Helping Students after SPM or O-Levels in Malaysia to Choose the Best Course
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
The time after SPM or O-Levels can be confusing for some students as you may not be equipped to choose the right course to study for your Pre-University or Diploma leading to the Degree. With so many courses and education pathways out there, it will take time and effort for you to find out which is the best one to take. In addition, parents, relatives and friends are all giving advise, whether good or bad, and contributing to the confusion. Well, don’t worry, read through the article below, and if you need more help, please do contact me at 01111408838 for free course counselling.
Having worked in the private education industry for more than 20 years, I have counselled thousands of Malaysians students in finding the right course that fits their personality, academic ability, budget and career choice so that they have a successful future. I have worked in the private education industry in marketing and communications therefore I have garnered knowledge and experience about the many courses and private colleges out there. Having conducted market research, this helps in being able to identify the right college that would fit the student.
You might also be interested to read these:
- Top 50 Jobs with High Future Demand in Malaysia
- 30 Jobs with Future High Demand & Salaries in Malaysia – Find Out so you can choose the Best Course to Study Now!
- Study Courses that has High Job Demand in Malaysia
- Top 20 Courses to Study in Malaysia that has High Job Demand & Stable Salary
- Top 10 Best Courses to Study in Malaysia
- What is the Best Course to study after SPM or O-Levels in Malaysia?
- Malaysia’s 28 Top Jobs in Demand in Future with High Salaries
- Top 10 Degree Courses in Malaysia with Highest Starting Salaries
For a free personal consultation on choosing the right course to study, please whatsapp 01111408838
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.
Choosing the Best Course to Study in Malaysia
Choosing the right course after high school or Pre-University can be confusing. Other than interest in the course, students must research carefully the course for its job demand and salary in Malaysia or globally if you want to work overseas. You don’t want to choose a course and then find out that there is no job demand for it or that the salary is too low without much career prospects.
To choose the best course to study in Malaysia, you have to ask yourself the following questions:
- Look at your results – what are your best & worst subjects, and which subjects are your favourite?
- What are your interests & hobbies?
- What is your passion?
- Talk to the counsellors at the private universities to find out in detail about the curriculum of the course to see which one best fits you.
- What is your budget? Discuss the budget for your studies with your parents. A Pre-University (Pre-U) Programme will cost from RM10,000 to RM50,000 while a degree at a private university will cost from RM50,000-RM100,000 for a business course to RM130,000 for a Pharmacy course. To study overseas for degree will cost from RM150,000 to RM200,000 a year including cost of living. If this is out of your budget, then you should consider taking the STPM and going for Public University. If you do not have the finances to study at private universities, then just go for STPM. Note that STPM is extremely tough and takes 2 years of your time. You may not get the degree of your choice when entering into Public University.
- Job demand for the career of choice. There is no point in choosing a course out of passion and then graduate to find out that you cannot get a job in that field.
- Salary of the career of choice
If you are not sure what to study, do ask a trained counsellor and always make decisions based on evidence and facts. The decisions that you make now, can change your life forever. You can contact us for a free career test to help you understand yourself better so that you are able to make the right decision.
Talk to the Best Education Counsellor in Malaysia to Help you Make the Right Choice after SPM
Why am I telling you this? Well, it is important that when you ask for help, you ask the right people. You won’t ask a Doctor on how to repair your car right? Therefore, in making this life changing decision, it is important to ask experienced and knowledgeable people who are interested in your future.
I enjoy helping students find their right place at the college of choice. I love helping students and their families navigate the college and career search process. With thousands of career options and about 500 private colleges & universities out there, it can be a confusing and stressful process.
There are so many different steps involved in applying to college, and I hope to provide clear direction and simplify the process.
EduSpiral gets to know who you are so we can advise you how to choose the best course that fits you
- We review the student’s high school profile, all high school transcripts, projected courses, extracurricular activities, awards, hobbies, interests and outstanding talents.
- Then we discuss the factors that are most important to the student in identifying appropriate colleges & universities that would fit you
- We assist to develop priorities for college selection, including courses of study, location, size, extracurricular opportunities, and many other factors
- Ensure that the student’s interests and achievements are carefully matched with appropriate colleges and universities in Malaysia
- We arrange for a meeting at a relevant private university or college to discuss about the courses that would suit you. We will also take you around the university to tour the campus facilities and explain about what you would study in these courses. This will help you to visualise what it’s like.
- We will arrange for the lecturers to talk to you as well to give you insight into the course.
- With our extensive knowledge of the courses and career, we will share with you on which education path would best suit you.
Top Criteria to Consider When Choosing a Course in Malaysia
- Is the course popular at that college or university? Quality/reputation/ranking of the private college in Malaysia
- Which are the awarding bodies? Are the certificates recognised for enter at all universities overseas?
