Find Out What you will Study in a Financial Technology (Fintech) Course in Malaysia – The Subjects, Course Details and Entry Requirements
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services. For more information contact 01111408838
With the advancement of new technology brings new challenges and opportunities, it is important that Malaysia’s higher education play a key role in producing graduates equipped with the skills that employers will need. The explosion of the internet and the mobile internet has catalyzed the rapid development of financial technology (Fintech). The Fintech industry covers businesses that use technology within financial services to improve a product or service for customers and this covers everything from payment methods to setting up bank accounts. Job demand for Fintech in Malaysia & globally is high and keep rising. Salaries and remuneration packages for Fintech graduates are very attractive as well.
The Financial Technology (Fintech) degree course will give students a mix of theory and practical skills and experience in order to support the growth of this vital sector in our economy. Now more than ever businesses need employees with the knowledge and skills to advise on how they can grow within the financial services sector.
You might also be interested to read:
- Financial Technology (Fintech) is a Top Emerging Job in Malaysia with High Job Demand & Salary
- A Fantastic Career Opportunity with Financial Technology (Fintech) as it has High Job Demand & Salary in Malaysia
- Growth in Job Demand for Information Technology (IT) & Fintech in Malaysia
- Top 20 Information Technology (IT) & Computing Jobs in Demand in Malaysia
- 13 Top Technology Courses Malaysians Must Study to Land Jobs of the Future
- Top 50 Jobs with High Future Demand in Malaysia
- 30 Jobs with Future High Demand & Salaries in Malaysia – Find Out so you can choose the Best Course to Study Now!
For more information on the top private universities and colleges in Malaysia, Whatsapp 01111408838
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Studying the Financial Technology (Fintech) Course in Malaysia
What is Fintech?
Financial Technology (FinTech) is an emerging engineering discipline that focuses on employing technological innovations in financial practices. Leveraging on the cutting-edge developments of engineering, particularly information technology and data sciences, it demonstrates an unprecedented potential to revolutionize the nature of the traditional financial service industry in a fundamental way.
The advents of digital currencies, crowdfunding platforms, robot investment advisors, big data analytics, and algorithm-driven trading strategies profoundly impact the ways people make payments online and offline, store and manage their wealth, and finance their businesses.
On one hand, FinTech significantly improves end-users service experience, making the financial industry more inclusive and productive. On the other hand, it imposes a crucial challenge of understanding and analyzing its social benefits and risks economically, technologically, and legally, so as to foster its healthy developments. Nowadays FinTech has gained tremendous momentum and applicability in the finance industry, creating a great amount of employment opportunities to accommodate innovative young talents.
What is the Job in Fintech like?
Fintech graduates will be ideally suited for positions that require strong quantitative and technological skills in the financial services industry. Prospective career opportunities in Malaysia include investment and commercial banking, insurance, asset management, Internet finance, government regulatory agencies, FinTech startups, and so on. Graduates can also pursue further advanced studies in finance, management sciences and engineering, computer sciences, information engineering and related fields.
What will you Study in a Fintech Degree Course in Malaysia?
- Quantitative and Statistical Methods
- Introduction to Management
- Business and Communication Skills
- Financial Accounting 1
- Business Economics
- Introduction to Banking and Finance
- Financial Accounting 2
- Essentials of FinTech
- Business Law
- Financial Statement Analysis
- The Financial System
- Banking Instruments & Procedures
- Times Series & Forecasting
- Enabling FinTech
- Law of Banking and Finance
- Financial Econometrics
- Business Research Methods
- Financial Management
- Data Mining & Predictive Modelling
- Workplace Professional Communication Skills
- Employee and Employment Trends
- Digital Currencies and Blockchain Technologies
- Crowdfunding and Alternative Lending
- Risk Management in Banking
- Financial Derivatives
- Corporate Finance
- International Banking and Investment
- Investigations in Financial Technology
- Building Customer Relationships
- Portfolio Management
- Financial Technology Project
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Robo Advisor
- FinTech Governance, Risk Management & Compliance
What are the Entry Requirements for the Fintech Degree Course in Malaysia?
- Pass STPM with minimum 2 grade C+ ( CGPA 2.33 ) in 2 subjects and a credit in mathematics and pass English at SPM
- Pass A Level with minimum grade C in 2 subjects and a credit in mathematics and pass English at O Level or equivalent
- Pass matriculation / Foundation with minimum CGPA 2.50 and a credit in mathematics and pass English at SPM or equivalent
- 5 Grade B’s in UEC including Mathematics and Pass in English at SPM or equivalent
- Canadian Pre-University (CPU) with minimum average of 50%; or
- South Australian Matriculation Certificate (SAM) with minimum of 65%; or
- International Baccalaureate with minimum 24 marks;
- Victorian Certificate of Education with minimum average of 50%;
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma with minimum average of 50%;
- A qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
- International Students must possess a minimum score of 5.5 in IELTS or equivalent.
