MQA Accredited Foundation in Science Course at Top Private Universities in Malaysia
Students after SPM or O-Levels interested in a career in science-related degree programmes can go for the 1-year Foundation programmes at top private universities in Malaysia instead of an external Pre-University Course like SAM, AUSMAT or A-Levels. The Foundation in Science programmes are cheaper than the external Pre-U programmes and generally easier. If you do not plan on going overseas for your degree programme, then it is better to go for the Foundation programme at a top private university in Malaysia.
You may also be interested to read the following articles:
- Top 10 Best Courses to Study at University in Malaysia
- Top 50 Jobs with High Future Demand in Malaysia
- 30 Jobs with Future High Demand & Salaries in Malaysia – Find Out so you can choose the Best Course to Study Now!
- Study Courses that has High Job Demand in Malaysia
- Top 20 Courses to Study in Malaysia that has High Job Demand & Stable Salary
- What is the Best Course to study after SPM or O-Levels in Malaysia?
- Malaysia’s 28 Top Jobs in Demand in Future with High Salaries
- Top 10 Degree Courses in Malaysia with Highest Starting Salaries
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
The Best Private Universities in Malaysia for MQA Accredited Foundation in Science Programmes
You will get the chance to study a variety of subject areas in the Foundation in Science Programme. This will not only give you an idea of what subject you may like to progress on to, but also to develop the valuable learning skills necessary for pursue a degree. A Foundation in Science Programme in Malaysia can be 2 semesters with 6 months each semester or 3 semesters with 4 months each semester.
Many top private universities in Malaysia, have developed their own internal university foundation programmes. These Foundation courses are accredited by the Malaysia Qualification Agency (MQA) and recognised by the respective foreign partner universities. To enter into the Foundation in Science programmes in Malaysia, students after SPM would need at least 5 credits in the relevant subjects with a pass in BM and Sejarah.
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- University of Nottingham Malaysia
- Taylor’s University
- MAHSA University
- UOWM KDU Penang University College
- HELP University
- First City University College
- Multimedia University (MMU)
Foundation in Science Leading to Engineering Degree Courses at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Students in Malaysia will be getting a first class education from a top ranked UK University right here at their state-of-the-art campus at Putrajaya.
The Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation Programme offers the following tailored pathways into the some of the best undergraduate degree programmes in Malaysia. Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least a Minimum 3 Bs and 2 Cs, in SPM or O-Levels, including B in Mathematics, English and Physics or Chemistry and a minimum of C in Additional Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry – or equivalent global qualifications to enter into the Foundation in Science at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
Students interested in registering at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, please go to this link. Affordable hostel accommodation is provided at safe and conducive condominiums in Cyberjaya with free bus shuttle to and from Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
Scholarships are available at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia to deserving Malaysian students who have achieved high results in their SPM or O-Levels examinations.
Programme content for the Foundation Programme at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Students will be supported and mentored throughout your studies to ensure a smooth academic and cultural transition to higher education, and the British university style of teaching and learning.
All the subjects relate directly to the progression degrees offered with strong emphasis on English language skills appropriate to the pathway (spoken, written and academic English). You will develop an awareness of the links between the subjects and the world of work in general.
Academic English & study skills
You will develop your English communication skills and learn a range of study skills, including learning and motivation, time management, reading strategies and communication skills across three courses:
- Academic English
- Academic English for Science
- Study Skills and Transition to University Degree Study
You will develop your knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques and apply these to solving problems, frequently drawn from practical and relevant real-life situations. You will look at functions and their graphical representations and will develop the tools of calculus, matrix algebra, and differential equations to relate the properties of mathematical models to the physical world.
You will cover electromagnetic and sound waves, wave properties (reflection, refraction, interference, diffraction) Newton’s equations of motion, energy, states of matter (solids, liquids and gases), and the structure of the atom. You will also develop your knowledge and understanding of electrical charge and current and, potential difference, resistance, capacitance, transistors and amplifiers, electrical, gravitational, magnetic, and electromagnetic fields.
You will learn about atomic structure, the elements and the Periodic Table, chemical formulae and equations, and an introduction to chemical bonding, redox reactions, equilibrium processes, chemical kinetics and organic chemistry, particularly hydrocarbons.
The Foundation in Science is a focused programme of academic subjects, study skills and English language training designed to provide you with a direct route into a professionally relevant and internationally recognised degree at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia.
