Find Out What is Heriot-Watt University’s Rankings in the World & in UK 2023
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
- List of Heriot-Watt University rankings in the UK and Globally
- Rankings of Heriot-Watt University to help students choose to study at the Malaysia campus
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia offers the same high-quality education provided in the UK and at their campus in Dubai, creating opportunities for students to transfer between campuses.
- All of the programmes offered at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia are identical to the ones offered in the UK, therefore providing students with the same high quality education consistently
In 2022, Heriot-Watt was ranked at 270th in the World & 33rd in UK by QS World University Rankings. It is Ranked in the top 250 universities worldwide (201-250) for Engineering and Technology by Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021. It is ranked 10th in UK for Mathematics (Data Science) by The Complete University Guide UK 2022. Also in the Top 10 are Marketing (5th), Civil Engineering (7th), Electrical & Electronic Engineering (7th) and Chemical Engineering (8th). Heriot-Watt is ranked Top 10 in UK for Mechanical Engineering by Guardian University Guide 2021. For a full list of rankings, read further below.
Students in Malaysia who are interested in obtaining top ranking UK degree without having to go overseas can choose to study at one of the best Foreign university branch campuses located in Malaysia. Heriot-Watt University Malaysia offers the same high-quality education provided in the UK. Heriot-Watt University Malaysia students have the choice to benefit from an international experience for part of their studies, joining students in Edinburgh or Dubai for part of their degree programme. Check out the rankings for Heriot-Watt University so that you can make a good decision on your further studies.
Heriot-Watt University has been commended by the UK Quality Assurance Agency for the quality of its educational programmes and the strength of its partnership with students. The job market is competitive and students wanting an edge should choose a top rank university in Malaysia to equip them with outstanding skills and critical knowledge to be successful. Students can obtain a top ranked UK education at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia. Scholarships are available to deserving students and the PTPN Loan is also available. To find out more about the list of courses offered at top ranked Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, you may go to this link. Students interested in registering at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, please go to this link.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
UK Top Ranked Foreign University Branch Campus in Malaysia – Heriot-Watt University Malaysia (HWUM)
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has a long tradition of excellence and a proven track record in educating, inspiring and challenging the professionals of tomorrow. Heriot-Watt University is one of the top UK universities for business and industry and has an established reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research.
Heriot-Watt University’s Malaysian campus brings high quality British education within easy reach of students in the South East Asia region and beyond. Heriot-Watt University enjoys an established reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research.
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University is a public research university based in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was established in 1821 as the School of Arts of Edinburgh, world’s first mechanics’ institute and subsequently was granted university status by royal charter granted in 1966. It is the eighth oldest higher education institute in UK. The name Heriot-Watt was taken from Scottish inventor James Watt and Scottish philanthropist and goldsmith George Heriot.
Heriot-Watt was named International University of the Year in recognition of its global presence and impact by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018. In 2020, the university ranked among top 300 in the world by Times Higher Education World University Rankings. The same year, The Complete University Guide ranked Heriot-Watt at 35 in UK, ahead of several Russell Group universities. Since its foundation, the university has maintained strong ties with the neighbouring University of Edinburgh for teaching and research.
Known for its strength in science and engineering, it is one of the 39 old universities in the UK comprising the distinctive second cluster of elite universities after Oxbridge
Study in Malaysia and Obtain a Top Ranked UK Degree at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Choosing to study at a top ranked foreign branch campus in Malaysia has its benefits. Students have access to first class lecturers and facilities at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia. The lecturers at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia are qualified and meet the stringent requirements of the main campus in UK. The lecturers undergo hiring process through the UK campus. In addition, the syllabus of the Malaysian campus is exactly the same at the UK campus.
Being a top ranked UK university means that the standards of teaching and learning are high. Malaysian students experience high quality UK education at an affordable cost in Malaysia. The high rank also means that Heriot-Watt University is well known worldwide allowing graduates ease in access to global employment.
In addition, to find out more about the list of courses offered at top ranked Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, you may go to this link or please WhatsApp 01111408838 for the latest Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Prospectus. Students interested in registering at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, please go to this link. Affordable hostel accommodation is provided at safe and conducive condominiums in Cyberjaya with free bus shuttle to and from Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
Furthermore, scholarships are available at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia to deserving Malaysian students who have achieved high results in their SPM, STPM, O-Levels, A-Levels, UEC, SAM, AUSMAT, MUFY, CIMP or other Pre-University examinations. Students may also apply for the PTPN Loan for the degree programmes at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
The list of top rankings for Heriot-Watt University provides evidence to Malaysian students wanting a top UK education.
