List of the Best Universities in Malaysia to Study Software Engineering
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
Computer software engineers, or software developers, design and develop software applications or computer systems. The types of software that computer software engineers create, test, and evaluate include business applications, network control systems, operating systems, databases, middleware, and computer games. Software engineers may use a variety of programming languages. To work as a software engineer, students should pursue at least a bachelors degree from a top private university. Courses in a computer science undergraduate program may include computer fundamentals, data structures, principles of programming languages, software engineering, and computer architecture.
Choosing a university that excels in software engineering will provide you with access to more specialised opportunities, including custom-built facilities such as computer labs with lots of expensive software and internships opportunities with top companies. Choosing the best university for your studies in Malaysia is important as it will help to shape your mind, character and help you to develop the necessary skills for a successful career. Therefore, studying at a top private university for computer software programming will enhance your chances immensely.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
List of Top Private Universities to Study Software Engineering in Malaysia
Choosing to study computer software programming is one of the best choices as it has many plus points and is one of the highest paying jobs in Malaysia. A top private university would equip you with the necessary IT knowledge and skills to secure the job and achieve high paying salaries. When choosing a university to study software engineering, look at the rankings, awards, lecturers’ experience, curriculum, student environment, internships and employability. Here is a list of top universities for you to consider:
- Taylor’s University
- University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus
- Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
- Monash University Malaysia
- KDU University College Utropolis Glenmarie
- First City University College
- KDU Penang University College
- UCSI University
- HELP University
Who Should Study Software Engineering?
Students interested in a career in computer software engineering needs to have analytical skill, problem-solving, teamwork and communication skills as well as creativity and attention to detail; familiarity with database management, development environment, program testing and other related software.
Students should be good in Mathematics and possess at least a Credit in SPM or O-Levels for Maths. Students should have a strong interest in programming and lots of patience in creating a programme.
What is Software Engineering?
Software Engineering is an Engineering profession concerned with the processes, methods, and tools for the design and development of high quality, reliable software systems. This involves the study and application of software specification, design, implementation, testing, and documentation of software. Target systems may range from simple software applications to mission-critical real-time systems.
Software Engineering includes the design and implementation of specific, reliable, efficient and secure software systems for a multitude of purposes. Of course, you also have to be able to write or code software if you are going to be able to build the systems around it. ‘Software’ are the programs that we all use on our computers – but Software Engineering goes so much deeper than that. Software engineers usually design a program to fulfil a certain need or solve a problem. Every time you use your email, or an app on your smartphone or a computer accounting system you are using software.
Software Engineering is concerned with the design and implementation of reliable and secure software systems, which have the functionality required for the intended purpose. Software Engineering is also sometimes referred to as “software programming”. Software Engineering is a booming industry with no shortage of opportunities to create unique and life changing programs.
Career Opportunities for Malaysian Software Engineering Graduates
Even companies that have been associated largely with hardware in the past estimate that 80-90% of their engineers are involved in software development. As a consequence of this rapid expansion there is a serious worldwide shortage of software engineers who are able to deal with the complexity of developing high-quality software systems.The software industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world with work opportunities in many areas including, but not limited to, telecommunications, defence, electronics and, of course, software development and computing. With a Software Engineering degree, you will be qualified to design, program and create software for literally anything you can think of.
Given the ubiquitous nature of software in modern society, software engineers can find employment opportunities in many areas. These will include, but will not be limited to, the computing, software, electronics, telecommunications, security and defence industries.
Organisations in Malaysia are already reinventing themselves to embrace digitisation, so it comes as no surprise that this field is observing – now and in the future – a steady and strong demand. Software development, data centres, big data analytics and cloud computing are rapidly developing areas. Digital or IT-related jobs, including content creators, data scientists and IT professionals will continue to stay in demand for the next decade.
According to Hays, the increasing threat of cyber security has created huge demand for security experts who can safeguard the IT systems of organisations against malicious cyber-attacks. And, with a growing number of large-scale cyberattacks including the global WannaCry ransomware which infected more than 300,000 computers in 150 countries this year, it’s no surprise that cybersecurity experts are high in demand.
