Top B.Eng. (Hons) Electronics Majoring in Optical at Award-Winning Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya is Accredited by EAC & MQA
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits in SPM or O-Levels may go for the Foundation in Engineering. Pre-University students with the relevant results in STPM, A-Levels, SAM, CPU, AUSMAT, etc. can enter directly into Year 1 of the B.Eng. (Hons) Electronics Majoring in Optical degree. Students may apply for PTPN Loan for the Foundation in Engineering and Degree. Upon completion of the Foundation, students can enter into Year 1 of the 4-year degree programme in Electronics Engineering Majoring in Optical that’s accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC) and MQA, and recognised by the Board of Engineering Malaysia (BEM).
In the 2017 QS World University Rankings by Subject again listed Multimedia University (MMU) as the No. 1 private university in Malaysia for “Electrical & Electronics Engineering”. Since 2015, MMU has been placed in the top 151-200 universities worldwide. Having won hundreds of awards, Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya is the top choice for students to study the best courses in Electrical and Electronics Engineering in Malaysia.
For more information on the top private universities and colleges in Malaysia, WhatsApp 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Multimedia University (MMU) Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) Electronics Majoring in Optical Course Information
The Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Electronics degree majoring in Optical Engineering programme at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya focuses on the design and development of the photonics and optoelectronic devices for the optical communication, solar cell, solid-state lighting, display, optical fibre and waveguide industries.
It was designed in response to the increasing market demand for local and global photonics and optoelectronics manufacturing activities, which will continue to increase and may become an important industry supported by Malaysian expertise and infrastructure in the electronics packaging industry.
In course of the four years of the programme, Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya engineering students will learn from basic electronics, digital logic design, microcontroller/processors, computer programming language, circuit and signal analysis to computer networking and data communications. In addition, students will also gain knowledge in specialised subject related to the optical engineering such as the laser technology, optical waveguides, optoelectronics devices, optical communications systems, optical metrology and testing, fabrication and packaging technology, optical signal processing, solid-state lighting and photovoltaic devices and systems.
Other subjects include mathematics, economics, accounting and Malaysian law. The optical engineering programme is also designed to provide students with opportunities to undergo practical training in the industry and to obtain research experience through graduation projects.
Accreditation and Recognition of Multimedia University (MMU) Engineering Programmes
The Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Electronics degree majoring in Optical Engineering programme at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC) and recognised by the Board of Engineers (BEM) Malaysia.
This undergraduate programme was developed to support industry’s needs specifically in the area of electronics, photonics, laser technology, photovoltaic systems, optical fibre technology, optical communication systems, solid-state (LED) lighting technology, display technology, electronics and optoelectronics packaging technology.
In view of that, students will undertake subjects related to basic electronics, digital logic design, circuit and signal analysis, computer programming, power systems and machines, microprocessor systems and interfacing, and computer networking and data communications.
Students of this major will also take specialised subjects exclusive to this programme such as laser technology, optical waveguides, optoelectronics devices, optical communications systems, optical metrology and testing, fabrication and packaging technology and optical signal processing.
Year 1 Subjects for the B.Engineering (Hons) Electronics Majoring in Optical at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Electronics 1
- Circuit Theory
- Field Theory
- Computer and Program Design
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Electronics 2
- Introduction to Machines and Power Systems
- Algorithm and Data Structure
- Instrumentation and Measurement Techniques
- Digital Logic Design
- Electronics 3
Year 2 Subjects for the B.Engineering (Hons) Electronics Majoring in Optical at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
- Engineering Mathematics 3
- Microcontroller and Microprocessor Systems
- Circuits and Signals
- Electromagnetic Theory
- Computer Organization and Architecture
- Advanced Microprocessors
- Fundamental of Optics
- Physical Electronics
- Engineering Mathematics 4
- Control Theory
Year 3 Subjects for the B.Engineering (Hons) Electronics Majoring in Optical at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
- Analog and Digital
- Optoelectronic Devices
- Fabrication and Packaging
- Digital Signal Processing
- Optical Metrology and
- Capstone Project
- Industrial Training
Year 4 Subjects for the B.Engineering (Hons) Electronics Majoring in Optical at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
- Optical Communication Systems
- Optical Waveguide and Devices
- Laser Technology and Applications
- Data Communications and Computer Networking
- Optical Signal Processing
- Photovoltaic Devices and Systems
- Solid State Lighting
- Multimedia Technology and Applications
Career Prospects for Graduates from the Optical Engineering Degree at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
Technical or managerial leadership role in electronics engineering specialised in optical engineering or in any field benefiting from their engineering knowledge, such as electronics, computer engineering, semiconductors, optical communications, optoelectronics, laser technology, photovoltaic, solid-state lighting, research and academics.
