What are the General Entry Requirements for the Different Courses at Private Universities in Malaysia?
In order to choose the right course that fits you to study in Malaysia, you would also need to know the entry requirements. Entry requirements for university vary with each institution. It’s important you understand the qualifications needed for the course you wish to pursue. Each course will have its own entry requirements, often specifying both the subjects you must already have studied, as well as the grades you’ll need to have achieved. Malaysia’s Private Universities tend to express their entry requirements in a variety of ways. If you’re confused, always contact the university themselves.
In addition, students after SPM & IGCSE/O-Levels would need to know the different entry requirements for Foundation, Pre-U and Diploma courses in Malaysia. Foreign branch campuses will have higher entry requirements. They set their own entry requirements for higher education courses, and these vary widely depending on the specific course.
Generally, arts students will never be able to take science-related degree programmes. However, it is possible for arts stream students to enter into engineering courses with the relevant results.
If you are studying the UEC, STPM, A-Levels or Pre-U, then you can apply for direct entry to the first year of an undergraduate/bachelor’s degree. You will need to find out the entry requirements into the degree programmes of interest at the particular private university.
You might also be interested to read:
- Top 10 Tips on How to Make the Right Choice for Your Studies after SPM or IGCSE O-Levels
- Choosing the Right Course After SPM or O-Levels Increases Your Chances of Getting a Good Job & Salary in Malaysia
- Entry Requirements for Foundation, Diploma & Degree Courses in Malaysia
- How to Choose the Best Private University or College in Malaysia that Fits Me?
- Study Courses that has High Job Demand in Malaysia
- Top 20 Courses to Study in Malaysia that has High Job Demand & Stable Salary
- Top 10 Best Courses to Study in Malaysia
- Malaysia’s 28 Top Jobs in Demand in Future with High Salaries
Do you have any questions for us on this article? Or need advise on choosing the right course and private university? If so, then please fill up the Enquiry Form below. Our team of experts will help you solve your queries at the earliest via WhatsApp.
Find Out if Your Results Meet the Admission Requirements for the Course that You Plan to Study in Malaysia
In order to enter the university for the course that you are interested in, you will need to meet their entry requirements. It is important to find out what the entry requirements are for your course of interest so that you can plan during your high school which Pre-University course would be suitable.
Knowing the requirements, you can then choose the right subjects so that you can enter the course without any problems. For example, if you want to study Food Science but you didn’t take Chemistry in your Pre-U course, then you won’t be able to enter that course.
Furthermore, some courses will require additional requirements such as English, that you need to meet, therefore, you will need to plan ahead to sit for the relevant exams before the intake starts.
Some courses may require an interview, a test or portfolio submission. For Medicine and Pharmacy, in addition to the academic requirements, students need to go for an interview undertaken by the Faculty. Design courses may require a test or submission of a portfolio especially for those who did not take any design subjects in high school.
If the course requires you to achieve an English requirement, you may need to prepare early by signing up for the English test like MUET, IELTS or TOEFL.
What if I don’t have the right qualifications?
You may need to resit or retake the exam to achieve the necessary grades to enter. Alternately, you can choose another course that you qualify for
What is the Grading System?
|C+||B6||U – Ungraded||C+||F|
Foundation Courses or Pre-University Programmes Entry Requirements in Malaysia
You will need a minimum 5 credits in SPM/IGCSE/O-Levels or 4Bs in UEC, inclusive of Mathematics and 2 pure science subjects for entry into the Foundation in Science or Foundation in Engineering at most universities. For the Foundation in Arts, you need at least 5 credits in SPM in any subject to enter or 4Bs in the UEC.
For Pharmacy and Medicine you need SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels 5 B’s inclusive of Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics/Add. Mathematics and an additional subject (Pass in B. Melayu and English is compulsory)
To enter into the Foundation in Business, you will need at least 5 credits in SPM. You may need credits for English or Maths depending on which university. If you plan to go for the degree in Actuarial Science, Finance or Accounting, you must have a credit in Maths.
Foundation courses are internal courses by the private universities and is 1 year in duration. They stream into the degree programmes offered at the university. To find out more about the best Foundation Programmes in Malaysia, you may go to the links below:
- Foundation in Architecture & Built Environment
- Foundation in Arts
- Foundation in Business Management
- Foundation in Communication & Media Studies
- Foundation in Computing & Information Technology (IT)
- Foundation in Design
- Foundation in Engineering
- Foundation in English
- Foundation in Life Sciences
- Foundation in Science
Diploma Courses Entry Requirements in Malaysia
Each course will have its specific requirements such as the Diploma in Electronic Engineering will require a credit in Maths and 1 Science subject, while the Diploma in Information Technology (IT) will need a credit in Maths.
Diploma courses for Hotel Management, Event Management, Communications, Business and Design will only need at least 3Cs in SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels in any subject.
The Diploma in Nursing & Medical Lab Technology will require at least 5Cs in SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels including Maths, BM, and 1 Science subject in addition to a Pass in English.
Students from the Arts Stream who are interested to join a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical & Electronic Engineering course will be able to join certain universities with SPM 3 credits including Maths & General Science.
