Foundation in Science (Engineering /Pure Science) at UOWM KDU Penang Approved for Entry into Malaysia’s Top Ranked Public University – Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
The Foundation in Science program at UOW Malaysia KDU Penang University College, Batu Kawan and Georgetown campuses is a 1-year recognised Pre-University programme. It is also accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA). The Foundation in Science course at UOWM KDU Penang is also the only Foundation programme recognised and approved by Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) into their degree programmes. In order to gain entry into the prestigious and top ranked public university, students need to meet the following conditions:
- Student needs to meet USM degree entry requirements
- Students must have a credit in BM and Sejarah
- Student pays international students’ fees (under international student quota) and can apply for the PTPTN loan
- Students need to pass an interview by USM
Students will have to contact USM directly to find out about the course details and tuition fees for the degree programmes. Application for the degree is also made directly to USM after completing your Foundation in Science at UOWM KDU Penang.
For more information, WhatsApp 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Enter into Top Ranked USM with the Foundation in Science from UOW Malaysia KDU Penang University College
The Foundation in Science program at UOWM KDU Penang is a 1-year recognised Pre-University programme. It is accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Upon completion of the Foundation in Arts at UOWM KDU Penang, students may continue on to the degree programmes in Engineering, Computing or Information Technology (IT). In addition, students may enter into other private universities for degree programmes in health sciences such as Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Biomedical Science, Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, and others. It is also accepted for entry into pure science courses like Biotechnology, Food Science, Nutrition, Biochemistry, etc.
This Foundation in Science is an excellent pathway for students after SPM or IGCSE O-Levels into the engineering and computing programmes at UOWM KDU Penang.
- UK Dual Award BSc. (Hons) Mechatronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Bachelor of Software Engineering (Hons)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons)
- Bachelor of Information Systems (Hons)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) in Computer and Network Technology
About Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
Established as the second university in the country in 1969, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) was first known as Universiti Pulau Pinang. In 1971, USM moved from its temporary premises at the Malayan Teachers’ Training College, Bukit Gelugor to the present 416.6 hectare site at Minden, approximately 9.7 km from Georgetown.
USM offers courses ranging from Natural Sciences, Applied Sciences, Medical and Health Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences to Building Science and Technology, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Education. These are available at undergraduate and postgraduate levels to approximately 30,000 students at its 17 Academic Schools on the main campus in the island of Penang; 6 Schools at the Engineering Campus in Nibong Tebal (approximately 50km from the main campus); and 3 at the Health Campus in Kubang Kerian, Kelantan (approximately 300km from the main campus).
USM also has 17 dedicated research centres for a wide range of specialisations which include archaeology, medicine and dentistry, molecular medicine, science and technology, Islamic development and management studies, and policy research and international studies. It also provides consultancy, testing, and advisory services to the industry under the ambit of USAINS Holdings Sdn Bhd, the University’s commercial arm.
Since the beginning, USM has adopted the School system rather than the traditional Faculty system to ensure that its students are multi-disciplined from their exposure to other areas of study by other Schools. It also encourages students to be active in extra-curricular activities given the myriad of clubs and societies available.
As a Research Intensive University recognised by the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia (MOHE) in 2007, USM offers educational and research opportunities to students and staff. In 2008, USM also became the first university in the country to be selected by the Malaysian government to participate in the Accelerated Programme for Excellence (APEX), a fast-track programme that helps tertiary institutions achieve world-class status.
USM offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes that are conducted by the following Schools:
- School of the Arts
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Communication
- School of Chemical Sciences
- School of Computer Sciences
- School of Distance Education
- School of Educational Studies
- School of Housing, Building and Planning
- School of Humanities
- School of Industrial Technology
- School of Management
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- School of Physics
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Language, Literacies and Translation
- Institute of Postgraduates Studies
Graduate School of Business (GSB)
- School of Civil Engineering
- School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- School of Aerospace Engineering
- School of Chemical Engineering
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Materials & Mineral Resources Engineering
- School of Dental Sciences
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Medical Sciences
Academic Facilities & Resources
The facilities that USM provides for its students are delineated below:
- An impressive Museum filled with world-class displays & a state-of-the-art
Art Gallery with fine art pieces.
- Lecture theatre and halls to facilitate classroom learning and teaching.
- Banks, bookshop, pharmacy, a post office and retail outlet to cater to the needs of students
- An outstanding research library of over one million items and an extensive network of electronic databases and internet access.
- Students’ residences that accommodate their stay on campus.
- Sport Centre that is equipped with indoor and outdoor facilities that caters to students’ sporting events and games.
- Warm and cozy cafeterias, as well as well-designed pavilions
- Students Support Services & Students Development Activities
USM provides various services for its students such as hostel accommodation, counseling/motivational guidance, sport and recreational amenities like soccer fields, 8-lane synthetic running track, an Astroturf hockey stadium and an Olympic-sized swimming pool. Cultural events/activities are organised at the Cultural Hall to foster closer ties among students. There are also various clubs and societies that cater to a wide array of interests. These include the Political Science Society, Computer Science Club, Indian Cultural Club, Navigator Society, Astronomy Club, Debating & Public Speaking Club, and Mass Communication Club to name a few.The Counseling Unit at USM offers support services to help develop students’ potential and capabilities.
