Study Interior Design at Award-Winning First City UC that’s Accredited by Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM)
First City University College is an award-winning private university in Malaysia for Interior Design (Interior Architecture). Having offered the interior design course for more than 20 years and supported by top end facilities, First City UC is the best institution for your interior design education. The 3½ year programme- BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design at First City University College is renowned for developing creative and knowledgeable graduates; armed with skills and ability to embark on careers as professional interior architects.
In addition, their BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design is accredited by the Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM). The Interior Design degree should be Professionally accredited by Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM), where the programme is developed in-line with the guidelines of LAM or Board of Architects Malaysia and appraised under the same rigour as the Architecture programme.
With a focus on design development, theory and practice, this degree will prepare you for a career as an interior designer in Malaysia and globally. It will also provide you with an advanced understanding of the innovative, dynamic world of design. Furthermore, through the university’s industry connections, you will be given the opportunity to work on creative projects, developing skills in writing project proposals and presenting information.
A focus on practical, hands-on learning also means you will not only gain the skills and knowledge needed to design stimulating, sustainable and visually appealing interiors, but also the confidence to embark in real-world projects. Finally, students will have to complete an industry placement as part of your studies.
First City UC graduates can find work in commercial and residential interior design, adaptive re-use design, interactive and responsive environment design, museum and exhibition design, production design for film and television, theatre and performance design, and visual and spatial branding.
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Top Award-Winning Courses in Interior Design at First City UC
The BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design programme at First City University College focuses on the design and development of internal spaces with emphasis on the relationship between architectural context and designed interior. It equips graduates with relevant knowledge and creative skills to be professional interior designers or interior architects.
Students develop design culture in line with professional interior design and architecture practices. Studio design modules are complemented by modules in technical, professional and contextual studies.
Students will undergo internships with various interior design and architecture companies, property developers, product design companies, exhibition design and theater & stage design companies.
Students of this programme will be registered with the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID).
What are the Programme Objectives for the Interior Architecture & Design Degree?
- Enable students to apply design vocabulary, knowledge and creative work to solve design problems.
- Enable students to identify, evaluate and analyse information relating to materials, structure and technical details that take into consideration public health, safety, culture, society and environment.
- Develop students’ theory and practical skills for a professional career in interior design or postgraduate studies.
- Equip students with knowledge and research skills in interior architecture technology and development.
- Engage students in life-long learning.
- Equip students with leadership, teamwork, entrepreneurial, communication and social skills.
Is the Interior Architecture and Design Degree at First City UC Accredited?
The BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design is accredited by the Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM). The Interior Design degree should be Professionally accredited by Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM), where the programme is developed in-line with the guidelines of LAM or Board of Architects Malaysia and appraised under the same rigour as the Architecture programme.
In addition, the degree is also accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA). Degree programmes recognised and accredited by MQA and LAM will also be recognised overseas therefore graduates will be able to find work anywhere.
When are the Intakes for the Degree and What is the Duration?
Intakes for the degree programme are in June and September of each year. Students should contact the university for the exact dates.
The duration for the degree programme is 3 years and 6 months including the internship.
What is the Education Pathway to the Degree after High School?
Students after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels with at least 5 credits in the relevant subjects may enter the Foundation in Art & Design course before continuing on to Year 1 of the BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design. The Foundation in Design is ideal for students who are not sure of which design course to choose for their degree programme. The course will introduce students to the design world and the courses available to them. Upon completion of the Foundation in Design, students can also opt for the BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design or BA (Hons) Graphic Design.
Alternatively, with 3 credits in SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels, students may enter into the Diploma in Interior Design for 2.5 years and then enter into Year 2 of the Interior Architecture & Design degree. The Diploma is ideal for students who are sure that they want to pursue a career in interior design. The Diploma is more practical and focused on interior design. In addition, students may apply for the PTPTN Loan.
What will I study in the Diploma in Interior Design at First City UC?
