How to Become a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) in Malaysia?
The CFA®, a graduate-level program of the CFA Institute in USA, is designed to develop competencies and professionalism required in investment management and advisory services. A CFA Charter is widely recognized by investors, investment practitioners, employers, regulators and the media in Malaysia and globally as the highest ethical, education and professional standard in an investment community. The CFA will develop competencies in the implementation of global investment strategies. With a CFA® qualification, it helps you to boost career prospects. Therefore, CFA charter-holders are highly sought after in the job market in Malaysia.
You might also be interested to read:
- Top Jobs in Malaysia in Banking, Finance & Investment and their Salaries
- High Job Demand for Finance, Banking & Investment Degree Graduates in Malaysia
- Top Banking and finance jobs in Malaysia – What you can work as
- Finance, Banking & Investment are Top Most In Demand Jobs with High Salaries in Malaysia
- Best High Salary Job in Malaysia in Banking & Finance
- Job Demand for Finance, Banking & Investment in Malaysia
- Best Financial Technology (Fintech) Degree Courses in Malaysia – What are the Subjects, Course Details & Entry Requirements,
- How to Choose a Top Private Universities in Malaysia to Study Banking & Finance Course
- Best University to Study Finance, Investment & Banking in Malaysia
- Top 10 Private Universities in Malaysia for Banking, Finance & Investment Courses
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Society Malaysia
A professional certification program of CFA Institute in the USA is designed to develop competencies & professionalism required in investment management and advisory services.
The CFA Society Malaysia promotes ethical and professional standards within the investment industry and professional development through the CFA Program.
BENEFITS OF CFA SOCIETY MEMBERSHIP
- Network with peers in the industry
- Be part of an effectual and common voice to develop and protect the interests of the profession
- Stay abreast of trends that affect the industry in your market
- Take advantage of local professional development opportunities
- Socialize with industry insiders
- Take advantage of discounts to dynamic and educational local programs
- Access additional resources, such as job announcements and newsletters
Benefits of the CFA Charter
Global Recognition of the CFA
The CFA Program is the most widely recognized and respected qualification in investment across the globe. When you earn the CFA charter, clients and colleagues will respect you for the expertise displayed.
Career Advantage In the face of globalization and internationalization, employers and clients require professionals who demonstrate competencies in the implementation of global investment strategies. The first line of professionals sought are CFA charters. With a CFA qualification, it helps you to boost career prospects.
Practical Skills The CFA Program curriculum focuses on the practical knowledge and current skills required in investment management, together with professional codes of conduct in investment professions.
The Program is designed to prepare you for a wide range of investment specialties that are applicable in many parts of the world. More importantly, this knowledge and skill can be applied immediately to your job. Community Earning a CFA qualification will place you as part of an elite global community of nearly 90,000 investment professionals. You will be associated with the other charter-holders around the world who share the strong commitment to the highest standards of investment education, ethics, and professional excellence.
CFA Charter By Job Occupations
- Portfolio Manager
- Research Analyst
- Chief Executive
- Relationship Manager
- Risk Manager
- Financial Advisor
- Corporate Financial Analyst
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Private Banker
- Performance Measurement
Specialist By Sectors of Employment
- Fixed Income
- Private Equity
- Hedge Funds
- Real Estate
- Structured Products
- Foreign Currency
- Venture Capital
Become a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Charter holder in Malaysia
The CFA charter sets the standard as the most highly respected designation in the investment management profession. Earning the CFA charter demonstrates you have the knowledge, skills, and experience needed for investment analysis and management in today’s dynamic global markets.
Because the practice-analysis based curricula and ethics foundation are so highly valued:
- The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) curricula are incorporated into more than 300 business school programs around the world.
- The CFA charter is often listed by hiring firms as a prerequisite for employment.
Enrolling in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program gives you access to:
- Membership in the world’s largest association of investment professionals.
- Local market and regulatory expertise through CFA member societies in more than 70 countries.
Global recognition of the CFA Program means that:
- Many regulatory agencies offer waivers from licensing exams.
- Graduate school programs offer waivers from admission exams (e.g., the GMAT).
- Many financial and investment-related certification organizations grant waivers from qualifying exams or continuing education requirements.
Steps Leading to the Acquisition of a CFA Charter
To be a CFA charter, one must fulfill both the education and work experience requirements.
Why Choose the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program in Malaysia?
In the case of Finance graduates, one of the professional qualifications that can be pursued is the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). This is especially necessary if graduates intent to work in banks or take up careers such as Financial Analysts, Fund Managers and Risk Managers. Although this does not accord exemptions in the actual CFA exams, students can be rest assured that the course contents are aligned with the CFA Candidate Body of Knowledge and positions them well when they actually do take the exams.
- The CFA Program curriculum covers concepts and skills you will use at all stages of your career.
