Best Data Science or Data Analytics Degree Programmes in Malaysia at Top Private Universities
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services WhatsApp 01111408838 for Advise on Choosing the Best Course & University
Malaysia’s national ICT agency Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC) has unveiled a plan, supported by seven public and private institutes of higher learning (IHLs), to increase the number of local data scientists from the current 80 to 2000 by the year 2020. There is a tremendous demand for Data Scientists and Big Data Specialists worldwide now and in the future, with hundreds of thousands of new job opportunities emerging globally. In Malaysia alone, by the year 2020 this need is expected to reach at least 20,000 data professionals and 2000 data scientists. Job demand as well as salary for qualified Data Scientists or Big Data Professionals in Malaysia is high.
Data Science or Big Data Analytics focuses on designing and developing solutions to draw useful insights from the availability of large volumes of data, known as Big Data. Students will receive fundamental training in computer science theories and learn techniques on the processing of Big Data for analytics that can be impactful to business in Malaysia & globally.
Therefore, studying at a Top University in Malaysia for Data Science would ensure that you will receive the best teaching & learning environment and be well equipped with the necessary knowledge & skills for a successful career. When choosing the course, it is important for students to look at the subjects offered for the Data Science degree at the various universities. Subjects offered are not all the same nor with the same emphasis. EduSpiral Consultant Services is experienced in guiding students to choose the right course so do contact us for advise.
You might also be interested to read the following articles on Data Science
- Top 5 Universities in Malaysia Best for Data Science Degree Course
- Best Data Science or Data Analytics Degree Courses in Malaysia
- All You Need to Know About Data Science or Data Analytics in Malaysia – Studying the Course, Top Universities, Job Demand & Salary
- 3 Steps on How to Become a Data Scientist in Malaysia
- How to Become a Data Scientist in Malaysia? – Get a Degree from the Best University!
- What are the Steps Required for Students to Become a Data Scientist or Data Analyst in Malaysia
- The Best Pathway to Become a Data Scientist in Malaysia is Getting a Degree from a Top University
- How to Become a Data Scientist or Data Analyst in Malaysia
- What’s the difference between a data engineer, a data analyst and a data scientist in Malaysia?
- Job Demand & Salary for Data Scientists in Malaysia According to MDEC
- High Job Demand & Salary for Data Science or Big Data Analytics in Malaysia
- Data Science has Big Job Demand Future in Malaysia
- Job Outlook, Demand and Salary for Data Scientists and Data Analysts in Malaysia
- According to LinkedIn, Demand for Data Scientists in Singapore Increased 17 Times
- Top 50 Jobs with High Future Demand in Malaysia
- 30 Jobs with Future High Demand & Salaries in Malaysia – Find Out so you can choose the Best Course to Study Now!
- Study Courses that has High Job Demand in Malaysia
- Top 20 Courses to Study in Malaysia that has High Job Demand & Stable Salary
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Study at the Best Universities in Malaysia for Data Science or Big Data
Data is everywhere. In fact, the amount of digital data that exists is growing at a rapid rate—in fact, more than 2.7 zettabytes of data exist in today’s digital universe, and that is projected to grow to 180 zettabytes in 2025.
All this data—from your photos to the Fortune 500’s financials—has only recently begun to be analyzed to tease out insights that can help organizations improve their business. That’s why more organizations are seeking professionals who can make sense of all the data.
Data science, also known as data analytics or data-driven science, is an interdisciplinary field about scientific methods, processes, and systems to extract knowledge or insights from data in various forms, either structured or unstructured, similar to data mining.
Data science is a multidisciplinary blend of data inference, algorithm development, and technology in order to solve analytically complex problems. At the core is data. Millions of raw information, streaming in and stored in enterprise data warehouses. Much to learn by mining it. Advanced capabilities we can build with it. Data science is ultimately about using this data in creative ways to generate business value
Data scientists combine statistics, mathematics, programming, problem-solving, capturing data in ingenious ways, the ability to look at things differently to find patterns, along with the activities of cleansing, preparing, and aligning the data.
