Best Private Universities in Malaysia for Petroleum Engineering Degree
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
Students after SPM, O-Levels, UEC, STPM or A-Levels who want an exciting career that pays one of the highest salaries in the world can go for petroleum engineering.
The field of engineering is very wide and even though they all tend to have some very strong science based foundation, they also do vary greatly in terms of training requirements, job opportunities and salaries in Malaysia and globally.
Petroleum Engineers are highly sought after in Malaysia and throughout the world. Using a variety of chemical tests, rock samples and numerous measurements; this field is very critical when determining where exploration wells are located. Salaries for petroleum engineers are one of the highest in Malaysia.
Students after SPM or O-Levels can enter into a Foundation in Science or Foundation in Engineering at the best private universities in Malaysia for 1 year before continuing on to the 4-year BEM Accredited Petroleum Engineering degree. Pre-University graduates in Malaysia from programmes such as UEC, STPM, A-Levels, SAM, CPU, AUSMAT and others may enter directly into the Petroleum Engineering degree providing they meet the minimum entry requirements.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Study Petroleum Engineering at BEM Accredited Private Universities in Malaysia
Petroleum engineering is the exact study of how to initially locate and subsequently extract a variety of energy resources such as natural gas and oil from the earth’s surface. In simple terms, it is an engineering field that’s basically concerned with a wide range of activities which are generally related to the extraction and refining of fossil fuels.
It is worth mentioning at this stage that both exploration and production are usually considered to fall within the upstream sector in the gas and oil industry. Petroleum engineering is more concerned with the exploration bit and is more inclined towards maximizing the economic recovery of a variety of hydrocarbons from the subsurface reservoirs.
Another area of focus for this field of engineering is on the actual estimation of the recoverable volumes of any hydrocarbons present. Engineers do this by using their highly detailed understanding of the physical behavior of gas, water and oil within a variety of porous rocks at very high pressure levels.
The field of petroleum engineering does determine, throughout the entire life cycle of hydrocarbons; its overall accumulation and most importantly, how the reservoir is depleted and developed over a period of time. Due to this fact, petroleum engineering tends to have the biggest impact on field economics for those doing the actual exploration.
The principles of petroleum engineering are also applied to the development and subsequent maintenance of processing plants and refineries so as to ensure that the oil or gas extracted is not only properly handled but also handled in a safe and secure manner so as to minimize instances of accidents and other mishaps.
Areas of Specialization in Petroleum Engineering
The field of Petroleum engineering does produce a variety of engineers who specialize in a particular area of expertise. These areas of expertise are broadly categorized as Reservoir Engineering, Drilling Engineering, Production Engineering and Completion Engineering.
Drilling engineering does produce Drilling Engineers who are the specialists relied upon to determine the best way of drilling a gas or oil well. They do take into consideration a variety of factors such as cost, safety and overall efficiency. They also ensure that the entire process of drilling has very little effect on the environment.
Reservoir Engineering is concerned with the estimation of how much gas or oil can be recovered from the noted reservoirs or underground deposits. They study the characteristics of the reservoir and come up with ways of getting the most gas or oil out of the reservoir. They also go ahead to monitor the requisite operations so as to ensure that the optimum levels of the fossil fuels are recovered at any given time.
Production engineering is concerned with monitoring the production of gas and oil from a well and these engineers usually take over once the building of a well has been completed. In case the well is not producing enough fuel, these engineers are tasked with figuring out how to increase the amount to be extracted.
Completion engineering is concerned with deciding on the most optimal way to complete building a well so as to allow for the easy flow of the extracted fuel from underground. This field of engineering does oversee the well completion works which normally does involve the use of techniques such as hydraulic fracturing, tubing and other pressure control methods.
What do Petroleum Engineers do?
This field of high level expertise does require some solid knowledge of a wide variety of other disciplines such as petroleum geology, geophysics, reservoir simulation, formation evaluation, well engineering, reservoir engineering and artificial lift systems amongst a host of other disciplines. Due to the inherent complexity of this field of engineering, it does require deep seated knowledge of computer science, mathematics, engineering and geology.
Well trained professionals in this field are usually employed in a variety of jobs which can broadly be categorized as those working to enhance the safety conditions of people working in wells and those who do the actual geological scouting for fossil fuels.
Petroleum engineering is a very well paying profession even though it does require some significant training which may take anything from five to ten years. Most petroleum engineers will spend a minimum of five years pursuing science based, mathematics and engineering bachelor degrees.
Due to the scarcity of oil resources, there is a growing demand for these engineers to help in the process of finding additional sources of fossil fuels and the improvement of present extraction techniques so as to minimize costs and maximize the amount of fuels extracted from the ever more difficult extraction locations.
Study at the Best Universities in Malaysia for Petroleum Engineering
If you want to become a petroleum engineer, first & foremost you should collect relevant information to help your decision making. Since there are so many universities for Petroleum Engineering, you will surely find it hard to select the right university that best suits your individual goals.
It is important to find an accredited university with an English-speaking student environment that can deliver quality education along with employment prospects.