Upon successful completion of the Foundation in Science at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, students can enter into the following engineering programmes:
- BEng (Hons)/MEng Chemical Engineering
- BEng (Hons)/MEng Civil Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Construction Project Management
- BEng (Hons)/MEng Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- BEng (Hons)/MEng Mechanical Engineering
- BEng (Hons)/MEng Petroleum Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying
*Some degree programmes are subject to MOE approval and may change.
Outstanding Foundation in Science Course at University of Nottingham Malaysia
The Foundation in Science programme at the University of Nottingham Malaysia is a passport to the undergraduate degrees offered by the Faculty of Science. The modules offered are specifically tailored for direct progression to our undergraduate programmes. With plenty of opportunities to interact with students and staff, you will be given the chance to fully explore the Faculty of Science. This will help support you to identify, and then pursue, a degree in the science field of your choice. Students after SPM or O-Levels wanting to obtain a UK Top Ranked degree can enter the Foundation in Science first at the University of Nottingham Malaysia.
To fully prepare you for your chosen area of study, the Foundation in Science has specialist module pathways in biomedical sciences, bioscience, biotechnology, computer science, geography, psychology and pharmacy, as well as covering topics in mathematics, chemistry, and biology. You will also be given extra support in English language and study skills, so you can progress to the undergraduate level with confidence.
How you are taught
You will follow a dedicated pathway through the foundation programme, based on your choice of degree programme – for example, psychology or computer science. Additional optional modules give you the opportunity to study science topics outside of your pathway which can provide complementary pathways into other degrees offered by the Faculty of Science.
Each semester consists of 15 weeks, with 10-12 weeks of teaching and two weeks of examinations. If you study for the three-semester programme, you would take all appropriate modules. If you opt for the two-semester programme you would take the appropriate modules for the first and second semesters.
The Foundation programme has three annual intakes. The three-semester programme commences in April and July; the two-semester programmes starts in September.
Progressing to degree level
On successful completion of the foundation programme, you can choose from the following undergraduate courses depending on your academic performance and interest.
- Biomedical Sciences
- Computer Science
- Environmental and geographical Sciences
The Best Foundation in Science Programme at Taylor’s University in Malaysia
The 1-year Top Rated Foundation in Science programme at Taylor’s University offers one of the widest ranges of educational pathways. Taylor’s University is one of the best universities in Malaysia for you to study the Foundation in Science programme. Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits including the relevant subjects may enter Taylor’s University Foundation in Science for 1 year before continuing on to the degree programmes below:
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (Hons)
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Culinology®
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) (Food Science with Nutrition)
- Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons)
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Hons)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering
The 1-year Foundation in Science programme at Taylor’s University is essential for students who wish to pursue the Biosciences, Culinology®, Engineering, Medicine or Pharmacy course in Malaysia.
- Acquire practical skills with our science laboratories that are equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation.
- Experience learning supported by modern technology, such as lecture capture, and various online tools.
Balanced Learning Environment
- Opportunity to acquire and demonstrate discipline specific knowledge, cognitive capabilities and soft skills.
- A balanced assessment method, whereby 50% of the evaluation is allocated to various continuous assessments such as quizzes, class tests, projects and oral presentations while the remaining 50% to the final exam.
From Theory to Application
- Holistic learning approach through the Integrated Science Project (ISP), which implements research skills and scientific concepts and balances learning outcomes with hands-on experimentation.
- Cultivate independent and confident learners through continuous assessments which encompass public speaking, group work and creativity.
Conducive Learning Environment
- Same access to the University’s facilities as undergraduate and postgraduate students, and able to contribute equally to the campus community.
- Exposure to latest developments in science and technology through workshops and talks by local and international academicians and industry leaders.
Reliable Support System
- First Year Experience (FYE) initiatives, such as motivational talks and peer-assisted study sessions, provide students the much-needed support to adjust to university life and excel in academic and extra-curricular activities.
Malaysia’s Best Foundation in Science Course to Study after SPM at Top MAHSA University
Ministry of Education Malaysia and accredited by MQA. MAHSA University’s track record has proven that students from the MAHSA Foundation programme have achieved higher success rates at the end of their first year of studies in MBBS, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Biomedical Science, Physiotherapy, Medical Imaging and other degree programmes. Therefore, taking the Foundation in Science at MAHSA University after your SPM or O-Levels would be the best choice.
Top students after SPM or O-Levels wanting a direct entry into MBBS, Dentistry & Pharmacy degree courses in Malaysia may go for the 1-year Foundation in Science at MAHSA University. SPM or O-Level students will need 5 Minimum grade B in Biology & Chemistry & Physics & Mathematics/Additional Mathematics and 1 other subject to enter these degree programmes.