Where to Study Fintech Course in Malaysia?
In response to the technological advancements affecting the future jobs in Malaysia, Asia Pacific University (APU) and Taylor’s University has offered 2 different degree programmes specialising in Financial Technology (Fintech).
Asia Pacific University (APU) is offering the Fintech specialisation via the finance route through their Bachelor in Banking & Finance with Specialism in Financial Technology (Fintech) while Taylor’s has taken the accounting pathway by offering the Bachelor in Accounting (Fintech) (Honours).
Both top private universities are the first to offer their one-of-a-kind Fintech degree specialisations. Students taking these courses will definitely be job ready and future proof when they graduate with the relevant skills of the future.
Asia Pacific University (APU) Offers the Best Fintech Specialisation in the Bachelor’s in Banking and Finance Degree
If you are looking for private Universities where you can study fintech courses at undergraduate level, Asia Pacific University (APU) was the first University to offer fintech courses to undergraduate students in Malaysia.
A consortium of finance and technology players have inked an agreement to launch Malaysia’s first academic qualification to include Fintech modules. SuperCharger, Asia Pacific University (APU) and the Centre for Finance Technology and Entrepreneurship (CFTE) collaborated to create multiple Fintech modules as part of the Bachelor’s Degree in Banking and Finance. The modules will be taught from the first quarter of next year. Therefore, APU will be the first university in Malaysia to offer the Bachelor in Banking & Finance with Specialism in Financial Technology (Fintech).
The fintech modules that will be offered include subjects on data mining, predictive analytics, digital currencies, blockchain technologies, crowdfunding and alternative lending, robo-advisory, and entrepreneurial finance—which were selected based on the size of their respective sectors and the influence they’ve had on the industry as observed by Supercharger, which is a Fintech accelerator with offices in Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.
SuperCharger, Asia Pacific University (APU) and the Centre for Finance Technology and Entrepreneurship (CFTE) collaborated to create multiple Fintech modules as part of the Bachelor’s Degree in Banking and Finance. APU will launch Malaysia’s first academic qualification to include Fintech modules. Award-winning Asia Pacific University (APU) offers the UK Dual Award Bachelor in Banking and Finance (Hons) with a specialism in Financial Technology. Upon completion of the degree, students will receive a degree from APU and another from De Montfort University, UK.
The Fintech modules will include subjects on data mining, predictive analytics, digital currencies, blockchain technologies, crowdfunding and alternative lending, robo-advisory, and entrepreneurial finance. APIIT Education group chief executive officer Datuk Parmjit Singh said the collaboration would ensure that APU graduates will be ready to meet the needs of a rapidly disrupted financial services industry.
Bachelor in Accounting (Fintech) (Honours) Degree Programme in Malaysia at Taylor’s University
Taylor’s Bachelor in Accounting (Fintech) (Honours) Programme is the first of its kind in Malaysia in response to the technological advancements on jobs of the future. The programme blends conventional accounting modules and new/innovative modules that infuse technology into the treatment of financial information.
In addition, students will get an additional Bloomberg Certificate (BMC) upon completion of Corporate Finance module. There are 2 internship opportunities which enables students to reflect on their preferred career path and refine their skills to have an edge in the job market and global economy.
The Bachelor in Accounting (Fintech) (Honours) programme at Taylor’s University is designed to equip students with comprehensive knowledge and understanding in all areas of accounting and financial technology. The key areas include financial accounting, management accounting, audit and assurance, corporate governance, taxation, corporate finance, information systems, blockchain, financial technology, and innovation.
The unique programme provides students with the opportunity to meet the current demands from various industries such as the ‘Big Four’ accounting firms, banking and financial services, multinational corporations, public listed companies, and government agencies.
Graduates will be able to manage accounting-related tasks such as the preparation and analysis of financial statements with an all-round understanding and capacity to evaluate and manage financial technology-related information. Students who intend to pursue a long-term career in accounting are advised to obtain a professional qualification after graduation.
- Graduates will be eligible for ACCA Exemptions.* (Subject to elective taken)
- Graduates will be eligible for CIMA and CTIM Exemptions.
- Graduates will be eligible for MIA Qualifying Examination.** (Upon full accreditation in 2024)