Besides contributing to the national research effort and advancement of knowledge in general, the University has also taken steps to identify and periodically assess areas of research which are deserving of special support in order to compete more effectively for external funds. In USM’s bid to provide better incentives for the development of new products and processes by its staff, it has recently drawn up specific rules governing the patenting and commercialization of research results.
Intake Dates for the Foundation in Science at UOWM KDU Penang
Intakes for the Foundation in Science course at UOWM KDU Penang are in January, March, May, July, September & October of each year. Please WhatsApp 01111408838 for the exact dates.
Tuition Fees for the Foundation in Science at UOWM KDU Penang
Total tuition fees for the Foundation in Science at UOWM KDU Penang for 1 year is estimated at RM16,850. Please WhatsApp 01111408838 to request for the latest fees schedule.
- SPM / O Levels : 5 Credits including BM & Sejarah
- UEC : 3 Credits (Min. B6)
What is a Foundation in Science?
The Foundation program in UOW Malaysia KDU Penang University College, Batu Kawan equips students with the necessary fundamental knowledge to pursue their university studies. This flexible program ensures students are grounded with a strong grasp of core subjects, as well as a variety of other subjects to give them a broad-based educational platform. It also helps them to explore new methods and ideas, as well as skills and concepts, to encourage independent and critical thinking.
The Foundation in Science is a one-year program that provides students with 2 elective areas:
- Pure Science
- Engineering or IT or Computer Science
This is a pre-university program that focuses on science related subjects such as chemistry, biology and physics as well as mathematics and information technology. It aims to provide pre-university students a smooth transition from secondary school/high school to a university degree.
The program will give students a strong foundation as well as the basic skills needed for a science-related degree.
Why study Foundation in Science?
Here are several reasons why you should take this program:
- It prepares you for your university degree. You will be provided with a strong foundation in science subjects as well as be given the opportunity to explore different topics that may be of interest to you.
- It gives you a smooth transition towards your bachelor degree.
- It is one of the fastest ways to gain entry into a science-related degree. Compared to other pre-university programs, such as A Levels or STPM, the Foundation in Science program is usually about 1 year in duration.
- Foundation in Science programs may be more affordable than other pre-university programs.
- This might just be the course for you if you are confident that you will be pursuing a science-related degree. It will allow you to have a head-start in the subject area and accelerate your entry into university.
What will you study in Foundation in Science?
Typical Foundation in Science subjects include:
- Computing basics
Elective subjects are also available to enable you to prepare for your intended degree.
Foundation in Science Education Pathway
Upon successful completion of a Foundation in Science, students will be able to pursue degree programmes such as:
- Biomedical sciences
- Computer science
- Environmental sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Applied science
Can you switch to a non-science degree after a Foundation in Science?
While students with a science background are usually able to switch to non-science degrees such as business or mass communications, changing streams is up to the institution’s assessment. You may need to make up additional subjects or credit hours.
Subjects for the Foundation in Science at UOW Malaysia KDU Penang
- English Grammar and Usage
- Study Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Mathematics 1
- Biology 1
- Advanced English Course
- Fundamental study of IT
- Chemistry 1
- Physics 1
- Mathematics 2
- Electives (2 subjects)
- Introduction to Programming
- Critical Writing and Research Skills
- Pure Sciences
- Biology 2
- Chemistry 2
- Physical Sciences
- Mathematics 3
- Physics 2
Study Engineering at UOWM KDU Penang
Engineering may not be the easiest areas of study, but it is the subject areas that continue to be in demand, and the graduates are also more likely to find employment quickly and work their way up the career ladder with an engineering degree under their belt. As Malaysia strives towards a developed nation status, engineers have a key-role to play in enhancing the quality of life through the advancement of science and technology. With such a pivotal role to play, qualified and skilled engineers are in escalating demand and will remain to be throughout the world.
Studying engineering also brings prestige, wide variety of career progression opportunities, having the chance to improve the world, worldwide travel and employment opportunities, as well as career satisfaction. More importantly, it sets one up for professional success. Engineers can be Entrepreneurs; we call them “Technopreneur”.
With more than 30% academicians with PhD and industry specialists from leading global corporations, we provide access to real-world technology innovations and industry insights.
UOW Malaysia KDU delivers industry-certified graduates with professional certifications (e.g. MyTRIZ, Labview, SolidWorks, Mentor Graphics), experienced in handling and solving industrial related problems. This ensures a seamless transition to employment upon graduation.
WORLD CLASS PARTNER
UOWM KDU Penang partnered with a leading UK university to give you access to a world class education in Malaysia. Northumbria University is top ten in the UK for the number of graduates entering professional employment.