The Pikom Job Market Outlook in Malaysia 2017 report found that professionals in the industries mentioned were paid an average of RM8,952 per month, last year. Pikom (The National ICT Association of Malaysia) is targeting a 6.7% growth for the average monthly salary of IT professionals this year, bringing it to RM9,056, which is more than double the amount in 2007. It is heartening to note that looking at a 10-year period, the ICT industry average monthly salary has doubled since 2007.
In 2014, employees who remained in-role received salary increases between 5-10%, while those who moved organisations received between 15-25%. We expect this trend to continue in 2015 – potentially rising further for e-commerce professionals who will be in demand as organisations set-up IT hubs in Malaysia.
A career in Software Engineering in Malaysia can be rewarding with a high job demand for qualified and trained professionals. Salary for software engineers is one of the top in Malaysia. Students should choose the best software engineering course to study in Malaysia and at a top university.
Critical Occupations List (COL) Malaysia
The Critical Occupations List (COL) identifies the jobs most in demand in key sectors of the economy, and for which industries may be facing shortages or difficulties in hiring.
It is developed by the Critical Skills Monitoring Committee (CSC), which is jointly led by TalentCorp and the Institute of Labour Market Information and Analysis (ILMIA). The input of the CSC would be used as part of the proposed Human Capital Council to be chaired by the Prime Minister to coordinate the Government’s human capital policies.
It has identified Information Communications Technology jobs as one of the Critical Occupations and the list of positions needed are below:
Information and Communications Technology (ICT) & Global Business
Services (GBS) Sector
- Software Developers
- Applications Programmers
- Accounting Associate Professionals
- Information and Communications Technology (ICT) User Support Technicians
- Graphic and Multimedia Designers
- Electronic Engineers
- Personnel and Career Professionals
- Computer Network Professionals
- Software and Application Developers and Analysts Not Elsewhere Classified
- System Administrators
- Information and Communications Technology Services Managers
- Mathematicians, Actuaries and Statisticians
- Manufacturing Professionals
- Financial Analysts
- Systems Analysts
- Administrative Managers
PERMANENT SALARY PER YEAR MYR (RM) For Information Technology (IT) Professionals in Malaysia for 2015 According to Robert Walters Salary Survey
ERP/Business Application Professionals Average Salary Per Year in RM in 2015 (Malaysia)
- SAP Consultant 100 – 240k
- Consultant – Functional 100 – 216k
- Business Analyst Manager 96 – 180k
- Consultant – Technical 75 – 120k
- Application Support Analyst 50 – 96k
IT Security, Risk and Control Professionals Average Salary Per Year in RM in 2015 (Malaysia)
- IT Security Analyst 100 – 144k
- IT Auditor 85 – 120k
Management Positions in Information Technology (IT) Average Salary Per Year in RM in 2015 (Malaysia)
- Chief Technology Officer 350 – 540k
- IT Director 280 – 420k
- IT Program Manager 216 – 300k
- Project Manager 210 – 360k
- Service Delivery Manager 120 – 280k
Software Development Professionals Average Salary Per Year in RM in 2015 (Malaysia)
- Development Manager 120 – 216k
- Solution Architect 120 – 192k
- Test Manager 120 – 156k
- C++ Software Engineer 85 – 120k
- Java/J2EE Software Engineer 85 – 144k
- .Net/C# Software Engineer 85 – 132k
- Software Developer 85 – 144k
- ABAP 60 – 120k
Systems Administration Professionals Average Salary Per Year in RM in 2015 (Malaysia)
- Infrastructure Manager 120 – 240k
- Infrastructure Team Leader 85 – 144k
- Voice/Network Engineer 60 – 108k
- IT Business Analyst 65 – 108k
- Server Administrator 60 – 108k
- Database Administrator 60 – 84k
- Desktop Support Analyst 60 – 72k
- Help Desk Support Analyst 48 – 60k
NB: Figures are basic salaries exclusive of benefits/bonuses unless othe
Average Salary of Computing IT graduates in Malaysia
According to the report done by Kelly Services on the Employment Outlook and Salary Guide 2012/2013, it lists the salaries earned by Malaysians in the IT field.
