Education Pathway for Malaysian Students After SPM/IGCSE to Study in Australia via Twinning or Transfer

Australian Twinning & Transfer Programmes in Malaysia

Australian Twinning & Transfer Programmes in Malaysia

Cost Effective Education Pathway to  Studying in Australia via the Degree Transfer or Twinning Offered at Malaysian Private Universities

For many years, Australia has been one of the top destinations for Malaysian students to further their undergraduate studies. In addition, Australia is an attractive study destination with a lot of top ranking prestigious universities offering world class higher education. Furthermore, students are allowed to work while they study and the option to work for 2 years upon graduation. Australia allows international students to stay back in the country to work or study for 2 to 4 years depending on the level of study qualification they acquire.

Studying fully in Australia from Pre-University to Degree can be costly. According to the Department of Home Affairs, international students in Australia would require AU$21,042 per year to manage their living expenses. This is an approximate figure and the living cost might vary depending on your lifestyle and the place where you live. Students after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels who desire to study in Australia in a cost effective manner can do so via the transfer or twinning programmes available at some Malaysian Private Universities. Students can enter the Foundation programme for 1 year and then continue on to degree and then finish the final part of their study in Australia. This pathway is known as the Twinning or Degree Transfer. Read on to find out all about the education pathway.

You might also be interested to read:

Do you have any questions for us on this article? Or need advise on choosing the right course and private university? If so, then please fill up the Enquiry Form below. Our team of experts will help you solve your queries at the earliest via WhatsApp.

Best Cost Saving Education Pathway to Studying in Australia for Malaysian Students after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels

was confused about what to study & didn't want to do what my dad was working as because he was so busy. My mum asked EduSpiral to advise me. He showed my that I am different from my dad & helped me to make the right choice. Chong Han, Foundation in Engineering at Taylor's University
I was confused about what to study & didn’t want to do what my dad was working as because he was so busy. My mum asked EduSpiral to advise me. He showed my that I am different from my dad & helped me to make the right choice.
Chong Han, Foundation in Engineering at Taylor’s University

Australia is among the top countries on the list of every student wanting to study abroad. The country has many reputed universities offering diverse courses. The quality of education and numerous opportunities encourage many Malaysian students to choose Australia.

If Malaysian students want to live and work in Australia and obtain permanent residence (PR) visa, they can take advantage of the various pathways which can lead to a PR visa.

After studying two years at Australian universities, Malaysian students are eligible to apply for the Australian post-study work visas (Subclass 485). The Australian post-study work visa allows international students to work up to two years in an occupation eligible for permanent residency.

Therefore, Malaysian students planning to obtain a Permanent Residency (PR) and migrate to Australia after their studies can choose to study a course that’s in demand on the SOL (Skilled Occupation List).  In addition, to save on cost, students may go for a twinning or transfer programme where you can study Foundation or Pre-University and then 1st year degree in Malaysia and then transfer to Australia for the final 2 years. A twinning or transfer programme from a top private university in Malaysia will allow you to save on tuition costs and then help you to achieve your dream of studying and migrating to Australia.

Australian Twinning & Transfer Degree Programmes at Malaysia’s Private Universities

EduSpiral advised me on WhatsApp & provided all the information on Taylor’s University. He also helped to arrange a campus tour. Finally, he helped me to register as well as apply for the scholarship.
Hazel Hoh, Foundation in Arts (Communication)

Malaysian students who have just completed their SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels and would like to study in Australia for the final part of their study can choose the degree transfer or twinning options offered at some top private universities.

First, you can take the Foundation programme for 1 year. Then. you will enter into Year 1 of the degree programme. The duration of study in Australia will vary on the course and from university to university.

You could study 1+2, 1.5+1.5 or 2+1. This is for the 3-year degree programmes. For 4 year degree programmes like engineering, you could study 1+4 or 2+2.

What is an Australian Twinning or Transfer Programme at Malaysia’s Private Universities?

Twinning Programmes offered at private universities in Malaysia make studying abroad a more affordable option. Malaysia is well known for its undergraduate twinning degree (‘2+1’, ‘1+2’) programmes, where students pursue the first or second year of the degree programme in Malaysia and the final part at the  overseas university partner.

This allows Malaysian students to save a lot of money and still have the opportunity to study partly overseas to gain the experience as well as the degree. In the twinning programme, students can complete from 1 to 2 years in Malaysia, before going to the partner university in Australia to complete the degree.

