List of the Best Private Universities in Malaysia to Study Computer Science
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
It is important to choose the best private university in Malaysia to study your computer science degree so that you will gain the necessary knowledge and skills for a successful career in the competitive field of Computer science (CS) Studying the degree in Computer Science at a top university in Malaysia, one will focus on subjects such as software, databases, and networking. In general computer science degrees tend to focus on the mathematical and theoretical foundations of computing rather than emphasizing specific technologies In addition, Computer science is composed of many broad disciplines, including artificial intelligence (ai) and software engineering.
While it can be difficult to choose between private universities or colleges in Malaysia offering the Computer Science Degree Course, you will find that there are some key differences between them that can help you make the big decision in choosing the right one that fits you.
Job demand for computer science or computing graduates is high in Malaysia and globally. The gap between the demand for information and computer technology (ICT) talent and the supply of that talent is large. According to the Digital Talent Report commissioned by Malaysia Digital Economy Corp (MDEC) in 2017, Malaysia’s digital talent demand was expected to grow by 15% annually, that would require more than 540,000 jobs by 2020.
One of the aims of studying is to obtain a stable job that will have future demand and high salary in order to take care of our family. Therefore, choosing to study computer science at a top private university in Malaysia is the first step to reach that goal.
You may also be interested to read:
- Which are the Top Computer Science Private Universities & Courses in Malaysia
- Top 10 Universities for Computer Science Degree Courses in Malaysia
- What are the Important Factors in Choosing a Top University to Study Computer Science in Malaysia
- Find Out the Difference Between the Top 3 Computing Courses in Malaysia – Information Technology (IT), Computer Science & Software Engineering
- Top 10 Diploma in Computer Science, Diploma in Software Engineering or Diploma in Information Technology (IT) Course at Top Universities in Malaysia
- Malaysia’s Best Foundation in Information Technology (IT) / Computer Studies
- Computer Science vs Software Engineering Degree Courses at Top Private Universities in Malaysia
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Best Computer Science Programme at Top Private Universities in Malaysia
A computer science graduate from a top university in Malaysia is proficient in designing and building software, developing computing solutions and innovating better approaches to addressing computing challenges.
Computer Science concentrates on core concepts and technologies involved in programming a computer. It involves learning programming languages, databases, operating systems, graphics, robotics and other sophisticated technologies.
- Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus
- Multimedia University (MMU) Cyberjaya
- Multimedia University (MMU) Melaka
- University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus
- University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU, Utropolis Glenmarie campus
- Monash University Malaysia
- First City University College
- UOW Malaysia KDU Penang
- HELP University
What is the Pathway to Study a Computer Science Course in Malaysia?
Students after SPM or O-Levels may go for the Foundation in Computing or Information Technology, Foundation in Arts or Foundation in Science at top private universities in Malaysia for 1 year before continuing on to the 3-year Computer Science degree. Students will need at least 5 credits including Maths.
With 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels including Maths, students may go for the 2-year Diploma in Information Technology, Diploma in Computer Studies or Diploma in Software Engineering and then enter into Year 2 of the Computer Science degree.
Finally, Pre-University students with the relevant results in STPM, A-Levels, SAM, CPU, AUSMAT, etc. can enter directly into Year 1 of the Computer Science degree at the best university in Malaysia. Foundation in Science programmes from premier private universities in Malaysia are also accepted for entry.
Established since 2009, EduSpiral Consultant Services is a top recruitment agent for private universities in Malaysia to provide information and counselling on courses and helping students to choose the right university. EduSpiral Consultant Services sets ourselves apart from other agents by providing counseling based on facts and evidence so that our students are able to make the right choices after SPM, O-Levels, UEC, STPM, A-Levels or Pre-University.
Best Computer Science Degree Courses at Top Ranked Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Foundation in Computing & Technology
- Diploma in Information & Communications Technology
- Diploma in Information & Communications Technology with specialism in Software Engineering
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with Specialism in Data Analytics.
The Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU) is amongst Malaysia’s Premier Private Universities, and is where a unique fusion of technology, innovation and creativity works effectively towards preparing professional graduates for significant roles in business and society globally. APU has earned an enviable reputation as an award-winning University through its achievements in winning a host of prestigious awards at international and international levels.
APU was announced as among the Highest Rated Emerging Universities in Malaysia, being rated at 5-STAR (EXCELLENT Rating) under the SETARA 2017 Ratings by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE). APU has maintained this Excellent Rating in the SETARA 2011, 2013 and now in 2017.
Asia Pacific University (APU) has been RATED No. 1 in Asia and Malaysia for its multicultural learning experience by Student Barometer Wave 2014, ‘Studying with people from other cultures’ and also ranked Tier 5 ranking or Excellent in SETARA by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Furthermore, APU is awarded Premier Digital Tech University status in Malaysia by Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC). An impressive 95% of APU’s graduates obtain jobs before graduation. Asia Pacific University (APU) is the best university to study Computer Science in Malaysia as evidenced through the hundreds of awards that the university’s students and staff have won.
Top Ranked Taylor’s University offers First Rate Computer Science Degree Courses
- Foundation in Computing
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) at Taylor’s University
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) (Computer Security and Forensics)
Established in 1998, Taylor’s Computing & IT offers a range of career-focused programmes from diploma, degree and postgraduate programmes, where graduates continue to meet industry standards, filling out the talent pool in ICT.
Taylor’s motto, “Driving Innovation Through Technology” aims to provide students with ample opportunities to influence the future of the modern world – pioneering the frontiers of Computing and Information Technology with a positive impact on society.
Taylor’s University industry relevant curriculum is a result of a comprehensive practical content using relevant and latest learning technologies, a conducive environment and multiple strong collaborations including close ties to the industry, professional bodies, government agencies, and academia. With these valuable partnerships, the School encourages and enables students to undertake innovative projects in its quest to nurture budding technopreneurs.
Taylor’s School of Computing and IT (SOCIT) offers dual award degree programmes in collaboration with the Department of Computer Science and Creative Technologies, University of the West of England (UWE), UK. A quality review committee, comprising academics from both institutions, is established for quality assurance and the moderation of the standards of the programmes, which includes curriculum and assessment. Students will receive certification and academic transcripts from both Taylor’s University and UWE upon completion of their degrees at Taylor’s.
Taylor’s University retained its position as the top choice among Malaysian private universities by employers in the 2020 QS World University Rankings results which ranked the institution in the top 1 per cent globally. Over 70% of Taylors University’s graduates are employed within 2 months. Taylor’s University is also awarded the Premier Digital Tech University status by MDeC.
World Top Ranked Computer Science Courses at Multimedia University (MMU)
As the first private university approved by the Malaysian government, top ranked Multimedia University (MMU) adheres to the strictest requirements for a high quality degree. A study by Gartner and MSC Malaysia found that MMU is among the top five universities preferred by major ICT players for graduate employment — a testament to the quality of MMU’s academicians, curriculum, student development programmes and our solid reputation with the industries.
Furthermore, MMU is awarded Premier Digital Tech University Status 2017 by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) and the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC). And they are ranked Top 300 QS World University Ranking for Computer Science & Information Systems, 2017.
In addition, Multimedia University falls within the Top 200 QS Asia University Ranking 2018 due to their holistic education and excellent academic reputation. Multimedia University (MMU) has won hundreds of awards throughout the years making it one of the Top Private Universities in Malaysia.
- Foundation in Information Technology (Melaka and Cyberjaya)
- Diploma in Information Technology (Melaka)
- Diploma in Business Information Systems (Melaka)
- Diploma in Information Technology (Cyberjaya)
- BIT (Hons) Data Communications and Networking (Melaka)
- BIT (Hons) Information Technology Management (Melaka)
- BIT (Hons) Security Technology (Melaka)
- BIT (Hons) Artificial Intelligence (Melaka)
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Bioinformatics (Melaka)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) (Cyberjaya)
Outstanding Computer Science Courses at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU, Utropolis Glenmarie campus
University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU, Utropolis Glenmarie campus, an institution that has over 36 years of history and experience, believes in providing real world education and has been successful in producing competent graduates and preparing students for top universities all over the world.
The University of Wollongong (UOW) is an global network of campuses, students, graduates and academics. Beyond Australia, UOW delivers transnational global education programs to its campuses in Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia and China, providing opportunities for students to gain a UOW degree outside Australia.
Students after SPM or O-Levels who have a passion for computer science in Malaysia can join the 2-year Diploma in Computer Studies or Foundation in Arts & Technology at University of Wollongong (UOW) Malaysia KDU, Utropolis Glenmarie campus before continuing on into the Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) majoring in 3 areas:
- Mobile Computing
- Computer Security
The best computing courses offered at the
- Foundation Studies (Art & Technology)
- Diploma in Computer Studies
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons)
- Bachelor of Game Development (Hons)
- Bachelor of Software Engineering (Hons)
Affordable High Quality Computer Science Degree Course at First City University College
- Foundation in Engineering, Science & Technology
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Information System (Business Management)
- Diploma in Information Technology (Mobile Computing)
- Bachelor of Software Engineering (Hons)
- Bachelor of Computer Science ( Intelligent Systems) (Hons)
- Bachelor of Information Systems (Honours) in Business Management
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Mobile Computing) (Hons)
First City University College is a private higher education institution established in 1990 by the First Nationwide Group. First City University College is the best value for money with a purpose-designed, fully equipped campus with sports and recreational facilities, and located on a 13-acre site within Bandar Utama.
Top Rate Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) at UOWM KDU Penang
The Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) degree program at UOW Malaysia KDU Penang University College is designed to produce quality graduates who grasp a sound technical knowledge of the broad aspects of computer science. The program also provides an understanding of computer science as an academic discipline. This degree is validated by the University of Lincoln and upon successful completion of the program graduates are awarded two degree certificates.
The courses offer a comprehensive study program which covers a wide range of topics including object-oriented programming, artificial intelligence, mobile computing and computational mathematics, using languages and tools such as Java, C++, Android, SQL, and Python.
During this degree, you will study the techniques that underpin such areas as complex computing systems, computer graphics, computer security, web technology, mobile computing and artificial intelligence. If you wish to get a computer science degree in Malaysia, UOW Malaysia KDU Penang, Batu Kawan is definitely one of the top choices available.
You will also develop your technical skills in programming, software design, computer systems and operations. In addition, you will acquire a wide range of transferable skills that are sought after by many employers. At UOW Malaysia KDU Penang University College, we emphasize of enriching students with the necessary skillset and knowledge needed to excel in the modern working world. As a testament to our programs, our graduates enjoy high employment rates.
Students after SPM or IGCSE O-Levels with at least 5 credits including Maths & Physics may enter into the Foundation in Science or Foundation in Arts for 1 year before continuing on to the 3-year Computer Science degree.
Alternatively, students with at least 3 credits in SPM or IGCSE O-Levels including Maths and 1 Science subject may enter the Diploma in Information Technology (IT) for 2.5 years and then upon completion enter into Year 2 of the Computer Science degree for another 2 years.
Information & Multimedia Technology Courses at UOW Malaysia KDU Penang University College
- Diploma in Information Technology (IT)
- Bachelor of Software Engineering (Hons)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons)
- Bachelor of Information Systems (Hons)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) in Computer and Network Technology
HELP University’s Computer Science Degree Programme
- Foundation in Arts
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) Games & Interactive Media
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Hons), HELP University
- BSc (Hons) Electronic Games & Interactive Media, HELP University
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Hons)
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Hons) Mobile Computing
- Business Information Management, HELP University
- Bachelor of Information Technology (2 + 1 Credit Transfer Programme)
- Bachelor of Information Technology Honours (2 + 2 Credit Transfer Programme)
- Bachelor of Engineering (2 + 2 Credit Transfer Programme)
- Credit Transfer to the University of Queensland
- Transfer to Other Universities
Ever since its founding in 1986 to provide affordable quality educational opportunities for Malaysians, HELP University has developed into one of the best universities in Malaysia with a firmly established international reputation among universities, research organisations, scholars, business and corporate leaders and governments in Asia Pacific, Europe and North America. Students interested in Computing & Information Technology (IT) Courses at HELP University can choose to study at their Damansara Heights campus.
HELP University is Ranked as Very Good or Tier 4 in the SETARA 2013 & SETARA 2011 by MQA. The top university rank achieved by HELP University affirms their commitment and position as one of the best universities in Malaysia.
Studying at Computer Science Degree Programme at a Top University in Malaysia
Computer Science is about understanding computer systems and networks at a deep level. Computers and the programs they run are among the most complex products ever created by humans; designing and using them effectively presents immense challenges.
A degree in computer science can be expected to concentrate on the scientific aspects of computing, while a degree in information technology can be expected to concentrate on the business and communication applications of computing
The computer science degree is primarily focused on subjects such as software, databases, and networking. In general computer science degrees tend to focus on the mathematical and theoretical foundations of computing rather than emphasizing specific technologies.
The degree is a Bachelor of Science degree with institutions conferring degrees in the fields of information technology and related fields. This degree is awarded for completing a program of study in the field of software development, software testing, software engineering, web design, databases, programming, computer networking and computer systems.
Many employers require software developers or programmers to have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science degree; however, those seeking to hire for positions such as network administrators or database managers would require a Bachelors of Science in Information Technology or an equivalent degree.
Computer science offers a foundation that permits graduates to adapt to new technologies and new ideas. The work of computer scientists falls into three categories:
- designing and building software;
- developing effective ways to solve computing problems, such as storing information in databases, sending data over networks or providing new approaches to security problems; and
- devising new and better ways of using computers and addressing particular challenges in areas such as robotics, computer vision, or digital forensics (although these specializations are not available in all computer science programs). Most computer science programs require some mathematical background.
What will you study in Computer Science at Top Universities in Malaysia?
Since Computer Science is such a wide field, required Computer Science degree courses vary. A typical list of standard courses that most Computer Science degrees require includes topics such as:
- Programming Principles
- Programming Paradigms
- Data Structures
- Logic & Computation
- Computer architecture
Some schools which place more emphasis on mathematics will also require such courses such as:
- Linear Algebra
- Probability and Statistics
- Combinatorics, Discrete Mathematics
- Differential Equations
Beyond the basic set of Computer Science courses, students can typically choose additional courses from a variety of different fields, such as:
- Theory of computation
- Operating Systems
- Numerical computation
- Real-time computing
- Distributed system
- Computer Networking
- Data Communication
- Computer graphics
- Artificial Intelligence
- Human-computer interaction
- Information theory
- Algorithm design & analysis
- Software testing
Some universities in Malaysia also offer concentrations in a certain area of computer science, such as:
- Artificial Intelligence (Ai)
- Cloud Computing
- Cyber security
- Data Science
- Game Design
- Mobile Computing
Major fields of computer science
|Theory of computation||
|Algorithms, data structures||
|Programming languages, compilers||
|Concurrent, parallel, distributed systems||
|Note: Computer science can also be divided into different topics or fields according to the ACM Computing Classification System.|
Computer Science is the study of computer systems including algorithmic processes and the principles involved in the design of hardware and software.
Computer scientists are primarily concerned with the design of algorithms, languages, hardware architecture, systems software, applications software and tools. Applications range from simple game playing to the control of space vehicles, power plants and factories, from banking machines to intelligent fault and medical diagnosis. Computer professionals, in short, are concerned with the creation of computer and information systems for the benefit of society.
Computer science spans a wide range, from its theoretical and algorithmic foundations to cutting-edge
developments in robotics, computer vision, intelligent systems, bioinformatics, and other exciting areas.
We can think of the work of computer scientists as falling into three categories.
- They design and implement software. Computer scientists take on challenging programming jobs. They also supervise other programmers, keeping them aware of new approaches.
- They devise new ways to use computers. Progress in the CS areas of networking, database, and
human-computer-interface enabled the development of the World Wide Web. Now CS researchers are working with scientists from other fields to make robots become practical and intelligent aides, to use databases to create new knowledge, and to use computers to help decipher the secrets of our DNA.
- They develop effective ways to solve computing problems. For example, computer scientists develop
the best possible ways to store information in databases, send data over networks, and display complex images. Their theoretical background allows them to determine the best performance possible, and their study of algorithms helps them to develop new approaches that provide better performance.
Computer science has more to do with theory of the computer and its computing abilities rather than hands-on applications. Computer science is basically the ability to solve a problem or getting the computer to do something without the help of a human. This field of data is not directly affected by the humans. Computing can also be done by hand and is used by many fields that are not related to primarily developing computers.
Scientists focus on developing algorithms that can create, alter and change the data depending on what they would like. The commands that the computer follows are done by certain algorithm that tells it what to do. Computer science can also be divided into two specializations: theoretical computer science and applied computer sciences.
- The theoretical science focuses on the classical theory of computation, along with other more abstract, logical, and mathematical aspects of computing.
- The applied computer sciences cover topics such as artificial intelligence, computer architecture and engineering, graphic designing, computing science, etc. It deals with mainly applications or additional programs.
Computer science requires a strong mathematical and scientific background. Depending on which university, the courses may vary in teaching subjects. While some universities prefer teaching theoretical aspect of computer science, others focus on advanced programming. It is important to look at the subjects offered at the private universities in Malaysia when choosing the right computer science course to study. You have to look at the subjects to see whether they fit your academic and career goals. For further advise and assistance in choosing the right course and university, you may contact us for a free consultation.