- Chief Technical Officers/Chief Information Officers with 12-18 yrs experience earns between RM18,000 – RM30,000 a month
- Project Directors with 12-18 yrs experience earns between RM12,000-RM25,000
- Service Delivery Directors with 12-18 yrs experience earns between RM12,000 -RM25,000
- Sales Directors with 12-18 yrs can earn between RM10,000- RM25,000
- Software Development Managers with a degree and 8-12 yrs can earn between RM9000 – RM15,000
- Lead Software Developer with a degree and 6-8 yrs experience providing guidance and expertise to team of Software Developers in designing programming solutions can earn between RM8500-RM12,000
- Solutions Architect (Senior) or Implementation & Technical Support Manager with 6-8 years experience earns between RM8000-RM12,000
- Unix Specialist with 6-8 yrs earns between RM6500-RM12,000
- Information Security Manager with 6-8 yrs experience gets RM8000-RM12,000
- Project Manager with 3-5 yrs experience can get between RM6500-RM10,000
- Software Sales Manager 4-6 yrs experience earns between RM6000-RM9000
- Business Consultant with 5-7 yrs experience earns between RM6000-RM9000
- Wintel Specialist with 4-8 yrs experience earns between RM5500-RM8500
- Senior Systems Engineer with 5 yrs experience earns between RM5500-RM8000
- IT Manager or SAP Consultants with 4-6 yrs experience earns between RM5500-RM8000
- Service Delivery Manager with 5-8 yrs experience can earn between RM5500- RM8000
- Systems Analyst with 3-5 yrs experience earns between RM5500-RM7000
- Problem & Change Management Specialist or ETL Developers with 3-5 yrs earns between RM5000- RM8000
- IT Marketing Manager with 4-6 yrs earns between RM4600-RM8000
- Security Analyst with 3-5 yrs experience earns between RM4500-RM8000
- Business Development Manager or BI Consultant or Websphere Application Developer with 3-5 yrs earns between RM5000-RM7500
- Solutions Architect (Junior) with 3-5 yrs experience can earn between RM5000-RM7000
- Inside Sales Manager with 4-5 yrs experience earns between RM5000-RM7000
- IT Supply Chain Manager with 3-5 yrs earns between RM4500-RM7500
- Account Manager with 3-5 yrs experience can earn between RM4500-RM5500
- Technical Writer with 3-5 yrs earns between RM4000-RM5500
- Database Administrator with 2-3 yrs experience earns between RM3800-RM5000
- Quality Assurance Specialist or Systems Programmer with 3-5 yrs experience earns between RM3800-RM 7000
- Billing Systems Engineer with 3-5 yrs experience earns between RM3800-RM5000
- Technical Consultant with 2-3 yrs experience earns between RM3500-RM5000
- Pre-sales Engineer with 2-3 yrs experience earns between RM3500-RM5200
- Systems Engineer with 2-3 yrs experience earns between RM3500-RM5000
- Unix / Linux OS Engineer with 2-3 yrs experience earns between RM3500-RM5000
- Java Developer with 1-3 yrs experience earns between RM3500-RM5000
- IT Procurement Specialist or Systems Programmer with 2-4 yrs experience earns between RM3500-RM5000
- Helpdesk Tech Support (foreign language expertise) or IT Trainers with 2-3 yrs experience can earn between RM4000-RM5000
- Programmer or Web Designer or Software Engineer or Analyst Programmer or Network Administrator with 2-3 yrs experience earns between RM3500-RM4500
- Channel Sales Specialist or Inside Sales Specialists or Help Desk Analyst with 2-3 yrs experience earns between RM3000-RM4500
- IT Marketing Communications Executive with 2-4 yrs can earn between RM2800-RM3800
- IT Administrator with a Diploma/Degree and 2-3 yrs experience can earn between RM2800-RM3500
- IT Executive with Diploma/Degree and 2 -3yrs experience can earn between RM3000-RM3500
- Automation Support Engineer with a Degree and 1-3 yrs experience can earn between RM3000-RM4500
- Technician with a Diploma and 1-3 yrs can earn between RM2300-RM4000