Study the American Degree Transfer Program (ADP) at the Best Colleges & Universities in Malaysia
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
Malaysian students planning to study in the USA can do so with the American Degree Transfer Program (ADTP) offered at top private colleges. With at least 5 credits, students after SPM from Malaysia can enter the American Degree Transfer Program (ADTP) for 2 years before continuing on to one of the universities in the USA for the final 2 years. This will allow parents to save substantially on tuition fees and cost of living while studying in Malaysia. The American education system is different from the rest of the world and students need to research and understand it before embarking on their studies.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Top Private Universities & Colleges in Malaysia for the American Degree Transfer Program (ADTP)
Students after SPM or O-Levels planning to study partly in the USA can go for the American Degree Program (ADP). Students will take the General Studies for 2 years in Malaysia and then transfer their credits to their university of choice in the USA for the final 2 years.
Some of the best private colleges offering the American Degree Transfer Program (ADTP) in Malaysia are:
Understanding the American Undergraduate Education System
There is no “Foundation or Pre-U” in the USA education system. Students after high school will enter directly into 4 years of degree studies. Students complete (on average) two years in the ADP and the remaining two years at universities in the United States.
The American undergraduate system is a 4-year degree program after SPM or O-Levels. Malaysian students gain direct entry to university level after completing secondary school.
In the first 2 years, students will take general subjects before going into more specific subjects related to their degree of choice when they go to the USA. Depending on what major you take, the college will advise you on which subjects to take that are transferable to the universities. A major is the degree of choice like engineering, IT, business, actuarial science, aerospace engineering, accounting, etc.
At year 1, students need to choose the major so that you take the right subjects. During Year 2, students should identify the universities of choice to apply to in the USA. Normally, it is advised to apply to at least 3 universities just in case one application gets rejected
The American Degree system after SPM or O-Levels is Year 1 (Freshman), Year 2 (Sophomore), Year 3 (Junior) and finally Year 4 (Senior).
- Freshman (Year 1)
- You will be able to choose from a wide range of subjects in Business, Foreign Languages, English, Mathematics, Social Sciences, Humanities, Physical and Life Sciences as General Education Requirement (GER) subjects.
- Sophomore (Year 2)
- You will be able to choose subjects that are related to your desired major. Choose the university that you are interested to go to so that you can match the subjects from Taylor’s University, KDU College Damansara Jaya or HELP University to the university of choice in the USA.
- Take the TOEFL or IELTS and begin university applications.
- Junior (Year 3)
- You would need to complete the compulsory subjects for your degree major.
- Senior (Year 4)
- You will get to pick subjects to specialise in your degree.
American Learning Style
The American undergraduate degree provides an education that emphasises problem-solving, critical thinking and decision-making skills. American education provides a flexible, holistic and well-rounded approach to education. It produces graduates with strong critical and analytical thinking skills with the ability to put knowledge into action.
- The curriculum is broad based and flexible.
- Students are allowed to switch major if they decided to do so even after 2 years of studies.
- Students are required to take courses outside of their major (commonly known as the liberal arts education philosophy).
- Continuous learning and testing system (70% coursework, 30% final examination) where students are involved in projects, teamwork, presentation, extra- and co-curricular activities.
- The education is learning-driven instead of exam-driven. Students are groomed to be all rounded team players with strong critical thinking and communication skills.
- Students are expected to speak, ask, and challenge your instructors during discussions in / outside of class.
Sample Subjects for the Two Years of the General Education Studies for the American Degree Program (ADP)
Students are expected to complete the General Education Requirement and Major Related Courses that will total an average of 51–73 credits credits. MAJOR RELATED COURSES to complete, 20-30 credits.
|GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT COURSES||CREDITS||TO COMPLETE|
|General Biology 1 with Lab||4||4-8|
|General Chemistry 1 with Lab||4|
|General Physics 1 with Lab||4|
|Biochemistry with Lab||4|
|Introduction to Anthropology||3||3|
|Introduction to Public Speaking||3||3-6|
|English Composition 1||3||3|
Entry Requirements into the American Degree Transfer Program
- Entry Requirements: 5 credits in SPM or 5Bs in UEC
- Duration: About 2 years before transferring to the USA
- Number of Subjects per semester: While a 12 credit (4 subjects) schedule in a regular semester is considered full-time study, you may carry 5 subjects (15-17 credits) in one semester.
- Credit Hours: Students will take about 60 credit hours (20 subjects) before transferring to the USA.
Choosing the Right University in the USA after your ADP in Malaysia
Identifying the university that you want to go to can be challenging as there are thousands of universities in the USA. Taylor’s University, KDU College and HELP University has an extensive list of partner universities where the subjects have been approved for transfer into their university.
ADP students are advised to narrow down their university choices by region, size of university, cost of living and fees, programme offered, and number of subjects accepted for transfer.
State universities in the USA
State universities are founded and subsidised by the US government. Tuition is lower than private universities, and in-state residents (those from that state) pay significantly lower than out-of-state residents. Total enrolment is usually over 20,000
students. International students are classified as out-of-state residents and may have to fulfill higher admission requirements than in-state students.
Private Universities in the USA
Private institutions are funded by endowments, tuition fees, grants and alumni donations. Tuition fees tend to be higher than at state universities and no distinction is made between in-state or out-of-state residents. These institutions tend to have a smaller enrolment than state universities. Religious-affiliated institutions, which are numerous in the US, are private.
Cost of Studying in the USA
It is cheaper to study in the Midwest than to study in the East Coast or West Coast of the USA. Cost of living will vary depending on how much you use.
|Tuition Fee Per Year||RM||Cost of Living||RM|
Academic Calendar in the USA
The university year usually starts in September (Fall) and ends in May. It is often divided into two semesters as well as a shorter, more intensive summer term. The summer term allows students spread out their course load over the year, or complete their undergraduate degree in less time. Students can also join the January intake which is called the Spring semester.
Best University in Malaysia to Study the American Degree Transfer Program (ADTP) at Taylor’s University
Since 1996, Taylor’s University has successfully transferred thousands of students to top universities in the USA. 87% of Taylor’s University ADTP students transfer to Tier 1 (Top 200) U.S. universities . The results of Taylor’s University holistic educational environment is evident in the string of Taylor’s University American Degree Program students who have been accepted into Tier 1 universities in the U.S., including those in the prestigious Ivy League. This makes Taylor’s University one of the best universities in Malaysia to study the American Degree Transfer Program (ADTP).
Successful University Placements for the American Degree Program (ADP) at Taylor’s University
Dedicated University Placement Support
- One of the key success factors of ADP is the strong support and guidance provided by the University Placement Center, which enable students to apply and secure places at their university of choice.
ADP University Placement Center provides:
- Counseling sessions
Arranging visits of American and Canadian university representatives to inform and educate students on the application process and requirements
- Step-by-step counseling advice
Guidance from the Center
Reference materials and resources needed for their university application process.
University Resource Center at Taylor’s University
We have an extensive resource center packed with information on hundreds of universities in America where students can find out about majors offered, facilities, rankings and course fees, among others. Our dedicated placement counselors will assist students in applying for transfer to overseas universities. More than that, briefings and counseling are organized regularly to furnish information on the criteria and requirements of the respective universities.
University Representative Visits
Every semester Taylor’s ADP will also arrange for representatives from the universities to come and meet the students. Students should take this opportunity to talk and find out all the need from the university that they are interested in transferring to.
Taylor’s University Students Transferred to Tier 1 U.S. Universities
- 87% of our students transfer to Tier 1 (Top 200) U.S. universities .
- The results of our holistic educational environment are evident in the string of Taylor’s ADP students who have been accepted into Tier 1 universities in the U.S., including those in the prestigious Ivy League.
- We are proud to be among the few higher educational institutions in Malaysia who have consistently churned out ADP graduates who meet the stringent requirements and application procedures of some of the most elite universities in the U.S. and in the world.
- Our students’ continued success in securing placements in these high-ranking institutions not only reflects the effectiveness of our teaching practice, but also speaks volumes about the level of care, support and guidance that we provide to them as part of their journey here at ADP.
Study in the USA through KDU College Damansara Jaya American Degree Transfer Program
KDU College is the first college to offer the America Degree Transfer Program in Malaysia. Thousands of students have successfully transferred to top universities in the USA through the ADP.
The American Degree Program (ADP) is perfect for students who intend to study in an American-style liberal arts environment as it is designed to prepare students with the skills and knowledge to continue their education in the United States. Designed as a direct route into a degree pathway, the ADP’s liberal arts education system is flexible, supports the spirit of inquiry and fosters a culture of idea exchange by focusing on critical thinking. This falls in line with the ideal that students will reach their full potential in the midst of a diverse environment they helped to create, which will open more doors to various communities around the world.
KDU is the first education institution to introduce the American Degree Program (ADP) to Malaysians in 1983. As a pioneering educator in this field, we have enabled thousands of students to transfer to over 500 universities and colleges across the United States for over 30 years.
HIGH LEVEL OF FLEXIBILITY
Students undergo two years of liberal arts studies before deciding on a major in specific disciplines. They are free to pick a combination of science and arts subjects, depending on what they prefer.
A small student-to-teacher ratio ensures each student gets the attention he/she needs to excel. Lecturers are highly experienced and trained to give students a well-rounded education and the confidence to think and communicate indepeneantly
EASY TRANSFER TO UNIVERSITIES ALL OVER THE WORLD
Contrary to its name, the programme allows you to transfer to not only American universities but also to institutions in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. Since its inception, thousands of students have transferred to more than 500 universities and colleges in the USA with the help of our supportive university placement services.