PTPTN Loan Information on the Application, Eligibility, Criteria and Repayment
- The PTPTNEducation Loan Scheme was established by the Malaysian Government with the purpose of providing educational loans to students studying in Higher Education Institutions locally.
- The PTPTN Loan will enable students to finance a full or partial tuition fee and living cost during the study period at university
- Malaysian students are eligible to apply for the PTPTN Loan as long as they are citizens under the age of 45 and enrolled for MQA accredited Diploma or Degree programmes at Private Universities or Colleges
Students nowadays have the opportunity to complete a diploma or degree programme at a private college or university with the support of the PTPTN Loan which covers some of the tuition costs at a very low interest rate of 1%. The PTPTN loan is on need-based, meaning that lower-income families can borrow a larger amount, and the loans offered for private institutions are higher than public institutions since the tuition fees are typically higher. In addition, science-related courses tend to have higher loan amounts than humanities courses.
The next step after completing your secondary school or Pre-University is to continue on for your tertiary education studies at university. In choosing a course or university to study, finances play an important role in your decision-making. The PTPTN Loan is one of the top choices for students because of its low interest rate.
With the PTPTN Loan, it eases your financial burden and allow you to pursue the course of study without having too much to worry about. Students who want to apply for the loan may need to take into consideration the criteria, loan amount and the application process.
Students need to have registered for the course of study before they can apply for the PTPTN Loan. In addition, students should wait for the university to brief them on the steps on how to apply for the PTPTN Loan.
Students must note that the PTPTN Loan is not available for
- Pre-University programs like SAM, CPU, CIMP, AUSMAT, etc
- external courses like CIMA, CAT or ACCA.
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Information on How to Apply for the PTPTN Loan at Private Universities and Colleges in Malaysia
Most universities and colleges will have a special department and staff to help you to make all the necessary arrangements for the loan so you do not need to worry about it. They will brief you about it during Orientation
Please note that generally, you have to pay the First Semester Fees first and then apply for the loan, which would take 2-3 months to process. The loan should be given out in time for the second semester but if it doesn’t happen in time, you have to prepare the fees for the Second Semester.
The information on the PTPTN Loan below is for reference only and EduSpiral Consultant Services shall not be held liable should the information change. It is the responsibility of the student to check with the college or university on the details or contact PTPTN directly for the latest information.
What are the Requirements to Apply for the PTPTN Loan?
Courses that are accredited by the MQA can only be eligible for the PTPTN Loan. Certain exceptions are made for courses that are under Provisional Accreditation.
Students are eligible to apply for education loans if they fulfill the following conditions: Malaysian citizens;
- Not exceeding 45 years of age on date of application;
- Passed Malaysia Certificate of Education (SPM) with credits in any 3 subjects;
- Passed SPM for Community College Certificate and Polytechnic Diploma graduates with CGPA 3.0 and above;
- IPTA/IPTS/Polytechnic students must register to pursue courses approved by the IPT Management Department (IPTA/IPTS)/Polytechnic Management Department and Community College of the Ministry of Higher Education;
- IPTS students must obtained the Accreditation Certificate from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA). The course and Accreditation Certificate approval period must still be valid on the date of application;
- All students must possess entry requirements determined by the Ministry of Higher Education to pursue the course. For students with qualifications that differ from that stipulated, verification that the said qualification is equivalent to the required qualification must be obtained from departments or agencies specified as above;
- The remaining period of study upon application must exceed one year;
- Have no other sponsor; and
- Student must have SSPN account before making application.
NOTE :Students with 1 credit in SPM taking the Certificate Course cannot take the PTPTN Loan for the Certificate and will not be able to take the loan for Certificate course. They can apply for the loan for the Diploma & Degree courses subsequently.
What is the Interest Rate for the PTPTN Loan?
PTPTN has a very low-interest rate which is a flat interest rate of 1%.
For example, a student has a total loan amount of RM 50,000 and has a repayment period of 15 years.
Interest Amount: RM 50,000 x 1% x 15 years = RM 7,500 (RM 41.67 per month)
Total Monthly Repayment: (RM 50,000 + RM 7,500) / 15 years = RM 319.44 per month
Based on this example, the PTPTN loan’s monthly interest is RM 41.67. Furthermore, students who can settle their loans within 12 months of their studies would not incur the 1% interest and would only need to repay the amount borrowed.
When do we need to Begin the PTPTN Loan Repayment?
You need to start repaying the loan 12 months after graduating
The repayment period for the PTPTN loan begins 12 months after a student completes their studies. The loan repayment period would depend on the total loan amount.
- Students must repay total loan amounts less than RM 10,000 within 5 years.
- Students must repay total loan amounts from RM 10,000 to RM 22,000 within 10 years.
- Students must repay total loan amounts from RM 22,000 to RM 50,000 within 15 years.
- Students must repay total loan amounts of more than RM 50,000 within 20 years.
Students struggling to make their repayments can always go to a PTPTN branch and negotiate to restructure their loan repayments.
How Long do I have to Pay Back the PTPTN Loan and How much Each Monthly Payment?
