Best Private Universities in Malaysia to Study a Top Rated Game Design or Computer Games Technology Degree
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
According to Newzoo Global Games Market Report 2021, this year’s global games market will generate revenues of $175.8 billion and by the end of the year, there will be 2.9 billion players worldwide. Furthermore, the games market will grow with a healthy CAGR (2019 to 2024) of +8.7% to reach $218.7 billion in 2024. 2.8 billion of the world’s 3.0 billion gamers this year will play on a mobile device. This is compared to 1.4 billion on PC and 0.9 billion on console. More player growth is imminent, and player growth rates from 2020 to 2021 are already impressive (+5.4%).
The Malaysian National Creative Industry Policies, governed by the Ministry of Communications and Multimedia has identified the gaming industry as one of the ten main categories in the Creative Industry.
In 2018, the Gaming Industry alone contributed USD100 million to Malaysia’s revenue and expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2018-2023) of 10.9 per cent, which will result in a market volume of USD168 million by 2023. Malaysia also ranks 21st worldwide in term of games revenue, with the total amount of USD633 million.
With the massive growth of the creative industries, Malaysians are also jumping on the virtual world’s bandwagon to kick-start their careers as game developers. Today, the production of games require a team of highly skilled professionals in the areas of graphic material digitisation, programming of digital sound and characters, and the creation of creative content. The spur of the Gaming Industry also sparks the interest of other young technology entrepreneurs to venture and explore the Game Development industry. The increased demand for games is good news for students who are interested to design games as a career in Malaysia. Courses specialising in the game design such as game software development, game art and design as well as game programming are being offered by top private universities in Malaysia such as UOWM KDU, Asia Pacific University (APU) and Multimedia University (MMU).
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Top 3 Private Universities in Malaysia for Game Design or Computer Games Technology Degree
- University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU
- Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Multimedia University (MMU)
Students after SPM or O-Levels may go for the Foundation in Computing & Technology or Foundation in Arts a top private university in Malaysia for 1 year before continuing on to the 3-year Computer Games Development or Game Design degree.
With 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels including Maths, students may go for the 2-year Diploma in Information Technology or Diploma in Game Design and then enter into Year 2 of the Computer Games Development or Game Design degree.
Top Computer Games Development Degree Programme in Malaysia at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU
University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU’s Creative Media Department — a component of the
School of Computing and Creative Media — is offering the Bachelor of Game Development (Hons) and Foundation Studies (Art and Technology) programmes. In addition, the Bachelor’s degree programme allows students the option to specialise in any one of the three discipline tracks in Game Development — Game Art, Game Design and Game Technology.
- GAME ART handles the visual components of games. Game Artists have to learn how to create 3D and 2D art assets for various types of games ranging from simple pixel-based graphics to hyper-realistic graphics for total player immersion.
- GAME DESIGN handles the gameplay, mechanics, level and world design as well as storytelling/narrative of electronic games. Game Designers have to learn how games function to construct experiences, including play mechanics, game balancing, social game interaction and the integration of visual, audio, tactile and textual elements into the total game experience.
- GAME TECHNOLOGY focuses on the technical aspects of Games such as physics engines, graphics engine, artificial intelligence and networking. Game Programmers have to learn the optimisation of mainstream algorithms such as path-finding and sorting, and real-time 3D rendering for a ground-up games engine or modification of an existing engine.
The school is pioneering the concept of ‘technological artistry’ in Malaysia, an approach to incorporate creativity into technology in order to produce graduates who will be the bridge between the two fields.
It is also spearheading MyGameDev2020, an Entry Point Project Initiative under the Performance Management and Delivery Unit (Pemandu) Education National Key Results Area (NKEA). UOWM KDU features a state-of-the-art game development studio that is fully equipped with Alienware desktops and a games research and recreation room with the latest games and consoles.
Awards won by the Computing & Game Design Students at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU
- KPMG Cyber Challenge 2019: University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU Wins Top University Award
- Level Up KL 2019 -SEA Game Awards 2019 Nominees – Echoes of You and House of Ignotus by KDU Glenmarie Games
- Best of Tertiary Student category at the MSC-Malaysia Asia Pacific ICT Alliance (APiCTA) 2018
- SCCM’s game development students made headlines during the recent South East Asian game developer’s conference – LEVEL UP KL 2018, by walking away as winner in the ‘Best Student Game’ award category. Eight Game Development students conquer the ‘Best Student Game’ award category with their winning game called Terminus: Lockdown. The award recognizes the overall best game developed by students from the Southeast Asia region. Terminus: Lockdown, is a third-person survival shooter game where the players play the role as a lone Technician trapped in a world filled with deadly parasitic plants infesting the halls of an abandoned space station.
