Admission Requirements for Engineering Diploma Programmes at Private Universities in Malaysia
In order to enter the university for the course that you are interested in, you will need to meet their entry requirements. It is important to find out what the entry requirements are for your course of interest so that you can plan during your high school which Pre-University course would be suitable.
Knowing the requirements, you can then choose the right subjects so that you can enter the course without any problems. Furthermore, some courses will require additional requirements such as English, that you need to meet, therefore, you will need to plan ahead to sit for the relevant exams before the intake starts.
In order to choose the right course that fits you to study in Malaysia, you would also need to know the entry requirements. If you don’t meet the requirements for your course of interest, you may need to opt for another choice. Furthermore, entry requirements would vary from university to university. Students would need to know the different entry requirements for Diploma courses in Malaysia so that you can register or apply for the course. In this article, you will find out what are the entry requirements for Engineering diploma programmes at the private universities in Malaysia.
You may also be interested in:
- Top 40 Courses You Should Choose to Study After SPM that has Future High Job Demand & Salary
- After SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels: Top 10 Tips on How to Make the Right Choice for Your Studies
- 13 Top Technology Courses Malaysians Must Study to Land Jobs of the Future
- Top 10 Business Courses with Future High Job Demand & Salary in Malaysia
- Top 50 Jobs with High Future Demand in Malaysia
- Top 10 Best Degree Courses to Study in Malaysia for Indecisive Pre-U Students
- 20 Jobs of the Future: What Degree Should You Consider?
- List of Top 20 Courses to Study in Malaysia after Pre-U or Foundation with Guaranteed Job Security
- Top 10 Tips on How to Choose the Best University to Study Your Diploma Course After SPM/IGCSE
- Malaysia’s Best Diploma Courses with Future High Job Demand
- Top Courses to Study in Malaysia after SPM/IGCSE with Best Future Job Demand
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Admission Requirements for Engineering Diploma Programmes at Malaysia’s Private Universities
In order to have a successful career as an engineer, students must choose to study at the best private universities in Malaysia whose degree programmes are accredited by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM).
The entry requirements will vary from university to university, some may have higher entry requirements. Therefore, you will need to check with the particular university for their exact requirements. I have listed the basic requirements as stated by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Generally, it is understood that SPM students must have a pass in BM and Sejarah because if you fail either one, means that you have failed the SPM examination. In addition, a “Credit” for SPM/IGCSE/O-Levels are A, B and C. For UEC, a “Credit” is A and B. For the A-Levels, a Principal is from A to E.
What is the Grading System?
|C+||B6||U – Ungraded||C+||F|
What’s the Education Pathway to an Engineering Degree after Secondary School?
Students after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels with at least 3 credits may go for the 2.5-year Engineering Diploma and then enter into Year 2 of the Engineering degree and complete in another 3 years.
What’s the Entry Requirements for Engineering Diploma Programmes?
Students are SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels can enter the field of engineering directly after completing their studies with at least 3 credits. The Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering is an ideal education pathway for students after high school as the course is focused, practical, cost effective and time saving. It is good for students who are sure of being part of the engineering field.
The Electrical & Electronic Engineering diploma programme provides a significant amount of hands-on experience. The curriculum requires 7 semesters of laboratory experience in electrical and electronics including internship.
Hands-on experience provide necessary experience in designing engineering solutions, dealing with implementation issues, and using engineering tools. In addition, you will be exposed with seminars & competitions to be part of the engineering world.
The programme is also designed to provide students with opportunities to undergo practical training in the industry and to obtain hands on experience through final year projects.
Students can take the Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering for 2 years and then upon completion, continue on into Year 2 of any of the engineering fields.
Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering graduates may enter into Year 2 for degree programme such as Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering and more.
Below are the Entry Requirements for the Engineering Diploma
- 3 Credits in at least 3 subjects at SPM level including Mathematics and any Science Subject (Science, Physics, or Chemistry) with a minimum of a pass in Bahasa Malaysia, Sejarah (History) and English;
- 3 Credits (Grade C & above) in at least 3 subjects at IGCSE/ O-Levels including Mathematics and any Science Subjects (Science, Physics, or Chemistry) with a minimum Pass in English at SPM/ O-Level/ IGCSE;
- 3 Credit (Grade B & above) in at least 3 subjects in UEC including Mathematics and any Science subject (Science, Physics, or Chemistry) with a Pass in English;
- Pass Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) or its equivalent with a pass in Mathematics, English and ONE (1) relevant science/technical/vocational subject at the SPM level;
- Recognised Certificate in Engineering/Engineering Technology or its equivalent;
- Recognised related Vocational and Technical/ Skills Certificate or its equivalent with ONE (1) year of relevant work experience or a minimum of ONE (1) semester of a bridging programme;
There are other engineering diploma courses such as the Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Diploma in Mechatronic Engineering and Diploma in Civil Engineering. However, these engineering diploma programmes only enter into their related field. For example, the Diploma in Mechanical Engineering can only enter into Year 2 of the Mechanical Engineering degree and the Diploma in Civil Engineering into the Civil Engineering degree.
Can Arts Stream Students Study the Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering?
Yes, students from the Arts Stream may study engineering through the Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering. You will need at least 3 credits in SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels including Maths and General Science. Upon completion of the Diploma, you may continue into any of the engineering programmes below:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechatronic Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
Transfer credits from Diploma into Degree Year 2 into Top Private Universities in Malaysia
After completing the Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, you can continue on to Year 2 of the Engineering degree if your college or university offers it. You can also transfer credits into another private university.
However, if you transfer to another university, you may not be able to get the full exemptions to enter into Year 2 of the degree. Generally, you could enter into Year 2 of an engineering programme at another private university.
To transfer your credits into another university, you will need to submit the following documents for exemptions:
- Transcripts from your current college or university
- Course outline for all the subjects taken
- Letter of completion or Diploma Certificate
- Copy of SPM Certificate
How to Find Out if I Qualify to Enter the Engineering Course in Malaysia?
Students who are interested to find out if you qualify to enter the engineering course may take picture of your results, trial or mock results and upload them below. I will contact you to let you know.