Award-Winning Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya is the Best Choice for Top Students to Study Electrical & Electronic Engineering in Malaysia
Multimedia University (MMU) is the first private university in Malaysia and is ranked top in the world having won many awards and accolades. Established in 1996, MMU marked Malaysia’s foray into a new economy. With more than 15,000 students, the university has campuses in Cyberjaya, Melaka and Johor.
In 2009, MMU was ranked at 171 by THES-QS in the Asian University Rankings, the first private university in Malaysia to achieve such a feat. The 2017 QS World University Rankings by Subject again listed MMU as the No. 1 private university in Malaysia for “Electrical & Electronics Engineering”.
Since 2015, MMU has been placed in the top 151-200 universities worldwide by QS World University Rankings by subject Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
In 2017 – Multimedia University (MMU) Faculty of Engineering earns four (4) accolades from the global professional association, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).These are among the hundreds of awards & achievements of the engineering students and staff at Multimedia University (MMU) showing that MMU is the best private university in Malaysia for engineering.
The Faculty of Engineering teaching staff at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya have at least a Master for lecturers, at least 2nd Class Upper Bachelor degree for tutors in MMU. About 80% Multimedia University (MMU) engineering tutors has 1st class and 35% lecturers with PhD.
The engineering programmes in MMU are accredited by the Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA) and the Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC) as well as recognised by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM).
Hence, MMU’s engineering graduates can readily seek employment or be admitted into top international universities for postgraduate studies. More than 40% of MMU’s engineering graduates secure jobs before completion of studies while more than 96% of them secure jobs within 6 months after graduation.
Multimedia University (MMU) has some of the best teaching labs among private universities in Malaysia. Students have the opportunity to experience for themselves the various principles of engineering in action through the numerous hands-on experiments. There are also various activities conducted in collaboration with the industry that expose students to real world challenges that require innovative engineering solutions.
MMU’s strong partnerships with global industry players that include Fortune 500 companies have led to the establishment of state-of-the-art research and teaching facilities such as Intel Advanced Architecture Lab, Panasonic Computing Lab, Huawei Digital Lifestyle and Innovation Centre and Motorola Wireless Broadband Technology Lab.
Multimedia University (MMU) has a vibrant Student engineering society and professional engineering student chapters such as The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM) as well as ‘Multimedia University Engineering Society Overseas Research Programme'(MESCORP) for students to grow in leadership and soft-skills, as MMU recognises the growing importance of these human aspects of what engineers do.
In line with the Multimedia University (MMU)’s vision to be a leading engineering faculty in Malaysia for creation, preservation and dissemination of knowledge, MMU lecturers/professors/researchers at Faculty of Engineering has never failed to actively engage themselves in the forefront R&D activities for the creation of new knowledge and technology where scientific findings are presented and published in various reputable international conferences, and prestigious journals of international standing.
MMU also enjoys great support and close research collaborations with some top names in the industries in Malaysia such as Intel, NTT, Nokia, National Semiconductor, Motorola, Matsushita, Ericsson, Agilent , coupled with the constant arrangement of invited lecture series that brings renowned engineers and scholars to MMU from across the world, has helped MMU to ensure the multi-skilled engineering graduates they produce stay relevant to the fast changing industry trends and needs.
The Best Reasons to Study Electrical & Electronic Engineering at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
- Curriculum have been endorsed by panel of international experts from top universities such as Pennsylvania State University, University of Texas at Arlington, National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, etc.
- More than 40% of academic staff graduated from top international universities such as University of Edinburgh, University of Sheffield, University of Surrey, etc.
