Best Universities in Malaysia to Study Computer Security or Cyber Security
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. WhatsApp 01111408838 for the best advise
As technology advances, the number of computer systems in Malaysia and globally has increased dramatically, and the dependence upon them by individuals, businesses, industries and governments have grown. This means that there are an increasing number of systems at risk. Serious financial damage can result from cyber attacks and sometimes even physically.
These cyberthreats take many forms such as application attacks, malware, ransomware, phishing, exploit kits). Unfortunately, cyber adversaries have learned to launch automated and sophisticated attacks using these tactics – at lower and lower costs. As a result, keeping pace with cybersecurity strategy and operations can be a challenge, particularly in government and enterprise networks where, in their most disruptive form, cyberthreats often take aim at secret, political, military or infrastructural assets of a nation, or its people.
Computer security, also known as cyber security or IT security, is the protection of computer systems from the theft and damage to their hardware, software or information, as well as from disruption or misdirection of the services they provide. Cybersecurity refers to a set of techniques used to protect the integrity of networks, programs and data from attack, damage or unauthorized access. According to Forbes, the global cybersecurity market reached $75 billion for 2015 and is expected to hit $170 billion in 2020.
With so much data that needs to be protected from theft or damage, governments and businesses need trained professionals in Computer Security or Cyber Security to ensure sufficient protection. A degree programme in Cyber Security or Computer Security is not easy to study therefore students should choose top universities in Malaysia with a proven track record in information technology education and having won awards as evidence of their capability. The best universities in Computer Security or Cyber Security will ensure that graduates will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to handle the complexities of the job which will result in an excellent career.
You might also be interested to read these:
- Study the Best Cyber Security Degree Course in Malaysia
- Why & How to Choose the Best University to Study Cyber Security in Malaysia
- Job Demand & Salary for Cyber Security Specialists in Malaysia
- Fastest Pathway into Malaysia’s Top Private Universities to Study Computer Science or Software Engineering with the Foundation in Information Technology (IT)
- Top 20 Courses to Study in Malaysia that has High Job Demand & Stable Salary
- Malaysia’s 28 Top Jobs in Demand in Future with High Salaries
- Top 10 Degree Courses in Malaysia with Highest Starting Salaries
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Top Universities in Malaysia to Study Computer Security or Cyber Security
With the ever-increasing integration of technology into our lives—including mobile networks, Wi-Fi and cloud computing applications—there is more need to make sure that those technologies are secured from criminals. As a result, the field of cyber security is growing at a rapid pace.
If you are considering a career in computer science, take a look at programs that offer a bachelor’s degree in cyber security. With the rise in cyber attacks and increasingly complex cyber threats, a bachelor’s degree in cyber security from a top university in Malaysia provides a strong foundation to be prepared for one of the many jobs available in the field.
Top award-winning universities and colleges in Malaysia to study Computer Security or Cyber Security are:
- Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Multimedia University (MMU)
- Taylor’s University
- University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU
The Importance of Studying Computer Security or Cyber Security at a Top University in Malaysia
This rapid market growth is being fueled by an array of technology trends, including the onslaught of initiatives with ever-evolving security requirements, like “bring your own device” (BYOD) and the increasing reliance on computer systems and the Internet, wireless networks such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, the growth of “smart” devices, including smartphones, televisions and tiny devices as part of the Internet of Things (IoT); the rapid adoption of cloud-based applications and workloads, extending security needs beyond the traditional data center; and stringent data protection mandates.
Financial systems, Utilities and industrial equipment, Aviation, Automobiles, Consumer devices, Large corporations, Government, Medical Systems, and more need protection from security breaches.
With so much data that needs to be protected from theft or damage, governments and businesses need trained professionals in Computer Security or Cyber Security to ensure sufficient protection. A degree programme in Cyber Security or Computer Security is not easy to study therefore students should choose top universities in Malaysia with a proven track record in information technology education and having won awards as evidence of their capability.
Malaysia’s best universities in Computer Security or Cyber Security will ensure that graduates will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to handle the complexities of the job which will result in an excellent career.
Cyber Security is a very analytical field that is demanding for everyone. It requires strong analytical thinking skills and quite a bit of creativity to understand how systems can be broken, protected and should be used. Students with a strong background in mathematics tend to do well, as do those who have strong logic skills. If math is not for you, you might want to try formal logic instead. Make sure you take formal logic and that the course focuses exclusively on working logical proofs, which look a lot like mathematical derivations but without the numbers.
