Find Out the Course Information for Culinary Arts Degree Programme at UOW Malaysia KDU University, College Utropolis Glenmarie
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
To excel in the competitive world of culinary arts, one must choose the best university or college to help you achieve success. One such top culinary school is the University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie which has won numerous awards internationally and nationally thus proving that they are the best in Malaysia for the culinary arts programme.
They have produced top chefs for the past 30 years with a solid programme that is both practical and academically sound. Graduates will also receive an internationally recognised certificate from IMI Switzerland.
In the Culinary Arts Degree students at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie can major in Culinary Operations, Baking & Pastry or Italian Cuisine.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Course Information, Entry Requirements, Intake Dates, Awards, etc for the Culinary Arts Degree Course at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU
The gastronomic experience is no longer just about cooking skills. Students today who aspire to become professionals in the industry, need to understand nutrition, culinary artistry and menu planning amongst other things.
University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU degree programme prepares students to address all aspects of the kitchen and meet the challenges of an increasingly sophisticated and demanding culinary industry. In addition to subjects such as Culinary Essentials, Garde Manger and Basic Patisserie, students will also undertake subjects such as Corporate Social Responsibility, Entrepreneurship, Hospitality Marketing and more.
Students may choose from three different specializations:
- Culinary Operations
Exposes students to culinary traditions and methods, from Classical French Cuisine to Asian delights, through in-depth knowledge of both management and practical aspects.
- Baking and Pastry
Develops students’ skills in various baking and pastry techniques while furnishing them with useful managerial skills so they may excel in the industry.
- Italian Cuisine
Jointly taught by ALMA La Scuola Internazionale (Italy), this specialisation gives students an introduction to Italian produce and products, original and regional Italian recipes and a deeper appreciation of its gastronomic traditions and culture. Students will spend a semester abroad at ALMA, Italy, and will receive a certificate from ALMA upon graduation.
Why Study Culinary Arts at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU
DUAL PARCHMENT AWARD
As the pioneer in hospitality education since 1893, the Swiss reputation for hospitality excellence is respected and trusted globally. Our partner IMI International Management Institute located in Lucerne, Switzerland is ranked 12th in the QS World University Ranking for Hospitality. In this program, students also have the option of obtaining an extra parchment from IMI International Management Institute, Switzerland.
AWARD WINNING LECTURERS
Lecturers and chefs are experts from the hotel, tourism and culinary fields. Students are taught by highly qualified industrial experts. Our dedicated academic staff are passionate in grooming the next generation of chefs and hoteliers.
AVANT GARDE FACILITIES – Kitchens, Restaurants, Culinary Theatres, Wine Lab and Equatorial Hospitality Training Suite
The school furnishes students with over RM 12 Million worth of learning facilities spanning 65,000 square feet in equivalence to professional commercial kitchens, laboratories and F&B outlets in the industry. This ensures that students are familiar with industry standards equipped with practical knowledge and skills to remain competitive and globally marketable in the future.
GLOBAL OUTLOOK THROUGH INTERNATIONAL NETWORK
UOW Malaysia KDU provides its hospitality, tourism and culinary arts’ students with an international experience, allowing them to achieve a global outlook be it during or after their studies. They develop an acute appreciation of the added value of graduating with relevant international study and work experience, and how this benefits their personal development and future careers in hospitality and tourism management as well as in culinary arts.
During their studies, students can participate in these international study opportunities:
IMI (Switzerland) International Residential Study Trip
- An optional 10-day study trip to IMI, Switzerland.
The study trip includes field visits, classes and assignments.
Italian Cuisine – Semester Abroad at ALMA La Scuola Internazionale, Italy
- The first and only Malaysian higher education institution to offer an Italian Cuisine specialisation.
- The semester abroad covers 4 months of classes in ALMA, the world’s leading Italian culinary education centre, and 4 months of stage (internship) in renowned and Michelin-starred restaurants, such as Piccolo Lago in Piemonte and La Pineta in Tuscany.
- Includes field trips to experience the heritage, culture and cuisine of Italy. ALMA is situated 20 minutes away from Parma, a UNESCO-recognised City of Gastronomy famous for Prosciutto di Parma (Parma ham), Parmigiano Reggiano (parmesan cheese) and balsamic vinegar.
STUDENTS ALSO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY OF UNDERGOING THEIR INTERNSHIP ABROAD.
Partnership with HOSCO
UOW Malaysia KDU sends its hospitality, tourism and culinary arts’ students on internships in global placements through HOSCO, which is based in Geneva, Switzerland, where top hospitality organisations, schools and students from all over the world convene and interact.