- In addition to academic qualifications, academic staff also have industry experiences, with more than 35% of them possessing professional certifications such as Professional Engineer, or Chartered Engineer
- Consistent graduate employability rate of 97-98% every year
- Graduate Employment Survey conducted by MAEI (Malaysian American Electronics Industry) companies including Intel, Motorola, and AMD indicate that these companies prefer our MMU engineering graduates
- More than 10 industry-sponsored labs – one of the highest among private engineering faculties in Malaysia
- Industry partners co-develop curriculum
- More than 200 R&D collaborations with universities, industries, government bodies etc.
- One of the very few Malaysian private universities that actively collaborates with industries in the Living Lab (previously known as Digital Home & Lifestyle Lab)
- First university to offer programmes in fast growing industries such as Nanotechnology and Photonics
- Early adopter of latest technology in the industry
Multimedia University (MMU) Faculty of Engineering (Cyberjaya)
Established in 1997 alongside the founding of MMU, an estimated 5000 students have passed through the faculty’s doors and successfully graduated as engineering professionals, the Faculty of Engineering (FOE) at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya will continue to spearhead innovation and creativity in the field of engineering well into the future through quality engineering programmes.
Sprawled over 808,440 square metres and housing 28 academic and support buildings, the Cyberjaya campus is home to the Faculty of Engineering. It is MMU’s second campus and hosts about 6,600 students inclusive of 1,085 international students.
- Foundation in Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) Electrical
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) Electronics
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) Electronics Majoring in Telecommunications
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) Electronics Majoring in Computer
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) Electronics Majoring in Nanotechnology
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) Electronics Majoring in Optical Engineering
Multimedia University (MMU) Engineering Degrees are Accredited by the Board of Engineers Malaysia and MQA
MQA (Malaysian Qualifications Agency), Institute of Engineers Malaysia (IEM), and Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM). MQA and BEM are government bodies and IEM is a professional body. In October 2000, MQA, BEM, and IEM form the Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC) as a one-stop centre for Engineering degree accreditation in Malaysia. All Courses conducted in MMU have been approved by EAC and LAN.
In each country, there is a professional engineering body that decides whether it wants to accept foreign engineers or not. Examples of the professional bodies are, in
|Malaysia||The Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM),|
|USA||Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)|
|Canada||Canadian Council of Professional Engineers (CCPE)|
|South Africa||Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA)|
|UK||Engineering Council of the United Kingdom (EC)|
|Hong Kong||Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE)|
|Australia||Institution of Engineers, Australia (IEAust)|
|New Zealand:||Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ)|
|Ireland:||Institution of Engineers of Ireland (IEI)|
The Malaysian Engineering Accreditation Council has recently been accepted as a probationary signatory of the Washington Accord, which is a forum where signatory members recognize each other’s engineers to realize the global mobility of engineers. So far USA, UK, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, and Ireland are signatories in the Washington Accord, while Germany, Malaysia, Japan, and Singapore are probationary signatories.
Multimedia University (MMU) Engineering Facilities & Labs at the Faculty of Engineering Cyberjaya Campus
FOE has more than 20 modern well-equipped teaching laboratories. The labs are used for engineering experiments and student projects. Research labs are also opened to students participating in various research projects undertaken by the faculty. Some of the FOE teaching labs are:
- Wave Radiation Lab – research related to wave radiation and electromagnetic waves.
- Nanotechnology Lab – teaching and R&D related to nanotechnology and nano-electronics.
- Optical Labs 1 & 2 – undergraduate lab experiments in the field of optical engineering.
- Project Labs 1, 2 & 3 – experiments related to final year projects.
- Intel Multi-Core Processing Lab – research and teaching related to microprocessor multicore
technology and parallel processing training/curriculum.
- Microprocessor Lab – experiments related to advanced microprocessors and microcontrollers.
- Multimedia Computing Lab – general computing needs and lab experiments that require the use of MATLAB, ERACS and various other multimedia software.
- Panasonic Lab – experiments related to VLSI design, computer networking and architecture simulation.
- Control and Automation Lab – experiments related to industrial electronics, robotics and instrumentation systems. Also supports experiments related to microelectronics, digital logic design and field theory.
- Machine and Drive Lab – experiments in energy conversion, machines, drives and other power related subjects.
Energy System Lab – experiments related to power and energy systems.
- Embedded System & DSP Lab – teaching and R&D related to embedded systems and digital signal processing.
- Electronics Labs 1 & 2 – experiments related to analog and digital electronic systems.
