Find Out More About the BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security Course Information, at Asia Pacific University (APU) Malaysia
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
The BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security Degree course at Asia Pacific University (APU) is designed to meet the growing demand for Cyber Security Specialists in Malaysia as well as globally.
Asia Pacific University (APU), a top technology private university in Malaysia, has addressed these concerns while demonstrating the university’s strength in providing first-class education in the area of cyber security. As an all-rounded education provider, APU has world-class facilities, qualified academics, industry-relevant syllabus and strong partnerships. Furthermore, Asia Pacific University (APU), students will be trained to become qualified cyber security professionals who are ready to face challenges in the digital world through a wholesome experience.
Asia Pacific University (APU) is an award-winning university for Computing in Malaysia having won hundreds of awards. In addition, they are also a Premier Digital Tech status university. Studying Cyber Security at Top Ranked Asia Pacific University is one of the best choices you can make as a student in Malaysia.
You might also be interested in reading
- Top 10 Reasons to Study Cybersecurity at Asia Pacific University (APU) Malaysia
- Asia Pacific University (APU) is BEST Cybersecurity Education Provider in ASIA
- Asia Pacific University (APU) Wins Regional Cyber Challenge 2019
- Asia Pacific University (APU) Malaysia Sets Up First Cyberthreats Intelligence Centre
- Asia Pacific University (APU) is Top for Cyber Security Course in Malaysia Winning Many Awards
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Course Details, Entry Requirements, Fees and Intakes for the BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security Degree Course at Asia Pacific University (APU)
The BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security degree programme at the top ranked Asia Pacific University (APU) in Malaysia is specifically designed to provide with:
- The ability to develop technical knowledge, skills and background in the design and organisation of computer systems focusing on cyber security.
- The ability to critically evaluate design paradigms, languages, algorithms, and techniques used to develop complex software systems related to cyber security.
- The ability to evaluate and respond to opportunities for developing and exploiting new technologies and applications in cyber security.
Technologically Advanced Cyber Security Labs at Asia Pacific University (APU)
State-of-the-art infrastructure at APU’s CyberSecurity Talent Zone allows students to have real-life exposure within the university’s environment.
With the support of industry partners and Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC), APU continuously responds to the talent demand as they aspire to train and nurture “superheroes” of the digital space who will combat digital crimes and safeguard digital assets when they graduate.
Industry advisory panel consisting of experts from the cyber security field – CompTIA, ISACA, CSM, MDEC, TecForte, Cyber Test Systems, Cyber Intelligence and SecureKi – are involved in designing the curriculum at APU, ensuring the syllabus taught is up-to-date and relevant for students to change and improve the landscape of secure computing.
The full-fledged Cyber Threats Simulation and Response Centre (also known as Cyber Range) and Security Operations Centre (SOC) stream live monitoring data extracted from a database of cyber-attacks worldwide, providing a platform for hands-on practice when it comes to ethical hacking and incident response.APU also houses state-of-the-art infrastructure to complement the delivery of the curriculum.
In 2018, APU launched the nation’s first CyberSecurity Talent Zone, which is now home to military-grade real-time cyber security monitoring systems, research centres and simulation infrastructure to nurture global cybersecurity, networking and IoT talents of the future.
Based on real-time data, APU students learn to monitor, troubleshoot, investigate and escalate security breach issues. These experiences nurture security professionals who are ever-ready to join the cyber security workforce with their practical and technical exposure.
Malaysia’s Award-Winning Cyber Security University – Asia Pacific University (APU)
Asia Pacific University (APU) has won more than 200 awards in the area of technology locally as well as globally.
To win an award is proof that a student has reached a level of capability as well as the quality of the lecturer that has taught and guided the student in the competition.
Moreover, it costs money to participate in competitions, meaning that APU has invested money for her students to gain invaluable experience through these important events. As a student of APU, you will have the opportunity to participate in competitions if you are good and should you win, it will add value to your resume. Future employers will look favorably to outstanding students with top academic knowledge and practical experience.
Additionally, APU’s cyber security students have been excelling in local and international cyber-related competitions.
Moreover, APU has produced digital security superstars, who constantly outperform their peers at national and international level competitions.