With the change in the duration of the diploma programme from 2.5 years to 2 years, students can go for the Diploma programme for 2 years and then enter into Year 2 of the relevant degree programme and complete the degree at the same time as those who took the Foundation.
Courses like business, IT, mass communication, etc takes 2 years. Courses like engineering, architecture, culinary, hotel and design take 2.5 years. However, the design courses at INTI takes 3 years to complete.
One advantage of taking the Diploma is that you can apply for the PTPTN loan. You cannot apply for the PTPTN loan for the Foundation course. In addition, for the Diploma, you would be studying subjects that you like. However, if you are not sure of what you want to study, then taking the Foundation course you have time to decide later which course you would like to pursue.
You might be interested in this article, The Best Diploma Courses at Top Universities & Colleges in Malaysia
Degree Courses Entry Requirements for A-Levels and STPM in Malaysia
Another confusion is when students take the AS subject in the A-Levels, it is not a full subject and therefore is not counted as a principal.
When choosing subjects in the A-Levels, it is important to ask the counselor the right questions and to choose wisely. The General Paper is also not accepted by some universities as well. General Paper is taken as a subject in TAR College A-Level programme.
You will need at least 2 Principals to enter into the degree courses. A-Levels will be at least 2E’s while STPM is at least 2C’s or CGPA 2.00. The Pengajian Am is not accepted into Science degree courses and but can be counted for entry into Business, IT, Mass Comm, Psychology and Social Science courses.
If you have at least a C in Pengajian Am and another subject, you may enter into these courses at certain universities. Please contact me for more details.
If you had obtained 5B’s in the UEC, you can go directly into the degree programme. I talked to a student who completed the UEC with at least 5Bs and was advise to take a Foundation course therefore wasting one year, when he could have entered directly into the degree program.
Undergraduate Admission Criteria For Students after Pre-University, UEC, A-Levels and STPM in Malaysia
For admission into bachelor-level programs, students usually must have completed secondary school and a Pre-University Programme. Below are the general requirements for the various Pre-University courses into the popular fields of study in this country. Typical grade requirements:
Medicine and Pharmacy
- STPM – Grades BBB, ABC or AAC or CGPA 3.0 (out of 4.0) in 3 subjects i.e: Biology; and Chemistry; and Physics or Mathematics
- A-Levels – Grades BBB, ABC or AAC in 3 subjects i.e.: Biology; and Chemistry; and Physics or Maths
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC)
B4 each in 5 subjects: Biology; and Chemistry; and Physics; and Mathematics; and Advanced Mathematics
- Foundation in Science or Pre- Medical Programme
CGPA 3.0 (out of 4.0) in 3 subjects i.e.: Biology; and Chemistry; and Physics or Mathematics with minimum grade for each subject is C (GP 2.0)
- AUSMAT/MUFY/ SACE/WACE – 80% ATAR provided the subjects includes Biology, Chemistry; and Physics or Mathematics
- CPU/CIMP – Average of 80% in 3 subjects i.e.: Biology, Chemistry; and Physics or Mathematics
- *Additional Requirements:
SPM with at least 5Bs including Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics or Additional Mathematics. Credit in Bahasa Melayu
- English Language Requirements
Any one of the following:
- SPM English – Minimum Grade B
- SPM English 1119/O-Level English – Minimum Grade of B3
- UEC English – Minimum Grade A2
- MUET – Minimum Band 4
Applied Science – Biotechnology, Food Science, Nutrition, etc
- Foundation in Science – Minimum CGPA 2.00, inclusive of: Chemistry and Biology/Physics/Mathematics
- STPM – Minimum CGPA 2.00, inclusive of Grade Cs in Chemistry and Biology/Physics/Mathematics
- UEC – Minimum Grade B in five (5) subjects, inclusive of: Chemistry,Biology and Physics/Mathematics
- A-levels – Minimum Grade E in: Chemistry and Biology/Physics/Mathematics
- AUSMAT/MUFY/ SACE/WACE – Minimum ATAR 60% or minimum 60% average five (5) subjects inclusive of: Chemistry and Biology/Physics/Mathematics
- CPU/CIMP – Minimum average of 60% in 6 subjects inclusive of: Chemistry and Biology/Physics/Mathematics
Computing – Computer Science, Software Engineering and Information Technology (IT)
- Foundation in IT/Engineering/Arts/Science – CGPA of 2.0, and credit (C) in SPM/IGCSE/O-level Mathematics
- STPM – CGPA of 2.0 and credit (C) in SPM Mathematics
- A-Level Minimum 2 D principals and credit (C) in SPM/IGCSE/O-level Mathematics
- UEC – 5 credits (B6), including Additional Mathematics
- Canadian Pre-U
Minimum average of 60% in 6 subjects, inclusive of minimum 60% score in Mathematics and minimum Credit (C) in Additional Mathematics at SPM/O-Level/equivalent
Minimum average of 60% in 5 subjects, inclusive of minimum 60% score in Mathematics and minimum Credit (C) in Additional Mathematics at SPM/O-Level/equivalent