- Intel Advanced Architecture Lab – general computing needs and experiments related to computer architecture.
- Multimedia Design Lab – general computing needs and work related to development of multimedia software.
- PCB Workshop – to fabricate printed circuit boards (PCB) for their projects.
- Telecommunications Lab – experiments in the field of telecommunication that includes fixed line communication, mobile communication and satellite communication.
- Applied Electromagnetic Lab – experiments and research related to antenna, propagation, radar and microwave devices.
- Intel Microelectronics Lab – IC design and RF courses, as well as for research in the area of integrated circuit design, RF, and network processor.
- Alcatel Lab, Nokia Lab, and NTT Research Lab – R&D work.
Job Prospects in Malaysia and Globally for Engineering Graduates from Multimedia University (MMU)
Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) Electronics Majoring in Optical Engineering.
This major focuses on the design and development of photonics & optoelectronic devices for the visual, telecommunication, solar and display industries. Examples of engineering position for graduate in B.Eng Electronics Majoring in Optical Engineering (OPE) include Application Engineer, Technical Marketing Engineer, Research & Development Engineer, Test Development Engineer, AOI Specialist Product Engineer, Quality & Reliability Engineer, Process Engineer and Field Engineer. This highly revolutionary major produces graduates demanded by the advanced electronics industry, and some employers of our graduates include Agilent, Altera, Avago, Flextronics, Halliburton, Infineon, Intel, National Instruments, National Semiconductor, OSRAM, Pentamaster, Philips Lumined, Silterra, Sony, Telekom Malaysia, TTVision, Vistapoint, Vitrox Tech etc.
Entry Requirements for the Engineering Programmes at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya and Melaka
Foundation in Engineering Entry Requirements
- Pass SPM / O Level or its equivalent with minimum of grade C in at least five (5) subjects, inclusive of English, Mathematics and one Engineering-related subject.
- Pass UEC with minimum of grade B in at least four (4) subjects inclusive of Mathematics, English and one Engineering-related subject.
- Other equivalent qualification recognised by the Malaysian Government
Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering & Diploma in Telecommunication Engineering Entry Requirements
- Pass SPM/O-level or its equivalent with minimum of grade C in at least four (4) subjects, inclusive of Mathematics and one Science / Engineering subject and a pass in English
Pass UEC with minimum of grade B in at least three (3) subjects inclusive of Mathematics, and one Science subject
- Pass certificate in a related field from a recognised institution.
Engineering Degree Entry Requirements
- Pass Foundation / Matriculation in related field from a recognised institution
- Pass STPM / A Level or its equivalent with 3 principals inclusive of Mathematics and Physics
- Pass Diploma in related field from a recognised institution
- Pass UEC with minimum of grade B in at least five (5) subjects inclusive of Mathematics and Physics
Multimedia University (MMU) Faculty of Engineering Cyberjaya is an Award-Winning University in Malaysia
Multimedia University (MMU) was awarded the Premier Digital Tech University status by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), in recognition of its achievements and dedication in offering top-notch digital technology courses, and in doing so ensuring the continued supply of highly-skilled graduates needed by the digital economy locally and globally.
Multimedia University (MMU) is ranked 179th in Asia according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University rankings for 2018. The 2017 QS World University Rankings by Subject again listed MMU as one of the highest ranked private universities in Malaysia for Electrical & Electronics Engineering and Computer Science & Information Systems.
In 2009, MMU was ranked at 171 by THES-QS in the Asian University Rankings, the first private university in Malaysia to achieve such a feat. From 2015-2017 MMU has been ranked top 151-200 worldwide by QS World University Rankings by subject Electrical and Electronics Engineering. MMU is ranked 151-200 by QS World University Ranking 2014 & 2017 in the category of Computer Science and Information systems.
In 2012, for Communication and Media Studies. Also, two of MMU’s engineering professors have been named Top Research Scientists Malaysia by the Academy of Sciences Malaysia.
MMU was rated tier 5 (Excellent) in the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education SETARA Rating in 2010, 2011 & 2013. This is the highest rating achieved by all institutions. About 290 of Multimedia University lecturers possess a Phd qualification. Every year, more than 97 per cent of Multimedia University (MMU) graduates are able to secure employment within six months of graduating.
For a list of all the awards won in the engineering and technology field, please click here.