Twinning Programmes to Australia
Mr. Lonnie from EduSpiral, guided us in our confusion of which course to take that has a high job demand & salary and after the counseling, we decided on Fintech. Bryan & Wen Kai, Fintech at Asia Pacific University (APU)
Mr. Lonnie from EduSpiral, guided us in our confusion of which course to take that has a high job demand & salary and after the counseling, we decided on Fintech.
Bryan & Wen Kai, Fintech at Asia Pacific University (APU)
  • A Twinning Programme means that the overseas partner university has evaluated the degree subjects and accept the students for entry as long as they meet the minimum requirements.
  • The credits a student accumulates at the private university in Malaysia can be transferred, so they can pick up where they left off when they study abroad.
  • The partner university would have signed an agreement with the private university for such an arrangement.
  • Twinning programmes are also known as “2+1”, “1.5+1.5” or “1+2”, where the first number refers to the time spent in Malaysia while the second number is for time spent overseas. For example, a 2+1 means that you will spend 2 years in Malaysia and the final year overseas.
  • You are limited and have to go to the partner university in Australia.
Degree Transfer Programme to Australia
South Australian Matriculation (SAM) at Taylors College
I met EduSpiral a few years back & although I wanted to pursue his advise, my parents asked me to take STPM. I wasn’t satistied with my STPM results and finally, EduSpiral helped me to understand clearly that SAM was the best Pre-U that suit me.
Khalil, South Australian Matriculation (SAM) at Taylors College
  • A Degree Transfer means that after completing 1 or 2 years of study, the student will have to submit the transcripts, course outline, syllabus and high school certificates to the university overseas for evaluation for exemptions. The university overseas will take some time to go through and then inform you which subjects have been exempted . You may have to take extra subjects.
  • A Degree Transfer means that after completing 1 or 2 years of study, the student will have to submit the transcripts, course outline, syllabus and high school certificates to the university overseas for evaluation for exemptions. The university overseas will take some time to go through and then inform you which subjects have been exempted . You may have to take extra subjects.
  • In a Degree Transfer Programme, you are not limited to the partner university and you have the choice to transfer to a few universities overseas. Some of the Twinning Programme partner universities’ rankings may not be appealing to you so you can try to transfer your credits to higher ranking universities.
  • Although you may have to do a few more extra subjects but you are able to transfer to more universities and not bound to the partner university in twinning programmes.

What do Students Need to Do to Prepare to Study in Australia?

Students should identify what course they are interested in first and then find out which private university offers that particular course and enquire on the partner universities in Australia as well as the duration needed in Australia.

Students should also ensure that there is a dedicated department within the private university that will assist you to transfer to the Australian university on matters like university application, accommodation booking, and visa application. It can be a tedious process.

What are the Foundation Programmes that you Can Take at the Private Universities?

Foundation in Business into Finance at Taylor's University
My dream was to study at Taylor’s University and with the Taylor’s Excellence Award that EduSpiral shared with me, I am able to achieve it.
Chun Tim, Foundation in Business into Finance at Taylor’s University

Foundation courses can be seen as preparatory courses that assist students to transition from SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels in Malaysia to specific bachelor’s degree programmes.

In addition, the Foundation Programme in Malaysia is a pre-university program designed to help students meet the entry requirements for first-year university and prepare them to handle the rigours of undergraduate studies. Students gain a solid grounding in academic and communication skills, with a focus on developing their Critical Thinking and English language skills.

Below is a list of the most popular Foundation Programmes in Malaysia:

  1. Foundation in Science
  2. Foundation in Arts
  3. Foundation in Business & Management
  4. Foundation in Computing & Technology
  5. Foundation in Information Technology (IT)
  6. Foundation in Engineering
  7. Foundation in Communication & Media Studies
  8. Foundation in Natural & Built Environment or Architecture
  9. Foundation in Design
  10. Foundation in Life Sciences

Where can you study a Twinning or Degree Transfer Programme in Malaysia?

I wasn't sure of which course to study & Lonnie , from EduSpiral, guided me to choose the right course based on Job Demand & Salary. Hong Ming, Foundation in Computing & Technology at KDU University College
I wasn’t sure of which course to study & Lonnie , from EduSpiral, guided me to choose the right course based on Job Demand & Salary. Hong Ming, Foundation in Arts & Technology at UOWM KDU University College

When choosing a private university for a Twinning or Degree Transfer Programme, it is important to look at the ranking of the partner university, cost of studying overseas and if the university has a specific department to assist students in their applications overseas.

The following universities below have arrangements with overseas universities in the Australia. The partnerships are for various courses offered at the university.

Students wanting advise and help in choosing the right university for your Twinning or Degree Transfer Programme may WhatsApp us at 01111408838 for advise.

  1. Taylor’s University
  2. Asia Pacific University (APU)
  3. University of Wollongong Malaysia (UOWM) KDU
  4. UOWM KDU Penang
  5. HELP University

Studying in Australia

Australia is home to some of the world’s leading universities. Australia has a national regulatory and quality agency for higher education called – the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). It was established by the Australian Government to monitor quality, and regulate university and non-university higher education providers against a set of standards developed by the independent Higher Education Standards Panel.

Australian University Intakes and Application Deadlines

Intakes: February, July, September
Application Deadline: By December (Feb Intake)
By May (Jul Intake)
By July (Sept Intake)

How Much Does it Cost to Study in Australia for Malaysians?