Heriot-Watt University UK & World Rankings & Achievements
Heriot-Watt University is consistently ranked at a high level across a number of key university league tables.
From our research performance to student satisfaction, graduate employability and the quality of our teaching, Heriot-Watt’s status as a world-class university is independently confirmed.
The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
In the UK
- Overall, 30th out of 131 institutions in the UK, and 6th in Scotland.
The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023
By subject area:
- First in Scotland for Building, and 2nd in the UK
- First in Scotland for General Engineering, and 9th in the UK.
- First in Scotland for Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering, and 7th in the UK.
- Second in Scotland for Chemical Engineering, and 6th in the UK.
- Second in Scotland for Town and Country Planning and Landscape, and 7th in the UK
- Second in Scotland for Mathematics, and 7th in the UK.
- Top 50 UK (36th)
QS World University Rankings 2023
The QS World University Rankings table has been published annually since 2004. It features more than 1,000 universities with each measured on a variety of factors including academic reputation and employer reputation.
- Heriot-Watt rank 281st in the world, 33rd in UK and 5th in Scotland.
The Complete University Guide 2023
- Overall we ranked 34th in the UK and 5th in Scotland.
- We are ranked in the top ten in the UK for a total of 1 of our 20 subject areas – Building (7th).
- We are ranked in the top two in Scotland for Building (1st), Chemical Engineering (2nd), Mathematics (2nd) and Town & Country Planning (2nd).
- We are ranked 3rd in the UK and are top in Scotland for the amount spent on student facilities.
Guardian University Guide 2023
- Ranked 45th in the UK and 7th in Scotland.
- Top 10 in UK in Computer Science & Information Systems, Construction, Surveying & Planning, and Economics
- First in Scotland in Construction, Surveying & Planning
- Second in Scotland in Chemical Engineering.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings use 13 performance indicators to examine universities across all of their core missions – teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
- Ranked in the top 250 universities worldwide (201-250) for Arts and Humanities
- Ranked in the top 300 universities worldwide (201-250) for Engineering, and Computer Science
- Ranked in the top 25 UK universities for Computer Science
- Ranked in the top 30 UK universities for Engineering.
QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
- We are ranked 13th in the world and 3rd in the UK for Petroleum Engineering
- We are ranked in the top 200 worldwide for 5 subjects: Mathematics, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Petroleum Engineering
- We are ranked in the top 10 in the UK for employer reputation for three subjects: 1st in UK for Petroleum Engineering, 4th for Civil & Structural Engineering, and 10th for Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021
REF 2021 classed 86.8% of our research and 88.6% of our research outputs as ‘world-leading’ (4*) and ‘internationally excellent’ (3*). Heriot-Watt University was recognised for world-leading research in Physics; Mathematical Sciences; Engineering; and Architecture, Built Environment and Planning.
Times Higher Education Golden Age Rankings 2020
THE’s Golden Age University Rankings measures universities established between 1945 and 1967 for their teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income.
- Heriot-Watt is ranked 47th out of 308 institutions.
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020
We are ranked in the top 800 in the world (ranked 701-800) and in the UK top 55 (ranked 46-54) by the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020.
National Student Survey 2019
The National Student Survey (NSS) is a survey which gathers honest feedback from final year undergraduates, studying full time.
- Ranked 35th in the UK for overall satisfaction, a climb of 56 places since last year.
- At least 90% of students were satisfied overall with their course in 10 of our 22 subject areas.
- Joint 1st in the UK for Human Resource Management – 100% of respondents were satisfied overall with their experience at Heriot-Watt.
- 3rd in the UK for Economics – based on overall satisfaction.
- 1st in Scotland for: Economics; Human Resource Management – based on overall satisfaction.
- 1st in Scotland for: Chemical, Process & Energy Engineering; Building – based on the average score across all questions.
- 4th in the UK for: Civil Engineering; Building – based on overall satisfaction.
- 6th in the UK for: Physics; Statistics – based on the average score across all questions.
- 9th in the UK for: Mathematics – based on overall satisfaction.
- 2nd in Scotland for: Mechanical Engineering; Others in Language and Area Studies – based on overall satisfaction.
- 3rd in Scotland for: Chemistry – based on the average score across all questions.
- 3rd in Scotland for: Finance; Mathematics – based on on overall satisfaction.
