Best Data Science or Data Analytics Degree Programmes in Malaysia at Top Private Universities
- Data scientists combine statistics, mathematics, programming, problem-solving, capturing data in ingenious ways, the ability to look at things differently to find patterns, along with the activities of cleansing, preparing, and aligning the data.
- List of the top private universities offering the Data Science course in Malaysia.
Malaysia’s national ICT agency Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC) has unveiled a plan, supported by seven public and private institutes of higher learning (IHLs), to increase the number of local data scientists from the current 80 to 2000 by the year 2030. There is a tremendous demand for Data Scientists and Big Data Specialists worldwide now and in the future, with hundreds of thousands of new job opportunities emerging globally. In Malaysia alone, by the year 2030 this need is expected to reach at least 20,000 data professionals and 2000 data scientists. Job demand as well as salary for qualified Data Scientists or Big Data Professionals in Malaysia is high.
Data Science or Big Data Analytics focuses on designing and developing solutions to draw useful insights from the availability of large volumes of data, known as Big Data. Students will receive fundamental training in computer science theories and learn techniques on the processing of Big Data for analytics that can be impactful to business in Malaysia & globally.
Therefore, studying at a Top private University in Malaysia for Data Science would ensure that you will receive the best teaching & learning environment and be well equipped with the necessary knowledge & skills for a successful career. When choosing the course, it is important for students to look at the subjects offered for the Data Science degree at the various universities. Subjects offered are not all the same nor with the same emphasis. EduSpiral Consultant Services is experienced in guiding students to choose the right course so do contact us for advise.
You might also be interested to read the following articles on Data Science
- Top Universities in Malaysia Best for Data Science Degree Course
- Best Data Science or Data Analytics Degree Courses in Malaysia
- All You Need to Know About Data Science or Data Analytics in Malaysia – Studying the Course, Top Universities, Job Demand & Salary
- 3 Steps on How to Become a Data Scientist in Malaysia
- How to Become a Data Scientist in Malaysia? – Get a Degree from the Best University!
- What are the Steps Required for Students to Become a Data Scientist or Data Analyst in Malaysia
- The Best Pathway to Become a Data Scientist in Malaysia is Getting a Degree from a Top University
- How to Become a Data Scientist or Data Analyst in Malaysia
- What’s the difference between a data engineer, a data analyst and a data scientist in Malaysia?
- Job Demand & Salary for Data Scientists in Malaysia According to MDEC
- High Job Demand & Salary for Data Science or Big Data Analytics in Malaysia
- Data Science has Big Job Demand Future in Malaysia
- Job Outlook, Demand and Salary for Data Scientists and Data Analysts in Malaysia
- According to LinkedIn, Demand for Data Scientists in Singapore Increased 17 Times
Do you have any questions for us on this article? Or need advise on choosing the right course and private university? If so, then please fill up the Enquiry Form below. Our team of experts will help you solve your queries at the earliest via WhatsApp.
Study at the Best Universities in Malaysia for Data Science or Big Data
Data is everywhere. In fact, the amount of digital data that exists is growing at a rapid rate—in fact, more than 2.7 zettabytes of data exist in today’s digital universe, and that is projected to grow to 180 zettabytes in 2025.
All this data—from your photos to the Fortune 500’s financials—has only recently begun to be analyzed to tease out insights that can help organizations improve their business. That’s why more organizations are seeking professionals who can make sense of all the data.
Data science, also known as data analytics or data-driven science, is an interdisciplinary field about scientific methods, processes, and systems to extract knowledge or insights from data in various forms, either structured or unstructured, similar to data mining.
Data science is a multidisciplinary blend of data inference, algorithm development, and technology in order to solve analytically complex problems. At the core is data. Millions of raw information, streaming in and stored in enterprise data warehouses. Much to learn by mining it. Advanced capabilities we can build with it. Data science is ultimately about using this data in creative ways to generate business value
Data scientists combine statistics, mathematics, programming, problem-solving, capturing data in ingenious ways, the ability to look at things differently to find patterns, along with the activities of cleansing, preparing, and aligning the data.
Dealing with unstructured and structured data, Data Science is a field that encompasses anything related to data cleansing, preparation, and analysis. Put simply, Data Science is an umbrella term for techniques used when trying to extract insights and information from data.
MALAYSIA has made clear the need to leverage on big data to propel itself into a developed digital economy, with one minister declaring it as key to the nation’s aspirations. The groundwork has been laid down, with the relevant agencies and certain technology multinationals having put their heads together to develop a big data policy framework. There are also plans for the country to appoint a chief data scientist over the next few years, a move aimed at developing local capabilities in data analytics.
In 2015, only 80 data scientists in local industry in Malaysia, targeting 1,500 by 2020. MALAYSIA’S national ICT custodian Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC) said that seven public and private institutes of higher learning in country will be offering data science courses to university students, graduates and working professionals for careers in data analytics.
Five of the top award-winning private universities chosen are
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Monash University Malaysia
- Taylor’s University
- University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU
Award-Winning Asia Pacific University (APU) offers the BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics. On the other hand, UK top ranked Heriot-Watt University Malaysia offers the maths-based BSc (Hons) Statistical Data Science that’s accredited by the Royal Statistical Society as well as the BSc Computing Science (Data Science)
Top ranked private university in Malaysia, Taylor’s University offers the UK Dual Award Bachelor’s (Hons) in Computer Science (Data Science) and finally, the University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU offers the Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) with specialisation in Data Science
Best BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics in Malaysia at Top Ranked Asia Pacific University (APU)
Having won hundreds of awards in computing and IT in Malaysia and globally, Asia Pacific University is the best university in Malaysia to study Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics. Students need to choose the best university or college in Malaysia to study Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics so that they can gain the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in the competitive world of IT.
The BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics programme has been carefully designed by Asia Pacific University (APU) with inputs and contents from their partners, comprising of major technology and software solutions providers, university partners as well as industry organisations who use analytics for strategic and competitive advantage.
The strength of these partnerships endures that the programme comprehensively addresses all key stakeholders – Technology providers, Employers, Government as well as Students – in its learning outcomes, curriculum content, delivery adn assessment. Students also obtain certification jointly issued with industry partners, which would certainly give them a head start in the exciting world of Big Data.
Furthermore, APU is also poised to become a frontrunner in analytics research through the establishment of the Asia Pacific Centre of Analytics (APCA), through which research activities will be undertaken to challenge boundaries in the application of analytics.
Highly Acclaimed BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics at Award-Winning Asia Pacific University (APU)
The School of Computing & Technology at Asia Pacific University (APU) is the oldest and most established school. The school has a strong presence in the industry and is an obvious choice among the school leavers.
The school offers a wide variety of specialised programmes. Asia Pacific University’s programmes are very much industry driven and relevant and our graduates are global citizens and industry ready.
Alumni of the School have progressed into a number of significant careers in leading multinational technology based companies. In line with APU’s vision, the School aims to be a leading provider of high quality computing and technology education and a contributor to research at the national and international level.
This is emphasised by our mission to provide high quality and internationally recognised and benchmarked Technology education and to be recognised for innovative teaching methods and educational activities.
Course Structure for the BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics at Asia Pacific University (APU)
The BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics at Asia Pacific University (APU) programme is specifically designed to provide:
- The ability to develop technical knowledge, skills and background in the design and organisation of computer systems with an emphasis on data analytics.
- The ability to critically evaluate design paradigms, languages, algorithms, and techniques used to develop complex software systems.
- The ability to evaluate and respond to opportunities for developing and exploiting new technologies with data analytics concepts and tools.
Why Study Statistical Data Science at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
The first year of the programme cover basic mathematics, probability and statistics. The final two years focus on specialist topics of statistical modelling and advanced courses in mathematics and data science.The applications of statistical modelling range from economics and medicine, to social and environmental sciences.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia BSc in Statistical Data Science provides a blend of both theoretical and applied elements of modern statistics, and aims to give students the training in modelling, analysing and interpreting real data that is required in the economy, industry and research.
Accreditation of the Statistical Data Science Degree
The degree is accredited by the Royal Statistical Society.
Pending approval, it may be possible for students who have completed the programme to apply for exemptions from up to 4 out of 7 of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) Core Principles professional examinations.
Malaysia’s Top Ranked Taylor’s University Offers the UK Dual Award Data Science Degree
Malaysian students taking the Bachelor’s (Hons) in Computer Science (Data Science) will receive a dual UK award from the University West of England (UWE) and also from Taylor’s University. The Data Science specialisation is part of the computer science programme. Graduates from top ranked Taylor’s University Data Science programme should be able to upload and clean real-world data, make reliable statistical inferences from the cleaned data, use Machine Learning and statistical tools to learn models for data and visualise complex data.
Subjects Taught in the Data Science Degree at Taylor’s University Malaysia
- Statistical Inference and Modelling
- This module will introduce the students to concepts of probability, probability models, random variables, expected value and variance, descriptive statistics and inferential statistics.
- Data Science Principles
- This module covers topics such as Introduction to Data Science processes, Basics of Statistical, Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA), Machine Learning Algorithms, Extracting Meaning from Data, Data Visualisation, Graph Processing and Ethical Issues.
- Data Visualisation
- Students are exposed to various methods of cleaning and preparing data for analysis. They are also taught how to use various visualization techniques for analysis and modeling.
- Data Mining
- This module introduces the knowledge and practical exercise of step-by-step data mining activities involved in various data mining techniques, including clustering, classification, association rule mining, sequential rule mining, anomaly detection and regression analysis, using different types of data.
- Big Data Technologies
- This modules introduces students to big data technologies, starting with MapReduce as a computational model and an execution framework. Students will work with big data tools like Pig, HIVE, Hbase and Spark to realise how the different tools in Hadoop stack fits into the overall picture of big data analytics.
Study Computer Science Specialising in Data Science at the Top Ranked University of Wollongong Malaysia KDU
UOW Malaysia KDU recognises the need to integrate and diminish the gap between industry requirements, practice and technology and academic delivery. Irrespective of the computing stream students choose to study, our syllabus ensure they have a strong grasp in the fundamentals on computing, from programming, to using complex algorithms, and designing, building and testing of applications or systems – all of which are critical in cultivating a graduate who is an analytical thinker and creative problem-solver.
The Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) in UOW Malaysia KDU offers students a strong foundation that allows for the adoption and adaptation of new technologies and new ideas. The programme focuses from theory through programming, to cutting-edge development of computing solutions, and also emphasises the critical areas of the dynamic computing industry through its specialisations:
- Computer Security
- Mobile Computing
- Data Science
Upon completion of this programme, graduates will understand how and why various computer processes operate the way they do and be able to design and develop systems that meet specific requirements. They will emerge as highly sought-after experts with interdisciplinary computer science knowledge and skills; often commanding high salaries in this field.
UOWM KDU syllabus is a direct result of in-depth analysis and collaborations with industry partners to ensure our graduates are not only employable but desirable talents that can integrate seamlessly into the industry. It evolves to stay relevant to current industry needs and practices.
For the specialisation subjects students will take the following at UOWM KDU:
- Introduction to Data Science
- Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- Data Science Toolbox
- Data Visualization and Interactive Design
- Image Processing and Computer Vision
- Natural Language Processing