Education and living costs in Australia

Knowing the average cost of living and studying in Australia is an important part of your application and financial preparation.

Students should be aware that the costs of studying in Australia will depend on your education provider, the level of study you choose and your study location in Australia.

Knowing the average living costs in Australia is an important part of your financial preparation. For your reference, here are some of the costs associated with living and studying in Australia (all costs are in Australian dollars).

As of October 2019 the 12-month living costs are;

  • For students or guardians – AUD$21,041
  • For partners coming with you – AUD$7,362
  • For a child coming with you – AUD$3,152

The costs below are an approximate guide only and don’t take into account your budget and spending habits.

Undergraduate Tuition Fees
  • AUD$30,000 – $45,000 annually

You may stay as a resident on campus. However, if you are unable to find such accommodation, you might have to look for a room on rent, homestay or find a local host. The cost will vary from city to city.  In general, rent will require at least A$200 a week.

  • Hostels and Guesthouses – $90 to $150 per week
  • Shared Rental – $95 to $215 per week
  • On campus – $110 to $280 per week
  • Homestay – $235 to $325 per week
  • Rental – $185 to $440 per week
  • Boarding schools – $11,000 to $22,000 a year

You need to keep aside money for your grocery shopping, social activities and emergency situations. When living in a foreign country, it is better to keep a track of your expenditures so that you do not overspend. The Australian government recommends a single student budget of AUD 20,290 a year for living expense (approx. figure, bound to fluctuate with changing economy).

For all of you cooking enthusiasts out there, there are many supermarkets such as Woolworths, Coles and Costco where you can get all your ingredients. You should set aside A$ a week for groceries.

Looking for some spices from home so you can cook your favourite Asian comfort food? Check out KT Mart or Chan’s Asian Supermarket or even My Asian Grocer ( that delivers across Australia!

Feel like living it up a bit? You can get dinner for two in a pub for around A$50, or spring for a nice dinner in Osteria Ilaria (Melbourne) for about A$100.

More of the ‘stay home and chill’ type? There’s always UberEats. Their delivery fee is anything between A$3.95 and A$6.45, but you have the choice of almost everything without even leaving your place.

  • Groceries and eating out – $140 to $280 per week

A lot of universities provide buses to ferry their students. However, if you move around the city a fair bit, you need to keep aside separate funds for using the public transport.

In most cities, you can get a monthly transport card that gives you access to unlimited rides on trains, buses and trams (and even ferries, if that’s an option in the city). An Opal Card in Sydney costs A$180, a myki Card in Melbourne costs A$147, and a Metrocard in Adelaide costs A$121.

The prices of monthly transport passes are rather steep, but it’s worth it considering an 8km bus ride in Sydney costs A$5.60.

If you prefer the convenience of driving, economy cars in Australia are competitively priced. You can get a Toyota Corolla for around A$23,000. The price of gas varies between cities from A$5.11 per gallon in Sydney to A$4.95 a gallon in Adelaide.

  • Public transport – $30 to $60 per week
  • Car (after purchase) – $150 to $260 per week
Other living expenses
  • Gas, electricity – $10 to $20 per week
  • Phone and Internet – $15 to $30 per week
  • Entertainment – $80 to $150 per week
General Guide to Living Costs in Australia for Malaysian Students
Item Melbourne Sydney Brisbane Adelaide Perth
Weekly Rental A$175-500 A$150- 520 A$205-459 A$148-469 A$158-420
Public transport (weekly) A$50 A$50-65 A$23 A$12.25 A$10
Food (daily) A$80-150 A$80-200 A$40-240 A$60-200 A$80-250
Entertainment A$30-100 A$80-150 A$40-140 A$35-130 A$40-150
Movie ticket cost A$18 A$20 A$17 A$21 A$18
Fitness A$50-130 A$45-100 A$25-120 A$29-150 A$25-100

In order to study in Australia, the first step is to secure a valid student visa and that comes with its own costs. You will also have to provide for your own Overseas Student Health Care (OSHC) to cover yourself in case of any medical emergency.

While you must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), you can also access private health, travel, home and contents, and vehicle insurance in Australia.

As an international student in Australia, you are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your study in Australia. But there are also other types of insurance which you may find useful.

Overseas Student Health Cover

International students undertaking formal studies in Australia, and their dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old), must obtain OSHC. It includes cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines). OSHC insurers can provide a range of different OSHC products. These may range from a basic product which covers only the compulsory minimum services to comprehensive products which cover, in addition to the compulsory minimum services, extra services as specified under the particular policy.

Working While Studying in Australia

Most student visas let you work for up to 40 hours every two weeks during your course, and as many hours as you like during course breaks. You should double-check your visa before starting any paid work.

Working part-time while can be a great way to help with the cost of living in Australia and also gain work experience in your field of study. Students can consider working part time in cafés, bars, restaurants and hotels, farming or fruit picking, or sales and administration roles.