Times Higher Education – ‘100 Under 50’ World University Ranking 2015
- Heriot-Watt University is ranked 77th in the world, 10th the UK
- Heriot-Watt University is ranked 11th in the world and first in Scotland, based on the ‘international outlook’ indicator from THE World University Rankings. This indicator examines a university’s international student numbers, its percentage of international staff and the proportion of its research papers published with a co-author from at least one other country.
Heriot-Watt University Ranking in the QS Top 50 under 50 2015
- A ranking of the world’s top 50 universities established within the last 50 years.
- 34th in the world, 3rd in the UK and 1st in Scotland.
Times Higher Education ‘Table of Tables’
THE’s ‘Table of Tables’ is the combined results of the three main UK university league tables – the Good University Guide (published by The Times and The Sunday Times), The Guardian and The Complete University Guide.
- In the Table of Tables 2015: Heriot-Watt is placed 27th in the UK and 3rd in Scotland
The Economist: British University Rankings
- In 2017, The Economist released a league table which considers how much people earn five years after they graduate. Heriot-Watt ranked sixteenth of 125 UK universities.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
- REF 2014 named Heriot-Watt in the top 25% of UK universities, with 82% of their research ranked as world-leading or internationally excellent. Heriot-Watt is ranked 9th university in the UK and 1st in Scotland for research impact.
Employability of Heriot-Watt University Graduates
- The Times / Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019 ranked Heriot-Watt joint 17th in the UK and 1st in Scotland for graduate salaries 6 months after graduation.
- 95% of Heriot-Watt students are in employment or further study within six months of graduation
Research Standards at Heriot-Watt University
The university offers the advantages of a research-led teaching environment where advances in relevant fields are reflected in the syllabus. In the 2008 RAE, 50% of the University’s research was rated as internationally excellent. Heriot-Watt had one of the highest RAE staff submission rates among Scottish universities.
The University plays a leading role in a number of Scottish research pooling initiatives including in the areas of Engineering (Scottish Research Partnership in Engineering), Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics and Marine Science.
The University has an extensive portfolio of research collaborations and is expanding this through the development of strategic alliances with key industry partners.
Heriot-Watt University delivers globally relevant and pioneering research with real impact. Our research informs policy, changes the world we live in and solves real problems for business and industry. In the REF 2014 survey of all UK universities:
- 82% of our research was found to be world-class
- we were 1st in the UK for General Engineering (joint submission with Edinburgh University)
- we were 2nd in the UK for Architecture, Built Environment and Planning (joint submission with Edinburgh University)
- we were 5th in the UK for Mathematical Sciences (joint submission with Edinburgh University).
Internationally Recognised Research at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Heriot-Watt University is recognised internationally as a centre for high calibre research in science, engineering and business, and we are one of the UK’s leading universities for cutting edge, applied research.
The university continues to attract significant research funding year on year and nearly 90% of Heriot-Watt University academic staff are involved in research activity.
World-Leading Expertise at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Heriot-Watt University’s expertise in science and engineering is considered world leading and we are renowned for our applied and technological research and for our industry-oriented collaborative work.
Heriot-Watt University also works hard to share this expertise and participate extensively in Knowledge Transfer which helps businesses to improve their competitiveness and productivity.
Recent research in marine conservation for example has focused on marine habitat mapping for conservation purposes in the UK, Galapagos, Ecuador, Colombia and Panama alongside work to understand the impact of climate change (e.g. ocean warming and acidification) on marine species and habitats. Similar projects are being set up in Malaysia.
A Platform for Research Partnerships
The new Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Putrajaya campus will provide a dynamic platform from the creation of partnerships with other local universities through which the university can deliver research studentships and other funded research activities.
The university also hopes to work with Universities and other Higher Education Institutions in the surrounding region, particularly with those from ASEAN countries.
Key Areas of Research that Heriot-Watt University Malaysia will engage in
Examples of the areas Heriot-Watt University Malaysia expects to engage in include, sustainable development, biotechnologies, energy, water resource management, smart textiles and interior environments. It is likely that our research and knowledge transfer activities in Malaysia will reflect the six themes of the University’s core strategy which are:
- Environment and Climate Change
- Transport and Infrastructure
- Physical and Life Sciences Interface
- Modeling and Risk
- Creativity, Design and Innovation
To find out more about the list of courses offered at top ranked Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, you may go to this link. Students interested in registering at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, please go to this link. For information on hostel accommodation at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, go to this link. Scholarships are available to deserving Malaysian students who have achieved high results in their SPM, STPM, A-Levels or UEC examinations.