer Lab at Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
MIA Computer Lab is now equipped with the most advanced iMAC with Adobe CS4 software and PCs with a range of the latest software for 2-D, 3-D and animation design.
It is also equipped with Colour, Black & White laser printers and scanners that are among a wide range of facilities provided to the staff and students for teaching and learning purposes.
2020 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- MIID REKA Awards 2020 for Design Excellence (student category)
MIA’s Interior Design student, Ms Liew Kar Kar grabbed the Bronze Award in the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID) REKA Awards 2020 for Design Excellence in the student works category!
- TGV Home of the Heroes Fan Art Contest
Fine Art student, Tan Hong Jie, was one of the Top 10 TGV Home of the Heroes Fan Art Contest 2020 winners. His artwork was displayed on a bigger scale at selected TGV cinemas.
- We Are Together” Poster Drawing Contest
Fine Art student, Tan Hong Jie, won Second Runner-Up at “We Are Together” Poster Drawing Contest (Open Category) organized by the China Cultural Centre, Kuala Lumpur on 6 June 2020. The competition was held to support our frontliners.
- Maybank MyTiger Values Art Competition & Exhibition
Fine Art student, Tan Hong Jie, won the Jury’s Award while Tan Kuiyin was one of the Finalists in the Maybank MyTiger Values Art Competition 2020. This annual celebration is mainly to raise awareness for tiger conservation in conjunction with Global Tiger Day that was held on 29 July 2020.
- Pertandingan Melukis Potret Tokoh Pendidikan Nasional 2020
Fine Art students, Danielle Lin Xuan-En and Seow Fei Ding, won Third and Fifth Prize respectively in the “Pertandingan Melukis Potret Tokoh Pendidikan Nasional” organised by Muzium Pendidikan Nasional, UPSI on 13 October 2020. Both of their artworks have become a permanent collection of the museum.
- Art Against AIDS Competition 2020
This year, 9 Fine Art students won thirteen awards in this art competition. Yong Hui Lin won the Grand Prize and walked away with RM10,000.00 cash prize, Nor Farhana Rahmat and Tan Zu Wen won the Jury’s Award and walked away with RM1,500.00 cash each while Sin Yee Chin, Lim Tong Xin, Seow Fei Ding, […]
- Beautiful China of Chinese Myths & Legends Art Contest
Fine Art student, Tan Hong Jie, won 1st Runner-Up in the Open Category of the contest and walked away with RM600.00 cash and certificate. The contest was organized by the China Cultural Centre, Kuala Lumpur on 24 November 2020.
- IMU Art Competition 2020
Fine Art student, Tan Hong Jie, had won Consolation Prize in the IMU Art Competition 2020.
2019 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- One Day Design Challenge by ROCA
Interior Design students Ng Yee Lun and Saw Wai Xiang won the Second Prize for their wash basin design titled ‘Botaniczny’, taking home a cash prize of RM 4000, certificate and a trophy. The one day research and design event was held at KL Convention Centre.
- 2019 – Artwork Contribution to the Consulate General of Malaysia in Hong Kong
A total of five paintings by Fine Art alumni, recent graduates and current students, Foong Yeng Yeng, Goh Tze May, Nooy Xin Yen, Cheah Li Li and Yong Hui Lin, were contributed to the art collection of the Consulate General of Malaysia in Hong Kong, as asset of the Malaysian Government. All paintings will be […]
- 2019 – Usaha Tegas Heritage Competition 2019
Fine Art student, Yong Hui Lin, won First Prize and walked away with RM8000 cash prize in the category of Mixed Media. She had also won the Second Prize in the Drawing category and walked away with RM3000 cash prize. Meanwhile, Tan Hong Jie won the Consolation Prize in the Printmaking category and walked away […]
- 2019 – Inter-university Sand Sculpture Competition 2019
A group of 10 Fine Art students won 3rd Prize in Inter-University Sand Sculpture Competition 2019 at Pantai Tanjung Tuan, Port Dickson on 23rd June 2019. The competition was organized by National Academy of Arts,
- ADOPT A LANTERN DRAWING CONTEST 2019
Fine Art students, Tan Hong Jie won 1st Prize while Tan Zu Wen, Lim Xiao Mun and Nor Farhana won Consolation Prize in the “Adopt a Lantern Drawing Contest” organized and held by Setapak Central from 23rd August – 13th September 2019.
