Students nowadays have the opportunity to complete a diploma or degree programme at a private college or university with the support of the PTPN Loan which covers some of the tuition costs at a very low interest rate of 1%. Students must note that the PTPN Loan is not available for Foundation, Pre-University, A-Levels or external courses like the CAT or ACCA.
Students should be wary of colleges that promise them that they are guaranteed the PTPN Loan, the loan is not guaranteed and is generally obtained if you meet all the necessary requirements. The loan is controlled by PTPN and not by the colleges or universities. I had talked to a girl who told me that she was informed by a university that the tuition fees and hostel from Foundation to finishing the degree is only RM14,000. Finally, after investigating, I found out that the cost initially to her is indeed RM14,000 but the thing is that the whole cost of the programme comes up to RM90,000 and the rest of the RM76,000 is parked under the loan which she must still pay back. Be careful of what the university promise you.
Courses that are accredited by the MQA can only be eligible for the PTPN Loan. Certain exceptions are made for courses that are under Provisional Accreditation.
Students are eligible to apply for education loans if they fulfil the following conditions:Malaysian citizens;
- Not exceeding 45 years of age on date of application;
- Passed Malaysia Certificate of Education (SPM) with credits in any 3 subjects;
- Passed SPM for Community College Certificate and Polytechnic Diploma graduates with CGPA 3.0 and above;
- IPTA/IPTS/Polytechnic students must register to pursue courses approved by the IPT Management Department (IPTA/IPTS)/Polytechnic Management Department and Community College of the Ministry of Higher Education;
- IPTS students must obtained the Accreditation Certificate from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA). The course and Accreditation Certificate approval period must still be valid on the date of application;
- All students must possess entry requirements determined by the Ministry of Higher Education to pursue the course. For students with qualifications that differ from that stipulated, verification that the said qualification is equivalent to the required qualification must be obtained from departments or agencies specified as above;
- The remaining period of study upon application must exceed one year;
- Have no other sponsor; and
- Student must have SSPN account before making application.
| HOW MUCH OF PTPTN LOAN WILL I GET? This will depend on the applicant’s financial background and monthly income of the family. You may refer to the table below as a guide:Most Degree Courses
Income Range Loan Amount
Science-related Degree Courses
Income Range Loan Amount
For Pharmacy, Health-sciences and Dentistry Degree Courses the Loan Amount is RM20,000 a year
For medicine (MBBS), the loan amount is RM30,000 a year
If the family income is more than RM4,000 a month, students should also submit documentation if their parents are supporting other siblings’ education, supporting grandparents’ who are hospitalised, etc. This may help in obtaining the full loan amount.
All Diploma Courses
Income Range Loan Amount
Mode of Payment
Payment from PTPN will be made TWICE a year directly into the university’s account. Students must make payment of first semester’s tuition fees to the university and then apply for the PTPN Loan for it to come into effect for the second semester.
Eligibility for the 2nd Payment and onwards
Student must obtain GPA 2.0 and above in order to continue enjoying the loan.
- The first loan payment is released only after the completed agreement is received by PTPTN.
- Subsequent payments will be made after PTPTN receives confirmation from the IPT
- The loan payment is credited directly to the student’s account.
- Repayment of education loan / financing starts 6 months after graduation / education financing. You have between 5-20 years to pay back depending on the loan amount.
- The loan rates are 1% per annum on flat rate
Eligibility and application conditions for graduates who achieved First Class Honours
• Open to undergraduates at public and private higher education institutes who obtained a first class honours (private higher education institute students must pursue courses with Accreditation Certification from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency, MQA).
• Students whose applications were approvedbefore 1 July 2005 are still eligible for the repayment exemption and there is no closing date for the above sponsorship.
• Students who complete their studies by obtaining a bachelor’s degree with first class honours or equivalent from 1 January 2010 based on the approval of the senate and meet the following conditions are eligible to be considered for the incentive of converting the education loan into a scholarship:
o Took the course on a full-time basis;
o Completed their studies within the period stipulated in the PTPTN loan agreement;
o The PTPTN financing does not overlap with any other sponsorship;
o Students must submit a proper application to PTPTN within twelve (12) months of the date of graduation during the convocation; and
o The courses taken by students in private higher education institutes have been accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Document for repayment exemption application
Students who wish to avail themselves of this facility must submit an application to PTPTN by submitting the following documents:
• Official application letter
• Copy of bachelor’s degree with first class honours or its equivalent as certified by the Academic Department of the public/private higher education institute concerned;
• Copy of the examination transcript certified by the Academic Department of the public/private higher education institute concerned;
• Student Declaration PTPTN-P-04/4-2007 Pin.3 (click here) which has been duly completed; and
• Copy of the Accreditation Certification from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Application for education loans can be made as follows:
- Applicants must apply for education financing online through the Online Loan Application Website athttp://www.ptptn.gov.my
- Applicants are allowed to apply based only on the date set by the respective higher education institutes. Information on the dates to make applications in accordance with the relevant institutions can be found on the PTPTN website (http://www.ptptn.gov.my).