Working in Australia After Graduation

If you want to stay and work in Australia after you finish your studies, you’ll need to get a new visa first. Students must have studied a minimum of 2 years full time study at university to be eligible for the 2-year post-study work visa and they can get 1 extra year if studied in the regional area.

If you have completed a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral degree, you may be eligible for the Post-Study Workstream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa.

In some cases, your new employer may be able to sponsor you for a new visa. You should speak with someone from your work’s Human Resources or Recruitment team to find out if this possible.

If you do not have an employer to sponsor you, and want to stay in Australia longer-term to develop your professional career, you can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect.

Higher Education in Australia

Higher education courses can be taken to earn an advanced degree and continue your studies in Australia. There are three main types of higher education which lead to Bachelor, Master and Doctoral Degrees.

In Australia it is quite common for students to enrol in a double or combined Bachelor Degree program which leads to the award of two Bachelor Degrees. This is most common in the fields of arts, commerce, law and science.

Australian institutions offer a wide range of courses – from science to management and commerce, humanities to engineering, and law to health sciences. Australian institutions rank among the world’s best by discipline, particularly in engineering and technology, medicine, environmental science, and accounting and finance.

There are 43 universities in Australia (40 Australian universities, two international universities, and one private specialty university). Along with our universities, many other institutions offer higher education courses. You can search for institutions and courses using the Institution and Course Search on this website.

Quality Assurance for Australian Higher Education

Australia has a national regulatory and quality agency for higher education – the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). It was established by the Australian Government to monitor quality, and regulate university and non-university higher education providers against a set of standards developed by the independent Higher Education Standards Panel.

In addition, the following student rights are protected by law under the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS):

  • The well-being of all international students.
  • The quality of students’ education experience.
  • The provision of up-to-date and accurate information.
Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT)

The Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) student surveys make it possible to compare higher education institutions and study areas, based on the results of thousands of surveys completed by current and former domestic and international students.

The CompareED website ( uses QILT survey responses to let you explore and compare the experiences of 2 million students and graduates of different institutions and study areas to help inform your study choices.

Australian Qualifications Framework

The Australian education system is distinguished from many other countries by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). The AQF was established in 1995 and is a national policy that covers qualifications from the tertiary education sector (higher education and vocational education and training) in addition to the school-leaving certificate; the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education.

The AQF has 10 levels and links school, vocational and university education qualifications into one national system. This allows you to move easily from one level of study to the next, and from one institution to another, as long as you satisfy student visa requirements. It allows for choice and flexibility in career planning. All qualifications in the AQF help prepare you for both further study and your working life.

If you are studying an AQF qualification, you can be sure that your institution is Government-authorised and nationally accredited, and that your degree or other AQF qualification will be genuine.

Our institutions are linked across the country and across the world, which makes it easy to move throughout the education system between courses or institutions and formal agreement and recognition frameworks mean every step of the path will contribute to your future no matter what your study or career goals.

Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act

The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) framework protects the rights of international students studying in Australia, including:

  • Your right to receive, before enrolling, current and accurate information about the courses, fees, modes of study, and other information from your institution and your institution’s agent.
  • Your right to sign a written agreement with your institution before paying fees, setting out the services to be provided, fees payable, and information about refunds of course money. Make sure to keep a copy of your written agreement.
  • The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is a placement and refund service for international students, which is activated in the event that your institution is unable to teach your course.
The institutions’ responsibilities

The ESOS framework sets out the standards that Australian education providers must meet in offering education and training services to international students. ESOS and the National Code also outlines the responsibility of providers in managing their education agent network. These standards cover a range of information you have a right to know and services that must be offered to you, including:

  • Orientation and access to support services to help you study and adjust to life in Australia.
  • Contact details of officers available to help international students.
  • If you can apply for course credit.
  • When your enrollment can be deferred, suspended or cancelled.
  • What your institution’s requirements are for satisfactory progress in the courses you study and what support is available if you are not progressing well.
  • If attendance will be monitored for your course.
  • A complaints and appeals process.
Your responsibilities

As an overseas student on a student visa, you have responsibilities to:

  • Satisfy your student visa conditions.
  • Maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your stay.
  • Meet the terms of the written agreement with your institution.
  • Inform your institution if you change your address.
  • Maintain satisfactory course progress.
  • If attendance is recorded for your course, follow your institution’s attendance policy.
  • If you are under 18, maintain your approved accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements.
Student Fact Sheet

Download the ESOS Student fact sheet (PDF 605.1KB)to read important information for student visa holders about living and studying in Australia, including your consumer rights and responsibilities as an international student and key things you should know before and during your study.

Which are the Courses to Study in Malaysia that will Increase my Chances for Obtaining a Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia?

International students planning to live, study and work in Australia need to first apply for an Australian Student Visa to study in Australia.