Dealing with unstructured and structured data, Data Science is a field that encompasses anything
related to data cleansing, preparation, and analysis. Put simply, Data Science is an umbrella term for techniques used when trying to extract insights and information from data.
MALAYSIA has made clear the need to leverage on big data to propel itself into a developed digital economy, with one minister declaring it as key to the nation’s aspirations. The groundwork has been laid down, with the relevant agencies and certain technology multinationals having put their heads together to develop a big data policy framework. There are also plans for the country to appoint a chief data scientist over the next few years, a move aimed at developing local capabilities in data analytics.
In 2015, only 80 data scientists in local industry in Malaysia, targeting 1,500 by 2020. MALAYSIA’S national ICT custodian Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC) said that seven public and private institutes of higher learning in country will be offering data science courses to university students, graduates and working professionals for careers in data analytics.
Five of the top award-winning private universities chosen are
- Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- Multimedia University (MMU)
- Taylor’s University
- University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU
Award-Winning Asia Pacific University (APU) offers the BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics. On the other hand, UK top ranked Heriot-Watt University Malaysia offers the maths-based BSc (Hons) Statistical Data Science that’s accredited by the Royal Statistical Society
In addition, ranked Top 300 in the World for Computer Science by QS World University Rankings, Multimedia University (MMU) offers the Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons.) Specialising in Data Science. Top ranked private university in Malaysia, Taylor’s University offers the UK Dual Award Bachelor’s (Hons) in Computer Science (Data Science) and finally, the University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU offers the Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) with specialisation in Data Science
Best BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics in Malaysia at Top Ranked Asia Pacific University (APU)
Having won hundreds of awards in computing and IT in Malaysia and globally, Asia Pacific University is the best university in Malaysia to study Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics. Students need to choose the best university or college in Malaysia to study Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics so that they can gain the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in the competitive world of IT.
The BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics programme has been carefully designed by Asia Pacific University (APU) with inputs and contents from their partners, comprising of major technology and software solutions providers, university partners as well as industry organisations who use analytics for strategic and competitive advantage.
The strength of these partnerships endures that the programme comprehensively addresses all key stakeholders – Technology providers, Employers, Government as well as Students – in its learning outcomes, curriculum content, delivery adn assessment. Students also obtain certification jointly issued with industry partners, which would certainly give them a head start in the exciting world of Big Data.
Furthermore, APU is also poised to become a frontrunner in analytics research through the establishment of the Asia Pacific Centre of Analytics (APCA), through which research activities will be undertaken to challenge boundaries in the application of analytics.
Highly Acclaimed BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics at Award-Winning Asia Pacific University (APU)
The School of Computing & Technology at Asia Pacific University (APU) is the oldest and most established school. The school has a strong presence in the industry and is an obvious choice among the school leavers.
The school offers a wide variety of specialised programmes. Asia Pacific University’s programmes are very much industry driven and relevant and our graduates are global citizens and industry ready.
Alumni of the School have progressed into a number of significant careers in leading multinational technology based companies. In line with APU’s vision, the School aims to be a leading provider of high quality computing and technology education and a contributor to research at the national and international level.
This is emphasised by our mission to provide high quality and internationally recognised and benchmarked Technology education and to be recognised for innovative teaching methods and educational activities.
Course Structure for the BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics at Asia Pacific University (APU)
The BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with specialism in Data Analytics at Asia Pacific University (APU) programme is specifically designed to provide:
- The ability to develop technical knowledge, skills and background in the design and organisation of computer systems with an emphasis on data analytics.
- The ability to critically evaluate design paradigms, languages, algorithms, and techniques used to develop complex software systems.
- The ability to evaluate and respond to opportunities for developing and exploiting new technologies with data analytics concepts and tools.
Why Study Statistical Data Science at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
The first year of the programme cover basic mathematics, probability and statistics. The final two years focus on specialist topics of statistical modelling and advanced courses in mathematics and data science.The applications of statistical modelling range from economics and medicine, to social and environmental sciences.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia BSc in Statistical Data Science provides a blend of both theoretical and applied elements of modern statistics, and aims to give students the training in modelling, analysing and interpreting real data that is required in the economy, industry and research.