- FUYOOOOH! CREATIVE CHALLENGE 2019
Fine Art students, Tan Zu Wen and Lim Xiao Mun won the Consolation Prize in the FUYOOOOH! Creative Challenge 2019. They walked away with RM1500 cash, two certificates and a trophy.
- Live Action Mural Painting at Asia Illustrations Collections Art Exhibition in conjunction with Popular BookFest 2019
A group of Fine Art (Aina Kurshiah, Lim Shy Huey, Nor Farhana Rahmat, Lim Xiao Mun and Tan Zu Wen) and Illustration (Lo Yen Yen, Tan Bee Shan, Lai Ming Qin and Puan Qiao Wern) students, participated in the live mural drawing & painting project for 2018 Asia Illustrations Collections Art Exhibition on 2nd June […]
- 2019 – RRAWRRR!!! Maybank’s Emerging Woman Artists Show 2019
A group of Fine Art alumni and recent graduates, Anna Azzreena, Emily Chow Wen Qi, Foong Yeng Yeng, Jesicca Kuok, Lim Jing and Mona KV were selected to participate in the “RRAWRRR!!! Maybank’s Emerging Woman Artists Show 2019 from 8th – 23rd March 2019 at Balai Seni Menara Maybank.
- 2019 – “BIND; A State of Mind”
Fine Art recent graduates and final year students, Lim Jing, Emily Chow Wen Qi, Chua Hui Qin and Bonny Cheong, successfully showcased their experimental and installation artworks at “BIND; a State of Mind” on 17th and 18th May 2019 at Kongsi KL.
2018 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- Asia Young Designer Award (AYDA) 2018 Award
Interior Design student Miss Low Kah Lim won the prestigious ‘Silver Award and the Best Colour Choice Award’ after being short listed among the top 12 finalists. She walked away with a total of RM 3500 in cash and certificates. There were a total of 412 entries who participated in the competition across Malaysia, under […]
- 2018 – “ReAksi 20” Exhibition
A total of 10 lecturers and 10 Fine Art students showcased their artworks at Galeri ASWARA from 5th – 27th December 2018.
- 2018 – Art Against AIDS Art Competition
Fine Art recent graduates, Foong Yeng Yeng was awarded the Second Prize and Teo Yi Henn won the Third Prize in the competition. They walked away with cash prize of RM5000 and RM3000 respectively. This competition was organized by Karex Berhad.
- 2018 – Happy Divali Mini Kolam Decorating Competition
Fine Art students, Cheah Li Li and Yong Hui Lin, were the Grand Prize winner of the competition and walked away with the prize money of RM1000 and a certificate. The competition was held at Viva Shopping Mall.
- Piala Seri Endon Batik Competition 2018
Textile and Fashion Design alumna, Lim Jia Hui, won the 3rd prize in the Fashion Category of the competition. She received a cash prize of RM5,000, trophy and certificate on 9th September 2018 at KLCC.
- 2018 Two Fun Winter Camps, National Pingtung University (NPTU), Taiwan
Three recent Illustration graduates, Ling Ya Xuan, Yeap Fong Ray and Chong Chun Li were selected to participate in the “2018 Two Fun Winter Camps 2018” hosted by National Pingtung University (NPTU), Taiwan from 29 January – 6 February 2018.
- International Students’ Workshop 2018, Japan
Graphic Design student, Lois Lee Hui Yee, Textile and Fashion Design student, Rushd Jabir Ahmad Imtiaz Ahmad, Interior Design student, Cheng Hwa Shi, Industrial Design student, Goh Jenn Kang and Illustration student, Lai Pui Kuan were invited to participate in the 25th International Students’ Workshop held at Sozosha College of Design in July 2018 organized […]
- 2018 – Aspects of Taiwan’s Humanities Camp Programme, National Pingtung University (NPTU), Taiwan
Six Illustration students, Chia Zi Wei, Lim Weng Hang, Jacy Lim Siew Yeng, Teh Sze Shio, Choong Shin Yee and Yap Te Xue were selected to participate in the 2018 Aspects of Taiwan’s Humanities Camp Programme at the College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences, NPTU from 7 – 16 August 2018.
- RICOH T-Shirt Design Competition 2018
Students from Illustration, Hing Fung Sun, Jacy Lim Siew Yeng, Yap Tze Xue; Visual Communication, Tai Joesson; and Textile & Fashion Design, Chai Shiou Hui, Cherlyn Lee Wan Xin, Gan Chia Min, Lee Luo Yee, Tan Puoi Kuon and Zoe Chang Sook Yee were selected as the top 10 winners in the RICOH T-Shirt Design […]
2017 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- MIID REKA Awards 2017 for Design Excellence (student category)
Interior Design student Ng Jar Sin won the Honorable Mention Award for her project titled Artist Centre, in the MIID REKA Awards 2017 for Design Excellence in the student category.