- The self-paced, online format makes it easier for you to continue working while you complete the program.
- Completing the CFA Program shows employers and clients you have mastered a broad range of practical portfolio management and advanced investment analysis skills.
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program Course of Study
The CFA® Program bridges current practice, investment theory, and ethical and professional standards to give you a strong foundation of advanced investment analysis and real-world portfolio management skills.
The CFA Program course of study includes the Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK), the curriculum content, learning outcome statements (LOS), and the topic area weights.
Updates to the course of study are informed by our ongoing practice analysis, which includes feedback from practicing investment professionals, security market regulators, university faculty, and policymakers. Learn more about our practice analysis process and updates to the 2016 curriculum.
The course of study is organized into three levels and each level requires passing a six-hour exam. The program curriculum increases in complexity as you move through the three levels:
- Level I: Focuses on a basic knowledge of the ten topic areas and simple analysis using investment tools
- Level II: Emphasizes the application of investment tools and concepts with a focus on the valuation of all types of assets
- Level III: Focuses on synthesizing all of the concepts and analytical methods in a variety of applications for effective portfolio management and wealth planning
- Candidates report dedicating in excess of 300 hours of study per level to prepare for each exam.
How Long Does it Take?
- For each exam level, plan on at least six months of preparation
- Successfully complete the three exams sequentially and accumulate 48 months of approved work experience
- Successful candidates take an average of four years to complete the program
- Level I : January, July
- Levels II, III : January
- A minimum of 2 ½ years to complete all levels
- Level I : June, December
- Level II, III : June
About the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program Exam
The CFA Program includes a series of three exams; Levels I, II, and III. The exams:
- Are offered annually — at test centers around the world — on the first Saturday in June. The Level I exam is also offered in December.
- Must be passed sequentially.
- Are available in English only.
- The exam content, learning focus, and question format increase in complexity with each level.
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Curriculum Content and Learning Focus
An example showing the increase in complexity is the ethical and professional standards curriculum content. This content is similar for each exam level; however, candidates are asked different types of questions:
- Level I tests your knowledge of the ethical and professional standards.
- Level II tests how you apply those standards to situations analysts face.
- Level III tests how you apply the standards in a portfolio management and compliance context.
- Level I exams consists of basic knowledge and comprehension questions focused on investment tools; some questions will require analysis.
- Level II exams emphasize more complex analysis, along with a focus on valuing assets.
- Level III exams require synthesis of all the concepts and analytical methods in a variety of applications for effective portfolio management and wealth planning.
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Programme Curriculum
The CFA Program is drawn from a broad Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK) that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities you will need to succeed in the workplace. The Program is organized into 4 functional areas, with 10 general topics, as indicated below.
Ethical and Professional Standards
- Ethical and Professional Standards Investment Tools
- Quantitative Methods
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Corporate Finance
- Equity Investments
- Fixed Income Investments
- Alternative Investment
Portfolio Management and Wealth Planning
- Portfolio Management and Wealth Planning
Enrol and Register for Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Exams in Malaysia
Entrance Requirements for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
To enroll in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program and register for your first exam, you must have:
To become a CFA Program candidate, you must fulfill one of the following entry requirements:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, or
- Be in the final year of your Bachelor’s degree at time of registration, or
- Have four years of qualified, professional work experience, or
- Have a combination of work and college experience of at least 4 years.
(Note: Summer, part-time, and internship positions are not applicable)
Other requirements of the CFA Institute include:
- Meet the professional conduct admission criteria (During the application process, you will be asked to sign Statements of Professional Conduct and Candidate Responsibility),
- Be prepared to take the examinations in English, and
- Have a valid international travel passport.
Upon fulfilling all of the above requirements, you may enroll yourself as a CFA Program candidate online at cfainstitute.org
Study at the Best Universities in Malaysia for Banking & Finance
Before taking the exams to become a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), students after SPM or O-Levels would need to go for the Foundation in Business or Foundation in Arts. After completing the Foundation, you will proceed to the Banking and Finance degree courses offered at the private universities. Upon graduation, you can then proceed to your next step of becoming a CFA.
In order to succeed in the competitive banking & finance industry, students must choose the best universities in Malaysia to study. The best university doesn’t necessarily mean the most expensive. Students should choose the right university that fits them which has a good reputation for business programs, excellent facilities, top lecturers and an English-speaking student environment.
EduSpiral Consultant Services- Your Personal Online Education Advisor
EduSpiral Consultant Services represents the best colleges and universities in Malaysia offering a wide range of choices for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get. These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable.
EduSpiral Consultant Services represents the best colleges and universities in Malaysia offering a wide range of choices for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get.
These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable. EduSpiral provides in-depth information and counseling on their courses so that students are able to make the right choice.
If you are still not sure what to study, please contact us and we will send you a free EduSpiral Career Assessment Form.