Accreditation of the Statistical Data Science Degree
The degree is accredited by the Royal Statistical Society.
Pending approval, it may be possible for students who have completed the programme to apply for exemptions from up to 4 out of 7 of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) Core Principles professional examinations.
Studying Data Science at Top 300 Ranked Multimedia University (MMU)
Multimedia University (MMU) in Malaysia is ranked in the Top 300 QS World University Rankings in Computer Science and Information Systems, 2017. Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya offers award-winning, practical and industry-ready degrees that will allow you to make a real and lasting impact as an ICT specialist. Top Ranked Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya offers the Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons.) Specialising in Data Science.
Multimedia University (MMU) is ranked 179th in Asia according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University rankings for 2018. Having won hundreds of awards, Multimedia University (MMU) offers the best courses in Computer Science in Malaysia.
Therefore, it is undeniably the best university in Malaysia for students to study the Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons.) degree that’s also affordable. 97% of Multimedia University (MMU) students are employed within six months of graduation.
Outstanding Computer Science Majoring in Data Science Degree Course in Malaysia at Top Ranked Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
This three-year Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons.) degree programme at the Faculty of Computing & Informatics at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya equips students with fundamental computing knowledge and the latest technology. In year 1, all students learn common subjects before specialising in one of the following areas – Software Engineering, Information Systems, Game Development or Data Science – in the second year.
Each designed specialisation prepares students with specific skills. Students will also complete a final year project and undergo industrial training to acquire practical industry experience.
- Data Science: Focuses on designing and developing solutions to draw useful insights from the availability of large volumes of data, known as Big Data. Students will receive fundamental training in computer science theories and learn techniques on the processing of Big Data for analytics that can be impactful to business.
Why Study Computer Science at Award-Winning Multimedia University (MMU) in Malaysia
Both Multimedia University’s Faculty of Computing & Informatics and Faculty of Information Science & Technology incorporate industry-led curriculum so you will gain not only technical knowledge and skills, but also relevant soft and management skills. Many of the lecturers are professionals and specialists in their fields who will be able to impart real-life experience and solutions to your learning.
Multimedia University (MMU) also has strong collaborations with global industry leaders who are ready to share their knowledge of cutting-edge innovative technologies to keep you up-to-the-minute with current and future industry needs. MMU was the first private university approved by the Malaysian government.
Multimedia University’s collaboration partners include multinational corporations such as Microsoft, IBM, Dell-EMC, Cisco, Oracle, Intel, Cloudera, Nokia, EC Council, Google, Sun, Novell, Shell, BT, Celcom, CA, and Motorola. Through such partnerships, our staff and students are able to leverage on the latest technologies driving the Malaysian and global ICT scenes.
To give MMU students an extra edge in the job market, the university also conducts numerous professional certification programs via learning centers such as the Microsoft IT Academy, the Cisco Networking Academy, the Oracle Workforce Development Programme, the Cloudera Academic Partnership Programme, the Sun Academic Initiative and the Novell (Micro Focus) Academic Training Partner.
Vendor academy programs (Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, Novell/LPI, Juniper, IBM). Industry-linked Final Year Project. Lectures/Seminars by Industry Partners Visits to IT companies. Incorporation of industrial-standard software and tools in the course content Participation in competitions (e.g. programming competitions)
A study by Gartner and MSC Malaysia found that Multimedia University (MMU) is among the top five universities preferred by major ICT players for graduate employment – a testament to the quality of MMU’s academicians, curriculum, student development programmes and our solid reputation with the industries.
In this constantly evolving digital world, Information and Communication Technology is more important than ever. As ICT continues to transform the way people communicate, learn, work and play, the career prospects for IT graduates are both diverse and rewarding. Whether it’s Bioinformatics or Data Communication, Artificial Intelligence or Information Technology Management, a degree from MMU will definitely hold you in good stead for the future.