After studying two years at Australian universities, vocational schools or colleges, international students are eligible to apply for the Australian post-study work visas (Subclass 485).

The Australian post-study work visa allows international students to work up to two years in an occupation eligible for permanent residency.

Two years is enough time for students to gain extra points for their PR application. However, international students that have already gained sufficient work experience overseas can directly use the General Skilled Migration program and apply for their permanent residency by submitting an expression of interest through the application system Skillselect (General Skilled Migration program).

The candidates applying through the General Skilled Migration program must have qualifications and skills related to an occupation mentioned on the SOL (Skilled Occupation List). Every year, the Australian government publishes an updated list of highly demanded occupations that adds to the advancement of the country.

International students who have completed their course associated with the given occupation in Australia have a higher chance of receiving Australian PR (Permanent Residency).

What are the Top Courses with Higher Chance to Obtain an Australian PR?

Australia’s Department of Immigration and Board Protection releases a list of occupations that are required for the country’s economic growth and development. The department of education and training releases the following lists every year. They are the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL).

This list currently has more than 200 occupations listed and is updated regularly by the Department of Home Affairs (DoHA).

What you may not know is that each occupation has an upper limit (ceiling) on the number of places that can be granted. This means that some occupations have a lot more space than others. It also means “oversubscribed” occupations wanting an invitation are pro-rata, meaning they aren’t open to invite every month, but every other month.

There are also higher points in certain occupations due to the high competition for places.

In addition, the ceiling is not a target to meet, but rather the maximum allowed in that occupation for the financial year. BUT Occupation ceilings do not apply to State or Territory Nominated or Employer Sponsored visas, which is good news for many sat in the “EOI Queue” for a 189 visa.

Occupations that are mentioned in this list have better PR prospects. Students looking for a PR visa in Australia must select the right course which will continue to be in demand and acquire the skills and qualifications related to the SOL.

What are Occupation Ceilings?

There is a restriction on the amount of Expression of Interest (EOI) or invites that will be issued by the Australian Government for a particular occupation group. This is what is referred to as the occupation ceilings.

They are basically set to make sure there’s not just a small number of different occupations making up the biggest percentage of the program for skilled migrant workers. Once the cited limit has been met, there will be no additional invitations for the occupation group in question until the next year.

It means that even the lower ranking occupation groups will be able to offer prospective migrants an invitation to work in the country. As the occupation ceilings have been released for 2019-2020, you may be curious to know which jobs are most in demand in Australia for migrant workers.

1. Engineering

Getting an engineering degree opens up various employment opportunities for international students.

Each year, Australia demands a huge number of engineers in various areas such as Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Environmental Engineering and more.

Students with an engineering degree can work and live in Australia and meet several requirements of the country in different aspects.

2. Accounting

Accounting is one of the rapidly-growing occupations in Australia. Many international students in Australia choose to pursue accounting in Australia because of the various job opportunities available in this field. To be an accountant, you need to hold a bachelor’s degree first.

Accounting students can apply for positions like an External Editor or a Corporate Treasure.

3. Computer and Information Technology (IT)

Computer science and IT professionals are needed everywhere in the world, and Australia is no exception.

Universities in Australia for international students provide various courses in Computer and IT field such as Computer Network and System, ICT Business & System Analysis, Software application and programming, Web Developing, etc. Studying these courses in Australia opens various career prospects for international students.

Hobart, Canberra and Sydney are the top destinations in Australia for international students. You can expect a higher salary if you end up working for the Banking, Cable & Media, Hospitality or Telecom sectors.

4. Hospitality

Tourism is a booming industry in Australia that not only offers an exciting career but also allows international students to obtain permanent residency. So students with a passion for baking, culinary arts, or hotel management can take up a hospitality course in Australia and turn their dreams into reality. If you are focusing on PR points for Hospitality in Australia, you can choose from a wide range of hospitality courses.

Occupations related to this field which feature in the various Skilled Occupation list include chef, hotel or restaurant manager, club manager, hospitality manager, pastry cooks etc.

These courses will lead you to become a Baker, Chef, Pastry Cook, Bed and Breakfast Operator, Restaurant or Cafe Manager, Licensed Club Manager, Camping or Caravan Park Manager, Accommodation and Hospitality Manager, Hotel or Motel Manager, and much more.

5. Nursing

Australia is considered to be one of the top destinations in the world when it comes to the healthcare industry. Many international students regard nursing as the most favourable occupation.

If you want to study nursing in Australia, you can choose from various nursing specialisations available like Nurse (Surgical), Nurse (Community Health), Nurse (Mental Health), Nurse (Child and Family Health), Nurse (Medical Practice), Nurse (Paediatric) and more.

With the growing population in Australia, there’s also an increasing requirement of skilled medical employees.

6. Education and Teaching

Australia is known for its high-quality education system. After completing courses in the field of Education and teaching, international students can even apply for Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia.