- Applicants need to buy a PIN number for RM5.00 which is available at all branches of the Bank Simpanan Nasional through the 3 channels stated below before making the initial registration for education financing application:-
- Automated teller machine(ATM)
- Cash deposit machine (CDM)
The PIN number is valid for only 6 months after the date of application registration (initial registration).
- Applicants must have received the offer of admission to a higher education institute prior to applying for education financing.
- Applicants must have an individual account number in the bank specified by the respective institution, except for applicants studying in an institution that provides the facility of pre-opening bank accounts for its students.
- Applicants furthering their studies at master / PhD (full time) under the financing of the Second Economic Stimulus Package (mini budget) from the Ministry of Higher Education must select a course that begins with the words “Mini Budget” in the Programme / Course Name.
- Applicants can check their application results via the PTPTN Online Loan Aplication Website from the 6th day (working day) after the online closing date prescribed by PTPTN.
- Successful applicants must browse the PTPTN Loan Application Online Website to print the documents listed.
- Please ensure your computer has Adobe Acrobat Reader software for the purpose of printing the document. The software can be downloaded from the website, http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/. Please click on the icon ‘Get ADOBE READER’ and install it on your computer.\
- The documents listed below must be printed on white A4 paper (80 gsm). Print only on one side of each sheet (for each page). The ink must be black.
i. Prepare 2 sets (a printed set and a photocopied set are allowed) of the Education Financing Offer Letter (together with Acknowledgement of Receipt, Approval Letters 1, 2, 3 and 4). Please completeand sign both sets of the documents **.
ii. Prepare 2 sets (a printed set and a photocopied set are allowed) of the Education Financing Agreement. Please complete and sign both sets of documents **.
iii. Prepare 2 sets (a printed set and a photocopied set are allowed) of the Education Financing Agreement Appendix. Students are required to initial on each page in the space provided at the bottom of the document **.
iv. Prepare 2 revenue stamps worth RM10.00 each. Each set of the Education Financing Agreement that has been completed must be affixed with a revenue stamp worth RM10.00 at the top right corner of the front page. (REFER TO APPENDIX A ON THE FINANCING AGREEMENT DOCUMENT.)
The complete sets of the document are for the purpose of filing and reference of theloan recipient and PTPTN.
Recipients are also required to submit ONE (1) COPY of CERTIFIED / SIGNED supporting documents as follows:
- Financing Application Information to be printed by clicking on the PRINT INFORMATION button in the Online Application Website after registration. – This document does not need to be certified
- Copy of the recipient’s identity card. Photocopy of the front and back of the card to appear on the same page.
- Copy of Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM / SPMV). The SPM / SPMV result slip is valid for use only if it does not exceed 2 years from the year of examination.
- Copy of letter of admission offer into a higher education institute. The letter printed from the internet / portal of a higher education institute must be certified by a Group A Officer of the institute concerned only.
- Copy of account passbook (page with the account number displayed) / bank deposit slip / verification of personal account number by the bank specified by the higher education institute. This document is to be provided only in the event of error in the account number in the recipient’s agreement document.
- Copy of examination transcript and other admission qualification certificates.
- Example: STPM / diploma / matriculation / bachelor / master.
- Copy of salary slip / income tax return (individual) / retiree card/ pension statement / income verification letter / letter of confirmation of unemployment – FIRST GUARDIAN (1).
- Copy of salary slip / income tax return (individual) / retiree card / pension statement /income verification letter / letter of confirmation of unemployment – SECOND GUARDIAN (2).
- Copy of pay slip / copy of income tax return (individual) / income verification letter – RECIPIENT (if the recipient is still working).
- Copy of salary slip / income tax return (individual) / income verification letter / letter of confirmation of unemployment – SPOUSE OF RECIPIENT (if the recipient is married)
- Letter of Confirmation / Declaration of the Social Welfare Department / Central Zakat if receiving monthly from the relevant Agency-RECIPIENT COST / parents / GUARDIAN.
- Work Experience Verification Letter from Employer. (For the recipient, the cost of using the experience as one of the entry qualification)For students who submit applications in semester 2 and above, the following additional documents are required:
- Confirmation letters are still learning from the IPT and
- Copy of the results of all previous semesters. (All supporting documents must photocopy of an A4 size paper using qualified and certified officials. Information about the officers eligible to certify documents can be obtainedfrom PTPTN website.)
EduSpiral Consultant Services- Your Personal Online Education Advisor
Established since 2009, EduSpiral Consultant Services helps provide information and counselling on courses and��universities in Malaysia. EduSpiral Consultant Services also represents Northampton University, UK, MDIS Singapore and Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
EduSpiral Consultant Services represents the best colleges and universities in Malaysia offering a wide range of choices for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get.
These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable. EduSpiral provides in-depth information and counseling on their courses so that students are able to make the right choice.
If you are still not sure what to study, please contact us and we will send you a free EduSpiral Career Assessment Form.
Please contact us for more details.
- Whatsapp: +601111408838
- Wechat/Line: EduSpiral88
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/eduspiral
- Foursquare: www.foursquare.com/eduspiral
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/eduspiral
- Follow EduSpiral: www.twitter.com/eduspiral
- Be my friend: www.facebook.com/eduspiral1
- Like EduSpiral: www.facebook.com/eduspiralcs
- Message me: email@example.com
- Website: www.eduspiral.com
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.