Top Diploma in Communication Course in Malaysia at Taylor’s University
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
Students after SPM or O-Levels who are sure of taking mass communication may go for the Diploma in Communication or Foundation in Communication at Taylor’s University. Both pathways take the same time to complete a degree. Students may choose 5 mass communication majors for their degree at Taylor’s University. The majors are Advertising, Broadcasting, Public Relations, Public Relations & Event Management or Public Relations & Marketing. Students who are not sure of which arts-related course may take the Foundation in Arts at Taylor’s. Taylor’s University is acknowledged to be the best university for mass communication in Malaysia having won many awards and an excellent industry-centred curriculum.
Mass communication is the study of how people and companies send out information through mass media to target large areas of the population at the same time. The channels that they use to send out the information are generally through newspaper, magazine, book publishing, print media, radio, television, film, and now through the internet using social media or websites. The messages sent out are for disseminating information, news and advertising. There are many job opportunities for mass communication graduates in Malaysia if you are good.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
The Best Diploma in Communication Programme in Malaysia at Taylor’s University
The curriculum of our Diploma in Communication programme emphasizes on presentation skills, where students are trained to discuss and defend their ideas, concepts and views through oral and written communication. Students will also be exposed to business-related modules such as Fundamental of Management and Marketing Principles & Practice.
After the first year, students are given the opportunity to specialize in advertising, broadcasting, journalism or public relations. Students will also undergo a 10-12 week internship experience at the final year of the programme providing exposure in their chosen fields.
Intakes are in March and July of each year for students after SPM or O-Levels. Upon completion of the Diploma in Communication, students can continue on to Year 2 of any of the communication degree programmes at Taylor’s University
- Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) (Advertising)
- Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) (Broadcasting)
- Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) (Public Relations)
- Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) (Public Relations & Event Management)
- Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) (Public Relations & Marketing)
Year 1 Subjects for the Diploma in Communication Programme at Taylors University
- Mass Communication
- Introduction to Information Technology
- Creative Communication & Portfolio Development
- College Study Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Media Law & Ethics
- Visual Communication
- Choice of two specialisations:
- Public Relations: - PR Theory & Practice
- Advertising: - Introduction to Advertising
- Journalism: - Journalism Theory & Practice
- Broadcasting: - Principles of Broadcasting
• MPU (U1)*
- Academic Writing
- Digital Graphics
- Fundamentals of Management
- Choice of one specialisation:
- Public Relations: - PR strategies & Tactics - PR & New Media
- Advertising: - Branding Strategy - Copywriting
- Journalism: - Broadcast Journalism - Feature Writing
- Broadcasting: - Audio Production - Scriptwriting
Year 2 Subjects for the Diploma in Communication Programme at Taylors University
- Marketing Principles & Practice
- Communication Research Methods
- Choice of one specialisation:
- Public Relations: - PR Writing - Event Management
- Advertising: - Creative Advertising Strategy & Execution - Media Planning
- Journalism: - Online Journalism - Print Journalism
- Broadcasting: - Television Production - Television Genre
- MPU (U2)*
- Psychology for Communication
- Choice of one specialisation:
- Public Relations: - Ethical Communication & Citizenship - PR Project
- Advertising: - Interactive Advertising - Advertising Project
- Journalism: - Photojournalism - News Production (Newspaper)
- Broadcasting: - Film Studies - Broadcast Production Project
• MPU (U3)*
• MPU (U4)*
* The Ministry of Education (MOE) requires all students to take Mata Pelajaran Umum (MPU) (i.e. General Studies) which is categorised under U1, U2, U3 and U4 within the duration of their studies. U1 modules are prescribed by MOE whereas U2, U3 and U4 modules are from a list of University Core Modules (UCM) prescribed as per the Programme Guide.
UK Dual Award from the University of the West of England (UWE), Bristol, U.K.
The School of Communication at Taylor’s University offers dual award degree programmes in
collaboration with the University of the West of England (UWE), UK. A quality review committee, comprising academics from both institutions, is established for quality assurance and the moderation of the standards of the programmes, which includes curriculum and assessment. Students will receive certification from both Taylor’s University and UWE upon completion of their degrees at Taylor’s.
Tracing its roots back to 1595, UWE represents a long and well-established tradition of first-class professional education and training. With over 30,000 students, UWE is a modern, growing university situated in Bristol, which is ranked UK no.1 most liveable city.
UWE has been ranked no.6 for employability in the UK. 95% of graduates are employed or in further study six months after graduation. Bristol is the eighth largest city in the UK, the largest city in the south west and is home to many large businesses and employers including Airbus, AXA, BBC, Environment Agency, Hewlett Parkard, Lloyds TSB, Ministry of Defence and Rolls-Royce.
- The University of the West of England, Bristol or affectionately called Bristol UWE is one of the
most popular universities in the U.K. with a lively intellectual and social mix.
The history of the University goes as far back as 1595, representing a long and well established tradition of first class professional education and training.
- The Department of Screen Media and Journalism is part of the Faculty of Arts, Creative Industries and Education. It has a reputation for high quality teaching informed by the latest research and featured in the top ten of UK universities for student satisfaction in their courses in journalism, film, media and cultural studies.
- The Department also partners some of the most innovative and prestigious cultural organisations in Bristol such as the BBC, Watershed Media Centre, the Pervasive Media Studio and the Festival of Ideas.
- It also sponsors Encounters International Short Film Festival and Compass Film Festival. These organisations offer master-classes and careers advice to give greater insight into the creative industries.