The education and teaching courses in Australia lead to career opportunities like Vocational Education teacher, Primary and Secondary teacher, Pre-Primary teacher, Special Needs teacher, University lecturer and English teacher for non-native speakers.

7. Medical

Pursuing a medical degree in Australia pays you really well as there is a huge demand for healthcare professionals in the Australian healthcare industry.

You can get specialisation in various medical fields such as Physiotherapy, Gynaecology, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedics, Dermatology, Radiology, Oncology, Medical Imaging, General Medicine, Prosthetics, Urology and more. These are the most desired trades in medicine.

8. Dentistry

Studying Dentistry in Australia presents a plethora of exciting career opportunities and leads towards the pathway of Australian permanent residency.Life as a dentist in Australia is challenging but rewarding at the same time.

You can choose between a variety of career paths like general practice, teaching, and more. Additionally, as compared to other occupations, the average salary of a dentist is high and impressive.

Some of the most popular dentistry careers in Australia include Dental Technician, Dental Hygienist, Dental Therapist, and Dental Prosthetist.

Furthermore, as an international student, you can pursue any one of the dental degrees offered by the Australian universities, which includes Bachelor of Oral Health (BOralH), Bachelor of Dental Science (BDSc), Postgraduate programs, and Research Higher Degree.

9. Automotive

Australia has a well-developed automotive industry. It is well known for automobile design and mass production of cars. Universities here offer advanced courses in automobile design that impart the latest technical knowledge and provide training in state-of-the-art facilities which includes industrial training as well.

The rapid growth of the automotive industry has created a constant demand for professionals in this field. Occupations related to this industry which features in the SOL include motor mechanics and automotive electricians.

International students who have studied any of these courses in Australia have better chances of getting a PR visa especially if it appears in the list of in-demand occupations in Australia.

10. Trades and Construction

Given that the construction industry always has a demand, especially for technicians and trade workers such as electricians, carpenters, joiners and plumbers, it’s not surprising that these rank so highly on the most in demand list of professions. There has also been a demand for non-skilled labourers too. So, if you are experienced in this kind of work, you will have an easier time getting work.

The Top 50 Jobs Most In Demand for Migrants in Australia 2019-2020

Rank Job Category Occupation ID Occupation Ceiling 2019-2020
1 Registered Nurses 2544 17,509
2 Software and Applications Programmers 2613 8,748
3 Electricians 3411 8,624
4 Carpenters and Joiners 3312 8,536
5 Secondary School Teachers 2414 8,052
6 Metal Fitters and Machinists 3232 7,007
7 Motor Mechanics 3212 6,399
8 Livestock Farmers 1213 5,934
9 Management consultant 2247 5,269
10 Plumbers 3341 5,060
11 Construction Managers 1331 4,983
12 Solicitors 2713 4,650
13 Sports Coaches, Instructors and Officials 4523 4,071
14 Structural Steel and Welding Trades Workers 3223 3,983
15 Civil Engineering Professionals 2332 3,772
16 General Practitioners and Resident Medical officers 2531 3,550
17 University Lecturers and Tutors 2421 3,407
18 Painting Trades Workers 3322 3,330
19 Other Specialist Managers 1399 3,044
20 Database and Systems Administrators and ICT Security Specialists 2621 2,887
21 Accountants 2211 2,746
22 Chefs 3513 2,738
23 ICT Business and Systems Analysts 2611 2,587
24 Computer Network Professionals 2631 2,553
25 Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teachers 2411 2,294
26 Architects and Landscape Architects 2321 2,171
27 Social Workers 2725 2,128
28 Cabinetmakers 3941 2,112
29 Plasterers 3332 2,100
30 Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics 3421 1,851
31 Psychologists 2723 1,832
32 Health and Welfare Services Managers 1342 1,785
33 Physiotherapists 2525 1,784
34 Wall and Floor Tilers 3334 1,682
35 Bricklayers and Stonemasons 3311 1,610
36 Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers 2335 1,600
37 Auditors, Company Secretaries and Corporate Treasurers 2212 1,552
38 Medical Laboratory Scientists 2346 1,505
39 Environmental Scientists 2343 1,472
40 Electronics Trades Workers 3423 1,313
41 Other Medical Practitioners 2539 1,250
42 Midwives 2541 1,218
43 Medical Imaging Professionals 2512 1,203
44 Special Education Teachers 2415 1,111
45 Artistic Directors, and Media Producers and Presenters 2121 1,098
46 Occupational Therapists 2524 1,082
47 Animal Attendants and Trainers 3611 1,051
48 Electronics Engineers 2334 1,000
49 Other Engineering Professionals 2339 1,000
50 Telecommunications Engineering Professionals 2633 1,000


How To Get Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia?

Did you know every year more than half-a-million students move to Australia?

Migrating to Australia is one of the most attractive options for many people, including international students. Students from the UK, South Africa, and Southeast Asia migrate to Australia to study in top Australian universities.