- UOWM KDU Team EzSense, the second runner-up winner for the 23rd International ICT Innovative Services Awards (InnoServe Awards). Their innovative product, EzSense, an IoT- enabled commercial aquaponics monitoring kit using an Arduino microcontroller and LoRa wireless technology.
- Three KDU’s Game Development Alumni walked away with a seed grant worth RM 50,000 and an Adobe Create Cloud license when they came out top as the winner of Intellectual Property Creators’ Challenge (IPCC) 2018 – Commercial Ready Game
- Level Up SEA Game Jam 2017 -Teo Jia Luen, a Bachelor of Game Development student; Lai Ze Ren, a graduate of the same programme, were both in the same team that won the first place and walked away with a cash prize of RM8000. The game which their four-member-team made was a ‘clicker’ type that focused on building the entrepreneurial spirit.Apart from that, Ms Nabilah Raihan Binti Zakaria, a Game Art Lecturer was part of the team that won third place, by providing the visuals for a multiplayer pixel art game.
- Level Up KL 2016 – the largest and most prestigious regional game conference in Malaysia – by being crowned as the top three winners in the SEA Game Jam 2016 together with the inaugural Industry Recognition Award 2016
- MSC- APICTA 2016’s Best of Tertiary Student Category – Creative Multimedia prize for their First Person Co-Op Shooter Game called Combat Infiltration Droid (C.I.D)
- Awarded an Entry Point Project under the Malaysian Government’s Economic Transformation Plan (ETP), spearheading the Game Development Industry in Malaysia.
- MyGameDev2020 is an initiative spearheaded by University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU that represents the start of a strategic collaboration between educational institutions and industry sectors.
- University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU collaborates with Codemasters Studios to develop talent and to build national awareness.
- Bachelor of Game Development (Hons) programme student won The Merit Award for the MSC-Malaysia APICTA 2013 awards under the Best of Tertiary Student Project Category (Creative Multimedia)
- Bachelor of Computing programme won the central zone category for the MyInovasi 2012 competition, a competition organized by the Ministry of Higher Education to promote innovation and creativity.
|2011||Lee Jian Aun (leader), Lee Jian Yi, Gan Chun Meng (School of Computing and Creative Media) Finalist – Microsoft Imagine Cup Malaysia 2011|
|2014||Khor Rui Yen & Chua Yin Fu (School of Computing, Communication & Media Studies) Team Member – The Best Prototype Award – MDeC-Massachusetts Institute of Technology Global Start-up Labs Programme|
Bachelor of Game Development (Hons) at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU
Electronic Games is one of the fastest growing industries in the world economy; it has now become mainstream with net earnings surpassing that of the film industry. The global market for electronic games is expected to grow from $67 billion in 2012 to $82 billion in 2017.
The electronic game industry shows no signs of slowing down with a projected compound annual growth rate of 10.3 percent. In light of this incredible growth – there is a pressing need for game developers with very specialized skills – this degree course aims to cultivate high quality graduates familiar with production processes and aware of what is needed to produce successful games.
The teaching team is actively involved in the industry and is experts at their respective fields. In this unique programme, you are given the opportunity to specialize one of three game development disciplines. If you have a keen eye for visual aesthetics and 3D Modelling, consider being a game artist. If you enjoy analyzing, writing stories and crafting experiences, opt to be a game designer. If you love mathematics, problem-solving and going through lines of codes, make game technology your preferred major. University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU is collaborating with Codemasters Studios to develop talent and to build national awareness.
This collaboration is also aimed at adopting the industry benchmarking and standards for curriculum and assessment methods in our delivery. Codemasters Studios is one of the Britain’s oldest video game development companies and is considered Europe’s largest independent games company with nearly 700 employees worldwide.
Studying Computer Games Design Development at Top Ranked Asia Pacific University (APU) in Malaysia
Students after SPM or O-Levels may go for the Foundation in Computing at Asia Pacific University for 1 year before continuing on to the 3-year BSc. (Hons) Games Development degree.
With 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels including Maths, students may go for the 2-year Diploma in Information & Communications Technology or Diploma in Information & Communications Technology with specialism in Software Engineering and then enter into Year 2 of the BSc. (Hons) Games Development degree at Asia Pacific University.
Pre-University students with the relevant results can enter directly into Year 1 of the BSc. (Hons) Games Development degree. Asia Pacific University (APU) is one of the best universities in Malaysia for IT and computing studies, hence, making it an excellent choice for students interested in pursuing their students in Game Design.