- Are the courses recognised and approved by the Ministry of Education Malaysia and the relevant external bodies? For example, Malaysian Medical Council (MMC), Malaysian Pharmacy Board, Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM), Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA), Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM), Persatuan Arkitek Malaysia (PAM), etc.
- Are the courses accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Audit (MQA)?
- Subjects offered in the Course. Do they help you to achieve your undergraduate academic goals and equip you well to handle the challenges of the working environment?
- What is the class size? Will you have personal attention from the lecturer?
- Do they have enough students to start a class?
- How many students do they have studying that course at that university?
- What is the duration of the course?
- When do you get your results so that you can meet the application deadline for the overseas university?
- Quality of lecturers. What are their qualifications? How many years of experience in teaching?
- Faculty contact/classes taught by full-time qualified & experienced faculty
- Ask your friends who have studied there for their opinion. Ask your friends who are currently studying there as well.
- Entry requirements
- How much money do I have to pay for the course and cost of living? Ask your parents. Note that you will need to have enough to pay the tuition fees as well as your cost of living. (tuition, hostel, food, transportation, etc.)
- How much are the tuition fees? Does it include the external exam fees and other fees?
- How much is on-campus accommodation?
- How much is off-campus accommodation? Note that it might be cheaper to find off campus accommodation on your own with friends. Is the accommodations near eateries, banks, entertainment, public transportation, etc.?
- What is the student culture at the university? (English-speaking environment, ambitious, serious about studies, lifestyle or party university, etc) The language spoken mostly at the college by the students may also matter if you don’t know Mandarin or BM or English. If most of the students speak Mandarin at that university then it will not help you to improve your English. Having a good command of the English language helps you to get good jobs and promotions.
- What are the Extra-curricular activities available? (Student organisations, clubs, sports, etc.)
- Does the college or university have a dedicated department to assist students for the overseas university and scholarship applications?
- Does the college have regular visits from overseas universities so that you can expose yourself to the various universities and ask questions?
Choosing the Best Course to Study in Malaysia
Choosing the right course to study in Malaysia after high school is one of the most important decisions you can make in your life. This can be a confusing and difficult time if you are unprepared. With the wide variety of courses available to a student, the time after UEC, SPM or STPM can be a confusing one if not guided properly by an experienced and knowledgeable education counselor.
It can be confusing for students to choose the right major for their undergraduate degree studies in Malaysia. Preparations should have been made even before this time but fear not it is still not too late if you have not decided on a career path. It is important for you to research carefully the career that you intend to pursue.
Students after SPM or O-Levels would need to go through some sort of a Pre-University programme before entering into the degree course. Therefore, you still have about 1 to 1.5 years in your Pre-U programme to really figure out what to study for your degree.
Some of the Best Courses to Study in Malaysia
Best Pre-University Programmes in Malaysia
- Foundation in Engineering
- Foundation in Arts
- Foundation in Science
- Foundation in Business
- Foundation (General)
- Foundation in Design
- Pre-University Programmes
Top Engineering and Built Environment Courses in Malaysia
- Mechatronic engineering
- Civil engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering or Aeronautical Engineering
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
- Materials engineering
- Quantity Survey
Outstanding Computing and Information Technology Courses in Malaysia
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
- Information Technology with Database Administration
- Software Engineering
- Computer science or computer engineering
- Information systems security
- Mobile Computing
- Games Development
- Intelligent Systems
- Computer System Engineering
- Business Information Systems
- Business Computing with E-Commerce
First Rate Applied and Health Sciences in Malaysia
- Food science
- Nutrition with Wellness
- Biomedical Science
- Aquatic Science
The Best Business & Accounting Courses in Malaysia
- Accounting & Finance
- Accounting & Finance with Internal Audit
- Accounting & Finance with Forensic Accounting
- Accounting & Finance with Taxation
- Management & Marketing
- Actuarial Science
- Business Administration
- Business Management
- Business Administration
- Banking & Finance
- Finance & Investment
- Finance & Investment
- FOREX & Investment
- Investment & Risk Management
- International Business
- International Business Management
- Entrepreneurship & Marketing
- Finance & Marketing
- Public Relations & Marketing
- Human Resource Management
- Logistics Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Media Marketing
- Advertising & Brand Management
- Branding & Advertising
Excellent Social Science Courses in Malaysia
- Mass Communication
- Marketing Communications
- Film Studies
- Media Studies
- Public Relations
- Entertainment Arts
- Social Media Marketing
Top Design Courses in Malaysia
- Multimedia Design
- Interactive Design
- 3D Animation
- Fashion design with marketing
- Textile & Fashion Design
- Product design
- Transport Design
- CGI & Digital Effects
- Visual Effects
- Entrepreneurial design
- Interior Design
- Interior Architecture
- Graphic Design
- Fashion Design
First Rate Hospitality and Culinary Arts Courses in Malaysia
Education and Music Courses in Malaysia