Some notable achievements specific to Cybersecurity include the
- CYBERSECURITY EXCELLENCE AWARDS
- 2020 – Gold Winner (Best CyberSecurity Education Provider in Asia)
- 2019 – Gold Winner (Best CyberSecurity Education Provider)
- REGIONAL CYBER CHALLENGE (RCC)
- 2019 – Champion
- 2019 – 1st Runner Up
- “PWN TILL DAWN” HACKATHON BY WIZLYNX GROUP
- 2019 – 4th Place
- 2019 – 5th Place
- 2019 – 6th Place
- Top University Award at the KPMG Cyber Challenge 2018
- KPMG CYBER SECURITY CHALLENGE
- 2019 – 1st Runner Up
- 2018 – Top University Award
- 2018 – Champion (“APT, Malware & Cyber powered by FireEye” track)
- 2018 – Champion (“Engineering & Cyber – powered by IET” track)
- 2018 – 2nd Runner Up (Cyber Security Challenge 2018 – National Finals)
- Champion of the Ernst & Young Asia-Pacific Global Hackathon 2019
- CYBER HEROES COMPETITION
- 2019 – Champion
- 2019 – Most Valuable Player (MVP)
- 2017 – 3rd Place
- 2017 – 4th Place
- Three times champion at the F-Secure Intervarsity Cyber Security Challenge since 2016
- HACKING, DEFENCE AND FORENSICS COMPETITION 2018 Champions
- APPRENTICE INNOVATION & RESEARCH EXHIBITION (AIREX) 2018 Champions
- HACK@10 CYBERSECURITY COMPETITION
- 2018 – Champion
- 2018 – 2nd Runner Up
- 2018 – 10th Place
- 3rd Place in the 2018 “HACK FOR GOOD” CHALLENGE
- 1st Place in the 2016 JOM HACK: SMART CITIES WITH LORA
- GAMIFICATION HACKATHON
- 2016 – Champion
- 2016 – Gold Medal
- Grand Prize Winner in the 2016 ANGELHACK GLOBAL HACKATHON (MALAYSIA)
- 2016 – Champion (Forensic Challenge)
- 2016 – Champion (Hack & Defence)
- UTP-HAX NATIONAL HACKING COMPETITION
- 2015 – 1st Runner-up
- 2014 – 1st Runner-up
- 2014 – 4th Place
- 2014 – 1st Runner-up
- MALAYSIA CYBERSECURITY AWARDS (CYBERSECURITY MALAYSIA)
- 2013 – Award for ‘Information Security Training Provider of the Year’
- 2012 – Award for ‘Information Security Training Provider of the Year’
- 2009 – Award for ‘Information Security Training Provider of the Year’
- HSBC YOUNG IT ENTREPRENEUR AWARDS 2004 – Judges Award for ‘Security Transmitter & Detector’ device
LEVEL 1 Subjects for the BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security Degree course at Asia Pacific University (APU)
Students will learn fundamental skills required by every IT professional, and the basic understanding of programming, mathematical and algorithmic skills.
A sound grasp of mathematical techniques and skills in algorithmic thinking are important pre-requisites for their second and third year studies in this area.
Computer architecture, operating systems, networks, databases, security technologies and forensic tools and techniques are the underlying platforms in cyber security. Introduction to management introduces the third key area, understanding personal and organisational development, along with independent learning and team working skills.
As an elective module, students can choose either Introduction to Object-Oriented or C Programming to strengthen one of their essential skills being computer science degree holders.
- Introduction to Management
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- Fundamentals of Software Development
- System Analysis & Design
- Introduction to Networking
- Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Security Technologies
- Introduction to Forensic Tools & Techniques
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
LEVEL 2 Subjects for the BBSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security Degree course at Asia Pacific University (APU)
A broader range of skills will be learnt, in which students will be involved in designing and implementing software, devising new ways to use computers and developing effective ways to solve computing problems. It spans a wide range, from theoretical and algorithmic foundations to cutting edge developments in all areas of computing.
Successful professionals with a degree in computer science are flexible in performing a range of computing tasks, and extend theories and practice in every area of computing. In the second year, the core modules take development skills to the next level and deepen the understanding of platform technology, while specialised modules will allow them to go further into system & network administration, computing theory, computer systems & low level techniques and implementation of secure systems.
Professional development, fostering creativity and innovation in individuals and teams, and independent learning are continuous themes in the students’ studies at APU. This year ends with an internship that offers the students an opportunity to move outside the classroom and show their professionalism in the workplace.
- Professional & Enterprise Development
- System Development Methods
- Object Oriented Development with Java
- Data Structures
- Enterprise Systems
- Research Methods For Computing & Technology
- Creativity & Innovation
- System & Network Administration
- Computing Theory
- Computer Systems & Low Level Techniques
- Implementation of Secure Systems
Elective Module (Choose 1)
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Web Applications
- Practical CTF Strategies
INTERNSHIP (16 WEEKS)
Students will undertake a short Internship/ Industrial Training for a minimum period of 16 weeks to prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the working environment
LEVEL 3 Subjects for the BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security Degree course at Asia Pacific University (APU)
Students will draw on their previous studies and industrial experience to refine their personal and professional development in the field of computer science, supported by specialised training in project management and new product development.
