Study at the Best University College in Malaysia for Interior Architecture & Design Course at First City University College
Students can now obtain a top rated BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design degree at First City University College. The Interior Architecture and Design degree is accredited by the Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM). The Interior Design degree should be Professionally accredited by Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM), where the programme is developed in-line with the guidelines of LAM or Board of Architects Malaysia and appraised under the same rigour as the Architecture programme.
Students after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels with 5 credits may go for the 1-year Foundation in Art & Design and then continue into the 3.5-year BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design degree at First City University College. Alternatively, with 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels, students may enter into the Diploma in Interior Design for 2.5 years and then enter into Year 2 of the Interior Architecture & Design degree.
First City University College is acknowledged to be one of the best universities for design in Malaysia having been the first to offer the undergraduate degree majoring in Graphic Design, Interior Architecture & Design and Furniture & Product Design.
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Course Information for the BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design Degree in Malaysia at First City University College
The 3½ year programme- BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design at First City University College is renowned for developing creative and knowledgeable graduates; armed with skills and ability to embark on careers as professional interior architects.
First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer in Malaysia. The college provides ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, 3D printer, Mac Lab, woodwork workshop, print studios, workshops, photo labs, recording studio, and a range of other equipment to help students in their design projects.
This programme focuses on the design and development of internal spaces with emphasis on the relationship between architectural context and designed interior. It equips graduates with relevant knowledge and creative skills to be professional interior designers or interior architects.
Students develop design culture in line with professional interior design and architecture practices. Studio design modules are complemented by modules in technical, professional and contextual studies.
Students will undergo internships with various interior design and architecture companies, property developers, product design companies, exhibition design and theater & stage design companies.
Students of this programme will be registered with the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID).
The Interior Architecture & Design degree objectives are to:
- Enable students to apply design vocabulary, knowledge and creative work to solve design problems.
- Enable students to identify, evaluate and analyse information relating to materials, structure and technical details that take into consideration public health, safety, culture, society and environment.
- Develop students’ theory and practical skills for a professional career in interior design or postgraduate studies.
- Equip students with knowledge and research skills in interior architecture technology and development.
- Engage students in life-long learning.
- Equip students with leadership, teamwork, entrepreneurial, communication and social skills.
Intakes for the Interior Architecture & Design degree programme at First City University College are in February, June and September of each year.
3 Years 6 Months
PROFESSIONAL BODY RECOGNITION
- Graduates are eligible to be Non-Corporate Member of the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID).
- After relevant working experience and fulfilling the requirements by MIID, members are eligible to be upgraded to Corporate Member.
- Thereafter one may apply to the Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM) to be a registered Interior Designer, subject to meeting LAM’s condition.
- First City UC will pay for the student membership subscription to the MIID. Student have the opportunity to keep abreast with developments in the industry.
- Understand the role of design and the designer within a professional context.
- Have a theoretical and critical perspective of design within its cultural, social, political and economic context.
- Align the design and development of interior spaces with the architectural context and building envelope.
- Understand structural, technical and material considerations at an appropriate level.
- Design interior spaces in a rational, sensitive and articulate manner that contributes to the creation of a physical framework for a sustainable environment and society.
Year 1 Interior Architecture & Design Degree Subjects
- Design Studio 1
- Design Communication 1
- Architectural History and Context 1
- Building Material and Construction 1
- Communication Writing Skills
- Design Studio 2
- Design Communication 2
- Architectural History and Context 2
- Building Material and Construction 2
- Communication Presentation Skills
Year 2 Interior Architecture & Design Degree Subjects
- Design Studio 3
- Building Technology and Services 1
- Architectural History and Context 3
- Computer Aided Design 1
- Elective Subjects
- Creative Entrepreneurship
- Consumer Behavior
- Design Studio 4
- Building Technology and Services 2
- Architectural History and Context 4
- Computer Aided Design 2
- Design Portfolio
- Industrial Placement (compulsory 6 months duration) after completing Year 2
Year 3 Interior Architecture & Design Degree Subjects
- Design Studio 5
- Professional Practice
- Research Proposal and Methodology
- Elective Subjects
- Visual Merchandising
- Sustainable Design
- Design Competition and Special Project
- Design Studio 6
- Project Management & Documentation
- Interior Design Companies
- Architecture Firms
- Furniture Manufacturer
- Lighting Design Consultant
- Exhibition Design Consultant
- Exhibition Designer
- Set Designers and Retail Designers
Education Pathway to Join the Design Courses at First City University College
Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits in the relevant subjects may enter the Foundation in Design course before continuing on to Year 1 of any of the Design degree programmes.
Alternatively, students may enter the Diploma in Graphic Design and then enter into Year 2 of the Graphic Design degree programme.
Students with the necessary 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels can apply for the PTPTN Loan for their Diploma. There is also noPTPN loan for Foundation studies. PTPN Loan is also available for the degree course.
First City University College offers value for money and the Diploma is probably the most affordable and the students have access to excellent facilities.
- STPM – Minimum 2Cs and, a Credit in Bahasa Melayu, a Pass in English and Arts (Pendidikan Seni) in SPM or Pass Portfolio Interview for those who did not take Arts in SPM
- UEC – Minimum 5Bs
- GCE A-LEVEL – Minimum 2Cs
- FOUNDATION/MATRICULATION – Pass with minimum CGPA 2.0
- DIPLOMA – Pass with minimum CGPA 2.0 in Diploma in Interior Design/Art and Design/Design/Multimedia Design/Interior and Architecture Design and a pass in English in SPM or its equivalent
- Other equivalent qualifications which are recognized by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
Pass Interview and Drawing Test
Pass Malaysian University English Test (MUET) Band 1
First City University College is a Top Award-Winning Design University College in Malaysia
As evidence that First City UC is the best university college for interior design in Malaysia, the university and their students have won numerous awards for Interior Design as well as Graphic Design. Winning the awards is proof that First City UC is producing top graduates in interior design.