- Braun Büffel Art Competition 2017
Chang Khang Hian, Evelyn Lee Joe Xuen and Amy Swe teamed up to participate in the Braun Büffel Art Competition 2017. The competition was held in conjunction with Braun Büffel’s 130th Anniversary celebration with the theme “Promoting Quality of Education through Art”. The students walked away with the second prize worth RM2000 cash rebate to […]
- Malaysia Percussion Festival 2017
MIA Percussion Ensemble from Department of Music won the Best Performance Award and People’s Choice Award from the Malaysia Percussion Festival 2017 at Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre on 18th June 2017.
- 5th Vietnam International Choir Competition organized by INTERKULTUR
MIA’s Ladies Chorus has attained an outstanding achievement in the 5th Vietnam International Choir Competition on 11 June 2017. The chorus, conducted by Ms Susanna Saw, is the winner of the Female Choirs Category and it has received a GOLDEN DIPLOMA – LEVEL IV.
2016 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- Asia Young Designer Awards 2016
Interior Design student, Ko Jing Qing won the “Best Colour Choice” for her project titled, The VILLAGE: Growing in Place.
- 2 PULUH: 5 – MIID Dulux Interior Design Students’ Saturday 2016
Interior Design students Lydia Yek Zong Min, Chong Sim Wui, Ang Choon Wei & Chai Yi Ru won the 1st Prize for the Dustbin Sculpture which was co-organized by DBKL, during the 25th MIID Dulux Interior Design Students’ Saturday 2016 event. Another student, Teh Wei Jie won the 1st Prize for Shelter Design and […]
- Piala Seri Endon Batik Design Competition 2016
Textile & Fashion lecturer, Ms. Lai Hoo Chu and fashion student, Foo Yee Ming, won the consolation prize of RM 1000.00 cash in the Soft Furnishing category
2015 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- Nippon Paint Young Designer Award 2015 “Honorary Mention”
Lim Kim Choon won RM 1000 for being awarded the ‘Honorary Mention Award’ and 5 MIA Interior Design students were among the top 12 finalists which include Ong Kian Gee, Lim Kim Choon, Yee Li jin, Lye Hung Kit & Yee Chun Kit. MIA was also won RM 1000 for the ‘Best College / University […]
- Nippon Paint Young Designer Award 2015 “GOLD Award”
Interior Design student Ong Kian Gee won the prestigious ‘Gold Award’ and the ‘Best Green Innovation Award’ after being short listed among the top 12 finalists. He walked away with a total of RM 3000 for the Gold Award inclusive of a 6 month internship with IJM Land and Bangkok Learning Trip Program.
- Young Designer’s Innovation Award 2015
Textile & Fashion student, Ng Chin Wei, won the Grand Prize in this competition and walked away with a new Samsung Galaxy S6 mobile phone prize.
- Piala Seri Endon Batik Design Competition 2015
Textile & Fashion student, Pang Pei Yee, won the 3rd prize in the Piala Seri Endon Batik Design Competition in the Fashion category.
- Kuala Lumpur Fashion Week 2015 Ready To wear for Air Asia Runway Ready Designer Search
Textile & Fashion student, Andy Yeo Kai She, was announced the Most Promising Designer in this competition held at Pavilion.