Students gain access to leading hospitality organisations and their available positions on a global market basis, enabling them to better select their internships and first permanent positions and to access valuable social tools and applications.
Partnership with HILTON WORLDWIDE
The partnership with HILTON WORLDWIDE, the Hilton Class program, aims to develop talents for the country’s rapidly growing hospitality industry. The programme offers UOW Malaysia KDU students rigorous on-the-job training and a theoretical curriculum designed to equip them for successful careers in hospitality.
J1 Exchange Visitor Visa Program
Through this program, students get the opportunity to go through on-the-job experience in the United States for up to 12 months.
Collaboration With Accorhotels
Providing internship & career opportunities to students & graduates of SHTCA.
Including graduate employment program – New Generation Leaders program (Management Trainee program) for graduates.
INTERNSHIPS (NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL)
Internships offer the potential for valuable learning opportunities outside the standard classroom setting. It is to put to practice what students were taught in the school and to develop their skills within all the different departments in the Hospitality Industry. Internships serves as a bridge between traditional academic settings and the professional world to which the students aspires to get into.It is the beginning of a lifelong journey for students and from thereon begin their careers in the Hospitality Industry. Internships strengthens the students resume for future career advancements.
Students after SPM or O-Levels with 3 credits can enter the 2-year Swiss IMI Diploma in Culinary Arts. Upon completion of the Diploma, students can either work or continue on into Year 2 of the Culinary Arts Degree programme.
Students with 5 credits in SPM or O-Levels can enter the Foundation in Arts & Technology at UOW Malaysia KDU for 1 year before entering into the 3-year degree. UEC, STPM, A-Level and other external Pre-University Programme students with the relevant results can enter into the degree.
- STPM / GCE A Levels: 2 Principal Passes
- UEC: Min. 5 Credits
- Diploma: Pass with min. CGPA 2.00
- Foundation Studies: Pass with min. CGPA 2.00
- Any other qualifications deemed equivalent by the Ministry of Education, Malaysia (or as stated in the Document Senarai Nilai Taraf Kelayakan Akademik, Malaysian Qualifications Agency):
Pass (Subject to review and approval of certified transcripts)
- Local Student: Band 4 in MUET
- International Student: Band 5.0 in IELTS; or a min score of 35 (IBT) or 415 (PBT) in TOEFL ; or score 36 and above for Pearson English Test
- *If English language requirements are not fulfilled, additional English module(s) may be taken at UOW Malaysia KDU.
Bachelor of Culinary Management (Hons) at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie
Culinary arts graduates are always in demand as there are more and more food connoisseurs who expect good, high quality food with top-notch service. The comprehensive syllabi in University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU’s Culinary Management degree course with a choice of three majors promise to prepare you for the challenges in the kitchen, whether you head a large operation or work in a modest establishment.
Culinary Operations will allow you to acquire in-depth knowledge of both management and practical aspects related to culinary operations. From the traditional methods in handling meat to cutting-edge techniques in molecular gastronomy, from classical French dishes to contemporary Asian delights, this course gives you a broad exposure to the culinary traditions of both east and west.
If you opt for Baking and Pastry, you will develop an array of managerial and technical skills that allow you to kick-start your career in the patisserie industry. Satisfy the growing global demand for breads, pastries, cakes, and a variety of confectionery by mastering various baking and decorating techniques.
The third area of specialisation, Italian Cuisine, is naturally for you if you have a passion for classical epicurean experiences from the Mediterranean. Jointly taught by ALMA of Italy ( the world’s leading educational and training centre for
Italian cuisine) and UOW Malaysia KDU, this programme gives you familiarity with Italian produce and products, original and regional recipes from the country and a deeper appreciation of its gastronomic traditions and culture.
This program jointly taught by ALMA of Italy and University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU would prepare the students for traditional Italian cuisine in a modern setting, focusing the education on typical Italian products, original Italian recipes with the help of top Italian chefs.
Italian cuisine has always been the backbone of classical European epicurean experience; it has developed through centuries of cultural and social change. The demand for quality Italian style cuisine has seen an increase in the number of authentic Italian restaurants in and around the Asian region.
University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU is the first institution of higher education in Malaysia to offer a Bachelor of Culinary Arts in Italian Cuisine. Students who undergo the new Bachelor’s of Culinary Management (Hons) Italian Culinary, will spend seven months in Italy, paying local fees and is the only Italian Culinary Degree Major in Malaysia.
