Choose to Study at the Best Private Universities and Colleges in Malaysia for Design Courses
Designers and artists are creative people who use their skills to create visually appealing products. Designers also have to unite visual appeal with functionality and ease in manufacturing in the objects they design. Different kinds of designers design different products. To become a designer, you usually need a degree or diploma in the specific area of design you want to work in.
Therefore, choosing the best private college or university in Malaysia to study design is important as the best will help to develop the skills necessary for a success. Therefore, students should choose the best university or college for design to study at, so that you can gain the necessary skills from experienced lecturers in a personal setting for a successful career. The best universities and colleges for design in Malaysia should have the necessary design facilities to enhance their students’ capabilities and cultivate a creative mind. The list below are some of the best colleges and universities for design courses in Malaysia to help you in making the right choice.
Students should take note that just because a college is famous for one design course, it doesn’t mean that it is good for all other design courses. For example, just because the college is famous for animation, it doesn’t mean that it is good for interior design and fashion design. Therefore, you should research carefully to see which design course that the college or university is best for in Malaysia. There are many types of design courses in Malaysia such as graphic design, multimedia design, animation, interior design, fashion design and more. If you are sure of which design course, you may go for the diploma. If you are not sure, then go for the Foundation in Design.
You may also be interested to read the following articles:
- Top 10 Design Courses to Study in Malaysia
- Top 10 Design Colleges & Universities in Malaysia
- Job Demand for Creative Designers in Malaysia
- Top 5 Private Universities in Malaysia for Foundation in Design Course
- Top Design Diploma & Degree Courses from the Best Universities in Malaysia
- Top 10 Best Courses to Study at University in Malaysia
- Top 50 Jobs with High Future Demand in Malaysia
- 30 Jobs with Future High Demand & Salaries in Malaysia – Find Out so you can choose the Best Course to Study Now!
- Top 20 Courses to Study in Malaysia that has High Job Demand & Stable Salary
Do you have any questions for us on this article? Or need advise on choosing the right course and private university? If so, then please fill up the Enquiry Form below. Our team of experts will help you solve your queries at the earliest via WhatsApp.
Top Design Universities & Colleges in Malaysia
- Taylor’s University –
- Diploma in Interior Design
- Foundation in Design
- Foundation in Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Interior Architecture
- Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
- Bachelor in Fashion Design Technology (Hons)
- The One Academy –
- 3D Animation
- Multimedia Design
- Malaysian Institute of Art (MIA)
- First City University College
- Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Diploma in Design & Media
- BA (Hons) in Animation
- BA (Hons) in Digital Advertising
- BA (Hons) in Industrial Design
- BA (Hons) in Visual Effects
- BSc (Hons) in Multimedia Technology
- Bsc (Hons) In Multimedia Technology with a specialism in VR/AR
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Games Development
- Multimedia University (MMU) –
- Foundation in Creative Multimedia
- Diploma in 3D Modelling & Animation (Cyberjaya)
- Diploma in Digital Motion Graphic (Cyberjaya)
- B.Mm (Hons) Interface Design (Cyberjaya)
- B.Mm (Hons) Virtual Reality (Cyberjaya)
- B.Mm (Hons) Media Arts (Cyberjaya)
- B.Mm (Hons) Animation and Visual Effects (Cyberjaya)
- B.Mm (Hons) Advertising Design (Cyberjaya)
- Bachelor of Cinematic Arts (Hons)
- Saito University College
Education Pathway to a Design Degree after SPM or IGCSE/O-levels
Students with SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels qualifications may consider going directly for the Foundation in Design courses or a more general Foundation in Arts course before continuing on to the degree. The subjects in the Foundation course are general and would give you some time to decide which design course to choose for your degree such as multimedia design, graphic design, interior design, fashion design or animation.
If you are sure of which area of design you want to specialise in, then you may go for the diploma course for 2 years before entering into Year 2 of the related design degree course. Courses available for you to choose from would be diploma in graphic design, diploma in multimedia design, diploma in interior design, diploma in fashion design, etc.
Some universities would require you to submit a portfolio of your design work for evaluation for entry if you did not take a design subject in SPM or O-Levels.
How to Choose the Best Private University or College to Study Design in Malaysia
The best private universities and colleges in Malaysia have excellent facilities, years of experience running the design programme, strong student support services, internships and experienced lecturers.
They are also accredited by MQA and approved by the Malaysian Ministry of Education. The best private university or college in Malaysia will focus on quality, have award winners for the particular courses, years of experience offering the particular course, highly experienced lecturers, a good study environment, internships, good mix of international & local students, extra-curricular activities and good facilities. The SETARA ranking is a guide for students to assess the quality of a private university in Malaysia.
Awards won by the students would show the quality of the college and its lecturers who are able to train them to win.
When choosing a university and college in Malaysia, it is important for students to visit the campus and see the facilities and feel the culture of the students to see if it fits you. Look at the gallery to check out the design works of the students.
Talk to the lecturers and find out from the counsellors there about the courses and check if the courses have been accredited by MQA.
The environment should be one where students speak mostly in English so that you can improve your English and communication skills. If you are weak in English and choose a cheap university where the students speak mainly in Mandarin, it will be difficult for you to improve your English.
Common Factors in Choosing the Best Private University in Malaysia to Study
Here’s a list of common criteria in choosing a top private university in Malaysia:
- Diploma and degrees offered
- Subjects offered in the diploma or degree (Are they relevant, up-to-date, and help you to achieve your career goals)
- Accreditation by MQA and other relevant professional bodies in Malaysia
- Type of programme (local degree, 3+0 UK or Australian degree, 4+0 American degree, degree transfer programme, etc)
- Entry requirements (Branch campuses in Malaysia have higher entry requirements)
- Location of the university
- Size of the student population
- Student culture (English-speaking environment, ambitious, serious about studies, lifestyle or party university, etc)
- Public vs. Private (STPM is tougher and choice of course & university is determined by the government)
- Costs (tuition, hostel, food, transportation, etc.)
- Financial assistance (Scholarships, PTPN Loan, EPF withdrawal, MARA Loan, etc)
- Campus resources (labs, libraries, wifi, computer access, sports facilities, etc.)
- Internship and co-op programs
- Class size (Small class size for personal attention)
- Faculty contact/classes taught by full-time qualified & experienced faculty
- Quality/reputation/ranking of the private university in Malaysia
- Safety (campus, community)
- Make up of the student body (diversity, international students, gender, etc.)
- Extra-curricular activities (Student organisations, clubs, sports, etc.)
- Housing options (on-campus, off-campus apartments)
- Student support services
- Intake dates
Still not sure of where to study?
WhatsApp me at 01111408838 to find out more. I have more than 20 years experience working at top private universities and having counselled thousands of students, I will be able to guide you through your confusion and questions to help you make the right choice.
I will take you to visit the universities and colleges to talk to the lecturers as well as tour the campuses. Check out the design facilities and the work of their students. Explain to you about the design courses and the costs of studying.
Send me a message now to make an appointment that will change your life!