The length of time taken to pay back the PTPTN loan is based on the total loan amount taken:
|Total Loan Amount||Loan Repayment Period||Estimated Repayment|
|Less than RM10,000||5 years||Less than RM175 per month|
|RM10,000 to RM22,000||10 years||RM92 to RM202 per month|
|RM22,000 to RM50,000||15 years||RM140 to RM319 per month|
|RM50,001 and above||20 years||RM250 to RM750 per month|
Loan defaulters may be blacklisted
Not repaying the PTPTN loan can bring about serious consequences. The failure of people to repay their loans has resulted in the government imposing and enforcing some measures to deter defaulters.
The main consequence is being blacklisted in the Central Credit Reference Information System (CCRIS). This system stores financial information on individuals who borrow money across Malaysia, and banks usually utilise this data to determine if an individual is a good borrower. Therefore, should an individual be blacklisted, they would immediately be rejected upon applying for credit cards, home loans, or personal loans.
How much is the PTPTN Loan Amount that you can apply for?
The amount of loan that students can apply for will depend on the household income. This means the income of both parents combined.
Education Level for Private Universities or IPTS
|Diploma (Pharmacy, Dentistry or Health Sciences)||12,750||9,560||6,380|
|Science Degree Programme||14,030||10,520||7,010|
|Arts & Humanities Degree Programme||13,600||10,200||6,800|
|Degree Programmes for Pharmacy, Dentistry & Health Sciences||17,000||12,750||8,500|
|Medical Degree or MBBS||30,000||30,000||30,000|
Will I be able to get the Full Loan Amount?
The PTPTN loan is divided into three categories – full, partial and tuition fees only. The amount of the loan is determined by the applicant’s monthly household nett income and number of dependants.
|Category of Education Funding||Monthly Household Nett Income (RM)*|
|Full||Not exceeding 4,000|
|Partial||More than 4,000 but not exceeding 5,000|
|Tuition fees only||More than 5,000|
* The monthly household nett income will be subtracted with the number of dependents (1 dependent = RM250)
Peringkat jumlah pembiayaan ditentukan berdasarkan kelayakan di bawah:-
Sekiranya pelajar atau penjaga pelajar disenaraikan sebagai penerima Bantuan Rakyat 1 Malaysia (BR1M)
75% daripada pembiayaan maksimum
Pendapatan keluarga tidak melebihi RM8,000 (tiada dalam data BR1M)
50% daripada pembiayaan maksimum
Pendapatan keluarga melebihi RM8,000 (tiada dalam data BR1M)
How will the PTPTN Loan be Disbursed?
Mode of Payment Payment from PTPTN will be made TWICE a year directly into the university’s account. Students must make payment of first semester’s tuition fees to the university and then apply for the PTPN Loan for it to come into effect for the second semester.Eligibility for the 2nd Payment and onwards Student must obtain GPA 2.0 and above in order to continue enjoying the loan.
- The first loan payment is released only after the completed agreement is received by PTPTN.
- Subsequent payments will be made after PTPTN receives confirmation from the IPT
- The loan payment is credited directly to the student’s account.
- Repayment of education loan / financing starts 6 months after graduation / education financing. You have between 5-20 years to pay back depending on the loan amount.
- The loan rates are 1% per annum on flat rate
PTPTN loan can be converted to a scholarship
Students who receive First Class Honours for their degrees can convert their PTPTN loans into a scholarship, so there is no need to reimburse the loan they have taken out.
Eligibility and application conditions for graduates who achieved First Class Honours
- Open to undergraduates at public and private higher education institutes who obtained a first class honours (private higher education institute students must pursue courses with Accreditation Certification from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency, MQA).
- Students whose applications were approved before 1 July 2005 are still eligible for the repayment exemption and there is no closing date for the above sponsorship.
- Students who complete their studies by obtaining a bachelor’s degree with first class honours or equivalent from 1 January 2010 based on the approval of the senate and meet the following conditions are eligible to be considered for the incentive of converting the education loan into a scholarship:
- Took the course on a full-time basis;
- Completed their studies within the period stipulated in the PTPTN loan agreement;
- The PTPTN financing does not overlap with any other sponsorship;
- Students must submit a proper application to PTPTN within twelve (12) months of the date of graduation during the convocation; and
- The courses taken by students in private higher education institutes have been accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Document for repayment exemption application
Students who wish to avail themselves of this facility must submit an application to PTPTN by submitting the following documents:
- Official application letter
- Copy of bachelor’s degree with first class honours or its equivalent as certified by the Academic Department of the public/private higher education institute concerned;
- Copy of the examination transcript certified by the Academic Department of the public/private higher education institute concerned;
- Student Declaration PTPTN-P-04/4-2007 Pin.3 which has been duly completed; and
- Copy of the Accreditation Certification from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Application for education loans can be made as follows:
- Applicants must apply for education financing online through the Online Loan Application Website at http://www.ptptn.gov.my
- Applicants are allowed to apply based only on the date set by the respective higher education institutes. Information on the dates to make applications in accordance with the relevant institutions can be found on the PTPTN website (http://www.ptptn.gov.my).
