Can UEC Graduates Apply for the PTPTN Loan at to Study at Private Universities?
Malaysian Students who have Completed the UEC may Apply for the PTPTN Loan to Study Degree Programmes at Private Colleges or Universities
- UEC Graduates are eligible to apply for the PTPTN Loan at to study Diploma or Degree Programmes at Malaysia’s Private Universities & Colleges
- PTPTN Education Loan (National Higher Education Fund Board/Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi National) is a financing scheme established by the government to provide education financing for Malaysian students in local institutions.
PTPTN is a special fund established under the Ministry of Higher Education with the objective of offering educational loans to all eligible Malaysian students to pursue their tertiary studies at private or public institutions of higher learning in the country. This loan will enable students to fully or partially pay their fees and their subsistence for the duration of their study in Malaysia only.
Malaysian UEC graduates are eligible to apply for the PTPTN education loan if they fulfil the minimum entry requirements for the degree programme at Malaysia’s private universities. They must possess a UEC certificate and qualify to enter a private college or University.
In order to apply for the PTPTN Loan, UEC graduates must be Enrolled in a Private Tertiary Education Institution (IPTS) that offers a full-time degree or diploma course that is approved by MQA & JPS. Furthermore, the courses must be accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
You might also be interested to read these:
- Top 10 Malaysian Private Universities for UEC Graduates
- 10大指标教你选对课程完成后董总 (UEC)
- Top 10 Tips on Choosing the Best Degree Course after UEC 考试
- What to Study after Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) 华文独立中学统一考试 in Malaysia?
- Choosing the Right Degree Course to Study After UEC in Malaysia
- Clueless about What to Study after UEC 考试
- Top 10 Courses to Study after UEC that has Future High Job Demand & Salary
- Which is the Best Private University in Malaysia to Study after UEC 考试?
- 30 Jobs with Future High Demand & Salaries in Malaysia – Find Out so you can choose the Best Course to Study Now!
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Applying for the PTPTN Loan to Fund your Tertiary Education Studies after UEC
The next step after completing your UEC is to continue on for your tertiary education studies at university. In choosing a course or university to study, finances play an important role in your decision-making. The PTPTN Loan is one of the top choices for students because of its low interest rate.
With the PTPTN Loan, it eases your financial burden and allow you to pursue the course of study without having too much to worry about. UEC graduates who want to apply for the loan may need to take into consideration the criteria, loan amount and the application process.
Students need to have registered for the course of study before they can apply for the PTPTN Loan. In addition, students should wait for the university to brief them on the steps on how to apply for the PTPTN Loan.
Who is Eligible to Apply for the PTPTN Loan?
Here is a list of criteria to be eligible for the loan.
- Applicants must be a Malaysian citizen
- Applicants must be 45 years and below at the time of application
- Already have an offer to study at a local higher education institution, regardless of whether it is public or private (like colleges, universities, and polytechnics).
- Students must pursue courses which have obtained the Accreditation Certificate from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA). The course’s and Accreditation Certificate approval period must still be valid on the date of application
- Pursue a course approved by the Malaysian Ministry of Education and registered with PTPTN.
- Meet the entry requirements and qualifications for the course they intend to pursue. All students must possess entry requirements determined by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) to pursue the course. For students with qualifications that differ from that stipulated, verification that the said qualification is equivalent to the required qualification must be obtained from the departments or agencies specified above
- The remaining period of study upon application must exceed one year
- Applicants require two guarantors that must be the parents of the borrower
- Applicants must have no other sponsor, and
- Applicants must have an SSPN savings account before applying for PTPTN loan
Which Courses are Eligible for the PTPTN Loan for UEC Students?
UEC students may apply for the PTPTN Loan for Diploma or Degree programmes at private colleges and universities in Malaysia. The courses must be accredited by MQA.
How do I apply for the PTPTN loan?
- The application process is as stated below for IGCSE students to apply for the PTPTN Loan. Most private universities and colleges will have a department to assist students in the application. A briefing will be provided as well before you apply.