The Best Reasons to Study Computer Science & Information Technology at Multimedia University (MMU)
- Ranked World’s Top 300 University for Computer Science & Information Systems
- Academically and professionally certified lecturers (CCNA, CCNP, MCP, MCTS, MTA and Java)
- One of the best teaching labs in private universities, equipped with world-class research and teaching facilities such as SMART and Innov8 labs
- Strong collaborations with multi-national companies such as Cisco Networking Academy, Microsoft IT Academy, Oracle Workforce Development Program, Novell Academic Training Partner, Linux Professional Institute and EC-Council
- Forefront Curriculum Design and Industry Placement Opportunities to bridge academic studies with practical experience
- Be part of a globally ranked university that is listed in the Top 200 QS World University Rankings and continues to strive with solid breakthrough to be at the 179th spot in QS Asia University Rankings.
- Study alongside 1,500 international students from more than 70 countries.
- Experience the best and latest technologies from MMU’s collaborations with major ICT players such as ZTE, Nokia, Intel, Microsoft, Cisco and Motorola.
- Get exposure to some of the best practices of the world’s best universities such as MIT, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, Harvard, USC and Tokyo University.
- Be enthused with Start-up Schemes from the Entrepreneur Development Centre (EDC) to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship ventures.
Malaysia’s Top Ranked Taylor’s University Offers the UK Dual Award Data Science Degree
Malaysian students taking the Bachelor’s (Hons) in Computer Science (Data Science) will receive a dual UK award from the University West of England (UWE) and also from Taylor’s University. The Data Science specialisation is part of the computer science programme. Graduates from top ranked Taylor’s University Data Science programme should be able to upload and clean real-world data, make reliable statistical inferences from the cleaned data, use Machine Learning and statistical tools to learn models for data and visualise complex data.
Subjects Taught in the Data Science Degree at Taylor’s University Malaysia
- Statistical Inference and Modelling
- This module will introduce the students to concepts of probability, probability models, random variables, expected value and variance, descriptive statistics and inferential statistics.
- Data Science Principles
- This module covers topics such as Introduction to Data Science processes, Basics of Statistical, Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA), Machine Learning Algorithms, Extracting Meaning from Data, Data Visualisation, Graph Processing and Ethical Issues.
- Data Visualisation
- Students are exposed to various methods of cleaning and preparing data for analysis. They are also taught how to use various visualization techniques for analysis and modeling.
- Data Mining
- This module introduces the knowledge and practical exercise of step-by-step data mining activities involved in various data mining techniques, including clustering, classification, association rule mining, sequential rule mining, anomaly detection and regression analysis, using different types of data.
- Big Data Technologies
- This modules introduces students to big data technologies, starting with MapReduce as a computational model and an execution framework. Students will work with big data tools like Pig, HIVE, Hbase and Spark to realise how the different tools in Hadoop stack fits into the overall picture of big data analytics.
Study Computer Science Specialising in Data Science at the Top Ranked University of Wollongong Malaysia KDU
UOW Malaysia KDU recognises the need to integrate and diminish the gap between industry requirements, practice and technology and academic delivery. Irrespective of the computing stream students choose to study, our syllabus ensure they have a strong grasp in the fundamentals on computing, from programming, to using complex algorithms, and designing, building and testing of applications or systems – all of which are critical in cultivating a graduate who is an analytical thinker and creative problem-solver.
The Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) in UOW Malaysia KDU offers students a strong foundation that allows for the adoption and adaptation of new technologies and new ideas. The programme focuses from theory through programming, to cutting-edge development of computing solutions, and also emphasises the critical areas of the dynamic computing industry through its specialisations:
- Computer Security
- Mobile Computing
- Data Science
Upon completion of this programme, graduates will understand how and why various computer processes operate the way they do and be able to design and develop systems that meet specific requirements. They will emerge as highly sought-after experts with interdisciplinary computer science knowledge and skills; often commanding high salaries in this field.
UOWM KDU syllabus is a direct result of in-depth analysis and collaborations with industry partners to ensure our graduates are not only employable but desirable talents that can integrate seamlessly into the industry. It evolves to stay relevant to current industry needs and practices.
For the specialisation subjects students will take the following at UOWM KDU:
- Introduction to Data Science
- Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- Data Science Toolbox
- Data Visualization and Interactive Design
- Image Processing and Computer Vision
- Natural Language Processing