- Applicants need to buy a PIN number for RM5.00 which is available at all branches of the Bank Simpanan Nasional through the 3 channels stated below before making the initial registration for education financing application:-
- Automated teller machine(ATM)
- Cash deposit machine (CDM)
The PIN number is valid for only 6 months after the date of application registration (initial registration).
- Applicants must have received the offer of admission to a higher education institute prior to applying for education financing.
- Applicants must have an individual account number in the bank specified by the respective institution, except for applicants studying in an institution that provides the facility of pre-opening bank accounts for its students.
- Applicants furthering their studies at master / PhD (full time) under the financing of the Second Economic Stimulus Package (mini budget) from the Ministry of Higher Education must select a course that begins with the words “Mini Budget” in the Programme / Course Name.
- Applicants can check their application results via the PTPTN Online Loan Aplication Website from the 6th day (working day) after the online closing date prescribed by PTPTN.
- Successful applicants must browse the PTPTN Loan Application Online Website to print the documents listed.
- Please ensure your computer has Adobe Acrobat Reader software for the purpose of printing the document. The software can be downloaded from the website, http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/. Please click on the icon ‘Get ADOBE READER’ and install it on your computer.\
- The documents listed below must be printed on white A4 paper (80 gsm). Print only on one side of each sheet (for each page). The ink must be black.
i. Prepare 2 sets (a printed set and a photocopied set are allowed) of the Education Financing Offer Letter (together with Acknowledgement of Receipt, Approval Letters 1, 2, 3 and 4). Please completeand sign both sets of the documents **.
ii. Prepare 2 sets (a printed set and a photocopied set are allowed) of the Education Financing Agreement. Please complete and sign both sets of documents **.
iii. Prepare 2 sets (a printed set and a photocopied set are allowed) of the Education Financing Agreement
Appendix. Students are required to initial on each page in the space provided at the bottom of the document **.
iv. Prepare 2 revenue stamps worth RM10.00 each. Each set of the Education Financing Agreement that has been completed must be affixed with a revenue stamp worth RM10.00 at the top right corner of the front page.
Note** The complete sets of the document are for the purpose of filing and reference of the loan recipient and PTPTN.
Recipients are also required to submit ONE (1) COPY of CERTIFIED / SIGNED supporting documents as follows:
- Financing Application Information to be printed by clicking on the PRINT INFORMATION button in the Online Application Website after registration. – This document does not need to be certified
- Copy of the recipient’s identity card. Photocopy of the front and back of the card to appear on the same page.
- Copy of Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM / SPMV). The SPM / SPMV result slip is valid for use only if it does not exceed 2 years from the year of examination.
- Copy of letter of admission offer into a higher education institute. The letter printed from the internet / portal of a higher education institute must be certified by a Group A Officer of the institute concerned only.
- Copy of account passbook (page with the account number displayed) / bank deposit slip / verification of personal account number by the bank specified by the higher education institute. This document is to be provided only in the event of error in the account number in the recipient’s agreement document.
- Copy of examination transcript and other admission qualification certificates.
- Example: STPM / diploma / matriculation / bachelor / master.
- Copy of salary slip / income tax return (individual) / retiree card/ pension statement / income verification letter / letter ofconfirmation of unemployment – FIRST GUARDIAN (1).
- Copy of salary slip / income tax return (individual) / retiree card / pension statement /income verification letter / letter of confirmation of unemployment – SECOND GUARDIAN (2).
- Copy of pay slip / copy of income tax return (individual) / income verification letter – RECIPIENT (if the recipient is still working).
- Copy of salary slip / income tax return (individual) / income verification letter / letter of confirmation of unemployment – SPOUSE OF RECIPIENT (if the recipient is married)
- Letter of Confirmation / Declaration of the Social Welfare Department / Central Zakat if receiving monthly from the relevant Agency-RECIPIENT COST / parents / GUARDIAN.
- Work Experience Verification Letter from Employer. (For the recipient, the cost of using the experience as one of the entry qualification) For students who submit applications in semester 2 and above, the following additional documents are required:
- Confirmation letters are still learning from the IPT and
- Copy of the results of all previous semesters. (All supporting documents must photocopy of an A4 size paper using qualified and certified officials. Information about the officers eligible to certify documents can be obtained from PTPTN website.)
How to check PTPTN application status?
The PTPTN application status can be checked on the website six working days after the closing date of the online application.
10 thoughts on “How to Apply for PTPTN Loan to Study Degree & Diploma Courses in Malaysia”
If I already apply the loan for accounting degree in public … can I continue the loan for taking ACCA in public university ?
First, PTPTN loan is not offered for any professional papers like ACCA. Second, ACCA is not offered at any public university
Which is best college/university for Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health in Malaysia
Sorry, I don’t know
Will i get ptptn loan if my foundation cgpa is below than 3.0?
Hello? i wanted to ask. what is the maximum that ptptn can loan to me if i study in a private university in pharmacy or dentistry?
You can read about that in the article. The details are stated there.
Can i get ptptn loan for American Degree Program for Petroluem Engineering Degree
You can only get PTPN Loan for the ADP part in Malaysia.