If you are also planning to relocate to Australia for your further studies, then it is important to apply for a Student Visa. In this guide, we will help you understand the process of migrating to Australia step by step.

1. What is the Australian Migrating Program?

The Australian Migrating program is for everyone. It does not discriminate on the basis of gender, ethnic origin, religion, or colour. If you are a non-resident individual who would like an opportunity to reside, study and work in Australia, you’ll be surprised to know that there are many visa options available to apply such as a skilled visa, a sponsored work visa, a business visa, and a student visa.

You can find an appropriate Australian visa that is meeting your needs with the Visa Finder of the Department of Home Affairs.

2. What is a Permanent Resident (PR)?

A permanent resident of Australia has many entitlements and rights of a citizen, but there are a few differences – A citizen can enter and leave Australia anytime, however, if a PR citizen chooses to travel overseas, he/she needs to make sure that they have a permanent visa with a valid travel authority.

Citizens can also vote in Australian Government elections, but PR visa holders cannot. For both citizens and non-citizens, the eligibility for Australian services and benefits are given by the government agency.

3. Malaysian Students Migrating to Australia through the SkillSelect Migration Program

There are many Malaysian students who want to apply for permanent residency in Australia after they completed their studies. These students choose to migrate to Australia through the SkillSelect migration program. Read on to find out what the SkillSelect migration program is and how it can help you to obtain permanent residency in Australia.

4. What is SkillSelect?

SkillSelect is an online government system that enables aspiring migrants to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI). An EOI is not a visa application. It is proof that you want to be considered for a skilled visa to migrate to Australia.

With the help of SkillSelect, you can either be invited by the Australian government to submit a visa application or you can be nominated for a skilled visa by various Australian employers or state governments. In simple words, SkillSelect simplifies the visa application process and improves skilled migrants employment prospects.

5. Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

A Skilled Independent Visa is a point tested visa that does not require any territory or State nomination. If you are an international student who has graduated in Australia and you are not sponsored by any employer or relative, then you can apply for the Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189).

6. The Skilled Independent Visa Points Test

The visa applicants must obtain the point test pass mark to get permanent residency in Australia. The minimum points needed to receive an invitation for the Skilled Independent Visa application is 65 points.

The Skilled Visa Applicants may score points according to the following criteria:

  • Age (between 18 years to 45 years)
  • English Language Proficiency
  • Educational qualification level (for example diploma, bachelor degree, master degree or doctorate).
  • Overseas or Australian skilled employment experience in a nominated skilled occupation or closely associated field.
  • It is mandatory to complete a two or more years course in Australia.
  • Living and studying in regional Australia
  • Certification in one of the community languages in Australia.
  • Completing a government-authorized Professional Year Program (PYP) in Australia.
7. Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Skilled Independent Visa

You need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect and wait until you receive an invitation to apply for the visa.

When invited to apply for the visa, your age must be under 45 years.

You must go through a medical examination and fulfil the minimum health requirements.

You need to nominate a skilled occupation based on your qualifications and skills. The occupation you choose must be listed on the Skilled Occupation List. You also have to get an appropriate skills assessment for your nominated occupation before creating an EOI.

You are also required to provide a valid English test to demonstrate that you are proficient in English.

Once you received an invitation for the visa, you need to prove that you are of good character. For this, you have to sign an Australian values statement, submit police certificates, qualification evidence, the skills assessment, and other important documents.

For more information on different permanent residency visa options, visit the Department of Home Affairs website the SkillSelect section.

8. How to apply for a Skilled Independent Visa?

If you are planning to apply for a Skilled Independent Visa, then you need to take the following steps:

  • Prepare all information and arrange supporting documents such as English language test results and skills assessments.
  • Check if your occupation is listed on the Skilled Occupation List.
  • Confirm that you meet the basic requirements and score the minimum point test mark.
  • Submit the EOI for the Subclass 189 Visa online through the SkillSelect website.

After completing the EOI process, the system will give results or a points score on the basis of your claims. Your claims will be further processed by SkillSelect, and then if you are invited to apply for the visa, you’ll receive an invitation from SkillSelect.

You’ll get around 60 days to create a valid visa application online. After 60 days, the invitation will expire. It’s important to keep in mind that not everyone who submits an EOI will receive an invitation to apply for the Skilled Independent Visa.

Your Expression of Interest will stay in the SkillSelect database for a maximum of two years. In that period, you can update your EOS and make any changes – for instance, adding qualifications or work experience, or adding another English test to gain more points to support your application.

9. Skilled Independent Visa Cost

The cost for the Skilled Independent Visa 189 application starts at AUD $4,045. Additional charges apply to those visa applicants who want to bring their family members along to live in Australia.

There may be other costs associated with the Skilled Independent Visa such as the police certificate, medical examinations, skills assessments, translated documents and certification, and English language tests.