What is Cyber Security?
According to Kaspersky, Cyber-security is the practice of defending computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks, and data from malicious attacks. It’s also known as information technology security or electronic information security. The term applies in a variety of contexts, from business to mobile computing, and can be divided into a few common categories.
- Network security is the practice of securing a computer network from intruders, whether targeted attackers or opportunistic malware.
- Application security focuses on keeping software and devices free of threats. A compromised application could provide access to the data its designed to protect. Successful security begins in the design stage, well before a program or device is deployed.
- Information security protects the integrity and privacy of data, both in storage and in transit.Operational security includes the processes and decisions for handling and protecting data assets. The permissions users have when accessing a network and the procedures that determine how and where data may be stored or shared all fall under this umbrella.
- Disaster recovery and business continuity define how an organization responds to a cyber-security incident or any other event that causes the loss of operations or data. Disaster recovery policies dictate how the organization restores its operations and information to return to the same operating capacity as before the event. Business continuity is the plan the organization falls back on while trying to operate without certain resources.
- End-user education addresses the most unpredictable cyber-security factor: people. Anyone can accidentally introduce a virus to an otherwise secure system by failing to follow good security practices. Teaching users to delete suspicious email attachments, not plug in unidentified USB drives, and various other important lessons is vital for the security of any organization.
Students after SPM or O-Levels may go for the Foundation in Computing or Information Technology at top private universities in Malaysia for 1 year before continuing on to the 3-year Cyber Security or Computer Science degree.
With 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels including Maths, students may go for the 2-year Diploma in Information Technology, Diploma in Computer Studies or Diploma in Software Engineering and then enter into Year 2 of the Cyber Security or Computer Science degree.
Pre-University students with the relevant results in STPM, A-Levels, SAM, CPU, AUSMAT, etc. can enter directly into Year 1 of the Cyber Security or Computer Science degree at the best university in Malaysia. Foundation in Science programmes from premier private universities in Malaysia are also accepted for entry.
What are the Subjects that You Will Study in an Undergraduate Cyber Security Programme at a Private University in Malaysia?
When choosing the right university to study the Cyber Security degree at a private university in Malaysia, students should look at the subjects offered. Many students make the mistake in assuming that all subjects and syllabus are the same at all universities and studying at any university doesn’t make a difference. This is not true.
A top private university would ensure that it has the latest up-to-date curriculum taught by qualified and experienced lecturers. The awards won at competitions is also a good indication of the standard of the university in the particular field. The awards are not bought nor for showing off. Having won competitions would show that the students have achieved a high level of understanding and competence in the particular field of study. In addition, the lecturers have the capability to guide and teach the students to reach this level.
Below is a sample of subjects in a cyber security degree that you will study at a top private university in Malaysia.
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- System Analysis & Design
- Security and Forensic Technologies
- Creativity & Innovation
- Object Oriented Development with Java
- Probability & Statistical Modeling
- Professional & Enterprise Development
- Research Methods For Computing and Technology
- System Development Methods
- Ethical Hacking and Incidence Response
- Fundamentals of Mobile Computing
- Mobile & Wireless Technology
- Network Security
- Principles of Networks and Network Design
- System Programming and Computer Control
- Computer Systems Security
- Critical Issues in Managing IS in Organisations
- Design of Corporate Communications Systems
- Information Systems Security Project
- Investigations in Information Systems Security
- Malicious Software and Security Programming
- Penetration Testing
- Voice Over IP Security
- Wireless and Mobile Security
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Computer Crime and Digital Evidence
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Software Engineering
- Computer Systems
- C Programming
- Systems Analysis & Design
- Mathematics for Computing
- Operating Systems
- Software Design
- Database Systems
- Data Communications
- Computer and Network Security
- Object-Oriented Programming using Java
- User Interface Programming and Graphics
- Computing Theory
- Computer Security and Forensics Tools
- Distributed Application Development
- Security Management in Practice
- Computer Intrusion Detection
- Professional Computing Practice
- Artificial Intelligence
- Forensic Computing Practice
Where can You work with a Degree in Cyber Security?
Graduates can find employment as computer security experts such as cybersecurity analysts, forensic computer analysts, software developers, IT analysts and web application developers in many different organisations.