- Students must take note that they must pay the first semester fees due to the university for their studies. The PTPTN Loan will only be disbursed into the student’s bank account about 2 months after submission of the loan application.
- UEC applicants need to apply through the PTPTN online loan application website at http://www.ptptn.gov.my
- Applicants can only apply according to the application period as determined by the respective HEIs. A guide to the dates to make an application according to the respective institutions can be viewed at the PTPTN website
- Applicants need to purchase a RM5.00 PIN at any Bank Simpanan Nasional branch
- Applicants must receive an offer of admission from the HEI before applying for the education loan.
- Applicants should have an individual account in the bank specified by the respective HEI with the exception of applicants who are currently studying at a HEI that provides the facility of pre-opening bank accounts for its students
- Successful applicants need to log on to the PTPTN online loan application website to print the listed documents
What is the PTPTN Loan Amount?
Education Level for Private Universities or IPTS
|Diploma (Pharmacy, Dentistry or Health Sciences)||12,750||9,560||6,380|
|Science Degree Programme||14,030||10,520||7,010|
|Arts & Humanities Degree Programme||13,600||10,200||6,800|
|Degree Programmes for Pharmacy, Dentistry & Health Sciences||17,000||12,750||8,500|
|Medical Degree or MBBS||30,000||30,000||30,000|
Will I be able to get the Full Loan Amount?
The PTPTN loan is divided into three categories – full, partial and tuition fees only. The amount of the loan is determined by the applicant’s monthly household nett income and number of dependants.
|Category of Education Funding||Monthly Household Nett Income (RM)*|
|Full||Not exceeding 4,000|
|Partial||More than 4,000 but not exceeding 5,000|
|Tuition fees only||More than 5,000|
* The monthly household nett income will be subtracted with the number of dependents (1 dependent = RM250)
Peringkat jumlah pembiayaan ditentukan berdasarkan kelayakan di bawah:-
Sekiranya pelajar atau penjaga pelajar disenaraikan sebagai penerima Bantuan Rakyat 1 Malaysia (BR1M)
75% daripada pembiayaan maksimum
Pendapatan keluarga tidak melebihi RM8,000 (tiada dalam data BR1M)
50% daripada pembiayaan maksimum
Pendapatan keluarga melebihi RM8,000 (tiada dalam data BR1M)
When will I get the Loan?
- The first loan payment is released only after the completed agreement is received by PTPTN.
- Subsequent payments will be made after PTPTN receives confirmation from the IPT
- The loan payment is credited directly to the student’s account.
What is the Rate of Interest for the PTPTN Loan?
PTPTN loans are subject to a flat rate interest of 1% (or ujrah, a syariah-compliant “fee” to help with the administrative and management costs of PTPTN).
In addition, students are required to obtain insurance on the amount borrowed and all the premium deductions will be made on their behalf by PTPTN. All PTPTN loan borrowers will undergo an insurance deduction for the purpose of protecting their loan based on their study period and loan repayment period. The insurance deduction will be done every semester when the loans are disbursed.
When do I Start the PTPTN Loan Repayment?
You have a 12-month grace period after your graduation date, after which you have to start paying off the instalments for the PTPTN loan.
How Long do I have to Pay Back the PTPTN Loan and How much Each Monthly Payment?
The length of time taken to pay back the PTPTN loan is based on the total loan amount taken:
|Total Loan Amount||Loan Repayment Period||Estimated Repayment|
|Less than RM10,000||5 years||Less than RM175 per month|
|RM10,000 to RM22,000||10 years||RM92 to RM202 per month|
|RM22,000 to RM50,000||15 years||RM140 to RM319 per month|
|RM50,001 and above||20 years||RM250 to RM750 per month|
First Class Honours Graduates will Convert their PTPTN Loan into a Scholarship
Students who studied hard and achieved First Class Honours may convert their PTPTN Loan into a scholarship. This means that you do not need to pay back the PTPTN Loan.
If I have applied for PTPTN loan for Diploma, am I able to apply for the loan when I continue into the Degree course?
Students who have applied for the PTPTN Loan for their Diploma studies may apply again for the PTPTN Loan when they enter into their Degree programme.