ALMA is the World’s leading International Culinary education centre for Italian Cuisine. Close to the heart of Italian Cuisine (Parma, origin of Parmesan Cheese, Parma Ham and Balsamic Vinegar).
This is a dual award programme, students who complete this programme would be awarded parchments from University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU and IMI University Centre, Switzerland.
Year 1 Subjects for the Bachelor of Culinary Management (Hons) at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie
- Academic English 1 & 2
- Basic Patisserie
- Culinary French*
- Food Nutrition & Health
- Food Hygiene and Safety
- Professional Development Planning
- Menu Planning
- Culinary Essentials: Larder Preparation
- Culinary Essentials: Butchery
- Culinary Essentials: Gardemanger
Year 2 Subjects for the Bachelor of Culinary Management (Hons) at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie
- Culinary Artistry & Design
- Food & Beverage Management
- Hospitality Financial Management
- Hospitality Marketing and Sales Techniques
- Hospitality Human Resources Management
- Research Methodology
- F&B Catering
- Food Costing, Purchasing & Merchandising
Year 3 Subjects for the Bachelor of Culinary Management (Hons) at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie
- Final Year Project
- Gastronomy Studies*
- Industrial Placement
* Students pursuing the Italian Cuisine specialisation will NOT undertake these subjects.
- Malaysian Cuisine
- Commodity Cooking
- Molecular Cuisine
- Asian Cuisine
Baking & Pastry
- Science of Baking
- Advance Baking & Pastry Techniques
- Artisanal & Decorative Breads
- Chocolate & Confections
- International Pastry Arts & Crafts
Italian Cuisine (Semester abroad in Italy)
- Charcuterie (conducted at UOW Malaysia KDU campus)
- Italian Cuisine & Its Culture
- Italian Cooking Techniques
- Italian Oenology
- Italian Patisserie
- Italian Food Commodities
- Intermediate Italian Language
- Industrial Placement
- Bahasa Kebangsaan A*
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Life in Malaysia
- Hubungan Etnik (Malaysian Students)
- Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia (Malaysian Students)
- Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2 (International Students)
- Pengajian Malaysia 3 (International Students)
Bahasa Kebangsaan A is compulsory for all Malaysian students
- without a credit in SPM Bahasa Malaysia.
- without SPM Bahasa Malaysia (applicable to students from UEC, O Level, or other equivalent programmes)
University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU – The best university for culinary arts courses in Malaysia
One of the best university college in Malaysia for the Culinary Arts programme is University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU. The School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts at UOW Malaysia KDU signed an MOU with IMI in 1997 which enabled UOW Malaysia KDU to offer the IMI Programmes in Malaysia.
In doing so, University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU became the first private university college to offer students, at both the Petaling Jaya and Penang campuses, the opportunity to obtain prestigious Swiss qualifications without having to go abroad.
One of the unique features of the UOW Malaysia KDU–IMI Dual Award program is the exposure to industry placement in reputable local or international hotels and restaurants where practical skills are enhanced in real-life situations.
The School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts (SHTCA) at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU believes that practice makes perfect, especially in the culinary field, and as such, UOW Malaysia KDU is the only school in Malaysia where 75% of the programme is based on hands-on practice.
Here at UOW Malaysia KDU’s School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts, they make sure that you learn only from the best.
Many of UOW Malaysia KDU’s lecturers are very experienced in the industry as well as in teaching.
The school is always breaking out of the mould and pushing boundaries. University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU, Utropolis Glenmarie is the first and only school to offer molecular cooking as a compulsory subject in its culinary programmes.
UOW Malaysia KDU fervently believes that to be at the top, you have to start at the top, which is why the school is no stranger to the competitive hospitality scene. The students and staff of SHTCA have never failed to deliver, both in the local and international competitions, ensuring that the university delivers the best in culinary education in Malaysia.
UOW Malaysia KDU’s students are also very active in Corporate Social Responsibility projects with foundations and associations that cover an array of purposes. The school is also internationally recognised – it garnered the World Association of Chefs Societies (WACS) Recognition of Quality Culinary Education as well as accreditation from The International Centre of Excellence in Tourism and Hospitality Education (THE-ICE) as an Associate Member.