- 15th Annual International Design Awards 2020, Los Angeles, USA
- Frankie Ong – BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design – Silver Award
- International Furniture Design Innovation (IFDI) 2020
- Reven Oh Gein Heir – BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design – Gold Award
- Beh Wei Herng – BA (Hons) Furniture and Product Design – Gold Award
- International Design Awards 2019 (IDA)
- Teh Wei Jie – BA (Hons) Interior Architecture degree won the GOLD AWARD for the Interior Design Student Category
- 24th Malaysian International Furniture Fair (MIFF) Furniture Design Competition 2018 – Champion
- Asia Young Designer Award 2017 – Best Green Innovation And Honorary Mention
- Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers (MIID) Reka Awards 2017
- MIJF Jewellery Design Awards 2017 Ring Catergory – Top 5 Finalist
- 16th International CONVR 2016 Best PhD Student Paper Award Dr. Siti Norzaini Bt Zainal Abidin
- ASPaC 2017 Merit Award – Charmaine Wong and Sharon Chai of BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- ASIA PACIFIC INTERIOR DESIGNER AWARD 2016 Silver Winner
- IAI DESIGN AWARD Design Star Award 2015
- National Outstanding Educator Award 2015 (Design Education – College Level) Ms Chua Huwi Huwi
- Nippon Paint Young Designer Awards 2014:
- Gold Winner for Interior Design is Lim Yong An
- Lim Yong An also won the “Best Green Innovation Award”.
- Ernest Loh Yin-Sen won Silver
- Soo Mei Lian won “Best Colour Choice”
- Yii Sii Lin won an Honorary Mention
- Best College for Interior Design also went to KBU International College
- Best Lecturer for Interior Design went to KBU’s Chua Huwi Huwi.
- RSA Genovasi Malaysian Awards 2014
- Social Entrepreneurship Category Winners – Mandy Choong Mun Yee, Lee Man Kit, Kim Eunkyung, Goh Pei Hua and Yong Lee Chee
- Digital Age Category Winner – Daniel Chua Yong Ho
- MIFF 2014 Awards– MIFF 2014 Young Designers Category
- Father’s Day – VIVA Drawing Competition 2014
- Conqueror Happy Design Contest 2013/14
- MIJF Jewellery Design Competition 2014 Award
- Lee Hui Ying, clinched second prize for the MIFF Furniture Design Competition 2014
- Nippon Paint Young Designer 2012 competition, KBU staff and students made a sweep of the awards with:
- Regional Winner – Lim Meng Yeu – Platinum/Malaysia beating Gold winners from Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore & China
- Gold/Malaysia – Lim Meng Yeu
- Silver/Malaysia – Chu Sze Yong
- Honorary Mention/Malaysia – Ee Wil Ken and Lee Xuan Xuan
- Best College/University – KBU International College
- Best Lecturer – Chua Huwi Huwi
- Wil Ken bagging a notable award, 2012 Emerging Designer of the Year – Student category of the Malaysian Institute of Interior Designers’ (MIID) Malaysian Interior Design Awards (MIDA) 2012
- Lim Meng Yeu, 23, a graduate from KBU International College emerged as the Gold winner of the Student category of MIID’s MIDA Awards 2012
- Lee Jian Ru received the Silver Prize winner of the Student category of 2013 MIID’s MIDA Awards and Foh Vui Siang won the Best Green Innovation Award and also received Honorary Mention
- Philips Lightover Challenge 2013 Winners – Julius Lok Juin Chern and Chiang Siew Leng
- Gan Su Yi and Cheok Yi Chi won 2nd and 3rd prize respectively in the 2013 Bristol Student Design Competition organised by the leading and highly regarded furniture manufacturers in providing office furniture and seating- in collaboration with Majlis Rekabentuk Malaysia (MRM)
- Third place in the 2012 Veloster Rev it Up Inter-College Challenge by Hyundai
- Thirteen of KBU’s graduands have bagged the First Class Honours degree awards in the field of Graphic Design, Interior Architecture and Design and Software Engineering, in which the degree programmes are conducted in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK. Chu Sze Yong (Interior Architecture & Design) graduate was presented the Student of the Year Award.
- Lee Jin Yin and Lydia Low, Year 2 Graphic Design students, collaborated with IM Magazine to produce their magazine cover for the July 2012 issue.
- Katherine Goh, Year 2 Graphic Design student, won the Consolation Prize under the New Media Category for the Peri-fy Your Art Competition 2012
- Bernadette Quah Paik Choo was named the winner of the Ideation Award 2011 by Malaysia International Furniture Fair (MIFF)
- Phum Boon Eng from KBU International College beat 91 other participants to win the MIECO Designer’s Choice Awards (MDCA) 2009 Student’s Category. The MDCA 2009, was jointly organized by MIECO Sdn Bhd and MIFF Sdn Bhd in conjunction with the Malaysian International Furniture Fair 2009 (MIFF 2009)
What are the Interior Design Facilities at First City UC?
First City University College has everything an art & design student needs to equip him/her with the skill sets required of a professional designer in Malaysia. The university provides ample studio space, up-to-date computer hardware and software, 3D printer, Mac Lab, woodwork workshop, print studios, workshops, photo labs, recording studio, and a range of other equipment to help students in their design projects.