Asia Pacific University (APU) is a top award-winning technology private university in Malaysia and offers the Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Petroleum Engineering to its list of BEM accredited engineering degree programmes.
Students in Malaysia can consider an affordable and yet high quality of education in petroleum engineering, students can consider UCSI University at Kuala Lumpur. UCSI University is ranked Excellent or Tier 5 in the SETARA rating. UCSI University is famous for their engineering courses and has more than 28 years of experience in higher education in Malaysia. Students at UCSI University have access to excellent facilities and their unique internship program for 2 months of each year of studies. The Petroleum Engineering degree course at UCSI University is accredited by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM).
Petroleum Engineering Degree at the Top Ranked Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Students can now obtain the best of British education in Malaysia at a fraction of the cost. Furthermore, students may transfer to the UK for the final year or for the Masters with a 20% tuition fee rebate.
The Petroleum Engineering programme at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia will allow you to undertake a wide range of technical and managerial careers across the sector, e.g. reservoir analysis and simulation studies, drilling production patterns, estimation of petroleum reserves, design and implementation of oil field production, construction, commissioning, operation, management to specialist consultancy and advanced research and development.
The degree programme will help you to cultivate the ability to apply your skills to real, practical engineering problems and deepen your understanding of petroleum engineering principles through problem solving, projects and assignments. Students interested in registering at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, please go to this link.
Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) Petroleum Engineering at the Award-Winning Asia Pacific University (APU) in Malaysia
The 4-year Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) Petroleum Engineering Degree programme at the Top Ranked Asia Pacific University in Malaysia is specifically designed to provide:
- Petroleum Engineering is a unique programme that combines petroleum, gas and exploration engineering to cater for the ever-demanding oil and gas industry. Our programme prepares individuals to apply engineering principles to the design, development and operation of systems for locating, extracting, processing and refining crude petroleum and natural gas, including mining and drilling systems, processing and refining systems and facilities, storage facilities, transportation systems, and related environmental and safety systems. Students’ understanding on theoretical component is further enhanced with hands on sessions in our laboratory and we also prepare students with psychomotor skills, critical thinking skills and good communication skills.
- Careers span the range of fields which are normally covered by mechanical and industrial engineering. Roles of a Petroleum Engineer includes developing skills in examining geologic and engineering data to determine sources of crude oil and gas, examining the quality and quantity of the product, separation of crude oil into different elements, etc.
Petroleum Engineering Degree Programme Outcomes at Asia Pacific University
- Be working as a practicing professional engineer in the field of Petroleum Engineering.
- Have progressed in their Petroleum Engineering careers or other chosen profession and/or are engaged in advanced studies in Petroleum Engineering or other related fields.
Petroleum engineers travel to where petroleum reservoirs are known to exist. They define and develop the reservoirs, and produce oil and gas with maximum profitable recovery. Petroleum engineering allows one to specialize in several different oil & gas specialties, each with its own unique challenges and
rewards. The careers and job activity areas are as a:
- Drilling engineer, working with geologists and contractors in designing and supervising drilling operations.
- Production engineer, developing processes and equipment to optimize oil and gas production.
- Reservoir engineer and help determine ideal recovery processes, estimate the number of wells that can be economically drilled, and simulate future performance using sophisticated computer models.
- Manager, an entrepreneur, economist, or environmental/safety specialist.
Programme Outcomes for the BEng. (Hons) Petroleum Engineering Degree at Asia Pacific University
The students, upon completion of their study, should attain the following outcomes:
- Ability to gain and apply basic principles of Mathematics, Science and Engineering.
- Ability to identify engineering problems and apply basic engineering principles to solve them.
- Ability to recognize and apply suitable tools and techniques for engineering practical applications.
- Ability to investigate complex engineering problems using research techniques.
- Ability to design solutions for complex engineering problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally.
- Ability to comprehend and demonstrate current good practices of engineering for sustainable development.
- Ability to practice safety, health, social, cultural, legal and environmental responsibilities as an engineer.
- Ability to execute the responsibilities of an Engineer professionally and ethically.
- Ability to function effectively as an individual or in a team.
- Ability to recognize the need for, and be able to engage in independent and life-long learning.
- Ability to demonstrate and apply the knowledge and understanding of engineering management principles.
Top Rated Petroleum Engineering Degree Accredited by Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) at UCSI University
The Petroleum Engineering degree programme at UCSI University is designed to equip students with a solid foundation and knowledge on oil and gas exploration, development, as well as on the processes starting from production to completion. The Petroleum Engineering degree course at UCSI University encompasses a well-balanced curriculum that focuses on both upstream and downstream industries.
It covers a wide range of subjects that include mathematics, basic sciences, computing, introductory engineering, geology and petrophysics, drilling engineering, reservoir engineering, production engineering, economic and project management, as well as humanities and social sciences. Special features of the programme are:
- Commercial reservoir simulation software is used for teaching and learning
- Reservoir engineering includes elements of rocks and fluids properties, enhanced oil recovery and natural gas engineering
- Oil and gas production operation includes well completion, diagnosis and treatment
- Field trips to the oil and gas industry, geological study
- Laboratories to study drilling, rock and fluids properties
- Field development project
- Final year research and development project