Graduates of the Foundation in Science from MAHSA University are accepted into a wide range of programmes. MAHSA University is best known in Malaysia for their health science courses. MAHSA’s Foundation in science is a one-year programme that is specially designed for students who have successfully completed their Malaysian SPM, GCE O-level or equivalent. This one-year academic programme at MAHSA University is a fast track A-level equivalent, structured along three semesters of studies.
It is a well-balanced curriculum, designed in consultation with university partners, to ensure the successful integration of knowledge and skills, enabling a seamless transition into an undergraduate study of choice. It is designed to be both challenging and intensive, providing students with the knowledge and skills highly desirable by universities all over the world.
The curriculum concentrates on core modules of pure science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics) and integrate this with modules from humanities and general education (Psychology, English, Information Technology, Professional Development and basic lab skills). This is complemented by a range of other activities such as case studies, problem solving and project work.
Students will have plenty of contact with faculty staff for up to 20 hours of contact time per week and up to 3 hours per week of Student Success time. This will leave any remaining time for independent learning, researching and preparing for assessments, lectures and seminars. Assessments will take a variety of different forms allowing students to demonstrate a range of skills.
Graduates of the Foundation in Science from MAHSA University are accepted into a wide range of programmes such as Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Biomedical Science, Physiotherapy, Medical Imaging, Computer Science, Engineering, Accountancy and Business.
Entry into Top Degree Programmes after Foundation in Science at MAHSA University
Upon Completion of the Foundation in Science at MAHSA University, students can enter into the following programmes at MAHSA.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (Hons)
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Hons)
- Bachelor of Environmental Health and Safety (Hons)
- Bachelor of Medical Imaging (Hons) (Radiography)
- Bachelor of Accounting (Hons)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons)
- Bachelor of Hospital Management (Hons)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Mechatronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Electronic and Communication Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Medical Electronic Engineering
- Bachelor in Biomedical Sciences (Hons)
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Nursing
Top Foundation in Science (Engineering /Pure Science) at UOWM KDU Penang
The Foundation in Science program in UOW Malaysia KDU Penang University College, Batu Kawan equips students with the necessary fundamental knowledge to pursue their university studies. This flexible program ensures students are grounded with a strong grasp of core subjects, as well as a variety of other subjects to give them a broad-based educational platform. It also helps them to explore new methods and ideas, as well as skills and concepts, to encourage independent and critical thinking.
The Foundation in Science program at UOWM KDU Penang is a 1-year recognised Pre-University programme. It is accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Upon completion of the Foundation in Arts at UOWM KDU Penang, students may continue on to the degree programmes in Engineering, Computing or Information Technology (IT). In addition, students may enter into other private universities for degree programmes in health sciences such as Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Biomedical Science, Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, and others. It is also accepted for entry into pure science courses like Biotechnology, Food Science, Nutrition, Biochemistry, etc.
The Foundation in Science is a one-year program that provides students with 2 elective areas:
- Pure Science
- Engineering or IT or Computer Science
This Foundation in Science is an excellent pathway for students after SPM or IGCSE O-Levels into the engineering and computing programmes at UOWM KDU Penang.
- UK Dual Award BSc. (Hons) Mechatronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Bachelor of Software Engineering (Hons)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons)
- Bachelor of Information Systems (Hons)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) in Computer and Network Technology
Foundation in Science at HELP University Accepted by Top UK & Australian Universities
Choosing the right career at a tender age of 16 or 17 can be a daunting task. Many students are left with
the difficult task of making that choice without being sufficiently equipped with the necessary details to make an informed choice.
Bearing that in mind, the Foundation in Science Program at HELP University is designed to cater for the needs of the students taking into account the following considerations:
- To provide good quality Pre-University education that prepares the students to meet the demands of undergraduate study
- To incorporate a certain degree of flexibility where students can make their choice of selecting a discipline at a later stage rather than at the beginning of the course
- Subjects such as Study Skills and Critical Thinking Skills are added to give the students an edge over others
- Extracurricular activities as well as good pastoral care are emphasized to ensure that students obtain a holistic education
- To provide a conducive environment for study as well as to equip them with excellent facilities
There are 13 subjects (8 core + 5 elective) in the Foundation Programme at HELP University. The course has 3 semesters completed in a year. One semester is 14 weeks.
HELP’s Foundation in Science is accepted for direct entry into Engineering by the following universities:
(Chemical, Civil, Electrical & Electronic, Mechanical, Mechatronic)