First City University College is acknowledged to be the best for the diploma in interior design course in Malaysia having won many prestigious awards in interior design and interior architecture. Upon completion of the diploma in interior design, students can continue on to Year 2 of the Interior Architecture or Furniture & Product Design degree, also offered at First City University College.
The programme provides better understanding of a building’s structure and its mechanics while creating exposure to the use of various computer applications and software. It also develops problem –solving and transferable skills in the design professions. Intakes for the Diploma are in January, April and May of each year and the duration is 2 1/3 Years.
The Diploma in Interior Design programme emphasises on the marriage between conceptual thinking and practical design skills. This programme provides students with a better understanding of a building’s structure and its mechanics. It provides opportunities to use various computer applications and software in design work. It also helps students in developing their problem-solving and other transferable skills.
Incorporating a variety of disciplines ranging from psychology, sociology, history, management and business practices, First City University College’s Diploma in Interior Design programme create students that are industry relevant and future game-changers.
What will I Study in the Foundation in Art & Design Course at First City UC?
The one-year Foundation in Design programme at First City University College provides a general art & design education to enable students to gain experience in practical studio work, 2D and 3D designs, research and writing. It develops student’s skills on visual analysis, fundamental drawing, colour studies, research and critical writing skills.
The Foundation programme also equips students with creative, intellectual and critical skills before progressing to the degree programmes as it provides personal diagnostic appraisal which will aid students in a specific design discipline in the degree programmes.
- Duration: 3 semesters at First City University College
- Intake: January, April and July
Can We Apply for the PTPTN Loan for the Design Courses at First City UC?
First City UC will have a special department and staff to help you to make all the necessary arrangements for the loan so you do not need to worry about it. They will brief you about it during Orientation.
Please note that generally, you have to pay the First Semester Fees first and then apply for the loan, which would take 2-3 months to process. The loan should be given out in time for the second semester but if it doesn’t happen in time, you have to prepare the fees for the Second Semester.
Why Study Interior Design at First City UC?
Many students tend to go for famous brand name private universities without thinking carefully. This is not to say that those universities are not good. However, students should take into consideration many factors when choosing the university that would be best for their interior design education. Here are some of the top reasons why you should study interior design at First City University College.
- As evidence that First City UC is the best university college for interior design in Malaysia, the university and their students have won numerous awards for Interior Design.
- The BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design is accredited by the Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM).
- Some of the best facilities for interior design in Malaysia.
- More than 20 years of experience offering the Interior Design programme.
- Opportunities to participate in competitions
What are the Awards and Achievements for Interior Design at First City UC?
As evidence that First City UC is the best university college for interior design in Malaysia, the university and their students have won numerous awards for Interior Design as well as Graphic Design. Winning the awards is proof that First City UC is producing top graduates in interior design.
- 15th Annual International Design Awards 2020, Los Angeles, USA
- Frankie Ong – BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design – Silver Award
- International Furniture Design Innovation (IFDI) 2020
- Reven Oh Gein Heir – BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design – Gold Award
- Beh Wei Herng – BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design – Gold Award
- International Design Awards 2019 (IDA)
- Teh Wei Jie – BA (Hons) Interior Architecture degree won the GOLD AWARD for the Interior Design Student Category
- 24th Malaysian International Furniture Fair (MIFF) Furniture Design Competition 2018 – Champion
- Asia Young Designer Award 2017 – Best Green Innovation And Honorary Mention
- Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID) Reka Awards 2017
- MIJF Jewellery Design Awards 2017 Ring Catergory – Top 5 Finalist
- 16th International CONVR 2016 Best PhD Student Paper Award Dr. Siti Norzaini Bt Zainal Abidin
- ASPaC 2017 Merit Award – Charmaine Wong and Sharon Chai of BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- ASIA PACIFIC INTERIOR DESIGNER AWARD 2016 Silver Winner
- IAI DESIGN AWARD Design Star Award 2015
- National Outstanding Educator Award 2015 (Design Education – College Level) Ms Chua Huwi Huwi
- Nippon Paint Young Designer Awards 2014:
- Gold Winner for Interior Design is Lim Yong An
- Lim Yong An also won the “Best Green Innovation Award”.