University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie Culinary Arts Awards
UOW Malaysia KDU programs are highly regarded, and their students and lecturers have gone on to participate and win in industry-recognised competitions. These include:
- Battle of the Chefs Penang, Malaysia
- Career@Hiltonlive Hospitality Talent Cup, Malaysia
- International MIHAS Apprentice Chefs’ Competition, Malaysia
- Food and Hotel Malaysia Culinary Challenge (FHM), Malaysia
- Food and Hotel Asia Culinary Challenge (FHA), Singapore
- Hans Bueschkens Challenge, Chile
- Hong Kong International Culinary Classic (HOFEX), Hong Kong
- International Emirates Salon Culinaire, Dubai
- The Big Cooking Contest, Austria
- I-Chef – Worlds Largest Chefs Gathering
- FHI, Food Hotel Indonesia
- Barista Malaysian Challenge
- FHM, Food Hotel Malaysia
- Golden Jubilee of HRH The Sultan of Brunei
- World Chefs Without Borders
- Culinary World Cup in Luxembourg
- World Chef Culinary Classic Competition Under
- American Culinary Federation
- International Culinary Challenge, Maldives
Industry Partners for Local Internship for University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts (SHTCA) Students
- ACCOR Hotels
- Pullman Hotels & Resorts
- IBIS Styles Hotels
- Hilton Worldwide
- Hilton Hotels and Resorts
- Traders Hotels
- Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts
- The Ritz Carlton
- JW Marriot Kuala Lumpur
- Fourpoints by Sheraton
- Berjaya Langkawi
- Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
- Hyatt Hotels
- Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur
- Eastern & Oriental
- The Westin
- Pangkor Laut Resort
- Cameron Highlands Resort
- Star Cruises
- Royal Caribbean International
- Singapore Airlines
Industry Partners for International Internship for University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDUUtropolis Glenmarie School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts (SHTCA) Students
- Hilton Hotels & Resorts
- ACCOR Hotels
- YTL Hotels
- Shangri-La Hotels
- The Fullerton Hotel
- Hotel im Wassertum, Germany
- Hermann’s Posthotel, Germany
- Hotel zur Post Hotel Odenthal, Germany
- Stemberg Velbert, Germany
- Hotel Uberfahrt, Germany
- Esperanto Fulda, Germany
- Top Air Stuttgart, Germany
- Residence Essen, Germany
- Swissotel The Stamford Singapore
- St. Regis Singapore
- Fairmont Singapore
- Resorts World Singapore
- Hilton Hotel, Seoul, Korea,
- Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts, Seoul, Korea
- Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts, Middle East
- Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, Middles East
ALMA La Scuola Internazionale di Cucina Italiana – Partner for School of Hospitality, Tourism & Culinary Arts at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie
University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU’s School of Hospitality, Tourism & Culinary Arts (SHTCA) is proud to announce it collaboration with ALMA Scuola Internazionale di Cucina Italiana, Colorna, Italy, the world’s leading international educational and training centre for Italian Cuisine.
Through this collaboration, the implementation of the Master Chef Certification programme for UOW Malaysia KDU culinary lecturers was established, providing training in the academic of Italian cuisine and pastry.
ALMA educates chefs and sommeliers from all around the world forming professional of Italian Cuisine with training programmes performed at the highest level by the most awarded teachers.
Free Barista Certification for Diploma and Degree Culinary Students at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie
Culinary Arts diploma students at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU will receive free training and certification for the European Barista Guild Level 1 while the culinary degree students will obtain the Level 2 certification. These certifications enhances the students’ learning experience and job potential.
Top Notch Hospitality, Tourism & Culinary Arts Facilities at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie
With industry standard mock-up suites, coffee labs and dining outlets, including a fine dining restaurant, students are able to experience their future working environments while being on campus.
- Equatorial Mock Suite- Industry standard mock suites for realistic hands-on training.
- Café 8ighty 7even by Coffex – Of cosy settings and freshly brewed coffee steaming in the air by the hands of our versatile students.
- Atelier – Hot Kitchen – Students get into action in the hot kitchen, giving them a taste of life in the industry.
- Culinary Lecture Theatre – Top notch facilities equipped in the theatre allows for in-class demonstrations.
- Dewakan – Fine Dining Restaurant – Equipped with elegant finishes, Dewakan is an educational entrepreneurial initiative by KDU.
- Avant – Molecular Kitchen – At Avant, students utilise the latest equipment in learning the art of molecular cooking.
- Charcuterie – Butchery Kitchen – At Charcuterie, students learn and master the techniques and skills to create various deli products.
- Mirabelle – Training Restaurant – At Mirabelle, students run everything from scratch while serving real customers and countering real-time situations.
