Malaysian Matriculation Programme (Matrikulasi) – Pre-University (Pre-U) Course for Students after SPM

Malaysian Matriculation Programme (Matrikulasi)

Malaysian Matriculation Programme (Matrikulasi)

What you Need to Know about Malaysia’s Matriculation Programme (Matrikulasi)

The Malaysian Matriculation Programme is a popular Pre-University (Pre-U) Pathway for many SPM graduates who aspire to study at a Government University or IPTA. It is one of the most affordable Pre-U programmes in Malaysia but there are pros and cons to this course and it is not available to every who applies for it.

The Malaysian Matriculation Programme (Program Matrikulasi Malaysia) is a one year Pre-University programme offered by the Ministry of Education, Malaysia. Starting 2005, the selection process for the programme is done through a race-based quota system, where 90% of the places are reserved for bumiputeras students while the remaining 10% are open for non-bumiputeras.

Matriculation is a popular Pre-University Programme for students after SPM as an affordable education pathway into Malaysia’s Public Universities. Graduates from the matriculation programme will receive a certificate which is “Sijil Matrikulasi KPM” which is certified and recognised by every public universities in Malaysia.

However, it is a fact that graduates from good private universities are well in demand by the private sector compared to those from public universities. Generally, those graduating from private universities are more proficient in English.

You might also be interested to read:

Didn’t get a place in Matriculation? Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or course. 

What is the Malaysian Matriculation Programme (Matrikulasi)?

Program Matrikulasi Malaysia) is a one-year pre-university preparatory programme offered by the Ministry of Education, Malaysia. It is one of the education pathways into Malaysia’s Public Universities. Upon completion of the Matriculation Programme students will receive a “Sijil Matrikulasi KPM” certificate.

It has 2 programmes with 2 different durations, Sistem Dua Semester (SDS) and Sistem Empat Semester (SES).  Starting 2005, the selection process for the programme is done through a race-based quota system, where 90% of the places are reserved for bumiputeras students while the remaining 10% are open for non-bumiputeras.

  • 2 -Semester System – Sistem Dua Semester (SDS) – 1 year for Bumi and non-Bumi
  • 4-Semester System – Sistem Empat Semester (SES) – 2 years for Bumi only

The 2-year SES is only for bumiputera,  while non-bumis like the Chinese or Indian, can only enrol into the SDS 1-year programme.

Students can apply for 4 different streams

  • Science stream (one-year SDS for Bumiputera and Non-Bumiputera while the 2-year SES is only for Bumiputera)
  • Accounting stream (one-year SDS for Bumiputera and Non-Bumiputera)
  • Professional Accounting stream (one-year SDS and for Bumiputeras only)
  • Engineering stream (one-year SDS for Technical students)

Mathematics, physics, biology, chemistry and informatics science subjects are conducted in English. Other compulsory subjects are English, Dynamics Skills (Kemahiran Dinamika), Islamic/Moral Study and Information Technology. Students are also required to take up a co-curricular activity of their choice (sports/games, societies/clubs or marching band) during the programme.

Upon completion of the Matriculation Programme students will apply for a place at the public universities through Unit Pusat Universiti (UPU) online.

What are the Pros and Cons in Studying Malaysia’s Matriculation Programme?


  • Matriculation is extremely affordable at only RM600 for the whole course.
  • Accommodation is provided.
  • It is a 1-year course
  • You are able to enter the public university (IPTA) of your choice provided you meet the requirements set by the university.


  • Matriculation is not recognised by universities overseas. It is recognised by some only.
  • Although taking matriculation assures you a place at a public university, it does not guarantee you a place to do a course of your choice.
  • You may not get your first choice when choosing a stream in the Matriculation Programme.
  • Some Private Universities do not offer scholarships for Matriculation.
  • You have to be very independent. In Matriculation, you are on your own and you have to learn to to be independent. You have to manage your study time, clean your own room, do your own laundry, etc
  • All the Matriculation Colleges are located in rural areas where entertainment is very limited and without any shopping mall nearby.
  • Students are only allowed to leave the college once a week. Therefore, you cannot go home during the weekends. You have to return by a certain time as there is strict curfew. You have to get permission from the college if you wish to go out on the day that you are not allowed to go out with a reasonable excuse.
  • It is compulsory for students to stay at the Matriculation College hostel. Staying at the college hostel is compulsory and you can’t go out from the college freely.
  • Studying is intensive and you are busy most of the time. Classes begin from 8am and end at 4pm. In addition, there may be extra class in the afternoon or at night.

How are Students Selected for the Matriculation Programme?

Students who applied for the Matriculation programme are selected by the Matriculation Division under the Ministry of Education.

Policy-wise the matriculation programme is subject to a 90% Bumiputera quota and a 10% quota for non-Bumiputera students. The 10% quota for non-Bumiputeras is further divided into about 5.5% for Chinese students, 3.5% for Indian students, and 1% for others.

60% of the places will be given to those from the Bottom 40 (B40) income bracket with the remaining 40% given to the Middle 40 (M40) and Top 20 (T20) segments.