- STPM – Minimum 2Cs including Mathematics and one relevant Physical Science subject
- A Level – Minimum 2Ds including Mathematics and one relevant Physical Science subject
- UEC – Minimum 5Bs including Mathematics and one relevant Physical Science subject
- CPU – Minimum average of 60% in 6 subjects, inclusive of a minimum score of 60% in Mathematics and one relevant Physical Science subject
- Foundation in Engineering/Science -Minimum CGPA 2.0
- Diploma/ Advance Diploma/ equivalent – Minimum CGPA 2.0
- Subject to Faculty discretion after reviewing transcript and syllabus
- AUSMAT/MUFY/ SACE/WACE- Minimum overall average of 60%, inclusive of a minimum score of 60% in Mathematics and one relevant Physical Science subject
Built Environment – Architecture & Quantity Survey
- Foundation in Arts/ Science/ Equivalent
Minimum CGPA 2.0 with credit in Maths AND Minimum credit Maths in SPM or grade ‘C’ in O-Levels
- STPM (Arts/Science stream) Minimum CGPA of 2.0 (or equivalent) With minimum Grade ‘C’ for 2 subjects INCLUDING Maths
- UEC (Commerce/Science stream) Minimum 5 Credits (‘B’ grade) INCLUDING Maths
- AUSMAT/MUFY/ SACE/WACE – Minimum average of 60% in 5 subjects INCLUDING Maths
- CPU – Minimum average of 65% in 6 subjects INCLUDING Maths
- Diploma/ Advance Diploma/ equivalent
- Minimum CGPA 2.0
- Subject to School discretion and credit transfer after reviewing transcript, syllabus description & portfolio.
Business – Business Administration, International Business, Human Resource Management, Marketing, Logistics etc
- Foundation in Business/Arts/Science/IT/Engineering – Pass, with a minimum CGPA of 2.0
- STPM – Minimum 2 principals (C) (CGPA 2.0) in 2 subjects and pass in Mathematics and English at SPM Level.
- A-Level – Minimum 2 principal (D )
- UEC – Minimum 5 credits (B6) and pass (C8) in Mathematics and English
- Canadian Pre-U -Minimum average of 60% in 6 subjects
- AUSMAT/MUFY/ SACE/WACE – Minimum average of 60% in 5 subjects
Accounting, Finance, Finance & Investment, Fintech, Banking & Finance and Actuarial Science
- STPM- Minimum Grade C+ (GPA 2.33) in any 2 subjects and pass SPM with credit in Mathematics and pass in English;
- A-Level – Minimum 2 D grades
- UEC – Pass in UEC with minimum 5 credits (B6) including Mathematics and pass in English
- AUSMAT/MUFY/ SACE/WACE – Minimum average of 60% in 5 subjects
- Foundation in Arts/Business/Science/IT/Engineering – Minimum CGPA of 2.50 out of 4.00
Communications, Hotel Management, Event Management, Culinary Arts, Baking, Creative Arts & Design
- Foundation – Pass with a minimum CGPA of 2.0
- STPM – Minimum 2 principals (C)
- A-Level – Minimum 2 principals (D)
- UEC – Minimum 5 credits (B6)
- Canadian Pre-U – Minimum average of 50% in 6 subjects
- AUSMAT/MUFY/ SACE/WACE – Minimum average of 50% in 5 subjects
- Must have a Credit for English in SPM/O-Levels or UEC to enter into Communications
- Must have a Credit in SPM/O-Levels or UEC in Mathematics and a science subject & Pass English to enter Psychology
|C+||B6||U – Ungraded||C+||F|
Transferring your Diploma to a Degree course in Malaysia
If you had taken a diploma course, you can transfer your credits into Year 2 of a relevant degree. For example, if you have a
Diploma in Accounting, you can generally be accepted into Year 2 of the Accounting degree programme. At some universities, you may not get full exemptions as the subjects may not be similar, so you may have to enter into Year 1 second or final semester.
If you decide to join a marketing degree course, you may not get as many exemptions.
To perform the exemption advise, you will need to submit the transcripts, course outline for all the subjects that you have taken at the college and SPM Certificate.
It will take some time to perform the exemptions so you need to submit the documents early.
Certificate Course Entry Requirements in Malaysia
Many students in Malaysia are confused about the education possibilities available to them after SPM, UEC, STPM or A-Levels.
For those who only obtained 1 credit in SPM/UEC and a pass in BM & Sejarah, there is still hope for you as you can go for a Certificate in Business, Certificate in IT or Certificate in Creative Design and then go on to the Diploma course.
Generally, you won’t be able to study Certificate in Engineering, Pharmacy, Medicine, Health Science, Biotechnology, etc because you are to weak in your results to continue on in diploma or degree levels.
You will study the Certificate course for 1 year and 4 months and then only continue to the Diploma for 2 or 2.5 years depending on which course. After the Diploma, you will enter into Year 2 of the degree for another 2 years.
Some students are also confused that the “C” in UEC is equivalent to a credit and that is not true.
How to Find Out if I Qualify to Enter the Course in Malaysia?
Students who are interested to find out if you qualify to enter the course may take picture of your results, trial or mock results and upload them below. I will contact you to let you know.