- Saveur – Training Restaurant – Built to mimic a true fine dining restaurant, students are given real practice at Saveur.
- Artisanat – Kitchen Artistry Room – At Artisanat, our students are trained to master the most delicate of arts.
- Glace – Ice Carvery – At Glace, students are taught first hand on the art of ice carving.
- Boulangerie – Bakery Kitchen – KDU students are synonymous with the fluffy bread and pastries they produce here at the Boulangerie.
- Bacchus – Wine Lab – Students are given a holistic education complemented with our state-of-the-art facilities inclusive of a wine tasting lab.
Why Study Culinary Arts at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie?
- The Largest area space (65,000 sq metres) for a Hospitality School in Malaysia
- Long standing partnership with IMI University Centre (23 years)
- Only school to offer the Italian cuisine major in Malaysia (ALMA)
- All Home grown programmes with Dual parchments with IMI University Centre except the Italian major
- 28 years of academic excellence and getting stronger
- A 10-day residential overseas trip to Switzerland with no extra cost to the students on the UC Degree Programmes except Italian major
- Strong Industry relations with local and international Hotel / Michelin star establishments Industry emphasis programmes and syllabus
- On campus recruitment by local and international establishments
A strong international faculty with nationalities from over 5 countries
Medal winners at local and international competitions
- First and only institution to publish a book on Molecular Cuisine
Exclusive partnership with HOSCO
Hospitality Connection (HOSCO) Exclusive Partnership with University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie
HOSCO is a trusted partner for those who seek excellence in their careers and human capital in the hospitality industry.
Through a single point of contact, members from selected hotel schools use HOSCO to access leading hospitality companies and their available positions on a global market basis. This platform enables members to better select their internships and first permanent positions and to access valuable social tools and applications.
At the same time, companies registered with HOSCO enjoy real-time access to the largest number of highly qualified candidates, either for internships or post-graduate positions, through a single efficient platform. Through the community, employers save time and money recruiting talents that best fit their needs and company values and who are committed to developing a career with them.
More than a traditional job board, HOSCO, based in Geneva, Switzerland, is where top hospitality companies, schools and members from all over the world meet and interact.
It is a network where top hospitality players meet and interact, to find your internship, job or just to broaden your network. Access to HOSCO is exclusively reserved for 30 top ranked hospitality programmes including KDU University College
Study Culinary Arts at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie
University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Utropolis Glenmarie is acknowledged to be one of the best culinary schools in Malaysia.
As a pioneer in the culinary arts, students at KDU will graduate with a prestigious Diploma from Switzerland.
You will be taught by award-wining chefs from diverse nationalities; Germans, French, Australians and Malaysians. Visiting IMI, Switzerland professors every teach UOW Malaysia KDU students every few months as well as conduct seminars.
University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU’s Diploma in Culinary Arts has the most practical-based subjects amongst other institutions with 75% of classes being kitchen-based, therefore making this the best hands-on culinary programme in Malaysia.
The School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts (SHTCA) at KDU University College believes that practice makes perfect, especially in the culinary field, and as such, we are the only school where 75% of the programme is based on hands-on practice. Here at the School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts, we make sure that you learn only from the best. Many of their lecturers are very experienced in the industry as well as in teaching.
The school is always breaking out of the mould and pushing boundaries. The SHTCA is the first and only school to offer molecular cooking as a compulsory subject in its culinary programmes. Recently it launched the first-ever culinary book that pays tribute to our local cuisine and produce and is the first book in Malaysia that applies molecular cooking techniques to Malaysian recipes.
UOW Malaysia KDU fervently believe that to be at the top, you have to start at the top, which is why the school is no stranger to the competitive hospitality scene. The students and staff of SHTCA have never failed to deliver, both in the local and international competitions.
The school is also internationally recognised – it garnered the World Association of Chefs Societies (WACS) Recognition of Quality Culinary Education as well as accreditation from The International Centre of Excellence in Tourism and Hospitality Education (THE-ICE) as an Associate Member.
The course will be taught through a combination of formal lectures, practicals, exercises, role-plays, pair and group work, using authentic materials, activities and various textbooks.
Throughout the course, students will learn how to apply food hygiene, health and safety rules in the preparation of all types of food. You will learn the lay-out and kitchen requirements for different types of kitchens, their tools from the Village Bakery etc., equipment orientation and its uses.
Highly experienced chefs will teach you how to apply various cooking and preparation techniques to make safe, hygienic and delicious food that look great.