What will you Study in a Computer Science Degree in Malaysia?
Knowing & Understanding What You Will Study in a Computer Science Degree Course at a Private University in Malaysia
- Computer Science is the study of computer systems including algorithmic processes and the principles involved in the design of hardware and software.
- There are many private universities in Malaysia offering the computer science degree programme however there are key differences between them. Learn what they are in order to decide which one is best for you.
A computer science graduate from a top university in Malaysia is proficient in designing and building software, developing computing solutions and innovating better approaches to addressing computing challenges.
Computer Science concentrates on core concepts and technologies involved in programming a computer. It involves learning programming languages, databases, operating systems, graphics, robotics and other sophisticated technologies.
Many Malaysian students have the misconception that degree programmes with the title “Computer Science” is the same at all universities. They assume that the course content that they will learn are the same at all the universities therefore, it doesn’t matter which university to study at since it’s all the same. They couldn’t be more wrong. Yes, a computer science degree will have similar course content and teach the fundamentals however each university will have it’s own programme focus, unique points as well as facilities. Students have to look through each of the course content to see if they fit their career goals. With more than 20 years in course counselling and helping students to choose the right course, students may contact EduSpiral for free professional advise on which university that would best fit your needs.
You may also be interested to read:
- Which are the Top Computer Science Private Universities & Courses in Malaysia
- Top 10 Universities for Computer Science Degree Courses in Malaysia
- What are the Important Factors in Choosing a Top University to Study Computer Science in Malaysia
- Find Out the Difference Between the Top 3 Computing Courses in Malaysia – Information Technology (IT), Computer Science & Software Engineering
- Top 10 Diploma in Computer Science, Diploma in Software Engineering or Diploma in Information Technology (IT) Course at Top Universities in Malaysia
- Malaysia’s Best Foundation in Information Technology (IT) / Computer Studies
- Computer Science vs Software Engineering Degree Courses at Top Private Universities in Malaysia
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
What will you study in Computer Science at Top Universities in Malaysia?
Computer scientists are primarily concerned with the design of algorithms, languages, hardware architecture, systems software, applications software and tools.
Applications range from simple game playing to the control of space vehicles, power plants and factories, from banking machines to intelligent fault and medical diagnosis.
Computer professionals, in short, are concerned with the creation of computer and information systems for the benefit of society.
Computer science spans a wide range, from its theoretical and algorithmic foundations to cutting-edge
developments in robotics, computer vision, intelligent systems, bioinformatics, and other exciting areas.
We can think of the work of computer scientists as falling into three categories.
- They design and implement software. Computer scientists take on challenging programming jobs. They also supervise other programmers, keeping them aware of new approaches.
- They devise new ways to use computers. Progress in the CS areas of networking, database, and
human-computer-interface enabled the development of the World Wide Web. Now CS researchers are working with scientists from other fields to make robots become practical and intelligent aides, to use databases to create new knowledge, and to use computers to help decipher the secrets of our DNA.
- They develop effective ways to solve computing problems. For example, computer scientists develop
the best possible ways to store information in databases, send data over networks, and display complex images. Their theoretical background allows them to determine the best performance possible, and their study of algorithms helps them to develop new approaches that provide better performance.
Computer science has more to do with theory of the computer and its computing abilities rather than hands-on applications. Computer science is basically the ability to solve a problem or getting the computer to do something without the help of a human.
This field of data is not directly affected by the humans. Computing can also be done by hand and is used by many fields that are not related to primarily developing computers.
Scientists focus on developing algorithms that can create, alter and change the data depending on what they would like. The commands that the computer follows are done by certain algorithm that tells it what to do. Computer science can also be divided into two specializations: theoretical computer science and applied computer sciences.
- The theoretical science focuses on the classical theory of computation, along with other more abstract, logical, and mathematical aspects of computing.
- The applied computer sciences cover topics such as artificial intelligence, computer architecture and engineering, graphic designing, computing science, etc. It deals with mainly applications or additional programs.
Computer science requires a strong mathematical and scientific background. Depending on which university, the courses may vary in teaching subjects. While some universities prefer teaching theoretical aspect of computer science, others focus on advanced programming.
It is important to look at the subjects offered at the private universities in Malaysia when choosing the right computer science course to study. You have to look at the subjects to see whether they fit your academic and career goals. For further advise and assistance in choosing the right course and university, you may contact us for a free consultation.
What are the Subjects Covered in a Computer Science Degree Programme?
Since Computer Science is such a wide field, required Computer Science degree courses vary. A typical list of standard courses that most Computer Science degrees require includes topics such as:
- Programming Principles
- Programming Paradigms
- Data Structures
- Logic & Computation
- Computer architecture
Some schools which place more emphasis on mathematics will also require such courses such as:
- Linear Algebra
- Probability and Statistics
- Combinatorics, Discrete Mathematics
- Differential Equations
Beyond the basic set of Computer Science courses, students can typically choose additional courses from a variety of different fields, such as:
- Theory of computation
- Operating Systems
- Numerical computation
- Real-time computing
- Distributed system
- Computer Networking
- Data Communication
- Computer graphics
- Artificial Intelligence
- Human-computer interaction
- Information theory
- Algorithm design & analysis
- Software testing
Some universities in Malaysia also offer concentrations in a certain area of computer science, such as:
- Artificial Intelligence (Ai)
- Cloud Computing
- Cyber security
- Data Science
- Game Design
- Mobile Computing
What are the Key Areas in Computer Science?
Major fields of Computer Science
|Theory of computation||
|Algorithms, data structures||
|Programming languages, compilers||
|Concurrent, parallel, distributed systems||
|Note: Computer science can also be divided into different topics or fields according to the ACM Computing Classification System.|
What is the Education Pathway to Study a Computer Science Course in Malaysia?
Students after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels may go for the Foundation in Computing or Information Technology, Foundation in Arts or Foundation in Science at top private universities in Malaysia for 1 year before continuing on to the 3-year Computer Science degree. Students will need at least 5 credits including Maths.
With 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels including Maths, students may go for the 2-year Diploma in Information Technology, Diploma in Computer Studies or Diploma in Software Engineering and then enter into Year 2 of the Computer Science degree.
Finally, Pre-University students with the relevant results in STPM, A-Levels, SAM, CPU, AUSMAT, etc. can enter directly into Year 1 of the Computer Science degree at the best university in Malaysia. Foundation in Science programmes from premier private universities in Malaysia are also accepted for entry.
Established since 2009, EduSpiral Consultant Services is a top recruitment agent for private universities in Malaysia to provide information and counselling on courses and helping students to choose the right university. EduSpiral Consultant Services sets ourselves apart from other agents by providing counseling based on facts and evidence so that our students are able to make the right choices after SPM, O-Levels, UEC, STPM, A-Levels or Pre-University.