What are the Entry Requirements for Diploma Courses at Private Universities in Malaysia?
Students after SPM or IGCSE O-Levels who are sure of what they want to study can go for a Diploma course at a private university in Malaysia. The diploma generally is more practical while a degree course is more theoretical and academic. It may require more hands on learning experience in the field of its study so that you are well trained and have specific knowledge the particular field.
In order to choose the right course that fits you to study in Malaysia, you would also need to know the entry requirements. Entry requirements would vary from some private universities and courses. Students after SPM & IGCSE/O-Levels would need to know the different entry requirements for Diploma courses in Malaysia. Foreign branch campuses will have higher entry requirements.
Generally, arts students will never be able to take science-related degree programmes. However, it is possible for arts stream students to enter into engineering courses with the relevant results.
You might also be interested to read:
- Top 10 Tips on How to Make the Right Choice for Your Studies after SPM or IGCSE O-Levels
- Choosing the Right Course After SPM or O-Levels Increases Your Chances of Getting a Good Job & Salary in Malaysia
- Entry Requirements for Foundation, Diploma & Degree Courses in Malaysia
- How to Choose the Best Private University or College in Malaysia that Fits Me?
- Study Courses that has High Job Demand in Malaysia
- Top 20 Courses to Study in Malaysia that has High Job Demand & Stable Salary
- Top 10 Best Courses to Study in Malaysia
- Malaysia’s 28 Top Jobs in Demand in Future with High Salaries
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Diploma Entry Requirements in Malaysia
One of the ways in deciding which course to study is to look at the entry requirements for the courses that you are interested in. You may be interested in a particular course but if you do not meet the entry requirements, then you cannot choose that course.
The entry requirements will vary from university to university so you need to check to find out the exact entry requirements. You may fill up our enquiry form and we can check for you.
Generally, with at least 3 credits in your SPM or IGCSE O-Levels or 3 Bs in UEC, you can join the Diploma course at a private university in Malaysia. In addition, students after SPM must have a pass in BM & Sejarah. However, certain courses especially in health sciences may require a minimum of 5 credits.
Each course will have its specific requirements such as the Diploma in Electronic Engineering will require a credit in Maths and Science, while the Diploma in Information Technology (IT) will need a credit in Maths.
Students from the Arts Stream who are interested to join a Diploma in Mechatronic Engineering or Electrical & Electronic Engineering course will be able to join certain universities with SPM/IGCSE/O-Levels 3 credits including Maths & General Science.
There will be other subject requirements depending on the course & university. Some universities may require a Credit in English.
SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels 3 credits including Maths
- Diploma in Accounting
- Diploma in Finance
- Diploma in Computer Studies
- Diploma in Information Technology (IT)
SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels 3 credits including Maths & General Science or 1 Science Subject
SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels 5 credits including Maths & General Science or 1 Science Subject +Any other THREE subjects (including Bahasa Malaysia and/or English if credits)
- Diploma in Physiotherapy
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT)
- Diploma in Medical Imaging (Radiography)
SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels 3 credits in Any Subject
- Diploma in Business Administration or Management
- Diploma in Business with Information Technology (IT)
- Diploma in Logistics Management
- Diploma in Interior Design or Diploma in Interior Architecture
- Diploma in Fashion Design & Marketing
- Diploma in Multimedia Design
- Diploma in 3D Animation
- Diploma in Digital Animation and Visual Effects
- Diploma in Creative Audio (Sound Engineering)
- Diploma in Hotel Management or Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Event Management
- Diploma in Culinary Arts
- Diploma in Baking or Pastry
- Diploma in Mass Communication
- Diploma in Law Enforcement Administration
Diploma in Nursing Entry Requirements
Some courses like the Diploma in Nursing will have higher entry requirements as specified by the Nursing Board.
SPM / O Level / equivalent:
5 Credits in Bahasa Malayu (Malaysian Candidates)
Science: General Science or
Chemistry & pass in Biology or
Physics & pass in Biology
2 other subjects (Malaysian Candidates) / 3 other subjects (International Candidates)
Malaysian candidates: Pass in English
International candidates: Pass IELTS with minimum 5.5 / TOEFL with minimum 515/215/80) (if qualification obtained is from an institution where English is not the medium of instruction) and able to converse in Bahasa Melayu;
- All candidates must be certified medically fit by a registered medical practitioner within one month from commencement of the nursing programme
- Students must not have any physical disabilities or impaired senses that hinders nursing dexterity
- Students with medical conditions such as HIV, AIDS, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, epilepsy, mental health disorders and color blindness cannot be admitted into the programme.
- Pregnancy is not allowed throughout the course
What is the grading system for your high school results in Malaysia? Look at the chart below to find out. A credit in SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels is anything from A to C. In UEC, a C is not a credit.
|C+||B6||U – Ungraded||C+||F|
Why Should You Study a Diploma Course after SPM or IGCSE O-Levels?
- The diploma course is more practical with mixed assessment.
- You have at least 3 credits in SPM, IGCSE O-Levels or UEC to enter the Diploma programme
- Students may apply for the PTPTN Loan for Diploma courses. There is no PTPTN Loan for Foundation & External Pre-University programmes
- You will study the subjects that you are interested in. The subjects are specific to your field of interest.
- Upon completion of the Diploma, you may choose to start work or continue on to Year 2 of the related degree
- Some diploma courses have internships which provides an opportunity for you to work for the company when you graduate.
- If you are considering going for Form 6, the STPM will take about 2 years, if you calculate the time after your SPM until you enter into Public University. The time you take for STPM, you would have completed the diploma course. Furthermore, the STPM exam is very tough and there is a chance that you might not do well.
- A diploma course is generally cheaper.
Can I change to another private university for the degree course?
After completing your diploma, you can continue on to Year 2 of the related degree if your college or university offers it or you can transfer the diploma credits to another private university in Malaysia or even overseas to Australia or UK.
How to Transfer credits from Diploma into Degree Year 2 into Top Private Universities in Malaysia
Most diplomas can be transferred to another college or university into the Year 2 of the relevant programme. If you have taken the Diploma in Accounting, it is highly likely that you can enter into Year 2 of the degree in Accounting or Accounting & Finance.
For the Diploma in Business Administration, you can enter into Year 2 of the degree in Business Administration depending on the exemptions.
However, if you go from the Diploma in Business Administration into the Degree in Accounting, then you may not get the optimum amount of exemptions because the subjects in your diploma are not similar with the degree course of the university that you want to transfer to.
To transfer your credits into another university, you will need to submit the following documents for exemptions:
- Transcripts from your current college or university
- Course outline for all the subjects taken
- Syllabus for all the subjects taken
- Letter of completion or Diploma Certificate
- Copy of SPM/IGCSE/O-Levels Certificate