Real Clients, Real Projects for Communication Students at Taylor’s University
We engage with numerous adjunct and visiting lecturers from reputable companies to conduct lessons to students:
- Abu Baker Siddiq
Astro Shaw Sdn Bhd
- Doris Lim
- Dr Rohmad Fakeh
Deputy Director of Strategic Planning Section
Department of Broadcasting, RTM
- Irene Jay Liu
News Editor Data
Thomson Reuters, Hong Kong
- Lisa Wong
- Prof Dina Iordanova
Professor of Film Studies
University of St Andrews, Scotland
- Sandra Hanchard
Swinburne Institute for Social Research, Australia
- Sean Lee
Activities Beyond the Classroom for Communication Students at Taylor’s University
Award-Winning Communication Students at Taylor’s University
- Champion in the EcoWorld Recruitment Video Competition
SOC degree students emerged as Champion in the EcoWorld’s Create Tomorrow and Beyond recruitment video contest 2015. The Champion award comes with a RM5,000 cash prize and an opportunity to work in the industry to reproduce the winning video for commercial use.
- 1st Runner Up in the Shell Fuel Save Campaign
Seven degree studentsperformed in an integrated PR and Marketing competition via a social media campaign to promote fuel efficiency and safe driving tips. They also executed on-ground activation at AvenueK Shopping Gallery.
- Champions for Moving Walls Love Generator Challenge
Two teams, SOC Diploma and Degree students respectively were winners for two special categories (AmBank for Youth and Malaysia’s Resume).
- 1st Prize in the United Against Crime initiative
Diploma students won the short video competition organised by the Crime NKRA team and the Performance Management and Delivery Unit (PEMANDU), a division of the Prime Minister’s Department.
- Champion in the Shell Fuel Save Campaign
Eight students from SOC conducted research, presented a plan and implemented their proposed campaign for two months to educate the next generation of drivers on fuel efficiency.
- Champion, 1st & 2nd Runner Up in Petron Malaysia “Rentetan Kejayaan – A Journey of Triumphs and Milestones”
SOC students emerged as winners in the National Student Art & Photography Competition which aims to encourage the expression of creativity and instill the preservation of arts and culture amongst youth.
Student Mobility Programme at Taylor’s University
In line with our philosophy to encourage students to “learn by doing”, School of Communication collaborates with international institutions, through the Student Mobility programme.
This series of educational programmes are aimed at educating and broadening the world views of School of Communication students, and increasing their global awareness.
Leveraging on our School’s international partnerships, students can choose to either complete a semester abroad or opt for a short overseas study trip. School of Communication is also developing international internship placements, and partnerships with other universities in Asia Pacific, to enhance our students’ educational journey.
proPassion Communications is a Public Relations (PR) consultancy managed by the final year degree students from Taylor’s School of Communication. Inaugurated in 2008 as a project under Taylor’s Diploma in Communication programme, the consultancy is now a part of the “Public Relations and Events Consultancy” module in the Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) with Public Relations majors.
The collaboration between proPassion and partnered companies ensures a win-win situation, where the consultancy has already garnered successful events under its belt – having collaborated with local and international clients.
What We Do
proPassion Communications is committed to two key principles: passion and professionalism.
The services provided by proPassion Communications are:
- public relations campaigns
- branding campaigns
- marketing communications
- event management
List of Clients:
- Baskin Robbins
- Big Fish Media Sdn Bhd
- da:men mall
- Dutch Lady
- Encorp Strand Mall
- Escape Room
- Mypartners Communications Sdn. Bhd.
- StarAsia (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
Strong Industry Linkages at Taylor’s School of Communication
Bridging the Industry Gap
Taylor’s School of Communication’s longstanding ties with the communication industry for over 10 years ensures that its students regularly engage with the industry through industrial attachments and training, inviting guest speakers, and obtaining input from industry partners on our curriculum development.
As part of their study, students are required to undergo a compulsory internship programme. Students are placed with some of the most notable establishments in the industry, including local and international radio and television stations, leading newspapers, magazines, advertising and PR agencies, event management companies, TV production houses, corporate offices, social media establishments, as well as professional agencies and associations.
Due to Taylor’s strong industry affiliations, our students are also able to work with multinational and international companies across various industries, such as:
- ARC Worldwide
- Bates Asia
- DDB PR Sdn. Bhd.
- Foetus International
- Grey Worldwide Sdn. Bhd.
- Leo Burnett
- McCann Erickson (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
- MindShare Malaysia
- Ogilvy & Mather
- Sirius Communication Sdn. Bhd.
- Edelman Public Relations
- Eric Pringle Associate PR
- Essence Communication Sdn. Bhd.
- Fleishman-Hillard Malaysia
- Universal McCann
- Weber Shandwick
- Genting Berhad
- Kuala Lumpur Pavillion
- Mesiniaga Berhad
- Panasonic Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
- Shell Malaysia
- Sony Malaysia
- ACP Magazine
- The Edge Communications Sdn. Bhd.
- Aljazeera International (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
- Panasonic Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
- New Straits Times
- The Star Publications
- Media Prima
- Protemp Exhibitions Sdn. Bhd.
- Roots Asia Pacisic (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Institute of Public Relations Malaysia
- International Association of Business Communicators
- Centre for Independent Journalism
- Group MAD
- PHD Media
Industry Standard Facilities for the School of Communication at Taylor’s University
School of Communication students study in a modern tropical campus with conducive and state-of-the-art facilities catered to their studying needs at our brand new Taylor’s Lakeside Campus.
Our school’s facilities include: