Study the Best Cyber Security Degree Course in Malaysia
A Top Private University in Cyber Security will Equip You with the Knowledge & Skills to Succeed in You Career
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
Cyber security professionals are increasingly in demand as businesses continue to battle the growing threat of cybercrime. The threats have become increasingly sophisticated making the need for qualified cybersecurity experts to grow exponentially in Malaysia. Therefore, the opportunity is great for students wanting to study cyber security.
Hence, there is an increasing demand for cybersecurity talent in Malaysia as the government looks to position Malaysia as one of the leading countries in Asean for cybersecurity resources. The cybersecurity industry is expected to enjoy “phenomenal growth” within the next few years. Furthermore, according to a Frost and Sullivan survey, the demand for cybersecurity-related jobs would hit 10,500 by 2020.
You might also be interested to read these:
- Top Universities in Malaysia Best for Computer Cyber Security Degree Course
- Job Demand & Salary for Cyber Security Specialists in Malaysia
- Fastest Pathway into Malaysia’s Top Private Universities to Study Computer Science or Software Engineering with the Foundation in Information Technology (IT)
- Top 20 Courses to Study in Malaysia that has High Job Demand & Stable Salary
- Malaysia’s 28 Top Jobs in Demand in Future with High Salaries
- Top 10 Degree Courses in Malaysia with Highest Starting Salaries
For more information on how to choose the right course with high job demand, contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Why You Should Choose a Top Private University to Study Cyber Security
It is important to choose the best university in Malaysia to study your Cyber Security degree in Malaysia so that you will gain the necessary knowledge and skills for a successful career in the competitive field of ICT.
While it can be difficult to choose between private universities or colleges in Malaysia offering the Cyber Security Degree Course, you will find that there are some key differences between them that can help you make the big decision in choosing the right one that fits you.
The best private universities and colleges in Malaysia have excellent facilities, years of experience running the Cyber Security degree course, strong student support services, internships and experienced lecturers.
A university degree in Cyber Security is no longer enough to secure a job in Malaysia. Employers in Malaysia are looking for individuals with multiple skill sets. Employers today expect their employees to be able to multitask and communicate well in the English language.
Top award-winning private universities such as Asia Pacific University (APU), Multimedia University (MMU), Taylor’s University and University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU offer some of the best Cyber Security degree programmes in Malaysia. They have many years of experience in education, excellent facilities, qualified & experienced lecturers, up-to-date syllabus, internships, high employability rate, and have won awards in Cyber Security.
What are the Entry Requirements to Study Cyber Security?
Students after SPM or O-Levels may go for the Foundation in Computing or Information Technology at top private universities in Malaysia for 1 year before continuing on to the 3-year Cyber Security or Computer Science degree. At least 5 credits including Maths are needed to enter the Foundation course.
With 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels including Maths, students may go for the 2-year Diploma in Information Technology, Diploma in Computer Studies or Diploma in Software Engineering and then enter into Year 2 of the Cyber Security or Computer Science degree.
Pre-University students with the relevant results in STPM, A-Levels, SAM, CPU, AUSMAT, etc. can enter directly into Year 1 of the Cyber Security or Computer Science degree at the best university in Malaysia. Foundation in Science programmes from premier private universities in Malaysia are also accepted for entry.
BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security Degree at Asia Pacific University (APU)
Asia Pacific University (APU), a top technology private university in Malaysia, has addressed these concerns while demonstrating the university’s strength in providing first-class education in the area of cyber security. As an all-rounded education provider, APU has world-class facilities, qualified academics, industry-relevant syllabus and strong partnerships. Furthermore, Asia Pacific University (APU), students will be trained to become qualified cyber security professionals who are ready to face challenges in the digital world through a wholesome experience.
Moreover, Asia Pacific University (APU) is an award-winning university for Computing in Malaysia having won hundreds of awards. In addition, they are also a Premier Digital Tech status university. Studying Cyber Security at Top Ranked Asia Pacific University is one of the best choices you can make as a student in Malaysia.
The BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security degree programme at the top ranked Asia Pacific University (APU) in Malaysia is specifically designed to provide with:
- The ability to develop technical knowledge, skills and background in the design and organisation of computer systems focusing on cyber security.
- The ability to critically evaluate design paradigms, languages, algorithms, and techniques used to develop complex software systems related to cyber security.
- The ability to evaluate and respond to opportunities for developing and exploiting new technologies and applications in cyber security.
Additionally, Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation (APU) has signed a MoU with Rocheston Ltd, a US-based cybersecurity training company, to set up the first Cyberthreats Intelligence Centre (CIC) in Malaysia to be based within a university campus.
The formation of this Cyberthreats Intelligence Centre represents a significant further development of APU’s existing state-of-the-art integrated Cybersecurity Talent Zone (CTZ) which was launched in 2018. This CTZ presently already comprises a NATO-standard Cyber Range and Security Operation Centre, APU’s CISCO Networking Academy, as well as centres for research and development for IoT and digital forensics
In Asia Pacific University (APU), there is a 300% employability rate for cybersecurity students, with them getting two or three job offers as cybersecurity professionals before they graduated.
Asia Pacific University (APU) is an award-winning university for Computing in Malaysia having won hundreds of awards. In addition, they are also a Premier Digital Tech status university. Studying Cyber Security at Top Ranked Asia Pacific University is one of the best choices you can make as a student in Malaysia.
Technologically Advanced Cyber Security Labs at Asia Pacific University (APU)
State-of-the-art infrastructure at APU’s CyberSecurity Talent Zone allows students to have real-life exposure within the university’s environment.
With the support of industry partners and Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC), APU continuously responds to the talent demand as they aspire to train and nurture “superheroes” of the digital space who will combat digital crimes and safeguard digital assets when they graduate.
Industry advisory panel consisting of experts from the cyber security field – CompTIA, ISACA, CSM, MDEC, TecForte, Cyber Test Systems, Cyber Intelligence and SecureKi – are involved in designing the curriculum at APU, ensuring the syllabus taught is up-to-date and relevant for students to change and improve the landscape of secure computing.
The full-fledged Cyber Threats Simulation and Response Centre (also known as Cyber Range) and Security Operations Centre (SOC) stream live monitoring data extracted from a database of cyber-attacks worldwide, providing a platform for hands-on practice when it comes to ethical hacking and incident response.APU also houses state-of-the-art infrastructure to complement the delivery of the curriculum.
In 2018, APU launched the nation’s first CyberSecurity Talent Zone, which is now home to military-grade real-time cyber security monitoring systems, research centres and simulation infrastructure to nurture global cybersecurity, networking and IoT talents of the future.
Based on real-time data, APU students learn to monitor, troubleshoot, investigate and escalate security breach issues. These experiences nurture security professionals who are ever-ready to join the cyber security workforce with their practical and technical exposure.
Malaysia’s Award-Winning Cyber Security University – Asia Pacific University (APU)
Asia Pacific University (APU) cyber security students have been excelling in local and international cyber-related competitions. In addition, APU has produced digital security superstars, who constantly outperform their peers at national and international level competitions.
Some notable achievements include the
- Top University Award at the KPMG Cyber Challenge 2018
- Champion of the Ernst & Young Asia-Pacific Global Hackathon 2019
- Three times champion at the F-Secure Intervarsity Cyber Security Challenge since 2016
- Cyber Heroes Challenge 2019 champion and Most Valuable Player (MVP) award
Bachelor of Information Technology (Honours) Security Technology at Multimedia University (MMU)
Multimedia University (MMU) offers the Bachelor of Information Technology (Honours) Security Technology course at its Faculty of Information Science and Technology for those pursuing a career in the security industry.
The dean, Associate Professor Dr Lau Siong Hoe, said the security technology programme is designed to develop knowledge and skills in security management and technologies necessary for employment in areas such as government and corporate security, strategic facilities security, private sector and retail security, and financial institutions and major security organisations.
“The course emphasises the functions and management of security technology in the protection of assets and is supported by appropriate studies in cyber law and ethics. Graduates of this course will be equipped for a career in the security industry. Potential career prospects include security auditor, security penetration tester, computer forensic investigator, software engineer, systems analyst and programmer.”
The three-year programme includes subjects such as Applied Cryptography, Information Theory, Password Authentication and Biometrics, Integrative Programming and Technologies, Ethical Hacking and Security Assessment, Malware and Intrusion Detection, and Digital Forensics.
“The majority of students at the faculty are enrolled in the Security Technology programme that provides a broad overview of the techniques of information security technology for safe communication and protection of data when storing or sending electronic data over the networked environment,” said Lau.
He highlighted that organisations are applying artificial intelligence (AI) to bolster cybersecurity and offer more protection against sophisticated hackers.
“In order to meet future industry demand, we are planning and integrating more AI-related subjects such as machine learning and deep learning to equip students with skills and knowledge to enhance conventional cybersecurity protocols.
“As the new generation of cyber attacks evolves over time and can be difficult to detect, cybersecurity solutions that apply AI approach by using data from prior cyber attacks to respond to newer but somewhat similar risk will help to remediate the situation.”
Having won hundreds of awards, Multimedia University (MMU) offers the best courses that’s affordable at its campus in Melaka, Malaysia. Students may apply for PTPTN Loan for the Foundation, Diploma & Degree courses at MMU.
Multimedia University (MMU) in Malaysia is ranked in the Top 300 QS World University Rankings in Computer Science and Information Systems, 2017. Multimedia University (MMU) is ranked 179th in Asia according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University rankings for 2018. Having won hundreds of awards, Multimedia University (MMU) offers the best courses in Information Technology in Malaysia. Therefore, it is undeniably the best university in Malaysia for students to study the Bachelor of Information Technology (Honours) (Security Technology).
Furthermore, 97% of Multimedia University (MMU) students are employed within six months of graduation.
UK Dual Award Computer Science (Computer Security & Forensics) Degree at Taylors University
The Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) programme at Taylor’s University specializing in computer security & digital forensics is designed to equip students with the knowledge and ability to secure computing systems and networks from malice or intrusions, such as viruses and hackers, as well as expose them to current and developing computer forensic technologies.
Taylor’s School of Computing & IT students will learn how to design and create computer systems to curb malicious users from causing damage to the system, and focus on studying the whole security life cycle covering the identification of risks and threats, testing of security measures and responses required if security measures fail. Through the Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) (Computer Security & Forensics) programme at Taylor’s University, students will be equipped with in-depth knowledge in network security, systems hardening, the process of forensically gathering evidence and analysing captured data, as well as legal aspects of cyber security.
Strong Focus on Computer Security & Forensics at Taylor’s University
- Develop specialised skills such as hands-on forensic analysis and security techniques as well as procedures required to implement more robust security mechanisms; also mastery of industry software such as EnCase Forensic.
- Practical exposure at dedicated security and forensic test laboratory, through subjects like Computer Crime & Digital Evidence, Computer Security & Forensics Tools and Forensic Computing Practice, allowing students to gather, analyse and present evidence.
Learning from Experts
- Gain valuable industry exposure and keep abreast with industry practices via module adoption, expert talks, guest lecturers and project based module from the experts such as International Multilateral Partnership Against Cyber Threats (IMPACT) and F-Secure.
Industry Engagement at Taylor’s University
- Opportunity to work on real-world problems identified by the industry for assignments, projects or as a Final Year Project under the guidance of the industry members.
- Mentorship from industry experts in developing commercial applications, tools and/or services.
Integrated Professional Certification at Taylor’s University
- Option to take-up elective modules for the Oracle Database SQL Expert exam as an Oracle Database SQL Certified Expert, SAP Professional Training and Google Web Academy Online Professional.
Dynamic Internship Programme at Taylor’s University
- 12-week internship exposes students to the real working environment and provides in-depth knowledge in the field of computing.
UK Dual Award Degree at Taylor’s University
- Students will receive equal recognition and certification from both Taylor’s University and the University of the West of England (UWE), UK.
Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) Computer Security Specialisation at UOW Malaysia KDU
UOW Malaysia KDU recognises the need to integrate and diminish the gap between industry requirements, practice and technology and academic delivery. Irrespective of the computing stream students choose to study, our syllabus ensure they have a strong grasp in the fundamentals on computing, from programming, to using complex algorithms, and designing, building and testing of applications or systems – all of which are critical in cultivating a graduate who is an analytical thinker and creative problem-solver.
Additionally, University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Won the Top University Award at the KPMG Cyber Challenge 2019.
Students will study a Computer Science programme with specialisation subjects in Computer Security at Year 2 and 3. They are:
- Computer System Security
- Wireless and Mobile Security
- Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures
- Computer Forensics
- Network Security
- Penetration Testing
In November 2018, KDU entered into a strategic partnership with UOW Global Enterprises, a wholly-owned subsidiary of University of Wollongong Australia. Subsequently, in November 2019, the name of the college and university colleges were changed to reflect the stewardship of the University of Wollongong and they are now known as UOW Malaysia KDU.
What are the Subjects that You Will Study in an Undergraduate Cyber Security Programme at a Private University in Malaysia?
When choosing the right university to study the Cyber Security degree at a private university in Malaysia, students should look at the subjects offered. Many students make the mistake in assuming that all subjects and syllabus are the same at all universities and studying at any university doesn’t make a difference. This is not true.
A top private university would ensure that it has the latest up-to-date curriculum taught by qualified and experienced lecturers. The awards won at competitions is also a good indication of the standard of the university in the particular field. The awards are not bought nor for showing off. Having won competitions would show that the students have achieved a high level of understanding and competence in the particular field of study. In addition, the lecturers have the capability to guide and teach the students to reach this level.
Below is a sample of subjects in a cyber security degree that you will study at a top private university in Malaysia.
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- System Analysis & Design
- Security and Forensic Technologies
- Creativity & Innovation
- Object Oriented Development with Java
- Probability & Statistical Modeling
- Professional & Enterprise Development
- Research Methods For Computing and Technology
- System Development Methods
- Ethical Hacking and Incidence Response
- Fundamentals of Mobile Computing
- Mobile & Wireless Technology
- Network Security
- Principles of Networks and Network Design
- System Programming and Computer Control
- Computer Systems Security
- Critical Issues in Managing IS in Organisations
- Design of Corporate Communications Systems
- Information Systems Security Project
- Investigations in Information Systems Security
- Malicious Software and Security Programming
- Penetration Testing
- Voice Over IP Security
- Wireless and Mobile Security
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Computer Crime and Digital Evidence
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Software Engineering
- Computer Systems
- C Programming
- Systems Analysis & Design
- Mathematics for Computing
- Operating Systems
- Software Design
- Database Systems
- Data Communications
- Computer and Network Security
- Object-Oriented Programming using Java
- User Interface Programming and Graphics
- Computing Theory
- Computer Security and Forensics Tools
- Distributed Application Development
- Security Management in Practice
- Computer Intrusion Detection
- Professional Computing Practice
- Artificial Intelligence
- Forensic Computing Practice