Students are selected via a meritocratic process, merits are calculated by taking into account 90% of your academic results and 10% of your co-curricular performance

  • For Science steam, the subjects that will be taken into account are Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, Chemistry and either Physics or Biology (only the best subject will be counted.
  • For the Accounting stream, the subjects are Mathematics, Additional Mathematics and Prinsip Perakaunan, Ekonomi Asas ,Perdagangan, Sains etc.(only the best 2 subjects will be counted).

Sistem Dua Semester (SDS) Matriculation Programme

SDS is a one-year, two-semester programme which is open to Bumi and Non-Bumi students. Students from science, technical and accounting background can register for this programme. Subjects that students will take are:


Particularly, for students from science background, there are three different modules to choose from. The subjects offered in the three modules are:

  • Module I: Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.(sem 1:dinamika)
  • Module II: Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Computer Science.(sem 1:dinamika)
  • Module III: Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Computer Science.(sem 1:kokurikulum)


Mathematics, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics


Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Basic Engineering

Country of origin Malaysia
Duration 12 months (Program Satu Tahun) – 24 months (Program Dua Tahun)
Number of subjects Students must study at least six subjects over two semesters (one year). There is one intake a year, usually in March or April. The matriculation programme in Malaysia offers three streams – science, accountancy and technical streams
Assessment Combination of classroom assignments and examinations
Grading System Your GPA is determined from the grade values associated with the grades that you obtain for each subject every semester. All grades are internally assessed.
Cost RM600
  • Extremely affordable
  • Good prospects to gain admission into public universities
  • Wide range of subjects to choose from
  • Recognised for entry into universities in Commonwealth countries
  • Has limitations, such as ‘Program Dua Tahun’ only open for bumiputras
  • Fewer options of degree courses as the subjects are divided into ‘streams’

What will you Study in the 1-year SDS Matriculation Programme?

There are 2 streams, mainly Science stream and Accounting stream. There are 3 modules in Science stream where Mathematics and Chemistry are compulsory in all 3 modules. The subjects that you can choose from are, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science and Mathematics.

In the Accounting stream, there is only one module. You will study Mathematics, Accounting, Business and Economics. Other than those subjects, you will also learn Pendidikan Moral, Pendidikan Islam (if you are a muslim), Pengajian Am and English. Pendidikan Moral, Pendidikan Islam and Pengajian Am will only be taught in one semester, either semester 1 or semester 2 depend on your timetable.

English, on the other hand will be taught in semester 1 and semester 2. English in semester 1 helps you to prepare for Malaysian University English Test (MUET) which is compulsory for every student.

Kokurikulum is compulsory as well but only for 1 semester.

How are Students Assessed in the Matriculation Programme?

Assessments will be based on a combination of exams and assessments such as debates, quizzes and essays that count towards a final grade. Students will only sit for one final exam known as Peperiksaan Semester Program Matrikulasi (PSPM) every semester.

Grading is based on the Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA).

How much Does it Cost to Study Matriculation?

Students only pay RM600 for the course. The rest is covered by the government. Accommodation is also provided.

Where will you Study Matriculation?

Students are able to select their top 3 choices for college preference however this is subject to availability . Currently, there are 17 matriculation colleges in Malaysia.

Matriculation Colleges
(Peninsula Malaysia)
Kolej Matrikulasi Perlis
Kolej Matrikulasi Kedah
Kolej Matrikulasi Pulau Pinang
Kolej Matrikulasi Perak
Kolej Matrikulasi Selangor (Professional Accounting stream)
Kolej Matrikulasi Negeri Sembilan
Kolej Matrikulasi Melaka
Kolej Matrikulasi Johor
Kolej Matrikulasi Kelantan
Kolej Matrikulasi Pahang
Matriculation Colleges
(East Malaysia)
Kolej Matrikulasi Labuan
Kolej Matrikulasi Sarawak
MARA Colleges Kolej MARA Kuala Nerang (Accounting stream)
Kolej MARA Kulim
Engineering Matriculation Colleges Kolej Matrikulasi Kejuruteraan Kedah
Kolej Matrikulasi Kejuruteraan Pahang
Kolej Matrikulasi Kejuruteraan Johor

What do you do if you didn’t get a Place in Maticulation?

Students who did not manage to get a place in the Matriculation Programme may go for Form 6 to sit for the STPM should you desire to continue into the Public University. Alternatively, you may consider studying at a Private University in Malaysia. Do contact us for advise.

Write your comment or question & our experts will reply you soon

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Please Fill up the Form For Education Advise on Choosing the Right Course & Private University

Want to learn more about which is the right course or the best private university for you? Get answers to your most important questions with expert advise from our knowledgeable and experienced counsellor.

If you are the Parent, please provide your Child’s Details

If you are the parent or sibling or relative, please give the name of the student, not yours.
If you are the parent or sibling or relative, please give the IC number of the student, not yours.
If you are the parent or sibling or relative, please give the email of the student, not yours.
Phone number of the Person Enquiring
Date of completion of your Academic Qualification eg SPM, IGCSE, UEC, A-Levels, etc
List down the courses that you are interested in
List down the universities that you are considering

By filling up the form you accept our Privacy Policy & allow us to share with our partner universities related to your interests. EduSpiral Consultant Services abides by the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) & do NOT sell your Personal Data.

EduSpiral Consultant Services  has more than 20 years experience in the private education industry and is an officially appointed representative for over 20 private colleges & universities in Malaysia.