There is also a different visa option, similar to the skilled independent visa 189, the Skilled Nominated Visa 190 which can bring you the same results through a state sponsorship. When a state in Australia is willing to sponsor you, this visa allows you to gain an additional five points. You can select this type of visa on SkillSelect before submitting your EOS.

Note: fees are subject to change at any time. To stay updated visit the SkillSelect website.

10. Other Options

You can also apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 to obtain a permanent residency later. This visa enables eligible international students to live and work in Australia on a temporary basis after completing their studies for two years.

If you are not able to fulfil the Skilled Independent Visa requirements, then a Temporary Graduate Visa offers a great opportunity for you to stay in Australia to improve your English Language ability or gather skilled work experience. This can improve your chances of gaining permanent residency after some time has passed.

When applying for the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 you need to consider the following points:

The visa applicant needs to have completed a course with a minimum duration of two years in Australia.

There are two work streams associated with the Temporary Graduate Visa – The Post-Study work Stream and the Graduate Work Stream.

Graduate Temporary visa (Subclass 485):

This visa is for migrant students who have studied for two years in Australia. They can live and work here between 18 months and 4 years.

There are two streams for the Subclass 485 visa:

  1. Graduate work: This is for students who have completed 2 years of study in Australia. Their course of study must be related to the nominated occupation. The validity of the visa is 18 months.
  2. Post-study work: This visa is for international students who have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher degree at an Australian institution. They can stay on this visa for up to 4 years. However, these applicants will not need to nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

The length of stay depends on the applicant’s qualifications:

  • Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree – 2 years
  • Research-based master’s degree – 3 years
  • Ph.D. – 4 years

Another alternative is to look for an employer who can provide them with a TSS visa or the permanent ENS 186/ RSMS 187 visa.

Other occupations on the skilled migration list 2019-2020

In total there are over 200 occupations listed on the Skilled Migration list, including some specialist jobs with low ceilings where you may still have a good chance of being accepted if you have the right specialist skills and there are fewer people applying.

Here is a list of some such occupations:

Job Category


Occupation ID Occupation Ceiling


Electrical Engineers 2333 1,000
Chemical and Materials Engineers 2331 1,000
Life Scientists 2345 1,000
Civil Engineering Draftspersons and Technicians 3122 1,000
Multimedia Specialists and Web Developers 2612 1,000
Actuaries, Mathematicians and Statisticians 2241 1,000
Chemists, and Food and Wine Scientists 2342 1,000
Mining Engineers 2336 1,000
Agricultural and Forestry Scientists 2341 1,000
Cartographers and Surveyors 2322 1,000
Economists 2243 1,000
Geologists, Geophysicists and Hydrogeologists 2344 1,000
Land Economists and Valuers 2245 1,000
Other Natural and Physical Science Professionals 2349 1,000
Speech Professionals and Audiologists 2527 1,000
Actors, Dancers and Other Entertainers 2111 1,000
Automotive Electricians 3211 1,000
Barristers 2711 1,000
Boat Builders and Shipwrights 3991 1,000
Child Care Centre Managers 1341 1,000
Chiropractors and Osteopaths 2521 1,000
Electrical Distribution Trades Workers 3422 1,000
Electrical Engineering Draftspersons and Technicians 3123 1,000
Engineering Managers 1332 1,000
Glaziers 3331 1,000
Internal Medicine Specialists 2533 1,000
Music Professionals 2112 1,000
Optometrists and Orthoptists 2514 1,000
Other Health Diagnostic and Promotion Professionals 2519 1,000
Panel beaters 3241 1,000
Podiatrists 2526 1,000
Precision Metal Trades Workers 3233 1,000
Psychiatrists 2534 1,000
Sheet metal Trades Workers 3222 1,000
Sportspersons 4524 1,000
Surgeons 2535 1,000
Telecommunications Technical Specialists 3132 1,000
Veterinarians 2347 1,000



Write your comment or question & our experts will reply you soon

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Please Fill up the Form For Education Advise on Choosing the Right Course & Private University

Want to learn more about which is the right course or the best private university for you? Get answers to your most important questions with expert advise from our knowledgeable and experienced counsellor.

If you are the Parent, please provide your Child’s Details

If you are the parent or sibling or relative, please give the name of the student, not yours.
If you are the parent or sibling or relative, please give the IC number of the student, not yours.
If you are the parent or sibling or relative, please give the email of the student, not yours.
Phone number of the Person Enquiring
Date of completion of your Academic Qualification eg SPM, IGCSE, UEC, A-Levels, etc
List down the courses that you are interested in
List down the universities that you are considering

By filling up the form you accept our Privacy Policy & allow us to share with our partner universities related to your interests. EduSpiral Consultant Services abides by the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) & do NOT sell your Personal Data.

EduSpiral Consultant Services  has more than 20 years experience in the private education industry and is an officially appointed representative for over 20 private colleges & universities in Malaysia.