Students will move further into the focus on other core modules which would help them develop new skills in advanced programming techniques and algorithms, and evaluating applications at the frontiers of current technology.
Specialised modules allows them to extend the capabilities developed from previous studies of system & network administration and secure systems specifically in the area of advanced software security, advanced cyber security, vulnerability assessment & penetration testing as well as deep learning for intrusion detection.
A final year project requires them to investigate and develop a solution for a real-world problem. This provides proof of their ability to combine technical knowledge, critical thinking and analytical skills to achieve a goal, which is an important addition to their personal achievement portfolio.
- Project Management
- Innovation Management & New Product Development
- Advanced Software Security
- Advanced Cyber Security
- Vulnerability Assessment & Penetration Testing
- Deep Learning for Intrusion Detection
- Investigations in Cyber Security
- Project in Cyber Security
Elective Modules (choose 2)
Semester 1 – choose 1
- Cloud Infrastructure & Services OR Internet of Things: Concepts & Applications
Semester 2 – choose 1
- Wireless & Mobile Security OR Database Security
MQA Compulsory Subjects
- Ethnic Relations (M’sian Students)
- Islamic & Asian Civilisation (M’sian Students)
- Workplace Professional Communication Skills
- Employee & Employment Trends
(*All students are required to successfully complete the General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency upon graduation)
Entry Requirements for the BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security Degree course at Asia Pacific University (APU)
|DIRECT ENTRY TO LEVEL 1 OF THE DEGREE:|
|Computer Science / Sofware Engineering / Cyber Security / Intelligent Systems||A Pass in STPM with a minimum Grade C (GP 2.0) in any 2 subjects and a Credit in Additional Mathematics at SPM Level or its equivalent.|
|Computer Science / Sofware Engineering / Cyber Security / Intelligent Systems||2 Passes in A-Level and a Credit in Additional Mathematics at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE OR 2 Passes in A-Level including Mathematics and a Credit in Mathematics at O-Levels.
Note: Overseas qualification maybe accepted if Mathematics in 12th Grade/ A-Level is comparable to Additional Mathematics at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE. Students can be given preferential entry for ICT related subject in SPM/ O-Level/ IGCSE.
|Computer Science / Sofware Engineering / Cyber Security / Intelligent Systems||5 Grade B’s in UEC, including Additional Mathematics.|
|Computer Science / Sofware Engineering / Cyber Security / Intelligent Systems||Passed the APU Foundation programme (minimum CGPA of 2.0) with an acceptable achievement in “Further Mathematics” module and a Credit in Mathematics at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE or equivalent.
Passed a Foundation/Matriculation (minimum CGPA of 2.0) with a Credit in Additional Mathematics at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE or equivalent.
|DIRECT ENTRY TO LEVEL 2 OF THE DEGREE:|
|ICT RELATED DIPLOMAS|
|Computer Science / Sofware Engineering / Cyber Security / Intelligent Systems||APU Diploma (minimum CGPA of 2.5) with a Credit in Mathematics or Additional Mathematics at SPM/ O-Level/IGCSE or equivalent.
Diploma from other institutions with minimum CGPA of 2.5 and a Credit in Additional Mathematics at SPM/O-Level/IGCSE or equivalent.
Note: Students who do not have a Credit in Additional Mathematics in SPM/ O-Level/IGCSE but have an acceptable achievement in Mathematics related subjects during the Foundation which may be equivalent to SPM/O-Level/IGCSE Additional Mathematics, can be accepted into Degree Programmes. Students can be given preferential entry for ICT related subject in SPM/ O-Level/ IGCSE.
Any qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
Note: Student with CGPA above 2.0 and below 2.5 may be accepted using rigorous assessment conducted by APU/APIIT and subject to the approval of the Academic Board.
The duration for the BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Digital Forensics is 3 years with 2 semesters a year. Each semester is 6 months long.
Intakes for the degree programmes are in February, April, September and November of each year. For the exact dates, please WhatsApp 01111408838
Tuition Fees for the BSc. (Hons) Computer Science with Specialism in Cyber Security Degree course at Asia Pacific University (APU)
For the latest tuition fees brochure, please WhatsApp 01111408838.
Career Options for Cyber Security Graduates from Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Cyber Security Engineer / Architect
- Cyber Security Consultant / Specialist
- Cyber Security Incident Response Analyst
- Security Operations Center (SOC) Analyst
- Intrusion Detection Analyst
- Cyber Threat Intelligence Advisor
- Ethical Hacker / Penetration Tester
- Secure Applications Engineer
- Information Security Analyst / Engineer
- Information Security Technical Specialist
- Computer Engineer
- Systems Engineer
- Software Developer
- Cyber Security Governance & Compliance Manager
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)