The degree combines computer programming and mathematical disciplines with aspects of games design. You will acquire a wide range of skills including programming, systems architecture, multimedia technologies, human computer interaction, graphics, animation, sound and video.
Additionally you will develop a strong appreciation of the software design and management processes and principles. On completing the programme you will be able to demonstrate creativity in problem-solving and decision-making in complex situations and also creativity and imagination in design situations.
Throughout the programme, you will have the opportunity to strengthen and demonstrate your initiative, personal responsibility, personal enterprise, self-reliance and self-direction – all essential skills for a games programming professional.
The computer games programme at Asia Pacific University benefits from outstanding IT facilities. The teaching team enjoy very good relationships with local and national games employers; their feedback informs the development of the programme’s modules and some also deliver guest lectures.
The Computer Games Development degree programme at Top Ranked Asia Pacific University is specifically designed to provide:
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities required by a technical professional in the field of computer games.
- The ability to critically evaluate the design, logic, and implementation of computer games.
- Facility with advanced techniques for computer graphics and 3D digital animation.
Year 1 Subjects for the Computer Games Development Degree Course at Asia Pacific University
The focus of this degree is the technical aspects of designing and developing interactive computer games – there is little emphasis on ‘creative’ design elements. Modules that provide a foundation for any IT professional include System Analysis & Design, Fundamentals of Software Development, and Introduction to Programming.
Introduction to Management and Computing & IT in the Workplace provide a foundation for multidisciplinary education and understanding personal and organisational development. The specialised modules cover the essentials of computer game logic design and interaction of game elements. Important and relevant skills for independent learning are introduced throughout this level.
Year 2 Subjects for the Computer Games Development Degree Course at Asia Pacific University
Further in-depth games analysis and design skills are developed at Level 2 with Analogue Games and Believable Models, while the two Games Design modules take you through the complete production lifecycle. Basic 3D Computer Character Modelling and Imaging & Special Effects introduce the context of digital representation and manipulation that is the foundation for animation.
In Computer Graphics you will be introduced to APIs that implement graphical transformation algorithms. Animation and digital image manipulation are key areas of study at Level 3. Along with independent learning, a common theme in all APU ICT awards is fostering creativity and innovation in individuals and teams. These themes are the specific focus of the Creativity & Innovation and Research Methods for Computing & Technology modules.
Independent learning continues in all modules but is a particular focus and requirement in Research Methods.
Year 3 Subjects for the Computer Games Development Degree Course at Asia Pacific University
The focus of Level 3 is further development of relevant technical skills and the ability to apply these skills with strong critical thinking and analysis. Advanced techniques for computer graphics and animation are built on the skills acquired at previous levels, and audio for computer games is introduced.
HCI and Usability and Mobile Multimedia & Gaming present approaches to designing and evaluating applications with an emphasis on the user perspective. General personal and professional development is enhanced in Project Management, while Innovation Management & New Product Development continues the theme of generating new ideas and creating new products.
The Computer Games Development Project also develops the academic and practical aspects of your chosen areas of study and reinforces your independent learning skills. This is where you will demonstrate higher level critical thinking, analysis and solutions development skills which will enhance your employability.
World Top Ranked Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya Offers the Best Computer Science Major in Game Development
Top Ranked Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya offers the Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons.) Specialising in Game Development. Multimedia University (MMU) is ranked in the Top 300 QS World University Rankings in Computer Science and Information Systems, 2017.
In addition, their students will learn from Academically and professionally certified lecturers (CCNA, CCNP, MCP, MCTS, MTA and Java). They also have one of the best teaching labs in private universities, equipped with world-class research and teaching facilities such as SMART and Innov8 labs.
Having won hundreds of awards, Multimedia University (MMU) offers the best courses in Computer Science in Malaysia. Therefore, it is undeniably the best university in Malaysia for students to study the Game Development programme that’s also affordable.
Outstanding Computer Science Majoring in Game Development Degree Course in Malaysia at Top Ranked Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
This three-year Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons.) degree programme at the Faculty of Computing & Informatics at Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya equips students with fundamental computing knowledge and the latest technology. In year 1, all students learn common subjects before specialising in one of the following areas – Software Engineering, Information Systems, Game Development or Data Science – in the second year.
Each designed specialisation prepares students with specific skills. Students will also complete a final year project and undergo industrial training to acquire practical industry experience.
Game Development: Integrates fundamental concepts of software engineering with both technical and creative aspects of game design and development. Students are exposed to various types of game production – from 2D to 3D, and from virtual to augmented reality game projects.