Best Universities in Malaysia to Study Games Design or Game Technology Degree
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
With a degree in computer games design from a top private university in Malaysia, you will enter into one of the hottest industries in the world. And even if you change your mind during your degree, your design, programming, coding, and engineering skills are going to be sought after in all parts of the technology and computing sector.
However, production values are very high and costs of development are rising partly due to heavy demand, lack of specialized and qualified skilled workers, and the pressure to deliver more within an increasingly shorter amount of time. Hence, there is a need for people who are trained and competent in the workflow of Game Development with very specialized fields of study.
Games technology covers a wide area that includes simulation, programming and adventure features for use in areas such as entertainment, gaming and multimedia. If you’re looking for a career that combines creativity and technical IT skills, then this course is perfect for you, as you will be able to explore games as both a technical and an entertainment medium.
Game developers are amongst the most highly skilled creative talent out there in the creative industry. To be a successful game developer, one not only has to figure out the problems of making a fun and entertaining game but also has to solve the complex production and marketing problems related to the industry.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Top 3 Private Universities in Malaysia for Game Design or Computer Games Technology Degree
With the massive growth of the creative industries, Malaysians are also jumping on the virtual world’s bandwagon to kick-start their careers as game developers. Today, the production of games require a team of highly skilled professionals in the areas of graphic material digitisation, programming of digital sound and characters, and the creation of creative content.
The spur of the Gaming Industry also sparks the interest of other young technology entrepreneurs to venture and explore the Game Development industry. Courses specialising in the game design such as Games Development or Computer Game Technology are being offered by Top private universities in Malaysia such as:
- University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU
- Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Multimedia University (MMU)
Choosing the Best Private University in Malaysia to Study Game Design
Game design degree courses are interdisciplinary in nature, combining artistic and technical coursework to teach students about the design process and gaming industry.
In addition, game design degrees may be focused on the mathematical, software, programming, and technical aspects of video games. While, some programs are focused on video game design students, emphasizing the creative, aesthetic, and historical aspects of the field.
A technical based degree in game design include coursework in programming languages, 3D applications, game mechanics, algorithm analysis, and optics and motion. While a creative game design degree courses incorporate game theory and history, storytelling and scripting languages, art and music fundamentals, and the psychology of gaming.
Those interested in the information technology aspects of gaming will benefit most from the more technical based degree, while those who prefer to focus on the stories, images, and emotions of gaming may find the creative game design degree more suitable. Therefore, it is important to look at the subjects when choosing the game design degree programme. Not all syllabus are the same at the universities.
A game design bachelor’s degree programs last 3 years for full-time students at a private university in Malaysia. This will include internship. A top private university in Malaysia would provide top notch facilities such as alienware computer labs, computer game software, and computer software. Students should also look at the awards won by the university as an indicator of the level achieved by the students and lecturers.
EduSpiral Consultant Services is an officially appointed agent for top private private universities in Malaysia. We have 20 years of experience in providing course information & advise, campus tours, and helping students to make the right choice. Fill in the enquiry form for more information.
Who Should Study Game Design
Many private universities in Malaysia would like to see mathematics on your qualifications, to help with the coding and programming element of a games design course. Other subjects like physics, IT, media studies, and design technology will be useful.
However, mathematics is not a big part of the job for many games designers, particularly if you’re in the creative department dealing with illustration and animation.
For those who have a keen eye for visual aesthetics and 3D Modelling, consider being a game artist. Students who enjoy analysing, writing stories and crafting experiences, can opt to be game designers.
For those who love mathematics, problem-solving and going through lines of codes, they can make game technology their preferred specialisation.
You should demonstrate both the technical (analytics, data handling, and programming) and creative (curiosity, artistic direction, and innovation) qualities that make up a successful games designer.
Studying Game Development in Malaysia
If you’re interested in the technical, visual, and creative aspects of video games, a bachelor’s degree in game design or game development provides the foundation to succeed in the field. Game design degree courses typically emphasize either the technical or artistic side of video gaming and game design, but there are some degrees that offer coursework in both.
Therefore, it is important to look at the subjects when choosing the course. With a degree in computer game design, you can become a video game designer, a graphic designer, an art director, or a multimedia artist.
Top Game Development private universities in Malaysia provide opportunities for creative and technical-minded students to explore multimedia tools, skills, and applications that are essential to staying competitive in today’s gaming culture.
Game design is a very hands on practical course, meaning that it is focused on real-world skills. Everything you’re taught at university will be useful in your future job, so from the start you’ll be encouraged to think like a games designer or developer.
Additionally, you will be given the skills and freedom to develop your own ideas, and part of the syllabus will be to design and prototype your own games. You’ll have to pitch them and develop your skills in digital asset creation, wire-framing, and 3D modelling.
But like all degrees, you’ll start with the basics. The core theories, concepts and methods of game design will help you decide where your passion and specialist skills might lie. Computer science will be at the heart of everything, and the knowledge you collect throughout your course would prove useful in many other sectors including media, technology, marketing, and entertainment.
Students will also have the opportunity to put what they have learnt into practice during their internship. There are basically 3 main areas of Game Design study:
- GAME ART handles the visual components of games. Game Artists have to learn how to create 3D and 2D art assets for various types of games ranging from simple pixel-based graphics to hyper-realistic graphics for total player immersion.