- Ernest Loh Yin-Sen won Silver
- Soo Mei Lian won “Best Colour Choice”
- Yii Sii Lin won an Honorary Mention
- Best College for Interior Design also went to KBU International College
- Best Lecturer for Interior Design went to KBU’s Chua Huwi Huwi.
- RSA Genovasi Malaysian Awards 2014
- Social Entrepreneurship Category Winners – Mandy Choong Mun Yee, Lee Man Kit, Kim Eunkyung, Goh Pei Hua and Yong Lee Chee
- Digital Age Category Winner – Daniel Chua Yong Ho
- MIFF 2014 Awards– MIFF 2014 Young Designers Category
- Father’s Day – VIVA Drawing Competition 2014
- Conqueror Happy Design Contest 2013/14
- MIJF Jewellery Design Competition 2014 Award
- Lee Hui Ying, clinched second prize for the MIFF Furniture Design Competition 2014
- Nippon Paint Young Designer 2012 competition, KBU staff and students made a sweep of the awards with:
- Regional Winner – Lim Meng Yeu – Platinum/Malaysia beating Gold winners from Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore & China
- Gold/Malaysia – Lim Meng Yeu
- Silver/Malaysia – Chu Sze Yong
- Honorary Mention/Malaysia – Ee Wil Ken and Lee Xuan Xuan
- Best College/University – KBU International College
- Best Lecturer – Chua Huwi Huwi
- Wil Ken bagging a notable award, 2012 Emerging Designer of the Year – Student category of the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers’ (MIID) Malaysian Interior Design Awards (MIDA) 2012
- Lim Meng Yeu, 23, a graduate from KBU International College emerged as the Gold winner of the Student category of MIID’s MIDA Awards 2012
- Lee Jian Ru received the Silver Prize winner of the Student category of 2013 MIID’s MIDA Awards and Foh Vui Siang won the Best Green Innovation Award and also received Honorary Mention
- Philips Lightover Challenge 2013 Winners – Julius Lok Juin Chern and Chiang Siew Leng
- Gan Su Yi and Cheok Yi Chi won 2nd and 3rd prize respectively in the 2013 Bristol Student Design Competition organised by the leading and highly regarded furniture manufacturers in providing office furniture and seating- in collaboration with Majlis Rekabentuk Malaysia (MRM)
- Third place in the 2012 Veloster Rev it Up Inter-College Challenge by Hyundai
- Thirteen of KBU’s graduands have bagged the First Class Honours degree awards in the field of Graphic Design, Interior Architecture and Design and Software Engineering, in which the degree programmes are conducted in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK. Chu Sze Yong (Interior Architecture & Design) graduate was presented the Student of the Year Award.
- Lee Jin Yin and Lydia Low, Year 2 Graphic Design students, collaborated with IM Magazine to produce their magazine cover for the July 2012 issue.
- Katherine Goh, Year 2 Graphic Design student, won the Consolation Prize under the New Media Category for the Peri-fy Your Art Competition 2012
- Bernadette Quah Paik Choo was named the winner of the Ideation Award 2011 by Malaysia International Furniture Fair (MIFF)
- Phum Boon Eng from KBU International College beat 91 other participants to win the MIECO Designer’s Choice Awards (MDCA) 2009 Student’s Category. The MDCA 2009, was jointly organized by MIECO Sdn Bhd and MIFF Sdn Bhd in conjunction with the Malaysian International Furniture Fair 2009 (MIFF 2009)
What are the Interior Design Facilities at First City UC?
First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer in Malaysia. The university provides ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, 3D printer, Mac Lab, woodwork workshop, print studios, workshops, photo labs, recording studio, and a range of other equipment to help students in their design projects.