- 2014 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- 2014 CNY Horse Sculpture Design Contest
- Anakku Batik Competition 2014
- MISF The 5th Malaysia International Shoe Festival 2014 – The “Out of the Box” Competition
- MFDC Creative Recycle Shoe Competition by MISF The 5th Malaysia International Shoe Festival 2014
- Nando’s Art Initiative ‘Alive’ Competition
- Flora & Fauna Photo Contest 2014
- Conqueror Happy Design Contest 2013-14 (Malaysia Awards)
2013 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- New Zealand-Virtual Re-Start Fashion Competition
- 6th Malaysia Footwear Design Competition 2013 (Creative Art Category)
- 6th Malaysia Footwear Design Competition 2013 (Miniature Art Category)
- Clarins Eco-bag Drawing Competition
- Rubik’s Cube Design Contest by Bratpack Malaysia
- MIJF Jewellery Design Awards 2013 in Bangle Category
- Mr Go Cinema Display Competition
- Sakura Collection Students Awards 2013
- 11th China-Asean Arts Festival & Asia Arts
- Sloggi X Jimmy Liao
- Youth in Charge 2013: Do a good CAUSE, with your COURSE by MagnumCares
- Best Creative Design for Minyak Yu Yee Cap Limau
- Vista Komanwel A, Logo and Signage Design Contest 2013
- 19th National Oldies Song Competition
- MIID RekaAward
- Art Tourism Challenge 1MCAT 2013 – Contemporary Art- The Futurist
- Deepavali Kolam Decorating Competition by Viva Home
- 39th National Classical Vocal Competition
2012 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- Students’ Face Off category of Conqueror Design & Print Awards 2010/2011 (announced in March 2012)
- Poster Design Competition in-conjunction with Mother’s Day
- Kuala Lumpur International Gift and Premium 2012 Product Design Competition
- 5th Malaysia Footwear Design Competition 2012
- Miniature Shoes & Creative Art Competition 2012 (Category Creative Art)
- Miniature Shoes & Creative Art Competition 2012 (Category Miniature Art)
- Partial scholarship Birmingham Conservatory of Music, UK in their Master of Music
- Chin Yong Youth Vocal Competition
- Jeanne LANVIN – The Couture Touch Design Competition 2012
- IKEA Armchair Cover Competition
- The 11th China International Chorus Festival and IFCM World Chorus Summit
- Diesel Pimp a Jeans Contest
- Asia Piano Competition 2012
- Out of the Carton ECO Design Competition 2012
- 38th National Classical Singing Competition
- Deepavali Kollam Decorating Competition
- Asia Piano Competition 2012
- Malaysian Interior Designers Award 2012 (MiiD-MIDA 2012)
- Pertandingan Rekabentuk Malaysia 2011 (announced in 2012)
- 2nd Vietnam International Festival and Choir Competition
- Nippon Paint Colourful Dreams Design & Win Competition
- 10th Malaysian Choral Eisteddfod 2012 International Choral Competition
- Green Exhibition 2012: College Recycle Sculpture Contest
2011 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
Malaysia Design Competition 2010/2011
- Nextus New Furniture Design Competition 2010/2011
- MIFF Ideation Award 2011MIFF Ideation Award 2011
- Nando’s Peri-Fry Art Competition 2011
- MISF 2011 Footwear Creative Design Competition
- Electrolux Think Eco Challenge 2011
- 2011 International Students’ Workshop organized by Sozosha College of Design, Japan
- 4th MALAYSIA FOOTWEAR Design Competition 2011(Miniature Shoes Category)
- 4th MALAYSIA FOOTWEAR Design Competition 2011 (Creative Art Category)
- wREGA Sustainable Graphic Design Challenge 2011 (Category A: Diploma)
- Parkson Passport to Style Europe 2011 June-July Window Display Contest 2011
- Malaysian Youth Orchestra Festival 2011
- DDEC Product Design Competition 2011
- MIDA 2011 Awards
- C Plus C Recycle Art Competition
- Dulux Emerging Talent Awards 2011
- Nippon Paint Young Designers Award 2011 (Interior Design Category)
- Piala Seri Endon 2011 Competition
2010 Achievements for Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- BDA Young Designers Award 2010 organised by Bumiputra Designers Association
- Biotechnology Fashion Designing Competition 2010
- iStyle fashion KLIA 2010
- Piala Seri Endon 2009 Competitio (announced in January 2010)
- Creative Home Interior Design Competition 2010 organised By MACY Home Furnishings Sdn Bhd
- Nippon Paint Young Designer Award 2010 (Interior Design Category)
- Project New York Interior Design Competition 2010
- APSDA 2010 Beijing, China-Student Workshop organised by MSID-DULUX
- ECOTOPIA Juried Exhibition
- Kuala Lumpur International Gifts & Premium Design Contest 2010
- Malaysia Design Competition 2009 organized by Malaysia Design Council (announced in March 2010)
- MIFF Ideation Award 2010
- The Tanjong Heritage 2010 – KL/Selangor
- MIA Ladies Choir World Champion in the Female Chamber Category
- NUS’s Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music Scholarship Recipient
- Asian Young Wedding Fashion Designer Awards
- Trinity-Guildhall Choral Examination
- 8th Malaysian Choral Eisteddfod
- Anzca Music Festival
- Art Major Asian (AMA) Scholarship 2010