- GAME DESIGN handles the gameplay, mechanics, level and world design as well as storytelling/narrative of electronic games. Game Designers have to learn how games function to construct experiences, including play mechanics, game balancing, social game interaction and the integration of visual, audio, tactile and textual elements into the total game experience.
- GAME TECHNOLOGY focuses on the technical aspects of Games such as physics engines, graphics engine, artificial intelligence and networking. Game Programmers have to learn the optimisation of mainstream algorithms such as path-finding and sorting, and real-time 3D rendering for a ground-up games engine or modification of an existing engine.
What is the Education Pathway to Study Game Design after SPM or IGCSE O-Levels?
Students after SPM or O-Levels may go for the Foundation in Computing & Technology or Foundation in Arts a top private university in Malaysia for 1 year before continuing on to the 3-year Computer Games Development or Game Design degree.
With 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels including Maths, students may go for the 2-year Diploma in Information Technology or Diploma in Game Design and then enter into Year 2 of the Computer Games Development or Game Design degree. Pre-University students with the relevant results in STPM, A-Levels, SAM, CPU, AUSMAT, etc. can enter directly into Year 1 of the degree.
What are the Entry Requirements into the Game Development Degree?
- GCE A Level : 2 Principal Passes (2Es)
- STPM : 2 Principal Passes (2Cs) or CGPA 2.00
- UEC : 5 Credits (5Bs) inclusive of a credit in Additional Mathematics
- Diploma : Pass with Min. CGPA 2.00
- Foundation Studies: Pass with Min. CGPA 2.00
- Any other qualifications deemed equivalent by the Ministry of Education, Malaysia (or as stated in the Document Senarai Nilai Taraf Kelayakan Akademik, Malaysian Qualifications Agency):
- Pass (Subject to review and approval of certified transcripts)
Mathematics Requirement: Students must have obtained a Pass in Mathematics at SPM level; the student who will be pursuing the Game Technology specialization track must have obtained a Credit in Mathematics at SPM level or its equivalent. Candidates without a Pass or Credit in Mathematics at SPM level may be admitted if their entry qualification contain subject(s) of Mathematics and their achievement is equivalent or higher than the required Pass or Credit of Mathematics at the SPM level.
What Subjects will you Study in a Game Design Degree Course in Malaysia?
The degree combines computer programming and mathematical disciplines with aspects of games design. You will acquire a wide range of skills including programming, systems architecture, multimedia technologies, human computer interaction, graphics, animation, sound and video.
Additionally you will develop a strong appreciation of the software design and management processes and principles. On completing the programme you will be able to demonstrate creativity in problem-solving and decision-making in complex situations and also creativity and imagination in design situations.
- Fundamentals of Game Art
- Fundamentals of Game Design
- Fundamentals of Game Development
- Fundamentals of Game Technology
- Game Business and Marketing
- Game Project Studio
- Human Computer Interaction for Games
- Computer Games Design: Documentation
- Computer Games Level Design
- Games Engines
- Games Physics
- Computing & IT in the Workplace
- Fundamentals of Software Development
- Introduction To C Programming
- Introduction to Management
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- System Analysis & Design
- Analogue Games
- Basic 3D Computer Character Modelling
- Believable Models for Games & Virtual Reality
- Computer Games Design: High Concept and Preproduction
- Computer Games Design: Production and Testing
- Computer Graphics
- Imaging & Special Effects
- Mathematics for Computer Graphics
- Programming Concepts in C++
- 3D Computer Graphics
- Advanced 3D Character Modelling and Animation
- Audio For Computer Games
- Computer Games Development Project
- HCI and Usability
- Investigations in Computer Games Development
- Mobile Multimedia & Gaming
- Multimedia Techniques For Animation, Games & Film Effects
- Programming Techniques for Animation & Computer Games
Game Art Subjects
- Digital Drawing
- Digital Imaging
- Animation Principles
- Introduction to 3D Modelling
- 3D Game Modelling and Texturing 1 & 2
- 3D Game Animation 1 & 2
- 2D Game Art Development
- 3D Game Art Development
- Concept Art for Games
- Advanced 3D Game Art
Game Design subjects
- Game Systems Analysis and Design
- Game Social and Culture Studies
- Game Level Design
- Game World Creation
- Game Media Studies
- Game Genre Studies 1 & 2
- Game Narrative
- Multiplayer Game Design
- Game QA and Testing
- Game Support Documentation and Review
- Game Futures
Game Technology subjects
- Fundamentals of Programming
- Logic, Math and Physics for Games
- Object Oriented Programming
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Game Programming
- Object Oriented Systems Analysis & Design
- Mobile Game Development
- Graphics Programming
- Artificial Intelligence for Games
- 3D Game Programming
- Game Engine Architecture and Design
- Data Communication and Networking
Careers in game design require you to work independently and as part of a design team. Computer programmers, art and graphic designers, and software and web developers must work individually on tasks with the ability to bring ideas, project components, and production tasks to a group environment.
A degree in game design prepares you to collaborate with other computer programmers, information technology experts, and creative professionals on new and continuing gaming projects. Art directors and graphic designers also work with teams of artists, managers, and marketers to develop exciting projects that are relevant to the gaming industry.
- Game Art
- 2D / 3D Game Artist
- 2D / 3D Animator
- Concept Artist
- Technical Artist
- Game Design
- Game Content Designer
- Game Designer
- Game Tester
- Interface Designer
- Level Designer
- Story Scripter
- Game Technology
- A.I. Programmer
- Engine Programmer
- Game Programmer
- Graphics Programm